Darrelle Revis happy to be a Patriot “right now”

Darrelle Revis AP

It sounds like Revis Island is fine with a little continental drift.

Patriots cornerback Darrelle Revis said Friday that he was happy being in New England, but wasn’t looking too far into the future.

“I’m on my career and my journey, and right now, I’m a New England Patriot,” Revis said, via Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post. “And that’s that.”

The contractual reality is that he’s on a one-year deal with the Patriots, unless they pick up an option that would entitle him to $20 million next year.

He also admitted last year was tough in Tampa Bay, despite the $16 million he made to be a short-term Buccaneer.

“Last year was a tough year when I played in Tampa Bay,” Revis said. “It was tough coming off the ACL and everything, so it was a long year for me personally. I’m just trying to recover.”

He admitted that things were different in New England than he envisioned (like when he called coach Bill Belichick a “jerk”), and thinks he’ll be able to express himself.

“Yeah, I’m being my own guy,” Revis said. “I’m going to be me. That’s all I can say. I’m going to be myself and go with the flow.”

And next year, he’ll probably end up flowing right to the biggest paycheck available.

Again.

Permalink 45 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
45 Responses to “Darrelle Revis happy to be a Patriot “right now””
  1. joeflaccoallday says: May 30, 2014 4:55 PM

Lol I love Revis. Keep getting that check baby

2. whiteknightblackheart says: May 30, 2014 4:56 PM

Hard to root for Mevis.

3. jets13 says: May 30, 2014 4:58 PM

I think I speak for all Jets fans when I say give me Richardson and his DROY and Saunders over this guy and his attitude.

Great trade Idzik!

4. heisthejuan says: May 30, 2014 5:08 PM

This is like when the Niners rented Prime Time for a season in order to beat the Cowboys. I’m totally fine with it.

5. scrp2 says: May 30, 2014 5:22 PM

Kind of reminds me when Shaq went to the Celtics.

6. pftisfulloftrolls says: May 30, 2014 5:24 PM

What team is he going to play for later? Will he stay in the AFC East or to the NFC South?

7. harrisonhits2 says: May 30, 2014 5:24 PM

I don’t think anyone expected anything else from Revis.

As long as he plays hard this year the fans in New England will appreciate it for what it is, a 1 year rental on a hopefully very very good player.

8. hallforpresident says: May 30, 2014 5:43 PM

Revis gives the Pats what Talib could never do: ability when it counts.

Look out Denver

9. ghost26 says: May 30, 2014 5:47 PM

Unfortunately the Patriots are going to easily win the division again. With Wilfork & Mayo coming back from injury & then adding Revis & Browner to their secondary??? This is only going to make their Defense better.

10. chrisco4bucs says: May 30, 2014 5:47 PM

As a BUC fan I appreciated his hard work and effort but I’m very happy with Verner now…..GO BUCS

11. footballfan58 says: May 30, 2014 6:04 PM

As a Patriot’s fan, I’m very apprehensive about this guy. He’ll have a lot to prove before I stand up and cheer for him. But who am I to second guess Bill Bellichick.

12. juliusanonymous says: May 30, 2014 6:11 PM

Most overrated NFL player in recent history. The only others that come close are Donovan McNabb, Mike Vick, and maybe RGIII.

It’s hilarious to think that just last offseason, this dude was comparing himself to Richard Sherman. Which is hilariously delusional.

13. glenno08 says: May 30, 2014 6:15 PM

Everybody thinks Revis will only be in NE for one year. Don’t be surprised if it turns into a longer tenure. The cap will be going up even more next year.

14. afce22 says: May 30, 2014 6:26 PM

as a Jets fan i still can’t grasp the concept of Revis playing for the evil empire.

Congrats to NE on landing this guy even if only for a year. It’s hard to imagine anything but a monster season.

Rex’s personality was to use him in a way no one else would dare, which led to a great team defense because it was 10 on 10 without the offenses most dangerous weapon.

