A.J. Hawk is still flying high, except without his lunch

Blue Angels AP

A.J. Hawk has been preparing to fly with the Blue Angels for years.

But he still wasn’t ready for it when it finally happened.

The Packers linebacker admitted his long-awaited flight with the Navy’s jet-fighter demonstration squad didn’t go quite as he had hoped.

“I was dying,” Hawk said, via Jason Wilde of ESPNWisconsin.com. “I was terrible. . . .

“I’m a baby anyway. I get carsick, so I knew I was going to get sick up there.”

Hawk admitted he went to the airsick bag “two-plus” times during the 50-minute flight.

“[The pilot] is a nice guy. I didn’t puke on him. I got it in the bag,” he said. “Man, it was amazing. I’d do it again in a heartbeat. I felt bad because I was apologizing to him the whole time because I got sick.”

He had been scheduled to fly with them twice before, but was delayed by weather and a government sequester.

Perhaps his stomach, and his pilot, would have been better off if he waited a little longer.

Permalink 43 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
43 Responses to “A.J. Hawk is still flying high, except without his lunch”
  1. ariani1985 says: Jun 3, 2014 5:06 PM

since he can’t fly around the football field and make plays might as well try it in the sky…….

#oldandslowisthepackerway

2. chicagobtech says: Jun 3, 2014 5:13 PM

I think the funniest advice I’ve heard given to people going up with the Blue Angels (or Thunderbirds) is to have peanut butter as the meal before you go flying. Why peanut butter? “It tastes the same coming up as it does going down.”

3. orivar says: Jun 3, 2014 5:14 PM

I hate to be that guy ariani1985 but it seems like he’s doing something more eventful than hating on a football blog.

4. thevikesarebest says: Jun 3, 2014 5:18 PM

If you were packer fan you damn sure wouldn’t have forgotten about anything involving food.hes like the rest of their d line and o line,old overweight and slow.SKOL

5. Go-Hawks! says: Jun 3, 2014 5:18 PM

Can’t wait for game 1.

#JuneMediaCrawl

6. In Teddy We Trust says: Jun 3, 2014 5:19 PM

At least he had the courage to do it even though he knew he was probably going to get sick. That’s what keeps him on the field while half of his teammates are nursing themselves in the training room and the yoga classes.

7. timcast12 says: Jun 3, 2014 5:21 PM

He’s just mad because the Vikings suck lol has nothing better to do hahaha

8. GenXJay says: Jun 3, 2014 5:26 PM

normal Americans don’t get these privileges.

9. lambeauphan says: Jun 3, 2014 5:30 PM

his tackling abilities make me sick to my stomach

10. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Jun 3, 2014 5:30 PM

What a fun story. It’s nice to see a Super Bowl champion who is still able to make light of himself. Lets the world see that, even though he is a world champion with a championship ring, he’s really still just a regular guy. Nice.

11. ErinAndrewsStopCallingMe says: Jun 3, 2014 5:39 PM

It’s cute that 99.9% of serving Americans in the military don’t get to ride in a Blue Angel or Thunderbird, but someone that makes millions playing a game does. Way to show your priorities DoD.

12. pftisfulloftrolls says: Jun 3, 2014 5:52 PM

Flying High might’ve given some people different ideas after recent events.

13. raiderapologist says: Jun 3, 2014 5:52 PM

I feel honored to be able to contribute tax money for that ride.

14. ajgreenhof says: Jun 3, 2014 6:02 PM

Best post title ever.

15. djshnooks says: Jun 3, 2014 6:07 PM

Well, I guess 99.9% of people in the military should join the Air Force then, eh?

Money can buy you anything, and it will continue to be that way forever.

On a side note, my cousin just graduated from the Air Force and we were talking about this on Memorial Day…and he told me there is no way to prepare yourself for something like this, or being on a ship. You’ll either get sick or you won’t, but there’s nothing you can do to prevent it…just have to get used to it through time.

