Nightclub executive: Manziel’s visit “great for Vegas”

Johnny Manziel AP

Johnny Manziel’s recent Las Vegas jaunt drew widespread attention.

And the buzz generated by the Browns’ rookie quarterback didn’t go unnoticed in Vegas.

An unnamed nightclub executive told Norm Clarke of the Las Vegas Review-Journal that Manziel’s trip was “great for Vegas,” with the executive estimating Manziel’s visit generated millions in free publicity for the city.

“It was like when Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods came to town. It meant something,” the executive said, according to Clarke. “People love a showman. People love to follow that kind of guy. He’s Johnny Football — and he’s a nice guy.”

And as long as the “football” part of Manziel’s brand remains strong, the Browns’ first-round pick figures to be someone whose arrival at any public place draws stares, whispers and stealth cellphone-camera pictures.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
31 Responses to “Nightclub executive: Manziel’s visit “great for Vegas””
  1. ytownie says: Jun 1, 2014 3:13 PM

Johnny gave Vegas more publicity than Prince Harry did. Every hotel should comp him with free rooms.

2. 700levelvet says: Jun 1, 2014 3:13 PM

You only live once

3. tralfaz1127 says: Jun 1, 2014 3:15 PM

Can’t wait for the spoiled overrated brat to fall flat on his face. He’ll be an ESPN broadcaster (since they love him so much) in less than 5 years.

4. In Teddy We Trust says: Jun 1, 2014 3:17 PM

So one famous guy visiting Las Vegas is worth millions of dollars of publicity? Are there people who haven’t heard of Las Vegas, or who weren’t considering going there until they heard Johnny Football was there?

5. jdean330 says: Jun 1, 2014 3:34 PM

You must be a Steelers, Ravens or Bengals fan hahaha

tralfaz1127 says:
    Jun 1, 2014 3:15 PM

6. bobzilla1001 says: Jun 1, 2014 3:42 PM

If Vegas is that excited to have the Browns’ backup QB in town, imagine the stir Brian Hoyer’s visit would cause…

7. redandgoldhitman52 says: Jun 1, 2014 3:43 PM

not sure why there’s so much hate on manziel. dude is a good person, loves to have fun. i hope he does good in cleveland and turns them into division winners.

8. snapcracklepopfart says: Jun 1, 2014 3:57 PM

A good person? Yeah. Just a good person who thinks the NCAA rules don’t apply to him…

9. whodat5150 says: Jun 1, 2014 4:01 PM

Unfortunately, haters gon’ hate! Let the young man have fun in his down time, while he can. Because there won’t (or SHOULDN’T BE) any Las Vegas trips once camp starts and the season begins.

10. timpiker says: Jun 1, 2014 4:18 PM

So many people filled with hate.

11. musketmaniac says: Jun 1, 2014 4:31 PM

5 years is longer than the average career length. Espn will hire him in ten years, guys better than that.

12. qdog112 says: Jun 1, 2014 4:38 PM

Oh, stop it. This guy has brought all the scrutiny down on himself. What’s with all the “poor Johnny” stuff.

There are 20 year vets who would get criticized for his behavior. Why do people think he’s immune from the same measuring stick?

There will be teammates secretly hoping he fails. It would be different if the media would leave him alone and let him play a down, but nooooo. Remember how quick RG3 went from loved to laughing stock?

Well, this will dwarf that situation.

13. denverdude7 says: Jun 1, 2014 5:00 PM

In about 3 years Johnny Football will rise to #2 on the depth chart. Then Las Vegas will really be buzzing when he stops in to party again.

14. 12444uggg says: Jun 1, 2014 5:09 PM

Wasn’t a fan in the first place, but I’m starting to not root for him. IF he does succeed though, good on him.

15. Matt dog from C-town says: Jun 1, 2014 5:23 PM

The guys gonna be a legend….bow down haters

16. lance19 says: Jun 1, 2014 5:40 PM

Manziel’s Vegas visit:
    Great for Vegas
    Great for TMZ
    Great for posters living vicariously.

Manziel Not Studying playbook instead:
    Great for Bengals
    Great for Steelers
    Great for Ravens

17. lukedunphysscienceproject says: Jun 1, 2014 5:53 PM

21 year old man with money goes to Las Vegas.

This makes people think less of him.

