Michael Philipp makes most of his chance with Miami

Philipp AP

Following a trail blazed by LeBron James, Oregon State offensive lineman Michael Philipp will see a pro career that started in Cleveland continue in Miami.

That’s where the similarities end.

Signed by the Browns after going undrafted, Cleveland whacked Philipp after a rookie minicamp.  He received an invitation to participate in the Dolphins’ rookie minicamp on a tryout basis, and Joe Philbin and company liked what they saw.

Per Omar Kelly of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel, Philipp has signed with the Dolphins after taking snaps at guard and tackle for the weekend camp.

Philipp started 48 career games at Oregon State at left and right tackle, finishing his career with 26 straight starts.  He has a long way to go to make the 53-man roster, but at least he has a chance.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill
23 Responses to “Michael Philipp makes most of his chance with Miami”
  1. thestrategyexpert says: May 25, 2014 7:36 PM

That’s fantastic, cause a lot of good college players won’t even get ONE shot with an NFL team since there’s just not enough professional football jobs to go around sadly and unfortunately.

To not make it once but then get a rebound chance is a great story if he can crack that roster. He only put up 19 reps on the bench press so he should spend as much time as possible to get as strong as possible, that way in case he doesn’t make the roster at least he can have fun blowing up a few people on tape before it’s all over, and who knows, maybe some day some other team will like what they see on his Miami preseason tape.

2. tellthetruth1313 says: May 25, 2014 7:37 PM

Pulling for him.

3. vik3z says: May 25, 2014 7:53 PM

there were never ANY similarities between this guy and lebron james. talk about a reach, florio. he got cut by cleveland and was given a contract by miami. he didnt decide to take his talents to south beach, heck he didnt even play a game for cleveland. smh

4. prareedoggin says: May 25, 2014 8:06 PM

Im a die hard fins fan and have watched them since I was a little kid, but lately they just continue to let me down. All hype for absoulute garbage on the field. We will win a big game and beat another big team then lay 4 straight stinkers. I refuse to get to high on them anymore. I recently spent two yrs in Seattle(born n raised in Miami) and was neighbors with several seahawks. That’s a real team.

- sad finsfan

5. raiderapologist says: May 25, 2014 8:18 PM

prareedoggin says: May 25, 2014 8:06 PM

——————————–
    All teams are real. Seattle is just currently good.

6. calibama707 says: May 25, 2014 8:19 PM

Wat does this have to do with lebron??? #JustReaching

7. bsizemore68 says: May 25, 2014 8:21 PM

It’s not sad to see you run to Seattle, enjoy and don’t come back. Bill

8. cwk22 says: May 25, 2014 8:39 PM

Would love for my Fins to find a gold nugget in a guy like this. Would be a great story after all the recent bad press.

9. prareedoggin says: May 25, 2014 8:56 PM

I’m not running to seattle lol i was just comparing teams. I stated im a fin fan, always have been, still am, and always will be. We suck lately. You know it and I know it

10. footstepsfalco says: May 25, 2014 10:18 PM

You know Miami beat Seattle in their last outing, 2012 Tannehill’s rookie season..

11. 305phinphan says: May 25, 2014 10:23 PM

@prareedoggin

The great things about sports is you don’t have to like a certain team because you grew up in the area they play. I love the Dolphins and even though I’m too young to enjoy any of the success they had in the 70′s I was fortunate enough to watch Marino for a few years.

Sports should be an outlet, something that brings you joy if the Dolphins don’t do that for you there’re are plenty of other teams that have had recent success that you can root for. Yes, it’s been a drought for quite some time for the Dolphins but all I can do is hope it gets turned around but if this year turns out to be a repeat of the past decade I’ll still cheer for my squad every time they step upon the field and hope they walk away with a win. Ask yourself why are you a Dolphins fan? If the reasons are not worth sticking with them because they haven’t made the playoffs in quite some time and you want to root for a team that has better odds. No one is stopping you from doing so.

12. 69finfan says: May 25, 2014 10:42 PM

Hey Praree, no you are not a die hard Fins Fan.