Just one more aspect of the military people don’t think about or recognize…it’s tough stuff and I commend anyone involved with any branch of the military. Stories my Dad and Uncle used to tell me about jumping out of helicopters/planes, down into deep and dark jungles of Vietnam, were amazing. I still have all the slides (pictures) they took while over there. It’s eye-opening…and I wish I had somewhere to share some of these photos…if I knew how to develop slides into pictures. Lmao.

That’s probably my biggest regret in life…not following my father’s path, joining the Marine Corps out of high school. :-/

16. smackingfools says: Jun 3, 2014 6:22 PM

Wonder how many bags McNabb would’ve needed?

17. footballfan says: Jun 3, 2014 6:23 PM

normal Americans don’t get these privileges.

***********

I’m a pretty normal American and I got 3 rides in a back seat of an F-16…..

18. footballfan says: Jun 3, 2014 6:29 PM

I feel honored to be able to contribute tax money for that ride.

**********

You should feel honored! Whether that back seat was filled or not, that plane would have been flying with that pilot in it! Its called training…

People don’t realize that every time a military aircraft leaves the ground it has a purpose. Those wonderful fly-overs done at most sporting events are great for training pilots to fly over an exact coordinate at an exact time. Very useful in combat situations. Precision flying by the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds not only helps with recruiting, it also is excellent training for the pilots. Most of the maneuvers done at airshows are done in combat also.

19. jcbadger34 says: Jun 3, 2014 6:39 PM

As usual, five of the first nine comments on a Packers story are from bitter Vikings fans.

Jealousy is a cruel mistress.

20. coachbeck says: Jun 3, 2014 6:44 PM

A good Elk

21. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Jun 3, 2014 6:46 PM

@ITWT.

yoga? Is that a veiled insult at ARodg? When you’re as good as he is, it’s hard to find ways to improve, so you gotta thing outside the box, hence yoga. Make fun all you want, but he’s a champion, how’s your team doing?

22. scoochpooch says: Jun 3, 2014 6:57 PM

Good for him, too bad he is awful on the field.
    Yet another former Buckeye with a terrible pro career.

23. 13x Offseason World Champions says: Jun 3, 2014 7:01 PM

@ Carl

Well, our coach admitted he really didn’t even want to take the HC position, so we have that going for us…

24. axespray says: Jun 3, 2014 7:06 PM

So AJ was like Will Smith’s buddy from Independence Day?

25. filthymcnastyi says: Jun 3, 2014 7:12 PM

Packers are done, finished…window has slammed shut!

26. jcbadger34 says: Jun 3, 2014 7:36 PM

AJ Hawk was picked 12 spots ahead of Chad Greenway. Here are their career stats.

Hawk – 832 tackles, 18.5 sacks, 9 interceptions.
    Greenway – 899 tackles, 14.5 sacks, 9 interceptions.

In Minnesota, Greenway is considered one of the best Vikings of the past decade.

In Green Bay, Hawk is considered a disappointment.

I guess when your team is used to mediocrity like the Vikings, you hold your players to a lower standard.

27. crewchief15 says: Jun 3, 2014 7:39 PM

Never thought I could say I was better than a NFL player, but I had 2 flights in an F-15 and never threw up. I can say that I knew not to eat much prior to the flights, having worked them for years. Also he knew to use the bag because no matter who you are “you clean your own puke up” this rule is known to all in the fighter aircraft world.

28. crewchief15 says: Jun 3, 2014 7:44 PM

By the way I’m some what a normal person although many of my old Air Force buddies might disagree :)

29. GenoAtkinswillnotbestopped says: Jun 3, 2014 7:45 PM

chicagobtech says:
    Jun 3, 2014 5:13 PM

——–

Skittles

30. ariani1985 says: Jun 3, 2014 7:52 PM

But chad makes tackles and AJ is getting dragged into the secondary. Nice try…..

31. raiderapologist says: Jun 3, 2014 8:14 PM

footballfan says: Jun 3, 2014 6:29 PM

I feel honored to be able to contribute tax money for that ride.