Belichick’s personality will be to optimize each situation which leads to less 10 on 10, but probably career high Ints. I’m predicting 8 Ints with a couple returned for TDs…and then he’ll leave to sign his next $15 million paycheck

15. itsunclepauley says: May 30, 2014 6:27 PM

Revis has come back from a season-ending injury before. The following year he wasn’t quite himself, but by the second year he was back to being the best corner in the game.

He’s got a firmly established reputation as a mercenary and that costs him some likability points, but the bottom line is that the dude can play. He, Peterson, and Sherman are the top echelon of corners in the NFL right now and reasonable minds can disagree on which one is “best.”

If this time is anything like the last time, by the end of the season he will once again be in that category all by himself.

16. sandersmarcus10 says: May 30, 2014 6:40 PM

I dont think any corner is worth his money or any of these of CB getting big money UNLESS they dont have a pass caught on them period.

17. sandersmarcus10 says: May 30, 2014 6:41 PM

Just because your on the teams #1 WR dont mean you shutting him down all game!

18. canetic says: May 30, 2014 6:47 PM

What a waste of money. There are no quality QB’s in their division, and Peyton Manning can just work around him.

And Tom Brady can’t get a receiver.

19. jimjets says: May 30, 2014 6:48 PM

what a jerk

as long as they win no rings, who cares

we got a DROY who wants to be a jet, and isnt always unhappy until hes paid more.

good luck with him NE

20. rukkus1 says: May 30, 2014 6:51 PM

Sherm> Mevis

21. raiderapologist says: May 30, 2014 7:02 PM

juliusanonymous says: May 30, 2014 6:11 PM

——————–
    Overpaid? Probably. Overrated? No.

22. simplegodfather says: May 30, 2014 7:02 PM

I had enough of Mevis… No doubt he a great player, but he the worse teammate you can have. No Loyality to any teams, but only 1 thing makes him sit, and listen.. is Making the money rain on him. I’m hoping once he reach to 30 year old, no team would be foolish to sign him over 12 mil a year deal. and he will join the lines of washout players such as to, chad johnson, and other ridiculous players.

which lead me to thinking, what if we create the washout of fame? Mevis would be #1 in that fame, best player but horrible teammate in nfl history.

23. jets13 says: May 30, 2014 7:06 PM

“The following year he wasn’t quite himself, but by the second year he was back to being the best corner in the game.”

———————————————-

uncle pauley, do you have anything to back that up? Like the 95 QB rating on passes thrown at revis last season?

Keep dreaming man.

24. shiz1156 says: May 30, 2014 7:21 PM

I’m a Pats fan, I love Revis Island, hope he will be the new face of the D, going to buy the jersey so when he leaves next year I can get 25% off the next one….. JOKE!

25. pone27 says: May 30, 2014 7:40 PM

“Yeah, I’m being MEVIS. ” “I’m going to be MEVIS. That’s all I can say. I’m going to be MEVIS and go with the flow.”

-Pats fan who hates his attitude, but loves how he plays the game. Ill take him for a year.

26. pftisfulloftrolls says: May 30, 2014 7:45 PM

glenno08 says: May 30, 2014 6:15 PM

—————————————————————
    Revis is this generations Deion. His employer is the highest bidder. If some team is willing to give him more than New England, then he’ll be wearing their jersey, the cap goes up for everyone next year.

27. j0esixpack says: May 30, 2014 7:52 PM

You actually got to respect Revis.

He’s willing to earn his next big paycheck – which means he has to be civil and play well.

Nothing wrong with that – one way or another he’ll earn what he makes next year.

28. raiderapologist says: May 30, 2014 8:06 PM

jets13 says: May 30, 2014 7:06 PM

——————–
    81.4 rating.

29. watermelon1 says: May 30, 2014 8:06 PM

Humble pie having to join the team you despised and the coach you smited.

At least the rest of the division is more determined to get the patriots to the playoffs than the patriots are.