13. tre747 says: May 26, 2014 12:33 AM

@praree

I don’t know if you want attention or sympathy but you can’t do your crying here, if you are a REAL fin fans, I got two words for you:

MAN UP

The true fin fans suffered thru on of the worse seasons last year as we got criticized for using the term, “toughen him up”, and raked over the coals because one of our 300+lb linemen was whining about some guy talking about his Mama. This year we again are pummeled or the word “horrible”. So please don’t claim to be a fin fan until you pull yourself together and put your pants back on. Consider Miami NWZ, no wimp zone. Die hard? Be for real.

14. prareedoggin says: May 26, 2014 1:56 AM

Lmao how are you to say im not. I only root for Miami. That’s my team. I said we sucked lately. Yall got butthurt, its true. I’m still a fan and will still root for them as I always do, the past decade hasn’t deterred me. All I said is I won’t get my hopes up. Then I’m chastised. Lol ok guys. And the Seattle reference was because I moved there to open blue martini, my neighbor was Russel. I got to know the team not as a fan but as a person and u better believe I talked crap to them when the fins hit that game winning field goal but the point was they were a great team. That’s not my team #2. I only have 1 team and thats Miami. My fav yrs were when Madison n Surtain locked down the secondary with Marion and we had bowens and Armstrong and Taylor with Gardner Thomas etc ect im a defense guy

15. danmarinos1stlovechild says: May 26, 2014 6:42 AM

I doubt he’ll even make the practice squad.

16. drummer2177 says: May 26, 2014 7:15 AM

Try being a Redskins fan…..even when we win we lose.

17. cubancigar10 says: May 26, 2014 9:27 AM

May 25, 2014 8:06 PM

- sad finsfan

14 66
    /////////////////////

Enjoy the Seahawks—you have officiallybeen discontinued as a loyal fan!!!

18. phinfanatic84 says: May 26, 2014 10:59 AM

I used to split season tickets with my cousin in West Palm but after Bill Parcells and Jeff Ireland turned the Phins into big, old, and slow we didn’t renew and after Ireland traded away Marshall for two 3rd rd picks after giving up two 2nd rd picks a couple years earlier, I stopped attending games in Miami. It was more protest than saving my vacation days and airfare but the Phins are still a mess.

The whole Incognito situation was handled wrongly as well. I get that the media and Martin’s lawyer wanted to run with the whole racial discrimination angle but I read every one those text messages from Deadspin and it was obvious that Incognito was Martin’s only “friend” on the team. The team suspended Incognito but never did a thing to John Jerry or Mike Pouncy who obviously bullied Martin way more than Incognito did. The Dolphins talk about changing their locker room culture and focusing on high character guys but then go draft 3 players who were kicked off of their college teams? Am I the only one who sees the disconnect between what the Dolphins have been saying and reality?

19. scmems07 says: May 26, 2014 11:29 AM

seattle has been in the league since 1976 and has 2 sb appearences with 1 win, miami has been in the league since 1972 and have 5 sb appearences with 2 wins not to mention the first team to go to 3 sb’s in a row, the 2nd best winning % in nfl history and the ONLY undefeated team in pro sports history and somehow seattle is a “real” team……. sounds more like a closet troll than a fan.

20. thelastpieceofcheese says: May 26, 2014 11:38 AM

Michael who?

21. 305phinphan says: May 26, 2014 12:57 PM

We’ll if you’re a defense guy you should love the fact Miami has a pretty good defense heading into the season. Yes, there’s question marks but having a Dline that consists of Jordan, Vernon, Wake, Odrick, and Starks to name a few should bring some excitement.

Or what about the secondary of Grimes, Finnegan, Taylor, Davis, Aikens, Delmas, Wilson, and Jones? If you ask me that is a better squad than we’ve had in years past.

Hopefully the LB crew can get it together but with Jenkins getting a year under his belt and Tripp bringing athleticism there’ll be some healthy competition this year.

They did beat the Pats, Steelers, Bengals so there’s optimism they can be better than the 8-8 record they posted last season. It all falls on Tannehill. If he improves which there’s no reason to believe he won’t this team could easily be a playoff squad. If you’re a fan like you say you are quit looking at the glass half empty and look at it half full.

22. jrcoop says: May 26, 2014 1:08 PM

It wasn’t that long ago that not only Seattle, but the entire NFC West sucked. Things can and do change in the NFL.

23. joemammy says: May 27, 2014 4:28 PM

An undrafted OL would have to be pretty outstanding to even be considered practice squad material with the Cleveland Browns.

But the Dolphins? Not so much.