Dan Marino files concussion suit against NFL

Miami Dolphins Getty Images

Former Dolphins quarterback Dan Marino is among 15 former players to have filed a federal lawsuit against the NFL claiming the league concealed the risk of concussions, among other allegations.

The suit, filed in the Eastern District of Pennsylvania and first reported on by the Los Angeles Times, alleges the NFL “actively, aggressively and deliberately conspired with its team members and/or independent contractors who were directed to continuously discount and reject the causal connection between multiple concussions suffered while playing in the NFL, a non-scientific return-to-play policy for players suffering concussions and the chronic long-term effects of those head injuries.”

The lawsuit also asserts that “(certain) named Plaintiffs have suffered in the past from an assortment of problems associated with the harm and injuries described herein, including, but not limited to, headaches, dizziness, loss of memory, dementia, depression, impulse control, impulsivity to anger, cognitive dysfunction, employment impairment, physical activity limitations, embarrassment, loss of the pleasures of life, etc.”

Marino is described thusly in the suit: “Plaintiff, Dan Marino, is an individual residing in Fort Lauderdale, (Florida). Mr. Marino played in the NFL from 1983-1999.” There is no reference to any medical conditions particularly experienced by Marino or any other named plaintiff in the suit.

After retiring from the NFL, Marino — a first-ballot Pro Football Hall of Famer – spent more than a decade as an analyst with CBS. However, the network parted ways with him in February.

The other former players filing suit with Marino are Erik Affholter, Richard Bishop, Bruce Clark, Chris Dugan, Anthony Grant, Mark Green, John Huddleston, Ethan Johnson, LaCurtis Jones, Peter Manning, Moses Moreno, Toddrick McIntosh, Jackie Wallace and Dwight Wheeler.

Permalink 180 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
180 Responses to “Dan Marino files concussion suit against NFL”
  1. alshonbrandontandem says: Jun 2, 2014 8:15 PM

What a great gig: Make millions by playing a game for your career & then when you’re done playing, sue the very league that made you wealthy & famous for millions more.

Good work if you can get it.

2. 700levelvet says: Jun 2, 2014 8:21 PM

Let’s see… Invest unwisely, father a love child and I know let me sue somebody…

3. jacobslatter says: Jun 2, 2014 8:21 PM

Danny Boy has to pay those monthly baby daddy payments with no cushy high paying gig anymore so this is the natural route to travel. Residuals from Ace Ventura don’t add up to much.

4. jredshoes says: Jun 2, 2014 8:21 PM

Lost your job? Just sue the NFL for a little cash

5. charliebatch1 says: Jun 2, 2014 8:24 PM

Doesn’t Dan realize that he makes money today because he “analyzes” games from the league that he is trying to sue

6. sporano316 says: Jun 2, 2014 8:24 PM

But he’s not broke?

7. annes22 says: Jun 2, 2014 8:25 PM

I am very surprised Dan Marino would do this.
    He doesn’t need any money, he has to have plenty.
    Please Dan quit with this. You got fired from your tv job, so maybe you are out job looking, but this is stupid.

8. truthfactory says: Jun 2, 2014 8:31 PM

Wow… I heard his wonderlic scores weren’t very good. I guess now I can see how the “I didn’t know that smashing my skull multiple times until I was unconscious was bad for my health” excuse can have some legs…

9. heyguru1969 says: Jun 2, 2014 8:32 PM

I did NOT see that coming!

10. nobreak1269 says: Jun 2, 2014 8:32 PM

If CBS had not fired him-this would not have happened.

11. haleyistheman00 says: Jun 2, 2014 8:33 PM

I just don’t get it. I’m gonna sue the NFL. It makes me drink too much during the games

12. mrbigass says: Jun 2, 2014 8:35 PM

Can I join? Watching the NFL has caused me to bang my head on the coffee table after a bad play so many times I’ve suffered multiple concussions……

13. kd75 says: Jun 2, 2014 8:37 PM

That makes sense…

14. nomargarciaparra says: Jun 2, 2014 8:38 PM

How many of these former players would have walked away from the game; leaving behind fame and riches, had they even known the long term affects of concussions? My assumption is that #13 wouldn’t have

15. ghjjf says: Jun 2, 2014 8:38 PM

Marino’s gig with CBS is finished so he needs to find a new source of income!

16. ghost26 says: Jun 2, 2014 8:40 PM

I love football but the NFL is run by pigs.

17. petecarrolmorelikecheatpayroll says: Jun 2, 2014 8:40 PM

Isotoner contract dried up, eh Dan?

18. cjnbsc says: Jun 2, 2014 8:41 PM

Danny boy must have burned through all his isotoner money.

19. stinkymcmulligan says: Jun 2, 2014 8:41 PM

Sour grapes, Dan. Sour grapes. Now he’s filing suit since CBS canned him (rightfully so).
    Disfraceful.

20. jason9696 says: Jun 2, 2014 8:43 PM

I don’t recognize the 14 names after Dan Marino.

21. rr2000k says: Jun 2, 2014 8:43 PM

Et tu Brute?

