Cory Schlesinger has memory loss, but wouldn’t change anything

cory-schlesinger Getty Images

When Cory Schlesinger was a fullback for the Lions, he was celebrated for having so many head-first hits that the team’s equipment staff regularly had to replace his dented facemasks. Now that head injuries are the biggest concern facing the game of football, those dented facemasks don’t seem like something to celebrate.

The 41-year-old Schlesinger now works as a high school teacher and says he sometimes has minor memory problems that he worries will get more severe.

There are some residual [effects],”€ Schlesinger told Alex Marvez and Zig Fracassi on SiriusXM NFL Radio. “I have to remember things a lot more; I have to think about things more. I would say there’s a little bit of an effect in there.”€

But Schlesinger is not one of the thousands of former players suing the league, and he said he wouldn’t change his decision to play football.

In that, Schlesinger is like a lot of former players. Even many of the players who suffer serious health consequences from playing football say they’d do it again.

Permalink 43 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
43 Responses to “Cory Schlesinger has memory loss, but wouldn’t change anything”
  1. courtjester1234 says: Jun 1, 2014 5:47 PM

The NFL and the NHL are he toughest leagues to play for. And a lot of physical and mental ailment unfortunately arise from playing for extended times. As professionals these guys take a chance every time they go out on the playing field

2. stataddict says: Jun 1, 2014 5:47 PM

It’ll be ironic when tomorrow’s headline reads “Cory Schlesinger has memory loss, would love to go back to change everything”.

3. thegreatgabbert says: Jun 1, 2014 5:53 PM

Cory wouldn’t change anything. He still cherishes the memory of his 2,000 yard rushing seasons. The 11 Super Bowl wins. The MVP awards and his Nobel Peace Prize.

4. ibreathefootball says: Jun 1, 2014 5:54 PM

Great attitude towards the subject, unlike some of these former players. As players, you get paid a high reward for playing a high risk game. Hopefully more people have attitudes like this instead of suing the NFL left and right.

5. orivar says: Jun 1, 2014 5:58 PM

Sometimes I wonder if football is worth it. I mean outside of doing what you love, it seems that the risks aren’t worth. The pro is that you play a shorter season than most sports with a pay scale that’s still in a good range, though on average is less than the lengthier sports.

The cons besides the less over all average is that you as an individual don’t have as much of an impact as a hockey, baseball, or soccer player. If a QB has a bad day, the WRs have bad days. If a center has a bad day, a point guard can still carry the game. If goalie has a bad day, wingers can still carry a game and help on defense if you’re the type into shot blocking. Then you have the major health risks and fact that outside the CFL, there’s really no where to go for football and get a moderate pay check.

I guess that’s to be expected with an 11 on 11 game that has a 53 man roster but still it just seems more risky. Love the sport but makes you wonder.

6. TheMorningStar says: Jun 1, 2014 6:00 PM

Good luck with your health Mr. Schlesinger.

7. gatorfan1 says: Jun 1, 2014 6:05 PM

And then 5 minutes later he says he does have regrets!

8. dhardy8207 says: Jun 1, 2014 6:06 PM

Hell I have problems remembering things and I didn’t play football. Thats called “Father time”.

9. captainwisdom8888 says: Jun 1, 2014 6:16 PM

What an honorable guy. The vast majority of the former-pros who are suing the NFL are simply seeing a legal avenue for them to acquire more money from a league that has already paid them millions. The mistake these guys made are aplenty…you didn’t HAVE to buy those 31 cars…you didn’t HAVE to own 4 properties at once. The biggest mistakes were these guys seeing their NFL jobs as careers, and their inability to differentiate between WANTS and NEEDS. Playing in the league can afford a player a lavish lifestyle, but when you continue to live like a baller when you no longer have the same amount of income…WHAT DO YOU THINK IS GOING TO HAPPEN!?

