Matt Slauson out after shoulder surgery

Martellus Bennett, Matt Slauson AP

The Bears are likely going to be without one of their starting guards until training camp.

Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune reports that left guard Matt Slauson had surgery on his right shoulder to repair a partial labrum tear. Slauson is likely to miss the rest of OTAs and minicamp, but Biggs reports that the Bears are confident he’ll be ready “well in advance” of training camp.

Slauson reportedly could have tried to play through the injury, but chose to have the operation now in hopes of being 100 percent before the start of the season.

Slauson started all 16 games for the Bears last season, his first in Chicago after four years with the Jets, and signed a four-year, $12.8 million deal to remain with the team earlier in the offseason. Eben Britton and Brian de la Puente saw time with the first team in Slauson’s absence on Tuesday.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Rumor Mill
15 Responses to “Matt Slauson out after shoulder surgery”
  1. In Teddy We Trust says: May 27, 2014 6:03 PM

The surgeon will employ the famous “Slauson Cutoff” to repair the shoulder.

Johnny Carson fans will get that joke.

2. barsfordays says: May 27, 2014 6:07 PM

They’ll use this injury as an excuse when they miss the playoffs…

3. larryboodry says: May 27, 2014 6:21 PM

Glad he chose to have it now. We need him 100% when it counts.

4. 1bigtex says: May 27, 2014 6:48 PM

I was running a job in Long Beach several years ago. I had to go to Los Angeles to get material. My route required that I take the Slauson Cutoff. I resisted the urge to get out of the car, cut off my slauson, and get back in the car.

5. dg0122 says: May 27, 2014 7:22 PM

I thought the Slauson Cutoff was the cheap shoot he threw on Brian Cushing in 2012

6. bassplucker says: May 27, 2014 8:08 PM

I wish this would have been done in February vs waiting till now but it is what it is. He was a great pickup by the Bears. I hope he’s good to go by training camp. Meanwhile some of their depth players will get valuable increased reps during the OTAs.

7. Waffle 2.0 says: May 27, 2014 8:27 PM

barsfordays says: May 27, 2014 6:07 PM

They’ll use this injury as an excuse when they miss the playoffs…
    ————————-
    nerd. ball.

8. jazsrt says: May 27, 2014 8:34 PM

Hixon is out now with a torn ACL as well.

9. The Steelers created the NFL. The Steelers defined what it means to play football. We win Super Bowls. Wow, we are important. You shrivel in our immense shadow. Think about it. says: May 27, 2014 8:40 PM

This guy is garbage anyway.

10. icebowler says: May 27, 2014 8:55 PM

The bears have been one of the overall least injured teams over the past five years. The Law of Averages is chopping at the bit.

11. rfgatwordpress says: May 27, 2014 11:02 PM

If hes not ready we move Garza and DeLePuenta steps in at nose… not even skippin a beat!

12. frankiedynomite says: May 27, 2014 11:18 PM

I hope he get’s well sooner than later, it’s good that the Bears signed Groy and Dunbar, you can never have enough good linemen.

13. larryboodry says: May 27, 2014 11:32 PM

@icebowler:

Let’s see…Cutler missed a bunch of games, as did most of our starting defense…And that was just last year.

Maybe you should pay attention once in a while.

14. mputelli55 says: Jun 1, 2014 10:38 AM

And the year before that, forte and Urlacher with Briggs out half the start…ya they’ve been bitten for a while now

15. frankiedynomite says: Jun 2, 2014 1:46 PM

You can never have enough good OL, or DL for that matter, and if Slauson is down the Bears can still pick up some solid veterans. They were AWFUL in short yardage situations last year and not so great running up the middle. I would love to see more of the “I” or power sweep, and that can only be done with stronger run blocking OL. With Forte, Carey, Ford and the burner Perry, the Bears running game could be dangerous, and as much as I love to see the passing game do well, nothing beats a great running game to humiliate the opposition.