Report: Bears made offer to Mike Neal in free agency

Mike Neal, Tramon Williams AP

On the second day of free agency, the Packers re-signed outside linebacker / defensive end Mike Neal to a two-year deal.

However, before he re-signed, Neal reportedly got a job offer from Green Bay’s oldest rival.

In a story published Friday, Neal told Brad Biggs of the Chicago Tribune that the Bears had attempted to sign him in free agency.

“In the long run, their offer, it wasn’t a bad deal,” Neal said, according to the Tribune. “The option for me to come back here was better, in my opinion. I felt like this was a system that if I was kept in the same position, I could flourish in.”

The 6-foot-3, 285-pound Neal might have been able to play both inside and outside in Chicago’s 4-3 defense. Instead, he’ll continue to be a key front seven player in Green Bay’s 3-4 scheme. Because of his versatility and youth — he turns 27 in June — Neal garnered the No. 38 spot in PFT’s Free Agent Hot 100.

The Bears did add one former Packers defender in free agency, signing safety M.D. Jennings, who was not tendered as a restricted free agent by Green Bay.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
35 Responses to “Report: Bears made offer to Mike Neal in free agency”
  1. tokyosandblaster says: May 30, 2014 12:43 PM

Of course he resigned with the Packers. No other team in the division gives him a shot at a ring.

2. redandgoldhitman52 says: May 30, 2014 12:51 PM

Due to the popularity of the West Coast Offense (which involves quick, short passes) the 46 defense is no longer popular among NFL football teams.

3. larryboodry says: May 30, 2014 12:51 PM

Would have been a nice pick-up. Still a very nice off-season by the Bears.

4. greenisgold1265 says: May 30, 2014 1:01 PM

You can keep M.D

5. Indybear says: May 30, 2014 1:06 PM

Almost the same size as Houston and Collins, but a tad bigger than McClellin. Would have been some interesting camp competition. I agree with larry, it was still a great job by Emery and crew.

6. In Teddy We Trust says: May 30, 2014 1:09 PM

That dude’s bicep is bigger than the other dude’s head.

7. ariani1985 says: May 30, 2014 1:10 PM

another of the Great Turd Thompson Busts!!!!!

I have a list to prove it!!!

8. ariani1985 says: May 30, 2014 1:11 PM

————————————–

Thanks for the laugh buddy!!!!

9. In Teddy We Trust says: May 30, 2014 1:12 PM

His #38 ranking was based on being versatile and youthful, because he hasn’t performed at all yet. Eleven starts in four years.

10. 46plank says: May 30, 2014 1:13 PM

Lamaar Houston, Jared Allen and Willie Young instead…. I’d say not getting Mike Neal was a good thing.

11. whatjusthapped says: May 30, 2014 1:14 PM

MD Jennings is the worst safety in the NFL last year, just a joke. The fact that anyone would sign him is beyond my comprehension. We are used to seeing Packers get cut because they cannot play at a high level and then the Vikings sign them, that’s understandable because it instantly improves their team but the Bears made a big mistake in signing Jennings.

12. larryboodry says: May 30, 2014 1:15 PM

Not sure M.D. even makes the final roster.

13. bassplucker says: May 30, 2014 1:17 PM

Cue the haters saying he declined the Bears offer because of Cutler.

14. tundra67 says: May 30, 2014 1:20 PM

Agreed greenisgold. MD Jennings was by far the biggest weak link on the Packers defense last year. A complete matador …

If the starter at FS is between Conte and Jennings, it’s definitely a lose-lose.

15. eljefe322 says: May 30, 2014 1:24 PM

Bears will still be weaker at linebacker and safety – fixing defense was a multi-year project; that was obvious by the end of last year when Philly and Green Bay torched the Bears.

Five new defensive linemen, Fuller, and Vereen (decent safety draft pick) is a start – plus getting Williams and Briggs back helps. But Bostic HAS to step up and McLellin has to not be a total bust.

16. purplezimmerpride says: May 30, 2014 1:25 PM

He could have been a nice improvement for my Vikings NFC North worst defense. But lets face it, you could say the same thing about anyone.

17. dobe420 says: May 30, 2014 1:27 PM

That’s why hopefully Brock Vereen is the starter over those two dopes

18. Indybear says: May 30, 2014 1:43 PM

Wouldn’t be surprised to see Steltz make the roster and Jennings the odd man out.

19. dobe420 says: May 30, 2014 2:09 PM

I could see both MD Jennings and Craig Steltz make roster with Conte being the odd man out. Just get him out of the building.