You end up broke. Time to sue the NFL I guess…

10. thestrategyexpert says: Jun 1, 2014 6:20 PM

He should always remember that he created more memories for others than any one person could keep track of.

11. imnotsorryisaidthat says: Jun 1, 2014 6:26 PM

I cant remember who Corey Schlesinger was

12. Joe Schmoe says: Jun 1, 2014 6:42 PM

Amazing how many idiots here are making fun of the guy’s memory loss. Yeah, that’s a riot.

13. qdog112 says: Jun 1, 2014 6:55 PM

You tell’em Cory. “Money is the root of all evil.”

File that under things rich people say to discourage others from wanting money … more for them.

I picture a poor whizzing victim of cigarette smoke, with a tracheotomy, having more pride than common sense – swearing he’ll never sue.

14. learysdisciples says: Jun 1, 2014 6:56 PM

I played football 11 years and hockey for 13 and…uhhh, the moops.

15. tigers182 says: Jun 1, 2014 7:05 PM

Remember Corey, when life gets you down, do you know what you’ve got to do? Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming. Just keep swimming.

16. bearshaterseverywhere says: Jun 1, 2014 7:12 PM

B Marshall > C Johnson

Lions 0-16, worse than the Vikings.

Overrated with delusional fans taboot!

17. topcide says: Jun 1, 2014 7:13 PM

qdog112 says:
    Jun 1, 2014 6:55 PM
    You tell’em Cory. “Money is the root of all evil.”

————————————————–

suing a tobacco company after helath effects from smoking is absurd, sorry it just is. Hell, there have been warnings on packs for allmost 2 decades now.

and this is from a former smoker.

18. staffordsyear says: Jun 1, 2014 7:18 PM

The guy was a hard nosed football player and an underrated fullback his whole career.

One of my favorite lions.

19. liontuss says: Jun 1, 2014 7:30 PM

As a proud and humble Lions fan, Schlesinger kept a spark glowing on a dismal team. Sure, he’s no Megatron when it comes to fame, but dude played all-out, all the time. He and Chris Spielman are the two grittiest, hard-nosed Leos since the championship ’50s. Go Lions!

20. htown995 says: Jun 1, 2014 7:35 PM

Too bad he had to play for a crappy lions team if he would have went to the packers he would have a super bowl ring well i guess it could be worse he could’ve played for minnesota or chicago

21. catquick says: Jun 1, 2014 7:53 PM

eveeryone over 40 has some memory loss

22. ar1888 says: Jun 1, 2014 7:58 PM

Schlesinger then went on to say
    ““Football was good to me in the aspect that I played 12 years,”€ Schlesinger said. “It was a good job for that time. . . . Would I [still] play the game? Absolutely. I still would have probably done it the exact same way.”€

23. warhawk137 says: Jun 1, 2014 8:10 PM

Perhaps he simply cannot remember the things he might have, in retrospect, changed.

24. woodslive says: Jun 1, 2014 8:12 PM

I’m 46 and I have memory loss from time to time. I played football in high school but never had any concussions. It happens.

25. isphet71 says: Jun 1, 2014 9:05 PM

Sledge!!!! Love that guy.

Sad to hear he’s having long term effects. Proud to hear he’s not blaming the league for it, and not regretting the decision to play.

26. danrapson says: Jun 1, 2014 9:30 PM

One of the nicest men I ever met. Played with the Lions doing the basketball rounds.

In a small HS gym he would take a basketball, hold it out about chest high and bounce it HARD off the floor. Would put ceiling tiles out up 30 feet or so! Sounded like a cannon going off. He would laugh and laugh…

Posed for pictures with a developmentally disabled person and sat and talked with him for several minutes. He said he was going to teach shop classes in high school.