22. beattention says: Jun 2, 2014 8:45 PM

Lets see, Fired by CBS now he is a little ticked off so why not.

23. eagleswin says: Jun 2, 2014 8:45 PM

——————–

After being paid to be an NFL analyst on TV for 11 years, Marino finds himself unemployed. Now that he’s unemployed he suddenly remembers that he was concussed and wasn’t told the dangers?

I know this will shock people but the only thing football prepares you for after your career is over is TV talking head or using your fame to sell cars and autographs.

Players who think that the NFL gravy train should last their entire lives are part of the NFL welfare system.

The current concussion settlement will take care of anyone who has a legitimate debilitating concussion related ailment. There is no need for another lawsuit unless the NFL money has run out and you don’t want to get a 9-5 job.

24. youngs79 says: Jun 2, 2014 8:45 PM

Supplementing his income now that he’s out of a job. The timing is curious.

25. packerman1968 says: Jun 2, 2014 8:45 PM

Give me a break, even as a kid. I knew concussions were not good for you. Anyone with any common sense would know that getting your bell rang. Can not be good for you.

Just a money grab

26. FinFan68 says: Jun 2, 2014 8:47 PM

My football hero. Losing much respect for him and others due to these ridiculous lawsuits.

27. packerbackernj says: Jun 2, 2014 8:47 PM

Dan needs $$$

28. pooflingingmonkey says: Jun 2, 2014 8:48 PM

Everyone jump on board the money train!

#pathetic

29. elmerbrownelmerbrown says: Jun 2, 2014 8:48 PM

I never seen Dan Marino ever get hit ,,,just sayin !

30. greymares says: Jun 2, 2014 8:49 PM

Dan Marino had a concussion. How did he know ?

31. jrmalo23 says: Jun 2, 2014 8:49 PM

Well can’t blame him…he just lost his job on CBS and needs to replace his income.

32. djaehne says: Jun 2, 2014 8:50 PM

How about the fans, shouldn’t they also get a cut since we were never told the players would eventually suffer from some form of trauma. We
    spent a lot of money on tickets, transportation costs, time away from family for attending games that made us witness these acts of aggression.

33. abninf says: Jun 2, 2014 8:52 PM

Just lost respect for that dude. These idiots knew concussions can affect you.

34. nwhmpshr says: Jun 2, 2014 8:54 PM

Not that these guys don’t have a case, but I think we are watching the beginning of the end of the NFL as we know it. In ten years it will be flag football.

35. nfl4days says: Jun 2, 2014 8:55 PM

Funny how he waited until after he was fired to file. Gotta bring in the bread somehow I guess.

36. brownsmakemecrazy says: Jun 2, 2014 8:55 PM

Now the lawsuit has a face to it. I think this explains why owners have colluded to keep free agent money down. The owners and NFL know they have no leg to stand on. They are hoarding all the cash they can becuz they know they are going to shell out a ton soon

37. fumblenuts says: Jun 2, 2014 8:57 PM

Watched him on TV for years……..he seems more coherent then me and I’m the same age and never played football.

38. gobungles says: Jun 2, 2014 8:57 PM

Marino went all out to find the top names in football history to join him in this lawsuit.

39. ravenmuscle says: Jun 2, 2014 8:58 PM

If Dan suffered injuries due to concussions he should file the suit.

40. GenoAtkinswillnotbestopped says: Jun 2, 2014 9:00 PM

Bum

41. realdealsteel says: Jun 2, 2014 9:01 PM

Never liked Marino as a player and I’ve liked him as a person hearing him on the booth. He’s a piece of crap as a person from numerous reports and this is just further proof.

42. skoobyfl says: Jun 2, 2014 9:01 PM

Kelly’s strong teammate did this.

43. glenno08 says: Jun 2, 2014 9:02 PM

So he gets canned and now wants another pay day? Hmmmmmm

44. canetic says: Jun 2, 2014 9:03 PM

Say it ain’t so, Dan.

45. sweetnlow44 says: Jun 2, 2014 9:04 PM

Wow, Marino’s already out of money too?

46. naes says: Jun 2, 2014 9:06 PM

I wonder if this is why or because of him leaving CBS?

47. jimthebuilder27 says: Jun 2, 2014 9:07 PM

Dan Marino gets removed from the NFL Today, now he’s suing the league?

This Concussion Lawsuit thing gets worse by the day. The funny thing is, 90% or more of these players would still play football even if they knew the risks.

48. hammertoe11 says: Jun 2, 2014 9:07 PM

Next thing you know NFL players is going to sue is over for having lack of sex at home. Yep it’s the NFL fault. Come on clowns you knew the risk going into this in the first place.

49. rg3sus says: Jun 2, 2014 9:10 PM

He’s one of the last people I expected this from. Timing is curious considering his recent unemployment.

50. urallstupid says: Jun 2, 2014 9:10 PM

so these players thought concussions would have no effects on them? they dont have their own family doctors or something? jesus.

51. elrock7 says: Jun 2, 2014 9:11 PM

Marino cant accept the fact that no network wants him, and since he is now out of the spotlight, he might as well sue the NFL. Class act!

