Michael Vick: I can help the Jets get to a Super Bowl

vick AP

Jets quarterback Michael Vick may be a backup, but he’s a backup with a lot of confidence in what he can bring to his team.

“I just feel like I can help any football team, any organization, particularly this football team, get to a Super Bowl,” Vick told Gary Myers of the New York Daily News. “It’s tough at this stage of my career because I still feel like I’m a fairly young player and I can still keep up. People make it seem like I’m getting older and things are not the same. I beg to differ.”

Vick has never been to a Super Bowl, which he says is because he has never been on a team that had all the pieces in place. But he thinks the Jets may be that team.

“Sometimes, I feel like I’ve been dealt the short end of the stick because I haven’t had all those components over the years,” he said. “I never complained because this is an unbelievable league, it’s a great league and I’ve been blessed to play in it. Of course, I wish I had a Super Bowl and wish I could have accomplished more things. But, hey, I still got an opportunity and that’s what I am thinking.”

Having said all that, Vick is continuing to insist that the starting quarterback job belongs to Geno Smith.

“I think Geno is going to be the starter. I think he is going to start this season off,” Vick said. “I think Geno has every opportunity to go out and have success. He is going to get that opportunity.”

The job may be Smith’s right now, but if Vick really believes he can help the Jets get to a Super Bowl, then Vick likely thinks that he’ll eventually be the starter.

Permalink 79 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
79 Responses to “Michael Vick: I can help the Jets get to a Super Bowl”
  1. keithdylan says: May 24, 2014 4:38 PM

Does he have a party bus to drive them all?

2. fifthinterception says: May 24, 2014 4:40 PM

Does he have a party bus to drive them all?

Don’t be ridiculous. He obviously knows someone that can get them tickets.

3. twoticketstoparadise20 says: May 24, 2014 4:42 PM

He has a second job as a travel agent.

4. wayneflores says: May 24, 2014 4:46 PM

He should be starter, but they don’t want to impead Genoa process. Not to utilize the better player impedes the team.

5. wwwmattcom says: May 24, 2014 4:47 PM

All those other teams wasted so much cap space on him…..this might be the only way he gets to the commercial bowl.

6. whatjusthapped says: May 24, 2014 4:49 PM

Its far fetched to imagine the Jets making it to the playoffs much less the Superbowl, its delusional to think the Jets getting there with Vick at Qb.

Vick is clearly not a very bright individual but these pyscotic episodes are scary.

7. grendelg says: May 24, 2014 4:50 PM

Hmm… If only you hadn’t wasted years first not working hard or studying, then sitting in prison… I wonder whose fault that is?

8. Nofoolnodrool says: May 24, 2014 4:56 PM

He must be buying the tickets and got a good rate on the rooms.

9. showtime1911 says: May 24, 2014 5:00 PM

Come get me Vick. I’m waiting here on stand-bye.

10. barsfordays says: May 24, 2014 5:00 PM

Jets have a scary Defense and Vick looked good for Philly before getting injured. Super bowl may be a stretch but it wouldnt be crazy to think the Jets could make the playoffs

11. baltimorons says: May 24, 2014 5:01 PM

He must on plan on becoming the head coach.

12. buffalodiehard says: May 24, 2014 5:09 PM

The Jets do have all the pieces… Just look at that receiving corp!

13. doctorrustbelt says: May 24, 2014 5:15 PM

The Jets should have spent the money on offensive line and/or tight ends.

They should have kept Mark Sanchez because Geno Smith and michael vick ARE NOT the answer.

14. nomoreseasontix says: May 24, 2014 5:15 PM

Just exactly like you helped Atlanta and Philly get to a Super Bowl.
    You’ve definitely got the magic touch.

15. Robert says: May 24, 2014 5:18 PM

Vickie will be out by game 3.

16. dickshotdogs says: May 24, 2014 5:20 PM

My goodness, Mike. You can’t make it to week ten, how in the h-e double hockey sticks are you gonna git ‘em to February? Sheesh.

17. sarcasm says: May 24, 2014 5:20 PM

I like Rex Ryan. I hate that he has aligned him self with this filth.

