Former target of bullying eyes Incognito’s spot on Miami line

BillyTurner Getty Images

The Dolphins need a new left guard, given the no-brainer decision not to bring back Richie Incognito.  Enter third-rounder Billy Turner, who brings a fitting set of experiences to the spot previously occupied by one of the most notorious bullies in the NFL.

I was the one getting bullied all the time by my older brother when I was growing up,” Turner said recently, via Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald.  “When I started playing football, I played up with older guys.  I came in and played center right away, and everyone thought they were going to beat me up and bully me because I was younger.  They thought I was going to be soft.

“But I just got out there and unleashed my anger. The anger I had built up from getting mad and [peeved] at my older brother was what came out in my play.  That’s how I developed that strategy and that style of playing with a chip on my shoulder.”

He now plans to bully opponents, in a way that’s socially acceptable.

“When I put the helmet on and I snap it up, it’s like a switch getting turned on,” Turner said.  “I’m [full throttle] every play. I’m not going to give up on anything. And from the moment that ‘h’ comes out on the ‘hut’ I’m going to be as aggressive as I possibly can with the play call, trying to beat that guy and trying to bruise him.”

As Salguero points out, Turner seems to be the exact opposite of the more quiet and reserved first-round tackle Ja’Wuan James, whose personality reminded some scouts a little too much of the former Miami tackle who was the target of Incognito’s antics.  They hope they’ll get the same production from Turner that they got from Incognito, without the off-field issues.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill
26 Responses to “Former target of bullying eyes Incognito’s spot on Miami line”
  1. thestrategyexpert says: May 26, 2014 4:08 PM

That’s a fine attitude, just think of opponent players as stepping stones for your own career.

2. htown995 says: May 26, 2014 4:22 PM

Great young man hope u make it in the nfl u should be starting coming september as bad as miami’s offensive line is

3. doctorrustbelt says: May 26, 2014 4:25 PM

Addition thru subtraction (of low character richie incognito).

4. 700levelvet says: May 26, 2014 4:30 PM

Older brother bullies younger brother… Has this ever happened before ??? Lol

5. cuda1234 says: May 26, 2014 4:37 PM

No brainer, indeed. Who would want a pro-bowl starting guard with leadership committee experience? The Dolphins are far to good to want a guy like that around.

6. craniator says: May 26, 2014 4:42 PM

I think Turner will be a solid player in the NFL , if not a Pro Bowl player. He works hard at his craft , wants to succeed and in my opinion , has the talent to do so.

7. uwsptke says: May 26, 2014 4:47 PM

Aren’t his comments suggesting that being bullied helped him develop? That’s an odd anti-bullying stance.

8. woodreaux70119 says: May 26, 2014 4:50 PM

…bullied by an older brother??? is that even possible? how ridiculous… simply proves the wussification of america theory…

9. jacobslatter says: May 26, 2014 4:59 PM

Why can’t people just be nicer to each other?

10. realnflmaster says: May 26, 2014 5:01 PM

His brother “bullied him” oh give me a break. Grow some thicker skin, that’s all apart of growing up. Sibling rivalries.

11. ampats says: May 26, 2014 5:09 PM

Playing in the AFCE the Dolphins are used to getting bullied by the Patriots.

12. scmems07 says: May 26, 2014 5:20 PM

i still love how the media get’s off on jabbing miami for having “former players that are bully’s” acting like it’s the worst thing in the world. the media bully’s players all the time asking them questions over and over trying to get a response out of them so they can lite the fire and write thier stories.

lets see

richie incognito- former miami dolphin who was a bully

arron hernandez- former NE patriot who was a murderer

i think im ok with my team getting rid of some bullies compared to some other teams issues.

13. shakespeare22 says: May 26, 2014 5:34 PM

Google Billy Turner Driven – it’s must see.

14. ejm845 says: May 26, 2014 5:36 PM

It dosen’t matter seasons over anyway they still don’t have a QB tranny was projected as a 4th rounder and they took him with the 8th overall pic hahaha losers

15. jrcoop says: May 26, 2014 5:41 PM

Sounds like he would have handled the situation differently than Martin. You know, like a 300 lb NFL O-lineman with a set. Looks like an upgrade on that alone.

16. dcapettini says: May 26, 2014 6:26 PM

I wish the Ravens would sign Incognito. He is a complete jerk but he sure can play and mean offensive linemen is just what the Ravens need now after Michael Oher and Gradkowski. They really don’t have any rookie linemen for him to intimidate and I don’t think that kind of thing would go over in Baltimore anyway. You just know that one of the guards is going to go down. It always works that way when you are thin at a position.

17. bigjd says: May 26, 2014 6:48 PM

I’d say something negative, but I’m afraid I might hurt someone’s feelings or offend someone.

18. rutledge3197 says: May 26, 2014 7:59 PM

Patriots…… So sick of the fair weather fan base yappin …. Didn’t hear a word from them at all EVER til 2001….. All that comes to end in September …..

19. phinfanatic84 says: May 26, 2014 8:16 PM

Incognito was very popular amongst his teammates in Miami. Its addition by subtraction of low character Incognito yet Mike Pouncy remains a Dolphin?

Jonathan Martin just isn’t aggressive enough by nature to be a mauler on the offensive line. He needed to grow a pair because he never had a fire lit under his ass by his Harvard educated parents who both are attorney’s and pampered him growing up. Incognito, Pouncy, and John Jerry tried to toughen him and Nate Garner up unlike Garner, Martin folded up.

20. thegreatgabbert says: May 26, 2014 8:52 PM

“Hey, Richie, I’ve got your job ……na, na, na. Na, na, na……”.

21. daddyb1gdrawz says: May 26, 2014 8:56 PM

Sounds like someone watched “The Waterboy”.

22. thegreatgabbert says: May 26, 2014 10:53 PM

Billy took Rich’s lunch ticket.

23. thegreatgabbert says: May 26, 2014 11:06 PM

Billy is operating under the credo – “Take a guy’s lunch money and you make him go hungry for a day. Take his job and you make him go hungry for life.”.

24. bengalskuta82 says: May 26, 2014 11:34 PM

Hes just saying that to protect himself

25. schmitty2 says: May 27, 2014 10:41 AM

I sympathize with Turner.My brother gave me a wedgie once and somehow..someway I was able to overcome the odds and lead a productive life.

26. nyfcat says: May 28, 2014 10:19 AM

My older brother “bullied” me too. That’s what older brothers do.