Tired of all these former players suing the NFL. Anyone who has played football understands the risks.

Judge, honestly I was just too stupid to understand what could happen to me after a lifetime of football!

52. honkerdawg says: Jun 2, 2014 9:12 PM

Ridiculous, play a contact sport your whole life & just now realize you can get hurt. Lost his job so he’s now hurtin for money to buy isotoner gloves to give as gifts.

53. greenejoemean says: Jun 2, 2014 9:14 PM

He was well enough to work for CBS for years though.

54. psly2124 says: Jun 2, 2014 9:15 PM

Marino teamed up
    With the who’s who of the nfl.

55. prideof10000lakes says: Jun 2, 2014 9:15 PM

I should sue the nfl for making me sit and watch football and nfl network year round and get fat.

56. bubbaword says: Jun 2, 2014 9:16 PM

The game hasn’t given you enough! You want more! Do you really need to be warned that walking off a cliff is bad for your health? The noggen was still working when you put the pads on!

57. andrewluck12 says: Jun 2, 2014 9:20 PM

Come on! Not Dan. My level of respect for him has gone down a few pegs

58. mdd913 says: Jun 2, 2014 9:24 PM

Just suspend the Saints and this will all go away. Hey, it worked before. Kinda.

59. tobywalker47 says: Jun 2, 2014 9:25 PM

Hm. He did take some licks back in the day and – despite the flying birdies – kept chuckin’ the pigskin around.

But, you hate to think that his sudden change in financial situation with his relationship with CBS had anything to do with his involvement with the case …. but it makes you wonder. I mean, Troy Aikman was the king of concussions and he has had NO MENTION of being involved with a suit against the league. Surely, Dan knew what he was doing just as Troy, except he wasn’t planning on losing a stream of income all of a sudden.

60. steelers4385 says: Jun 2, 2014 9:27 PM

I have zero respect for these crybabys. Just lost alot for Dan as well.

61. citizenstrange says: Jun 2, 2014 9:29 PM

This is all starting to fall under the category of “Are you stupid? Seriously? “

62. Spencer says: Jun 2, 2014 9:30 PM

I don’t get it, the same players that are saying the NFL didn’t protect them are the same ones that tried everything in their power to be back on the field after an injury.

63. 1rockyracoon says: Jun 2, 2014 9:30 PM

Looks like Marino has decided to burn bridges. He must have figured he wasn’t going to get another gig as a NFL analyst or as an executive with the Dolphins.

64. geniusesq says: Jun 2, 2014 9:33 PM

Peter Manning…the unsung Manning. The Tito

65. craniator says: Jun 2, 2014 9:33 PM

I’ve been one of Marino’s biggest fans for thirty plus years , but I don’t like this at all. You’ve made millions upon millions of dollars playing in the NFL , and knew the risks before you ever stepped on the field. Now you’re going to sue the league ? We expected better from you than this , sir.

66. ducknichols50 says: Jun 2, 2014 9:33 PM

Maybe at the time the NFL didnt know about the long term effects of concussions? Is that a possibility?

67. diehardpanther says: Jun 2, 2014 9:34 PM

Put me down as “former Marino fan”! So tired of these guys that made millions looking for another payday. What about the retired beer truck driver that has a bad back and bad knees? Does he deserve a settlement? These guys all knew the risk and hundreds of thousands of us would loved to have played in the NFL. WEAK SAUCE!

68. ducknichols50 says: Jun 2, 2014 9:34 PM

Unless, of course, they did.

69. briang123 says: Jun 2, 2014 9:36 PM

Getting former players who our are out of the league and, in Marino’s case, not getting a broadcasting job for at least this year, to sign up is no effort at all. The attorney tells them “I will do all the work and front all the costs. If I get you money, you give me 40-45% and repay the costs out of the settlement and if not, you pay nothing.” Who wouldn’t sign up for that? Besides, who ever heard of any of these guys except Marino and Moses Moreno? They certainly have nothing to lose.

70. valentino8100 says: Jun 2, 2014 9:36 PM

Didn’t Dan just loose his gig at CBS, lol ?

71. tonyc920 says: Jun 2, 2014 9:36 PM

Bruce Clark, Hmmmmm. Wouldn’t sign with the Packers so he went to CFL. Then signed w/New Orleans Saints. How can he prove his issue is NFL related. Yes it’s a technicality but don’t lawyers use them as an advantage ? Yes, all the time.
    I think he played in the World League too. This is a money grab.

72. diegiantsdie says: Jun 2, 2014 9:39 PM

Someone’s broke

73. realnflmaster says: Jun 2, 2014 9:39 PM

Sue ‘em for all they got!

74. cardsfann1 says: Jun 2, 2014 9:40 PM

Sue CBS Dan, not the NFL. You are mad a CBS. They canned you. The NFL made you into the multimillionaire that you are today. Shame that you seemed to have forgotten that… #lostrespectforyou

75. barrywhererufrom says: Jun 2, 2014 9:41 PM

I don’t get this one..why now? Is it because if their would be less plaintiffs to share the money with? Very confusing indeed..