18. bigbwoy000 says: May 24, 2014 5:21 PM

He can also help a coach get fired too!! Just ask, Dan Reeves (who traded up to get the phenom), Jim Mora Jr & most recently Andy Reid. He has a much better record at that then any postseason play. He took over a team in 2010 that had been to the NFC championship game a little over a year before & was one & done in the playoffs after intercepting that opportunity away.

19. damcmp says: May 24, 2014 5:36 PM

haha Deluded they always are….Ego kills!!!!

20. nytitans says: May 24, 2014 5:43 PM

jets will be the best team in two thousand fourteen

21. voiceofreasonays says: May 24, 2014 5:49 PM

You wish, DAWG!

22. somethinghappeninghere says: May 24, 2014 5:52 PM

A lot of so-called experts are saying with all the FAs and a 12 player draft the Jets are a very possible playoff team. Rexy is saying the Jets are definitely a playoff team, and now basically so is Vick.

Thing is, the Jets did make playoffs all the way to the AFC Champ games in 2009 and 2010, but then the Jets had a top OL, Thomas Jones and LT, Dustin Keller and Laverneous Coles, Jericho Cotchery, and then Braylon Edwards for Sanchez to throw to…and that great defense!

Other than the DL, nothing about the Jets suggests playoff caliber. The other teams in the AFC East can concentrate on Decker and Kerley…other teams containing CBs like Revis and Grimes…so just because the Jets got their act together last year against a Dolphins team traumatized by BullyGate and the Bills, that doesn’t mean they can overtake the Patriots or get a wildcard. The “us against the world” attitude they had last year served them well, but their overconfidence this year will certainly not.

23. jaygruntboston says: May 24, 2014 5:57 PM

who cares what this federal felon has to say, and why would reporters even ask him what he thinks? the chances are far greater of him hanging his neighbors dog, than the Jets going to the playoffs or superbowl, and the latter is the biggest joke of all!

24. gohometrolls says: May 24, 2014 6:09 PM

Don’t care who starts just get us there and shut these trolls and haters up.

25. kev86 says: May 24, 2014 6:15 PM

Give it a rest Vick.

26. gopblows says: May 24, 2014 6:19 PM

bigbwoy000 says:
    May 24, 2014 5:21 PM

______________________________

How about Phillip Rivers, Matt Schaub, Jay Cutler, Tony Romo, Alex Smith?

By the way, how many games did Dan Reeves & Jim Mora win after being fired in Atlanta?

27. datageek94 says: May 24, 2014 6:22 PM

Vick continues to display the very pinnacle of team spirit. He shouldn’t give interviews promoting himself while giving a hypocritical acknowledgement to being a teammate.

What a waste.

28. jrcoop says: May 24, 2014 6:26 PM

One mini-camp, and the first jets SB prediction… what took so long?

29. thegreatgabbert says: May 24, 2014 6:27 PM

Mike continues to insist that the starting job is Geno’s to lose.

30. toybkshr says: May 24, 2014 6:27 PM

Does he have a pilot’s license?

31. thegonz13 says: May 24, 2014 6:32 PM

Mike, the only way you can get the Jets to the Super Bowl is if you have connections with TicketMaster or Stub Hub…

32. mymanmccoy says: May 24, 2014 6:33 PM

Clearly drinking the Rex kool aid here. He couldn’t get it done in atlanta or philly and he’ll end his career on the the third play of the first drive he gets to lead.

33. dzor22 says: May 24, 2014 6:41 PM

How many Super Bowl opportunities were lost because MV7 couldn’t…or wouldn’t hang on to the ball.

34. eagleswin says: May 24, 2014 7:10 PM

Wow. He just left huge tread marks on Andy Reid (who was the only one who would give him a chance after prison) and Chip Kelly after running them over.

Now that he knows the 20 mill/yr contracts are over he can show his real feelings.

35. thestrategyexpert says: May 24, 2014 7:25 PM

What the heck is he talking about now? Why is youth so important if he plans on being a mentor to the starter and what does he mean about having an opportunity? Is he back into the attitude of wanting to play again?