This somehow makes sense.

You’ve kind of lost me there.

18. thegreatgabbert says: Jun 1, 2014 6:02 PM

“It was great for me, Johnny, how about you?”, asked Vegas, puffing on a cigarette.

19. lukedunphysscienceproject says: Jun 1, 2014 7:47 PM

LOL at “not studying his playbook” guy.

Yes, because I’m sure every single other incoming rookie in the league bypassed all Memorial Day weekend shenanigans and sat holed up somewhere with their noses in their play books, with their buzz cuts and their varsity letter sweaters on.

What is this, 1955?

20. brownsmakemecrazy says: Jun 1, 2014 8:03 PM

Most importantly lets hope Johnny is good for the Browns. I have my concerns, but I hope Johnny proves me wrong. If hes successful, it will be great for everyone.

21. oldcracker says: Jun 1, 2014 9:28 PM

At 21, I was returning from Vietnam with a stop at Letterman Hospital in San Francisco, and I still managed to get some partying in!

Its been a mighty long time since I was 21 but, even at my age, if I suddenly came into a windfall like Johnny Manziel, there would definitely be some partying involved….albeit “old fart” partying. :)

Let him enjoy life while he can, you can tear him down tomorrow. You’re only young once, and too soon old.

22. icdogg says: Jun 1, 2014 9:53 PM

All else being equal, I would rather not have a player who attracted this much celebrity coverage.

23. simonator917 says: Jun 1, 2014 10:20 PM

History repeating itself? He reminds me of a young Joe Namath. Namath loved women and parties and alcohol but is now in the Hall of Fame.

BTW I was a hater. I wanted Alabama plant him in the end zone. Then I watched the game, and I am now a BIG fan. That dude’s got game!

Go get ‘em, Johnny!

24. neardeadinoh says: Jun 2, 2014 1:35 AM

Love him or hate him but the kid has ballz. I think he’s got game and talent. AFCN haters are only worried he will be the boss. Didn’t the press give ROTTY a pass while he was allegedly abusing women in bathrooms? Oh yeah, he got married to deflect the truth. We will see soon how Johnny does on the field and the haters will have to suck it up. The kid is going to shut them up on the field. Can’t wait for the 1st game against pburgh!

25. sportsfan18 says: Jun 2, 2014 7:08 AM

Jun 1, 2014 9:28 PM

9 0
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thank you for your service sir.

26. pete2112 says: Jun 2, 2014 8:17 AM

Of course it’s good for business, duh. Not to hate on him, but I’m so sick of hearing about this guy for all the wrong reasons. He doesn’t help his cause with his smug attitude either. I have my doubts about his luck in the NFL but time will tell I suppose on well he does or can take a hit. It should be an interesting year.

27. anothervoiceofreason says: Jun 2, 2014 12:18 PM

I love how people say “leave him alone – he’s just a kid having fun with all his new found riches and taking a break from his tough life as an NFL rookie”. Didn’t he just get drafted a month ago? How hard has he had to work so far to need a break already? And if his storyline is that he wants to earn his place on the team, why didn’t he invite along some of his new offensive linemen or receiver teammates to party with him and build team chemistry? I’m willing to bet that would have diffused a lot of his doubters. This guy is from a multi-millionaire family, has always had access to all the money he’s wanted in order to support his lavish party habits, and his new endorsement deals are likely to earn him more than his football career ever will…even if he is a bust. Let’s be serious, “Johnny Football” aka “Johnny Hollywood” aka “Johnny Vegas” MAY honestly want to play a little football, but he doesn’t need those millions in order to afford his chosen lifestyle. The little guy wants to be a star, and that’s it. He found his way into the inner circle through his football talent, but if/when he washes out he’ll be spending his vacation time in Key West with his boy toy Drake…and all of his now adoring fans will be left scratching their heads in disbelief.

28. pete2112 says: Jun 2, 2014 1:22 PM

I love the people that defend this kid. I don’t get it. Can’t you see that his priorities are completely skewed? Yes I’m sure all young draft picks will take advantage of their free time but maybe Johnny Football should be more focused on learning the system in Cleveland rather than going to Vegas and hanging with celebs. Good luck Cleveland. I feel bad you’ve been jerked around so much with your team but maybe he’ll prove us all wrong in the end. I’ll say this though, if he ends up being a bust, there will be no more Johnny Football and his lavish party world won’t have the same bling it once carried. He may have a little money in his pocket but he won’t have football or the notoriety that comes with it.