76. packerswin96 says: Jun 2, 2014 9:42 PM

Ridiculous! This guy is still making a good living off of the NFL, what the hell is he doing?

77. psychoraider904 says: Jun 2, 2014 9:43 PM

No! Not Dan too.

78. crubenst says: Jun 2, 2014 9:44 PM

Interesting that a Miami Dolphin files in Philadelphia. The single worst city for malpractice lawsuits in terms of defense.

79. drs76109 says: Jun 2, 2014 9:49 PM

Well, I guess this figures. Removed from the CBS show, he likely needs income….

One would think that if he really gelt he was exploited that he would’ve filed this long ago but perhaps his CBS gig tempered that…

80. vancouversportsbro says: Jun 2, 2014 9:53 PM

Suits like this are reasons why people complain about the headshot/hit fines in the league or the sometimes weak calls made by officials.

81. thebiblestudent says: Jun 2, 2014 9:56 PM

I got fired from my job as an analyst because I stunk. But I’ll blame it on the NFL and concussions that I’m not really suffering any effects from.

Real classy there, Dan.

82. shakespeare22 says: Jun 2, 2014 9:57 PM

C’mon Danny. We’re Western PA tough. We knew the risks and we’d both do it again. JJ

83. kerzondax says: Jun 2, 2014 9:57 PM

Good.

84. footballfan14 says: Jun 2, 2014 9:59 PM

So why is he suing now and not a long time ago? This just seems like a money grab and not legit lawsuit because of the timing here. Or did he do this a long time ago and we are just hearing about it now?

85. axx1 says: Jun 2, 2014 10:00 PM

Just like all the other no names suing the nfl for one last paycheck, dan marino also knew that constantly getting slamned into turf by 300lb monsters can cause head trauma

86. jacunn2000 says: Jun 2, 2014 10:02 PM

Divorce. Sometimes you gotta do what cha gotta do. Pride be damned!

87. jlmd17 says: Jun 2, 2014 10:03 PM

What ann ungrateful idiot.

88. beerbudsnbevo says: Jun 2, 2014 10:08 PM

“Yes your honor, I had no idea football was a dangerous sport…”

What absolute joke.

89. gatorbait34 says: Jun 2, 2014 10:09 PM

If you talk to old generations all they say was football was a real man’s game back then. All those real man are now complaining about playing a real man’s game. I don’t care what they say, you have to be smart enough to know if you get hit hundreds and hundreds of times there will be repercussions.

90. armchairqb says: Jun 2, 2014 10:12 PM

Et tu, Danny?

91. ~Hate~ says: Jun 2, 2014 10:13 PM

Money grab!

92. rcali says: Jun 2, 2014 10:14 PM

Well he did lose his TV gig so I guess money was getting tight.

93. skins716 says: Jun 2, 2014 10:14 PM

disappointing.. didn’t think he would jump on the bandwagon

94. therealbillybuffalo says: Jun 2, 2014 10:19 PM

Wonder if he would be doing this if he still had a job.

95. graver757 says: Jun 2, 2014 10:19 PM

Now thats some BS! I love the NFL..Shut down the NFL first thing in the AM. Make every current and future player sign a waiver…The NFL will be back and running by tomorrow evening!!!
    Everyone player knows the risk. Shut up and enjoy your money!!!

96. jbaxt says: Jun 2, 2014 10:19 PM

In other news, life long blue collar workers have all the same ailments. They took the paycheck they accept the risk, sad? Sure, but so are seeing miners nearly all die by 65, and hobbling around for 25 years before their 65th birthday.

97. couchbasher says: Jun 2, 2014 10:22 PM

it’s called aging Dan… don’t you have enough money?

98. devrocks247 says: Jun 2, 2014 10:23 PM

Rightly so. If it weren’t for all the concussions, he may have actually amounted to something. Now he’s destitute, and with no post-football opportunities available to him. It’s terrible how the NFL just chewed this guy up and spit him out.

99. crenshawpete714 says: Jun 2, 2014 10:24 PM

Gee, they fire him in February and now he files a lawsuit. Pathetic

100. nobreak1269 says: Jun 2, 2014 10:25 PM

I never liked Marino as an analyst and as a player he was always selfish and made it about him instead of the team.After ALL of the money and women the NFL got him over the years-for him to file a lawsuit is ludricous.Dont give me the baloney about the NFL covering up concussions.You dont need a doctor to let you know when you get hit in the head you are doing long term damage.He CHOSE to do it ANYWAY for the money and fame.Thanks for giving Goodell even more reason to ruin the NFL with his safety protocol Marino.Soon they will be wearing flags.

101. dukeblue12 says: Jun 2, 2014 10:34 PM

You too!?!?

102. justintuckrule says: Jun 2, 2014 10:36 PM

He’ll kill it until he gets to trial. History says That’s where he’ll come up short.

103. footballtalk1 says: Jun 2, 2014 10:36 PM

It just got interesting

104. defscottyb says: Jun 2, 2014 10:39 PM

Marino must be broke.