36. charmcitychampions says: May 24, 2014 7:28 PM

Geno might not be good enough to push the Jets in the playoffs….Vick definitely isn’t good enough. This guy is just using the press to create a locker room rift.

37. raiderapologist says: May 24, 2014 7:34 PM

Woof woof, Mike.

38. phillynation1986 says: May 24, 2014 7:44 PM

Yea, just like you helped the Eagles win one. Guy is completely delusional.

39. annes22 says: May 24, 2014 7:55 PM

What is Michael Vick thinking when he says that?
    What has he done at any time that makes him think the Jets are going to the Super Bowl. I guess he had a bad dream last night, and that’s where it came from. Another stupid thing to say before camp has even started. Go back and dream on Mike.

40. bostonfrogs says: May 24, 2014 7:55 PM

Yes, it seems that we’re all in agreement that the only way Vick will take the Jets to the Super Bowl is by paying for the entire team’s transportation–the only question remaining is whether he’ll have the audacity to choose Greyhound..

41. bleedgreen says: May 24, 2014 8:18 PM

whatjusthapped says:
    May 24, 2014 4:49 PM
    ———————-

Is it? They were in the mix until the last 1/4 of the season. They upgraded receivers, and either Geno is better than last year or Vick plays. Either way, they get better QB play. They added a RB that hasn’t had less than 1000 yards in the past 6 or so years. They drafted pretty decently. Its not that out there to think they could compete for the wild card.

42. bbbmf says: May 24, 2014 8:30 PM

He’s answering interview questions. Is he supposed to say, “Our team sucks and I can’t play anymore”?
    Geez.

43. fiverings37 says: May 24, 2014 8:42 PM

sure, if he charters a “jet”.

44. edawg7l says: May 24, 2014 8:45 PM

I was going to say something funny, but pasting the whole article as my comment would be the best joke.

45. rams1999 says: May 24, 2014 8:49 PM

LOL!!!

That’s a good one :)
    Hey at least give Vick credit for developing a sense of humor.

46. realitycheckbaby says: May 24, 2014 8:53 PM

Yes, a fat dog killer is all that’s needed.

47. danmarinos1stlovechild says: May 24, 2014 9:13 PM

Does he know a guy who knows a guy cuz who has the hookup for 53 tickets cuz otherwise I don’t see how?

48. mykpfsu says: May 24, 2014 9:13 PM

he should have enough money for travel fare. Not sure if he has enough for tickets. He may just be able to get the offense there.

49. i10east says: May 24, 2014 9:14 PM

Dream Team! Championship!!!

50. rmavs says: May 24, 2014 9:19 PM

Vick and lead in the same sentence makes me laugh.

51. fordmandalay says: May 24, 2014 9:43 PM

The good thing is; the Jest circus continues to tour, giving us all priceless entertainment. What a show! (munches popcorn)

52. armchairqb says: May 24, 2014 9:57 PM

Wow … I just threw up from laughing so hard.

53. xsorethumbx says: May 24, 2014 10:00 PM

talk like a jet

54. mnsadsportsfan says: May 24, 2014 10:00 PM

Yeah sure you can . hahahahahaha

55. taintedsaints2009 says: May 24, 2014 10:00 PM

Vick is as delusional as the hype behind the jets.

56. rodh32340 says: May 24, 2014 10:34 PM

Vick just wants to keep cashing those game checks for as long as he can..

57. hansenbrothers says: May 24, 2014 10:45 PM

Makes sense, with all of his extensive Super Bowl experience

58. ftbllfan4life says: May 24, 2014 11:05 PM

as I said in another thread…..T

There is nothing wrong with what Vick is saying. He knows that the plan is not for him to be a starter but if he ever gets the chance he feels he can lead the team to the playoffs and then who knows after that. What exactly is wrong with that?

59. dbfan4ever says: May 24, 2014 11:14 PM

I believe if Vick is a starting qb he will get injured like he does every year

60. beachsidejames says: May 24, 2014 11:51 PM

Mike working on that stand up comedy routine again.