**********

——————-
    I do contract work at the local AFB. I understand the training aspect. The celebrity ride-along? Not so much.

32. ctiggs says: Jun 3, 2014 8:16 PM

coachbeck says:
    Jun 3, 2014 6:44 PM
    A good Elk

i prefer the Warriors !!

33. stellarperformance says: Jun 3, 2014 8:27 PM

AJ Hawk is worth it. He reads defenses and barks instructions better than any linebacker in the North Division. He’s rarely injured, is a team player, and recognizes his limitations by accepting a restructured contract. He’s a keeper and one of the best. Chad who?

34. bobnelsonjr says: Jun 3, 2014 8:29 PM

I have been back seat when the pilot flies what they call the squirrel cage demonstrating several maneuvers in rapid succession. Nothing compares to it and if you are not accustomed to it you will lose your lunch.

Roller Coasters are so lame by comparison as none drops you 2000 ft. An unexpected 4.5 G turn can break your concentration.

I’m happy for AJ that he got the experience, and was humble by it. I only wish that he had gotten a chance to do a carrier landing and get squeezed into his straps.

The Blue Angels are several steps beyond the thunderbirds.

35. stellarperformance says: Jun 3, 2014 8:30 PM

Anybody can take a ride in these planes. You can’t afford it, but he can? So what? You earn it your way, you spend it your way.

36. purplezimmerpride says: Jun 3, 2014 8:40 PM

My Vikings NFC North worst defense has made me lose my lunch on more than one occasion.

37. vltrophy14 says: Jun 3, 2014 10:04 PM

Filtymcnasty FYI no the window isn’t shut & I’d bet your teams window hasn’t been open for a long long long time. Congrats to Hawk for being able to get the honor to fly w/the blue angels. It is too bad bout him barfing but we would likely do the same.

38. backdapack4evr says: Jun 3, 2014 10:12 PM

@ariani1985
    Jun 3, 2014, 4:06 PM CDT

Perhaps you need a hobby or a friend?
    I feel bad for you!

39. Satanic Hell Creature says: Jun 3, 2014 11:43 PM

Hawk – 832 tackles, 18.5 sacks, 9 interceptions.
    Greenway – 899 tackles, 14.5 sacks, 9 interceptions.

In Green Bay, Hawk is considered a disappointment.

–Nice to see you cherrypicked stats and left out a few important ones.

Hawk has played in 126 games
    Greenway has played in 112 games

Hawk has 574 solo tackles and 258 assists
    Greenway has 623 solo tackles and 276 assists

Hawk is an ILB
    Greenway is an OLB

A good MLB or ILB should always lead the LB corps in tackles

So, in almost an entire season less play Greenway has FAR outperformed Hawk. If Hawk had played as an OLB, he probably would have 10 – 20% lower stats.

40. In Teddy We Trust says: Jun 4, 2014 1:25 AM

@jcb34 -

Greenway missed his rookie season with a torn ACL. Anyway, stats are for losers. Anyone who knows anything about football knows that Greenway is way better than Hawk. They also play different positions. And when you’re the 5th pick of the draft, you’re supposed to be good, not mediocre.

41. walkinginthewasteland says: Jun 4, 2014 9:02 AM

_____________

And a lot isnt. Inverted flight at low level has no combat purpose. As a matter of fact most of their tight formation flying serves no combat purpose either.

The precision flying on demonstration day doesn’t serve a training purpose. Its negligible compared to the winter training schedule of twice a day, 6 days a week (120 flights) to prepare for the demonstration flights.

42. purpleguy says: Jun 4, 2014 11:28 AM

If he knew he was gonna get sick, I wonder why he just didn’t eat the day before he flew?

43. crewchief15 says: Jun 4, 2014 1:15 PM

It’s not that simple, to not eat the day before, because flying a fighter aircraft is like weightlifting for an hour. You have to have fuel in your body to maintain your stamina, so it’s more about conditioning.