105. holdsteady76 says: Jun 2, 2014 10:40 PM

On the one hand the players went willingly into the arena, and should have known the risks. On the other hand the league knew full well the damaging effects of concussions and went to great lengths to cover it up. More than that they made millions (if not billions) marketing the high impact collisions. People gripe about the league going too far to protect players from collision now days, but they really have no choice given their past transgressions. Football will always be a physical game, but best bet for the foreseeable future the league is not going to let up on player safety in order to protect themselves from future lawsuits. I just hope the on field officials get smarter about what they call and when they call it.

106. afcdomination says: Jun 2, 2014 10:41 PM

then I fully expect you to stop supporting it. which would mean to go find a new job. stop commenting on the sport all together. go get a job in baseball or something. don’t sit there and sue the NFL, while having a high paying gig profiting off it.

107. davidm1886 says: Jun 2, 2014 10:44 PM

Never been a dolphins fan but who doesn’t respect his game and talent…..he has made quite alot of money off this violent game….even post career. Not a fan of guys who made riches make these lawsuits. Especially when the nfl settlement provided a lot of money for players who didn’t make anywhere near what he made and he’s going against that settlement

108. eaglesnoles05 says: Jun 2, 2014 10:44 PM

Out of a job? I’m sure there’s a lawsuit to file against someone! You’ll be ok!

109. davidm1886 says: Jun 2, 2014 10:47 PM

To add on my previous comment….how do up value concussion damage/compensation when these guys play high school and college football for years before playing a snap in the nfl

110. dannersthemanners says: Jun 2, 2014 10:47 PM

It’s crazy to think about filing suit against an employer you worked for over a decade ago.

Can you imagine doing that if you worked a normal corporate job? That option would probably not be available.

111. humanlawndart says: Jun 2, 2014 10:48 PM

Uh-Oh. Those Nutrisystem commercials must not be panning out too well.

112. Goodell's Green Glasses says: Jun 2, 2014 10:48 PM

The NFL knew about potential concussion issues back in the 70s.

113. dannersthemanners says: Jun 2, 2014 10:48 PM

…not that I disagree with his claims…just stating it’s pretty crazy they can do that.

114. dethsupport says: Jun 2, 2014 10:52 PM

I’d like a taste of this action. Although, I wasn’t physically gifted enough to play professional football and earn millions. Maybe I’ll sue my employer for withholding certain facts pertaining to excessive sitting leading to excessive fatness. I guess there’s carpil tunnel too. Do I have to wait until I’m severed due to limp wrist or fatness? I’m so confused.

115. briguy5 says: Jun 2, 2014 10:53 PM

If Dan Marino is showing signs of concussion syndrome, then Drew Bledsoe must be in a permanent vegetative state.

116. govtminion says: Jun 2, 2014 10:57 PM

So he waited until he wasn’t working for CBS anymore to do this? So that means he spent the past, what, ten years still working in football and collecting a paycheck off the NFL, then as soon as that’s over he files the lawsuit?

I’m not saying he should have not filed at all, but… the timing is kind of disappointing to me, I guess.

117. discosucs2005 says: Jun 2, 2014 10:58 PM

This issue is gonna get uglier and uglier as more and more household name players get into the mix. The NFL is the king of the American sports world right now, and should act fast to not less this drag out the way Major League Baseball allowed steroids to do.

Another important take away from pro baseball is that Bud Selig’s strategy of trying to turn the fans against players (Bonds, McGuire, Sosa, etc.) only works for so long. If it’s just Bonds, who was already not well liked outside of SF, that’s one thing, but once popular guys got involved it got ugly. The NFL needs to keep this from getting ugly.

118. iamthorny says: Jun 2, 2014 10:59 PM

Had he not been fired from CBS do you think he does this?

119. jsavage58 says: Jun 2, 2014 11:02 PM

I guess he has free time to litigate and look for more handouts since he got canned from his tv gig. All these hypocrites will eventually kill the game. All great things must come to and end and all these lawsuits are just the beginning for the nfl. It’s sad… I love football but check back in 10 years and it’s going to look a lot different. Youth football lost 400k participants over the last 5 years and more lawsuits like this will only continue to kill it

120. warjag55 says: Jun 2, 2014 11:02 PM

Well Dan did not join an elite group there did he?

121. drglory says: Jun 2, 2014 11:04 PM

Bitter maybe?

122. ctiggs says: Jun 2, 2014 11:06 PM

O Danny Boy the pipes the pipes are calling………

123. witchrunner says: Jun 2, 2014 11:06 PM

Dan: Do you really think that you were paid millions to play chinese checkers? Do you really think that if you got knocked all over the place that you wouldn’t suffer some lasting affects? Sorry Dan, but the fact is that with what you are claiming is information withheld from you on purpose, you’d still make the same decision to play and assume the risks, just like the entire NFL is doing now.

124. peopletrains says: Jun 2, 2014 11:07 PM

He must be running out of Isotoner money.

125. lanman11 says: Jun 2, 2014 11:09 PM

Marino’s release was so quick I never saw him get hit. His uniform was never dirty.