29. anothervoiceofreason says: Jun 2, 2014 1:40 PM

Well, he can always move back to College Station and admire “The House That Johnny Built” stadium (trademark pending) and be a big *narcissistic* fish in a small pond. That is, assuming they would have him…last I heard, everyone except the regents and wealthy boosters were ecstatic to see him leave.

30. beanguy says: Jun 3, 2014 12:49 AM

Gonna be fun to watch J Football slash and slice his way thru the AFC North – be it this year or next. The guy’s put up numbers everywhere he’s gone. Give the kid a chance before you trash him. He’s done nothing but work hard when he’s on the field and that’s all you can ask for out of a rookie. Haters are just looking for reasons to hate. At least he’s not raping co-eds in a bar restroom. Or is that something you have to “earn” the privilege of doing? He’s delivering as promised in the OTA’s and here’s hoping he continues to do so. Anyone that’s harping on him for having money while growing up needs to ask themselves – what would YOU do if you were a successful businessman and had money to give your kids the life you never had? Keep it from them and never let your kids enjoy to fruits of your labor? Hardly. Stop being so jealous. So the kid had money growing up. So what? That’s the American Dream. Kudos to his family for giving him the life they could. And Kudos to J Football for coming through and delivering on what has been asked of him since Day One.

31. anothervoiceofreason says: Jun 3, 2014 3:14 PM

Look, the problem is that he’s being anointed the savior of the Cleveland Browns before ever playing a single NFL game, and what many (not all!) of his detractors are saying is let’s wait and see how he does in the NFL before idealizing everything about him and defending his every questionable move. I am a wealthy person who technically can give my children everything they want, but I also want them to learn that some things need to be earned. If you provide everything a person could ever want throughout their childhood and teenage years, they grow to expect that everything they ever want will always automatically come to them – regardless of how hard they work. No one doubts his natural ability. Most of the knocks are on his sense of entitlement. As the child of a wealthy family, he has dined-and-dashed from local restaurants, shoplifted from local stores, and more during his high school years in Kerrville. He had ample means to pay for those meals and items, but chose to do so simply because he could – it was a rush. When he and friends skipped out on a restaurant bill (knowing that everyone in the restaurant knew who he was), the restaurant didn’t call the police. They called his coach to come pay the bill. When he shop-lifted in Fredericksburg, the store didn’t call the police. They called his dad to come pay for the items. When he told his dad he wanted a Mercedes, his dad didn’t initially want to buy it for him, but in his own words “was worried what Johnny would do if I didn’t get it for him” (not the exact quote, but check out the SI article where his own parents voiced concern to a national sports writer about JF’s sense of entitlement, his temper, and his drinking problem). The parents even hired and paid for one of his best friends in high school to act as his personal assistant while at A&M to try to keep their son out of trouble, yet blamed the school for not protecting him enough from the media. And before you say I’m just quoting rumors, I’m from Kerrville and my nephew played on Manziel’s high school team, so I probably have a lot more knowledge about his character than you do. The problem is not so much what he’s doing now, but how he might react when he doesn’t get to start and be the star on the team, or how he’ll handle the fans when he throws interceptions, gets sacked in the backfield, and gets blamed for losses. I’m sure the scouts uncovered more than I’m sharing here, and that’s probably quite likely the reason he dropped out of the top 10 during the draft. If it makes you feel better to blame his parents, coaches, and handlers when he was in high school and college, go right ahead. But the kid is potentially heading for a crash when he discovers for the FIRST TIME IN HIS LIFE the harsh reality of people saying no to him, booing him, etc. Fans love to pile on every other player who makes a character mistake that did not involve hurting someone, like DUI, assault, rape, or worse (ex: oooh, he smoked some pot – throw the book at him!), but if JF gets onto the field and fails it is very likely we’ll see a meltdown similar to Ryan Leaf. He simply hasn’t been prepared for what may come on the national stage in the NFL, when a player can go from superstar to bust seemingly overnight. Some have the fortitude to overcome a crash like that, and others don’t. The bigger your star power, the harder you fall…sad, but true.