I thought-What a lucky bunch of students…

27. lennymoorerules says: Jun 1, 2014 9:38 PM

Just my opinion-so here goes. The NFL is bearing the brunt of the concussion issue. To me it starts with high school coaches who brutalize their kids with hard nose practices and continues throughout college as well. There was a study completed several years ago that showed the total amount of physical contact practices that occur PRIOR to a player joining the NFL. It was quite high. It appears to me that the league is guilty of being the last on the totem pole. They have the most money so sue them. At least the league is attempting to lessen the probability of injury through practice constraints. But someone should further examine the high schools and colleges as well.

28. phinfanatic84 says: Jun 1, 2014 9:44 PM

topcide says:Jun 1, 2014 7:13 PM

qdog112 says:
    Jun 1, 2014 6:55 PM
    You tell’em Cory. “Money is the root of all evil.”

————————————————–

and this is from a former smoker.

——————————————————

Come on Topcide you know this is the “new America” and that it’s never your fault for what you put in your body. Everybody’s a victim and those evil corporations are to blame for everything! Cory is a realist and knows that he wouldn’t have 6 figures a year for 12 years as a high school teacher or probably any other industry that he was/is qualified for.

Good for you Cory for taking responsibility for your own decisions. I wish you the very best in your future and hope you are “teaching” today’s youth at your school what integrity and responsibility means.

29. GenXJay says: Jun 1, 2014 10:16 PM

i would think any former player of the lions would want to forget.
    joking aside on detriot, i commend Mr. Schlesinger on his evaluation of who really is responsible for his trouble(s).

30. taintedsaints2009 says: Jun 1, 2014 11:08 PM

You notice how much bigger nfl players looked ten to twenty years ago?

31. mnvikesfan says: Jun 1, 2014 11:31 PM

I guess he’s not broke!!

32. mazenblue says: Jun 1, 2014 11:45 PM

Workers should be compensated for injuries on the job. Especially long term injuries. You guys got it all wrong.

33. staffordsyear says: Jun 2, 2014 12:08 AM

GenXJay says: Jun 1, 2014 10:16 PM

i would think any former player of the lions would want to forget.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Its spelled DETROIT..like it sounds, how hard is that?

34. iltibido says: Jun 2, 2014 12:14 AM

thegreatgabbert ……….You actually don’t have to do anything to win a Nobel Peace Prize!!!!!!

Just show up!!!!

35. codiablo says: Jun 2, 2014 1:03 AM

If football was so good to him, why does he still need a job?

36. campcouch says: Jun 2, 2014 2:21 AM

Wow,someone that was aware that he chose a job that could cause himself harm…and doesn’t blame anyone for his decision. About time.

37. I'm Judgemental says: Jun 2, 2014 2:27 AM

I don’t think you guys truly understand what the settlement was about. The League willfully held back evidence that showed a direct correlation between head injuries in football and long term mental health issues. If you found out that your workplace purposely held back information that exposed how dangerous your job was to your health, in pretty sure you’d be signing a lawsuit as well.

38. papacrick says: Jun 2, 2014 2:46 AM

Would be cool to have a former NFL stud as your freaking high school teacher! Priests and religious nuts were not cool in my catholic high school

39. heymister24 says: Jun 2, 2014 8:16 AM

Who doesn’t have memory loss? Who doesn’t have to constantly think things? A lawsuit by players for “memory loss”? I say bullcrap.

40. jongrudenstolemypatiofurniture says: Jun 2, 2014 8:16 AM

Chris Miller loves Nickleback.

41. phinfanatic84 says: Jun 2, 2014 1:14 PM

He wanted to teach and not every former player can sit on his porch and do nothing 365 days a year, especially a guy in his 30’s or 40’s.

Just remember when you’re retired; you are either spending money or trying to make more money.

42. simonator917 says: Jun 2, 2014 7:20 PM

Actually, it could just be normal aging.

43. mickton says: Jun 3, 2014 12:36 PM

Oh the power of suggestion is a rabid one,I 4get stuff here & there maybe I can join the concussion suit too,after all I have watched quite a bit of football from my recliner over the years.