126. rosstuckershair says: Jun 2, 2014 11:12 PM

Goodbye CBS and hello NFL settlement. Good timing with the firing and all Dan. The NFL should just park an ice cream type truck outside it’s headquarters and just give cash to the players out the to-go window

127. nite2al says: Jun 2, 2014 11:12 PM

Obviously, this was necessary…it took him 15 years to realize he had been hit in the head!

128. nycsportsfanatic says: Jun 2, 2014 11:13 PM

He’s a smart guy and knew the risks – surprised at the money grab by Dan – I guess loosing a job will make you desperate.

129. roadtrip3500 says: Jun 2, 2014 11:18 PM

Dismissed from The NFL on CBS… needs cash.

130. bcgreg says: Jun 2, 2014 11:20 PM

I’m sorry, but these old players knew what they were doing while they were playing. This b.s. has to stop. 15-20 years ago, retired players like Marino would laugh off that they played after they got their “bell rung” and treated it as a badge of honor that they did. But now that they see potential millions, it’s not so funny. This has nothing to do with anything other than a potential windfall.

131. deathtoromo says: Jun 2, 2014 11:26 PM

What a list of “no-names”

132. joboosmojo says: Jun 2, 2014 11:37 PM

Money grab. He knew the risks just like everyone else. None of these players were conscripted into the service of the NFL, they were free to walk away at any time.

133. bobzilla1001 says: Jun 2, 2014 11:39 PM

Can’t help but wonder if Marino would’ve involved himself in this if he hadn’t lost his NFL TV gig. There was a time, not long ago, when Marino was outspokenly opposed to former players suing the NFL.
    Sad to see him turn into another former player just looking for another substantial payday.

134. greenbaydean says: Jun 2, 2014 11:41 PM

Of course he did. CBS fired his a** and he no longer has a life line to the NFL dollar tree…. Time to shake another tree and see what he can get….

135. rajbais says: Jun 2, 2014 11:43 PM

Is this suit around because you couldn’t get a gig after CBS dumped you?

136. randomguy9999 says: Jun 2, 2014 11:55 PM

not surprising… at the end of the day, every former player will sue…. and all of them will get some kind of check… and the major vets like Marino will get more….

but, it’s still a sport where everyone knew the risk and they did it anyway

137. ducksk says: Jun 3, 2014 12:07 AM

Dano, c’mon man. Yes you got your noodle knocked, and so did many. You’d looked good pitching infomercials for years. You broke dude? You decided to play 16 years. You decided to take the field and keep playing the game. You knew the consequences or are you stupid too?

138. vicnocal says: Jun 3, 2014 12:08 AM

Those old Dolphins uniforms are pretty sweet.

139. mrneto72 says: Jun 3, 2014 12:23 AM

Did he run out of money? ? How about another pet detective movie?

140. icdogg says: Jun 3, 2014 12:26 AM

I don’t know what to make of the suit, but Dan Marino was one of the best quarterbacks I’ve ever seen. I’ve never seen anyone else scan the field like that. I don’t even think he went through any progressions, he just saw everything at once. And he could get rid of the ball in a hurry.

141. seadawgs72 says: Jun 3, 2014 12:29 AM

I’ve been a hardcore football fan for over 30 years. College & pro. Dan Marino is the only name on that list i remember.

142. djstat says: Jun 3, 2014 12:31 AM

Officially lost respect for Dan Marino

143. milkcan44 says: Jun 3, 2014 12:40 AM

Did many of these guys ever get on the field? Certainly not Moses Mareno. I didn’t know so many concussions happened in practice.

144. jameslongstaffe says: Jun 3, 2014 12:47 AM

Unfortunately the standards of today, don’t apply 30 years ago… not in medicine, so the whole argument against the NFL is bound to fail, because the standard of care 30 years ago was different. Dan Marino should know better

145. raiders4ever says: Jun 3, 2014 12:52 AM

I hope Cliff Branch sues NFL also ..hes a deserving HOF hes been hit going across middle so many times he never missed time and he was the starting wr for 3 super bowl championships…he might as well sue NFL since the NFL does not appricaite his greatness and same goes for Lester Hayes and the late Todd Christionson id take him over Tony Gonzales anyday…Raider Nation…and good for the NFL they people they praise sues them and the people that just accpet it never complained but they dont dont there due…

146. somuch4gravity says: Jun 3, 2014 12:59 AM

Wait, you mean to tell me getting hit repeatedly would have an adverse effect on my health?

147. 86browns says: Jun 3, 2014 1:22 AM

Really Dan Marino? I understand the rest of those no names trying to squeeze one last dime out of the 15 times they broke the wedge on kickoffs in the 1980’s, but you? The law suit should just say “dudes who are bitter that they played in the league before the money got crazy, but still made great money at the time….vs the NFL” If you go back in time and tell Marino that he could trade all his fame and fans and glory and Isotoner glove commercials because he risked “headaches, dizziness, loss of memory, dementia, depression, impulse control, impulsivity to anger, cognitive dysfunction, employment impairment, physical activity limitations, embarrassment, loss of the pleasures of life, etc.” do you think he would take that deal? This suit should last as long as Marino’s stint as GM.