61. beerndrums says: May 24, 2014 11:56 PM

I won’t believe it till Broadway Joe says it aint so

62. sdchicken says: May 25, 2014 12:24 AM

Vick said in order to get to the Super Bowl, you take the 3rd street freeway on ramp to th 95 south, go a few hundred miles and exit 43rd avenue. Super Bowl should be 2 blocks over on the left.

63. xxakshunxx says: May 25, 2014 12:42 AM

He had the right components when he forced an interception against the Packers a couple years ago

64. Canadian Betting says: May 25, 2014 12:52 AM

At least Vick never butt fumbles the ball. You can never count the guy out.

65. vaughnjoe says: May 25, 2014 4:15 AM

Oh its the latest QB reality story from NY. I have my money on vick. Im sorry but I have no idea why theyre wasting their time on geno

66. wallabear says: May 25, 2014 4:59 AM

Why does this sound like “Shady” mouthin’ off again? lol Michael, at Five-Foot-Eleven (and a millimeter), your TD:INT ratio during your 11-year active career has not been the very best. If Marty Mornhinweg can rekindle what he did for you on offense during the Eagles 2010 campaign, then yes, you can give Gang Green that boost to make the playoffs. But first, you are going to have to beat out “pocket-passer” Geno Smith whose TD:INT ratio one would expect to greatly improve, now that he’s self-scouted himself on every throw from the 2013 Jets Season. I’m certainly rooting for Gang Green.

67. Eutaw's Finest says: May 25, 2014 6:39 AM

… By buying them tickets with the money I essentially stole from my contract in Philly.

68. skinsgal4life says: May 25, 2014 7:49 AM

Yes, and Serena Williams is going to ask me to be her next doubles partner! I will be so glad when Vick is finally out of the league.

69. sportsfan18 says: May 25, 2014 8:17 AM

Hurry Jets!

Better administer the concussion protocols for M. Vick…

It’s bad too! He’s walking around mumbling about taking this Jets team to the Super Bowl…

70. sterling7 says: May 25, 2014 9:33 AM

Play a complete season first!

71. patsfan112 says: May 25, 2014 11:01 AM

Is it a requirement that all Jets players have egos the size of Texas? lol

72. Billsweregreatonce says: May 25, 2014 11:20 AM

It’s the JETS……… Hahahahaha

73. marvinband9 says: May 25, 2014 12:18 PM

I think he is driving the bus.

74. stunzeed5 says: May 25, 2014 12:27 PM

Poor guy was on some atrocious Eagle teams!

75. muencht says: May 25, 2014 7:00 PM

So Vick is going to take the Jets to the SB. Big words for a QB who can’t play a full season due to injuries. And for a team that ranked horribly last year on offense. If this miracle is to be, two things must happen

1. Vick must be protected; if you watch him the past 2 years in Philly, he got no protection as QB and was driven into the ground on almost every play. Cracked ribs. If he can remain healthy, Vick does have the skills I think.

2. There must be some offense. The Jets have a pretty good defense and last year one of the worst offenses in the league. Chris Ivory is a good RB, and new RB Chris Johnson should help. The problem will be receivers. WR Eric Decker might be the ticket.

These are two BIG IFs.

76. 34defense2014 says: May 26, 2014 7:42 PM

He said any team? Any organization? With this Defense!! They should make the Playoffs at the very least!! Anything short of that is failure!!!

77. 34defense2014 says: May 26, 2014 7:47 PM

I would much rather talk like a “Jet” Then cheat like a “Pat” lol lol lol

78. 34defense2014 says: May 26, 2014 7:54 PM

Has it been me? Or does it seem odd ever since Eric Ratted out Billy the Pat’s have lost every Super Bowl since? Just wondering?? lol

79. mikelovesfootball says: May 27, 2014 12:21 PM

Whoa whoa whoa here. Guaranteeing Super Bowls is Rex’s job. Vick has proven he can lead a team for like 4 or 5 games per season before injury. The only way the Jets get to even see the Super Bowl is from their couches.

–Mike