Jets get first-rounder Calvin Pryor under contract

Calvin Pryor AP

The Jets have knocked out their first-round pick.

Rookie safety Calvin Pryor, whose “Louisville Slugger” nickname might have been the best of the latest NFL Draft class, has signed his rookie contract, according to the team’s official website.

The hard-hitting safety missed some OTAs after having some wisdom teeth removed, but they hope he’s jarring the dental work of others this season.

“I’m very confident in my ability, first and foremost,” he said during his appearance at rookie camp. “I feel like I have the complete package as a safety,” he said. “Most people know me as a hard-hitting safety because I had a few hard hits in college. But when you watch my film, you see that playmaking ability that jumps out at you, a guy that’s flying around and has passion for the game.”

The Jets have no signed 11 of their 12 picks.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Jets, Rumor Mill
11 Responses to “Jets get first-rounder Calvin Pryor under contract”
  1. realnflmaster says: Jun 2, 2014 12:57 PM

He’s going to knock Sammy Watkins to LA with the rest of the Bills.

2. urmomsmyho says: Jun 2, 2014 1:07 PM

Another sneaky good pick by the Jets…
    Could be this year’s Sheldon Richardson in terms of impact and value.

3. radiofriendly420 says: Jun 2, 2014 1:11 PM

I think this guy is going to be a great player. Not good, great.

I was really hoping the Lions would trade down a few spots to land him (or Shazier) somewhere in the middle of the 1st round.

Very excited to watch this guy play ball. He’s got that violent “I don’t care” attitude you love to see in your team’s defenders.

4. whiteknightblackheart says: Jun 2, 2014 1:14 PM

If the offense can generate more time of possession this season and not gas out this D, they could easily be top 5.

5. pftfan says: Jun 2, 2014 1:28 PM

Smart pick by the Jets. They need all the coverage help they can get with their young CB’s still developing.

6. kev86 says: Jun 2, 2014 1:36 PM

This kid seems like he is going to be solid. Nice pick by NYJ

7. Patskrieg dot com says: Jun 2, 2014 1:43 PM

Super talented player who is a 50/50 shot to be nurtured into a longtime productive NFL starter or a guy whose best skill is blasting people in the helmet and racking up 100 yards in penalties a game.

Take your guess which way the Jets will go.

8. whodatfromtheville says: Jun 2, 2014 1:46 PM

This guy was a beast at UofL and he will continue that with the Jets. Good pick.

9. greymares says: Jun 2, 2014 2:30 PM

Can’t cover the only way this kid becomes great is to gain 40lbs and moves to Lb.

10. aa1829 says: Jun 2, 2014 2:41 PM

It will be fun to watch how he and Ha Ha compare in their play next season. A Packer fan.

11. jetsfaninindy says: Jun 2, 2014 3:29 PM

Rex knows D. This pick was purely a Ryan pick. Possible bank to back DRoy?!?!