148. andrejohnsonforpresident says: Jun 3, 2014 1:25 AM

You can say what you want about these lawsuits and these new rules that make the nfl “softer”, I think the future picture is clear. With less concussions from new rules and better policy to analyze these players before letting them play again. I believe the players who entered the league when Goodell took over and started making all these new rules will show a drastic drop off in long term effects.

I say this because every time I see old film and how players got knocked out. Mixed together with all of these things they’re saying about teams such as

““actively, aggressively and deliberately conspired with its team members and/or independent contractors who were directed to continuously discount and reject the causal connection between multiple concussions suffered while playing in the NFL, a non-scientific return-to-play policy for players suffering concussions and the chronic long-term effects of those head injuries.””

Well those two things mixed together sound TERRIBLE. So ya, good for Dan Marino and all the players that are suing the league. Could you imagine your boss lying to you about pesticides and your body and telling you to keep doing your job. Then 20 years later all your friends are all messed up? Honestly, I think a bigger piece of the pie should go towards helping former players of the NFL. I thought what the Seahawks did to help that one guy out was fantastic. I’d love to see all teams and players agree to give a good enough chunk to these former players that they no longer have to sue for it.

Who am I kidding though, this is America.

149. andrejohnsonforpresident says: Jun 3, 2014 1:25 AM

Who am I kidding though, this is the NFL.

150. cardmagnet says: Jun 3, 2014 1:56 AM

Now that he’s unemployed and needs a source of income, it’s time to try and milk the NFL via lawsuit. This is a tactic usually only seen by those who flopped out of the league as opposed to former superstars, but I guess this proves nobody is above it.

151. jerrysglassescleaner says: Jun 3, 2014 1:57 AM

I would make a Dan Marino joke but it wouldn’t have quite a “ring” to it.

152. raiders4ever says: Jun 3, 2014 2:24 AM

Marino never won anything and yet the NFL always tryed taking care of there favorite players…he dont even deserve to be in the HOF.. you compare Marino to Jim Plunkett who deserves to be in hof more..Plunkett lead his team to 2 super bowl wins…hes not trent dilfer dilfer only won one and he only handed ball off…Plunkett made big plays in big games and what does the NFL DO…they leave him off the HOF like they do to Cliff branch 3 time super bowl winner ..todd christinson and lester hayes…but no keep taking care of your favorites like marino so they can stab you in the back. you could see the NFL changing to much to fast and its getting worse…RAIDER NATION

153. grant1979 says: Jun 3, 2014 3:20 AM

Another idiot who mishandled his money.

154. 302baller says: Jun 3, 2014 4:06 AM

Marino like the rest of them gets zero sympathy. No one put a gun to his head to force him to play. Everyone who’s ever played the game knows its dangers. After the first concussion, he could of switched careers.

155. showmeram says: Jun 3, 2014 5:44 AM

I never liked Marino. I can’t believe this guy is backstabbing the NFL.

156. zoxitic says: Jun 3, 2014 6:08 AM

if you ever listened to him on Sunday morning you would know why

157. staffordsyear says: Jun 3, 2014 6:12 AM

Moses Moreno..Really? What did he play something like 7 minutes in the league?

158. punkyqb says: Jun 3, 2014 6:18 AM

Lost a little respect for a the man. Jumping on the bandwagon.

159. flaccoishermanmunster says: Jun 3, 2014 6:33 AM

Interesting. Will he still be able to work for CBS…who the NFL has in their back pocket?

160. tushymcspankspank says: Jun 3, 2014 6:40 AM

What’s wrong Dan, the nest egg’s running low?

161. jimmyt says: Jun 3, 2014 7:05 AM

Quite an imperssive list of losers there including Mr. Marino.

162. maddog111 says: Jun 3, 2014 7:15 AM

I think they had to add Marino’s name to the list so we’d actually believe the other guys were former NFL players.

163. ghent32 says: Jun 3, 2014 7:46 AM

This is disheartening. I’m a lifer Fins fan and lifer Marino fan.

I’ve done nothing but criticize the players involved in “The Big Money Grab of 2013″. So now I have to criticize my man Dan.

Dan being involved will make me sit up and pay a bit more attention to what’s going on, but I doubt even he could convince me of this being a legit lawsuit.

Many of these players will lie to the team about what they’re feeling just to get back out there, and while a silly thing to do, it’s also a form of bravery that you admire….so don’t come back years later with this crap.

164. cuda1234 says: Jun 3, 2014 7:48 AM

C’mon, Dan. First the intern and now this? I thought you were better than that!

165. skoobyfl says: Jun 3, 2014 7:58 AM

Laces out Dan.

166. jakescott13 says: Jun 3, 2014 8:11 AM

As a huge Marino fan growing up…this is hugely disappointing. Say it ain’t so, Danny boy.

167. butlers91 says: Jun 3, 2014 8:26 AM

“However, the network parted ways with him in February.”

Time for a cash grab.

168. dtr3e says: Jun 3, 2014 9:10 AM

So now players are suing the NFL for loss of the pleasures in life? What now their not making millions and living a glamorous life style, they feel owed? These lawsuits need to be thrown out and never heard of again

169. pjmulloy says: Jun 3, 2014 9:16 AM

Marino is just giving the NFL a taste of its own medicine. How can the league complain when they have been making the money grab their main focus ever since Goodell took over?

