Packers will test Finley’s neck on Wednesday

Finley AP

The Packers haven’t closed the door on another season with tight end Jermichael Finley.

According to Tyler Dunne of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Packers doctors will subject Finley to medical testing on Wednesday.  Finley continues to recover from neck surgery conducted following a spinal cord contusion that he suffered last season.

Finley wants to play, but he has yet to receive clearance from his doctors.  Even if/when he receives clearance from his doctors, Finley will need to be cleared by the doctors employed by the team that wants to sign him.

The Seahawks brought Finley in for a visit in March; they presumably have ongoing interest if/when he’s cleared to play.

Finley was optimistic in late January that clearance would be coming soon.  While it hasn’t come yet, he still has plenty of time before the 2014 regular season begins.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks, Top Stories
31 Responses to “Packers will test Finley’s neck on Wednesday”
  1. barsfordays says: May 28, 2014 9:11 AM

Even if he comes back he’ll never be the same. They said he would probably never play again. Gotta feel bad for guys like this, Danario Alexander, Arrelious Benn, Greg Reid, aka guys with loads of skill that just cant stay healthy. Former NHLer Peter Mueller too

2. irishinyourface says: May 28, 2014 9:25 AM

BEAST!!!!!!!!!!!

3. rufustfireflyjr says: May 28, 2014 9:28 AM

If his risk of paralysis is ANY greater than that of other players, he would be nuts to come back. The money is great and I know it’s seductive, but his football career will only last for a few years more, at best. Paralysis, with the current state of medical knowledge, is forever.

4. raiders4lyfe17 says: May 28, 2014 9:34 AM

Finley please retire it’s not worth it u made ur money already

5. InFact says: May 28, 2014 9:52 AM

Here’s the facts:

1. Health is paramount, but he has NOT made his $$$…..Given the spending habits and non-saving ability of most players, he probably is NOT set up for life.

2. He probably did not have a major Lloyds of London insurance policy to protect him from the calamity that occurred.

3. He’s young….What’s he gonna do?: Play fantasy football on Sundays for the next 50 years?

Let him play, if the docs say OK: GB’s are as conservative/protective as they come.

6. munny10 says: May 28, 2014 9:55 AM

For Finley and the Pack – resigning him isn’t worth the risk to either party.

7. osiris33 says: May 28, 2014 10:08 AM

“Packers will test Finley’s neck on Wednesday”

“Seahawks will sign Finley on Thursday”

8. bobnelsonjr says: May 28, 2014 10:32 AM

The Packers truly care about their players and are known to be extremely risk adverse in these medical situations.

Sometimes you have to protect people from themselves.

Everyone knew that getting medical clearance was unlikely. The Packers prepared as if he would not be back.

The Packers have plenty of new TE’s on the roster. All of the TE’s that backed up Finley last season might not make the roster this season.

He will have a huge worker’s compensation structured settlement to last him until his NFL retirement starts paying out. He will be okay financially for the rest of his life.

9. jimthebuilder27 says: May 28, 2014 10:45 AM

Love ya buddy but think about your future!

Packer forever!

10. In Teddy We Trust says: May 28, 2014 10:45 AM

If I were Finley, I would definitely get a second opinion after seeing the Packer “doctors.”

11. granadafan says: May 28, 2014 11:12 AM

Don’t do it. The risk of paralysis is too great. I had a very similar injury skiing and gave up the sport I’ve enjoyed since I was 3 years old on the spot.

12. trapshoot says: May 28, 2014 11:15 AM

He’d be a big help to the Pack and wants to play, but his long term health should be more important. He better off quitting before he get paralyzed or worse.

13. schmokes says: May 28, 2014 11:16 AM

If cleared, this experience might make a more humble/mature Finley. I’d love to have that on my team.

14. jrmbadger says: May 28, 2014 11:19 AM

InFact says:
    May 28, 2014 9:52 AM
    Here’s the facts:

===================================

He does have an insurance policy – $10 million.

From MMQB (from Finley’s himself)
    “My agent and financial advisers have always preached the importance of disability insurance to me. As athletes, we often feel invincible, which is why it is so important to have advisers who you can trust and who can also take the emotion out of any situation. I don’t feel the pressure that I see many athletes do because I’ve taken their advice. I currently have a $10 million insurance policy in place. If this injury prevents me from ever playing football again, I will be able to collect on $10 million tax-free. For me, this is the equivalent of making another $16 million or $17 million in pre-tax salary. While money has absolutely nothing to do with my decision to play, I can sleep at night knowing that regardless of what happens, my family is financially secure forever—maybe the biggest odds I’ll ever overcome.”