30. ncphinsfan says: May 30, 2014 8:20 PM

The Patriots are renting him. No way on earth they spend $20m on anyone… It is not the Patriots way. Plain and simple if they don’t get past a “one and done” in the playoffs. They are really done for many years. The Dolphins are on their heels and the Jets and Bills are not too far behind. Brady has 1 year left and he is already sliding. Mevis better hope for a ring, but the Broncos, Colts, Ravens and Bengals might not be so easy to get through. Even if they make it to SB, they would get crushed by the Seahawks, Niners or Giants(what else is new). No sorry, Mevis take the money cause the Ring ain’t happening.

31. dcpatfan says: May 30, 2014 8:21 PM

Any NFL Player would be happy to be A Patriot “right now”

32. thereyougo2 says: May 30, 2014 8:41 PM

Does his team win because of his play? New England thinks they can’t win without him. Let’s say NE goes two deep and done. So is Revis as far as huge contracts.

33. 6ball says: May 30, 2014 8:43 PM

@ncphinsfan

“the dolphins are on their heels… ”

more like the dolphins are wearing heels.

34. 25cuts says: May 30, 2014 9:11 PM

It’s hard to argue against him just chasing loot and not really a championship. But if teams are willing to shell out that much money, who’d turn it down?

35. j0esixpack says: May 30, 2014 10:48 PM

Revis’ salary structure is a smart move by Belichick

He’s given Revis every reason to have a MONSTER season at CB Franchise Tag one year money.

If he DOES have that monster season, then the Patriots are looking at the standard 20% bump to the CB salary tag plus another few million as an added “penalty” – but of course what would be more likely is that they’d renegotiate a multi-year contract

But Belichick has created a contract that effectively allows him to use two franchise tags if he needed to – as that’s what this $20 million 2nd year effectively is.

And if he’s not worth it he’s let go or negotiated down

36. nobreak1269 says: May 30, 2014 11:25 PM

Pat fans are in very a very rude awakening this year.Not only will the JETS win the East-but the CHEATIROTS wont even make the playoffs. Brady will decline so badly-he will be traded after the season.Just watch.

37. shakespeare22 says: May 31, 2014 2:14 AM

Overrated

38. bucsorbust says: May 31, 2014 6:38 AM

Revis was a class act during his short time in Tampa. Very personable guy when you talk to him, and he played well. You can’t get on the man for wanting $16M. The Pats fans will be very very happy with him. He’s the “un-Talib.” Wish the Bucs still had him but he was to much $$$ and not the best fit for the new D Lovie’s putting in. Plus, we have Verner, Banks, and Jenkins now…Go BUCS!

39. orakle44 says: May 31, 2014 8:51 AM

I think its comical how you guys keep saying he’s a “mercenary” or “will only play for the highest bidder”, yet it was well documented that the Patriots were indeed not the highest bidder (they never are), and that he is actually playing for less then what was offered to him by other teams. Haters gonna hate no matter what.

40. bradyisyourdaddy says: May 31, 2014 9:27 AM

Mercenary Revis saw what new england can do for a CBs value. Anybody see what Talib is getting payed?

Ill root for him this year but don’t buy this Jersey NE… It will have a short shelf life

41. slick50ks says: May 31, 2014 12:32 PM

The pats can decline every year and still dominate the worst division in the league.

42. VenerableAxiom says: May 31, 2014 9:33 PM

If he has another below average (stats don’t lie) season like he had last year, there may not be many teams willing to give stupid money to him again. You want to put your faith in BB fine. Just don’t forget Ocho, Adalius, and Deltha.

43. ptfpoetlovestheseahawks says: Jun 1, 2014 3:35 AM

Don’t like him. Money money money. Never about I love this team and I want to stay here as long as possible

Sherman>Revis

#GOHAWKS
    #REPETE
    #BETTERATLIFETHANYOU

44. cool10857 says: Jun 1, 2014 2:54 PM

Just keep singing for your supper Revis. You’re not fooling anyone but yourself.

45. phamilyman91 says: Jun 2, 2014 1:58 PM

Revis>Sherman

Lol @ Seattle “Steroids” fans acting like they are anything but a fad…Repeat? This is 2014 not 2004. Manning can work aroundRevis right to Browner..he knows how to “train” he came from Seattle ::cough:: ::cough::
    Go Patriot