170. swortybounce says: Jun 3, 2014 9:36 AM

Breaking News

Marino hired by NFL network as analyst for Gameday show.

24 hours later: Marino withdraws NFL lawsuit

171. farmmbig says: Jun 3, 2014 9:51 AM

Greed

172. jagsandliquor says: Jun 3, 2014 9:57 AM

Nooooo not you too Dan!

173. eaglesnoles05 says: Jun 3, 2014 10:05 AM

here are two different things being talked about here legally, and alot of people, including Ed Werner and Mark Brunell just now on Sportscenter, and mixing them up for their convenience.

1) Dan Marino, and other players, have always said, as they should, that they know they could get hurt/injured, head to toe, every time they set foot on the field, and they accepted that. They wouldn’t be able to make a suit alleging that they were unaware that could get injured or suffer concussions stand up. No one would. So that is true.

2) Dan Marino, and other players, played in a time where evidence now shows that ACTIVE CONCEALMENT of new (then) medical data concerning the long term effects of concussions occurred from the league office all the way down to the team medical staffs. The league and the teams had a “responsibility to inform” at that point. They had to decide- is it reasonable to disclose this info as soon as they began to see it and use it to implement return-to-play-after-injury safety protocols that reflect, to the best of their knowledge, the safest and most informed system they can reasonably run? Or is is reasonable to ignore this medical evidence and not say anything about it for whatever reason? So then there’s that choice the NFL had to make. For many years, they chose (b).

If the trier of fact finds that players (or teams, then players through the teams) should have been officially briefed by the NFL and they weren’t, that’s an actionable legal issue. If the trier of fact finds that no one was briefed and asked to sign off on any relevant data concerning the long term health/life/death of players that they became aware of within a reasonable time of that awareness occurning, then there is gonna be a HUGE payday. That’s looks like the case here, and players from that era are lining up.

Everything happening today for “player safety” regarding concussions is in reaction to this and it gets the NFL off the hook in this era because now people are educated and informed by the NFL “to the best of the NFL’s knowledge.” Is the NFL responsible for everything that can go wrong on the footabll field? No. Should that mean they lie and conceal cutting edge info about health as it arrises in medical studies that they are made aware of? Also no.

So players from Marino’s day see this new age rules/protocols barage, and they say “wait, they never told me this stuff…” And if the NFL didn’t know, or shouldn’t/couldn’t have known about “this stuff” then there’s nothing anyone can do. But for the players in the times between (a) where the league started seeing established and credible data about the long term effects of concussions and more safe time-tables for return to play, and (b) where they started disclosing this and implementing reactionary safety protocols for it—- BANK TIME for those players. They can recover, and are doing it. Even Dan the Man.

People who are tired of people grabbing easy money where they can are interesting… This is easy money grab for these guys and they, like anyone, should take what the can. And give what they can once they take it too. Pretty sure Dan marino is pretty charitable. so if this money, in part or whole, goes to charity, what say y’all now?

174. qdog112 says: Jun 3, 2014 10:11 AM

AMAZING! Don’t these players know that they exist purely for our entertainment and pleasure.

Most of them got paid very well, so why should they and their families care about the future of the gladiators that serve only to make our lives more bearable.

They’re not really people. any resemblance to normal employees in the American workplace is strictly incidental. They shouldn’t sue. As a matter of fact, no worker should ever be able to sue his boss.

If he cuts your pay, takes away your overtime, paid vacation and healthcare, it’s OK. This is America and the “job creators” can do what they want. If workers (especially football players) want a safe work environment. They can go to a civilized nation with worker protections. Suing the 1% for what they have worked so hard to steal, is not the American way.

175. natijim235 says: Jun 3, 2014 10:15 AM

probably from the nutri-system

176. bspurloc says: Jun 3, 2014 11:03 AM

worst quarterback ever….

no rings

177. mancave001 says: Jun 3, 2014 11:20 AM

I think it’s an incredibly bad PR move for him. He made millions playing, is a Hall of Famer, and a current commentator who still manages to do product endorsements. Him suing the NFL separately really rubs me the wrong way. I can only assume he needs to the money, or there is another, broad legal angle at play.

178. mdd913 says: Jun 3, 2014 11:39 AM

Laughable that everybody commenting is siding with the billionaires and not the millionaires. What exactly does corrupt big business have to do in the country before people start waking up?

179. bubba703 says: Jun 3, 2014 12:39 PM

Marino’s attempted money grab from the entity that provided him a long lucrative career almost makes one wish Ace Ventura hadn’t rescued him from Ray Finkle.

180. shaddock44 says: Jun 8, 2014 12:40 PM

What a loser. I hope the NFL as learned its lesson. You can Google a big selection of Liability Waiver Forms, hard to believe they didnt have that covered???
    Meanwhile Danny boy go stick your little penuckle in some unsuspecting tv minion who falls deeply in love with you. Wonder if Danny is any relation to Donald?