15. wick0926 says: May 28, 2014 11:24 AM

The guy has a $10 million dollar insurance policy if he never plays football again due to injury, and all of that is not taxed!

Why risk severe health problems/paralysis…take the money enjoy life

16. talk4cheap says: May 28, 2014 11:34 AM

He probably wants to play because he has a lot of babies and a lot of baby-mommas with their hands stretched out. That’s not racist, it’s a fact. There’s even a website devoted to all of his past/present girlfriends. Google it.

IF he gets to play again, which I seriously doubt, my guess is he’ll be a lot smarter with his money. And he’ll play for whoever gives him the most money, which will not be the Packers.

17. tinbender2000 says: May 28, 2014 11:41 AM

Do they test his neck like I test engine bolts? Twist it until it snaps, then back off 1/4 turn? :)

18. The Almighty Cabbage says: May 28, 2014 11:53 AM

Gosh, the Internet is a wonderful thing. Not only are you guys football experts but now you’re medical experts as well.

There are varying degrees of injury, varying degrees of surgical intervention and widely varying degrees of outcome/risk… all with the “same” injury.

I think I’ll just go ahead and trust the doctors on this one.

19. In Teddy We Trust says: May 28, 2014 11:53 AM

I can’t imagine the Packer doctors clearing him to play. They made Aaron Rodgers sit out 8 weeks because he “felt some discomfort handing off.”

20. purplezimmerpride says: May 28, 2014 11:57 AM

He should sign with my Vikings where the definition of a successful season is so much lower than any where else in the league.

21. ariani1985 says: May 28, 2014 12:04 PM

Just play you sissy!!!! Then again we are talking about the team that is known for softness…..

#ERIN

22. elimanningup says: May 28, 2014 12:10 PM

I expect Finley to be a New York Giant for 2014.

1. Giants will gain $5 million in cap space from the post-June 1 cut of David Baas. I believe that money will be allocated to Finley.

2. No team has a bigger question mark at TE than the Giants. They could use a veteran pass-catching TE.

3. Finley loves Coach Ben McAdoo who is the O-coordinator of the Giants and used to be Finley’s TE coach in GB. He even said “If Ben came calling, I’m come running”

23. thedubixcube says: May 28, 2014 12:17 PM

Speaking from the perspective of a Packers fan, I have to say a few things.

1. This is the same kind of injury that prevented Nick Collins from coming back. Let’s not get our hopes up.

2. Not all things are the same. Would I welcome Big Fin back on a reasonable contract? Sure. Though, I would worry each week about his permanent health. Your family is more important than football, J.

3. I’m legitimately concerned that he played his hardest in a contract year. I know, this happens all the time. But, given the force he was going to be before the injury and the effort he put in last few seasons, it makes me wonder where all that “want to” was in previous years.

24. thedubixcube says: May 28, 2014 12:22 PM

InFact:

This is damn close to being patently false. Player contracts are nearly always insured for injury. Season ending and career ending alike.

25. mvp43 says: May 28, 2014 12:45 PM

Finley does in fact have a 10 million insurance policy that will be paid out as long as he doesn’t step on the field……. tax free by the way.

26. jimmysee says: May 28, 2014 1:18 PM

If they pass him, he’s good to go.

If they don’t, he won’t.

The insurance policy is not an influencing factor here. The guy wants to play football. That’s his life and passion.

I respect that.

When you love what you do, you never go to work.

27. thedubixcube says: May 28, 2014 1:40 PM

Seriously? I’m being given the “thumbs down” for speaking reality? He kicked ass when he had to. He did just okay when he wasn’t in a contract year. Players do this year in and year out.

28. whatjusthapped says: May 28, 2014 2:57 PM

No way do the Packer’s doctors clear him, but I will admit he can still play at a high level thereby eliminating the Vikings from signing him.

The Viking’s usually only sign ex Packers when they can no longer play or give an illusion that they can play (Favre rolls right, fires across the middle, INT-Saints! This isn’t Detroit man!)

Still brings a tear to my eye.

29. chiveonvikes says: May 28, 2014 8:57 PM

They gonna make him listen to Todd Rundgren and do the Bernie?

30. txpackfan77 says: May 28, 2014 11:05 PM

Assuming his wife doesn’t blow that $10M insurance policy. I’m acquainted with a member of the family, and his wife spends money about as fast as he makes it.

31. thedubixcube says: May 29, 2014 11:29 AM

Woops. Best possible chance, I meant.