20. icebowler says: May 30, 2014 2:13 PM

The Bears offer was probably very tempting for Mike because he is from Merrillville, IN which is basically a suburb of Chicago.

21. grubbyolebowski says: May 30, 2014 2:53 PM

I think it was better for Mr Neal to stay with the Packers.
    The Bears will be just fine.. the new system and new coaches seem to be working better than the old regime.. maybe they will contend with GB for the NFC North Crown this year..

Unlike the Vikings.. who continue to wallow in last place with no Lombardi trophies. Ever.

22. axespray says: May 30, 2014 3:06 PM

Outside Linebacker/5-tech Defensive End.
    He’s finally found his spot on the roster as a rotational/nickle package pass rusher.

Not sure it’d make sense for him to up and learn another new position and a new defense.

23. notthetroll says: May 30, 2014 3:11 PM

one thing is for sure, those teams in the Norris like to try to take players away from each other, more so it seems than other divisions.

24. mcmeen0576 says: May 30, 2014 3:13 PM

Not suprising. Emery loves those kind of signings. Calls them “A+” moves. I remember him talking about it during his first offseason. He said when you get a quality player he calls it an “A” signing. When you get a quality player and take them from a division rival he calls it a “A+” move. He was really proud of the Phil Loadholt move he made last offseason because he said at the very least he drove the price up on the Vikings. Emery is smart.

25. deltaoracle says: May 30, 2014 3:42 PM

Was that a Heidi fan scoffing because Neal has 11 starts in 4 years and therefore “hasn’t performed at all?”
    After the Heidis signed a vet with ONE career start in several years to a $42.5 million contract?
    Yeah, I thought it was.

26. hansenbrothers says: May 30, 2014 4:30 PM

Pretty glad he stuck around Green Bay

27. rho1953 says: May 30, 2014 4:58 PM

Seems to be a trend for the Bears and Vikings to go after Packer free agents. Doesn’t seem to get them too far though, does it?

28. beauch11 says: May 30, 2014 6:01 PM

I can’t believe the Bears signed MD Jennings after they saw him in action twice last year. It’s a blessing for the Packers, but to Chicago…..C’mon man!!!!

29. mputelli55 says: May 30, 2014 7:26 PM

Rrreeeeallllyyyy….. And just what do you call the packers signing of Julius Peppers?? C’mon man… Pompus packer fans always thinking you’re “gooder” than everyone else… That’s right I said it…”gooder”, maybe now you can understand it cheeseheads

30. stellarperformance says: May 30, 2014 7:32 PM

It’s only important if YOU understand it.

31. sonofad says: May 30, 2014 7:36 PM

Sounds like Jared Allen was their 2nd choice. Or maybe lower.

32. bearshaterseverywhere says: May 30, 2014 8:19 PM

Bears 1st choice was Lamar Houston. It’s obvious Jared Allen wasn’t the Bears main focus for FA this year. He was the 1st free agent signed this year……DUH! I love when people post ignorant comments on here.

It’s obvious Jared Allen wasn’t the Bears main focus for FA this year.

All NFL teams are 0-0 right now people, who cares who they made an offer too???

33. bearshaterseverywhere says: May 30, 2014 8:20 PM

***Bears 1st choice was Lamar Houston. He was the 1st free agent signed this year……DUH! I love when people post ignorant comments on here.

It’s obvious Jared Allen wasn’t the Bears main focus for FA this year.

All NFL teams are 0-0 right now people, who cares who they made an offer too???

34. grubbyolebowski says: May 30, 2014 8:34 PM

Yes… realllly… I would think that Peppers in Green Bay will have a good year. Jared Allen should have a good year in Chicago, though he will be playing 8 games on that nasty mess at Soldier Field. I don’t expect him to have the snap off of the line like he is used to on turf. If that reality does come true this season, I would go buy some good aged Wisconsin Cheddar, cuz its mo betta..

35. respectgsh says: Jun 6, 2014 9:36 AM

Allen will likely be less effective on Soldier Field turf. The fact is though, that it is a mess about 3-5 times a year (way too much for any NFL team, but not 8) depending on schedule, weather, and how many games CPD allows to be played on Fridays and Saturdays of game weeks.
    BTW did grubbyolebowski mean to say that the Bears would win the NFC North or contend for the division. It saddens me that the Pack has gotten the better of my Bears in recent memory but I would say that the Bears have competed for the division crown in almost all of the years that they have not won it.