Charlie Whitehurst didn’t think anyone would take arm wrestling hoax seriously

Charlie Whitehurst, Dexter McCluster AP

Players join new teams every offseason and their arrivals often lead to stories about deals being struck to get preferred uniform numbers from new teammates.

Such deals usually include a cash payment or charitable donation in exchange for switching digits, but it appeared there was a new approach in Tennessee this offseason when quarterback Charlie Whitehurst posted on Instagram that he lost an arm wrestling match to punter Brett Kern over the No. 6 that Whitehurst wore in San Diego and Kern has been wearing in Tennessee.

A short time later, Kern intimated that there never was an arm wrestling match and Whitehurst confirmed on Monday that the entire things was a figment of his imagination.

“It all happened so fast. I don’t remember what motivated me to do it, but I think it was kind of like, ‘Hey, this looks pretty good,’” Whitehurst said, via the Tennessean. “It was a 30-second thought. I didn’t think anybody took me that serious.”

Whitehurst said that he asked Kern how tied he was to No. 6 when he signed with the Titans and that he thinks he would have beaten Kern, but that it would have been “fairly irresponsible” for a quarterback to engage in an arm wrestling bout. Whitehurst will wear No. 12 this season and we’ll all just have to continue to wonder what would happen if he and Kern decided to film a sequel to Over the Top.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans
22 Responses to “Charlie Whitehurst didn’t think anyone would take arm wrestling hoax seriously”
  1. weepingjebus says: Jun 3, 2014 9:36 AM

My faith in Charlie Whitehurst has been shattered.

2. mt10425 says: Jun 3, 2014 9:41 AM

Can anyone imagine the fallout if CW had injured his throwing arm just participating in a match?

3. indywilson40 says: Jun 3, 2014 9:43 AM

A career backup married to a jersey number. Now that’s a first.

4. northernwisc says: Jun 3, 2014 9:52 AM

“I didn’t think anybody took me that serious.”

As a quarterback? No!

5. thestrategyexpert says: Jun 3, 2014 9:58 AM

There can be no sequel without Stallone!

And wake up Charlie, either you are lying to get people to not worry about how you are risking your arm or your lost pride, or you don’t realize that some fans take this game very seriously and they don’t like pretend stuff. This is as embarrassing as an arm wrestling story can get, even more than the time I once lost to a girl. At least my story is real and honest, and I just couldn’t beat her she was a competitive arm wrestler and I never had a chance!

6. kneelbeforesod says: Jun 3, 2014 10:01 AM

An Over the Top reference and a QB who resembles a vintage Kenny Loggins.

My morning is now complete.

P. S. It should also be noted that I happened to see this same QB on a piece of toast recently…….

7. iman62 says: Jun 3, 2014 10:02 AM

The punter was losing until he turned his hat around and went over the top.

8. itsunclepauley says: Jun 3, 2014 10:05 AM

funny, up until last week I would have rolled my eyes at how it would be “irresponsible” for a quarterback to arm wrestle.

Then a few nights ago, two buddies arm wrestle at a bar (nothing good happens after midnight), and one guy’s arm gets broken. Just like that.

9. raiderapologist says: Jun 3, 2014 10:21 AM

It’s the most newsworthy thing Clipboard Jesus has done in the league since acquiring his nickname.

10. sweetnlow44 says: Jun 3, 2014 10:51 AM

People took it seriously because the story was completely believable.

11. grandstandrice says: Jun 3, 2014 11:09 AM

It was so funny we forgot to laugh

12. richmondbolt says: Jun 3, 2014 11:34 AM

It’s too stupid to not take seriously.

13. r8rsfan says: Jun 3, 2014 11:36 AM

That’s a pretty skinny arm in the pic – makes me think it was really true after all.

14. t500000t says: Jun 3, 2014 11:36 AM

Whitehurst isn’t a starter, knows he’s not a starter and knows he never will be a starter. He was a backup that never complained about his position with the Chargers. It worked for him and the Chargers because Rivers NEVER missed a start.

Because of Locker’s durability issues, Whitehurst was the worst possible choice for a backup. We should be laughing at the Titans and Wisenhunt, not Clipboard Jesus.

15. gergie1957 says: Jun 3, 2014 11:44 AM

What’s the big deal, it was a joke, get over it. On a side note send me you addresses, I’ll arm wrestle the bunch of you.

16. scyankee64 says: Jun 3, 2014 12:06 PM

As long as he doesn’t arm wrestle with his left arm, he’ll be fine. Wouldn’t want him to not be able to hold his clipboard.

17. floriosbigtoe says: Jun 3, 2014 12:12 PM

Anybody who’s seen Chalie’s “armstrength” believed the story. I would’ve believed it if he said it was the punter’s wife.

18. clashpoint says: Jun 3, 2014 12:16 PM

Oh, it just sounds like one of those off hand comments we all make at times – except people take things like Instagram, Twitter and Facebook way wayyy too seriously. I’m sure it sounded funny when he wrote it but too many people get butthurt far too easily these days.

19. lukedunphysscienceproject says: Jun 3, 2014 12:24 PM

“And wake up Charlie, either you are lying to get people to not worry about how you are risking your arm or your lost pride, or you don’t realize that some fans take this game very seriously and they don’t like pretend stuff.”

Actually, it the people who take the game so seriously that they would get offended by “pretend stuff” like this who should probably wake up and realize that football is a game and nothing that happens in the NFL is going to change their lives.

20. chut26 says: Jun 3, 2014 12:47 PM

“Dude you’re a backup worried about a jersey number? Get real!”

-Mike Vick

21. harveyredman says: Jun 3, 2014 2:16 PM

…”but that it would have been “fairly irresponsible” for a quarterback to engage in an arm wrestling bout”

You ain’t a NFL QB dude. We all saw that when you actually tried to play in Seattle. You are a clipboard holder who runs a scout team Tuesday to Friday.

Luckiest SoB in sports, imo

22. ricktractorbolturd says: Jun 3, 2014 3:22 PM

I know the ladies like a kicker with a big leg, but Kern is one of the most accurate punters in the league. So if he doesn’t want to change his number, end of story. Last thing Titans need is to go back to the days of bad punters aka Hentrichs.