Cris Carter: Josh Gordon has to want to get clean first

Cris Carter AP

Cris Carter knows all about squandering talent on drugs and alcohol.

Now he’s hoping he can help Josh Gordon turn things around as well as he did. But he made it clear that Gordon has to want that first.

The Hall of Fame wide receiver said it’s clear the expected-to-be-suspended Browns wideout hasn’t yet made getting clean a priority.

“It’s fairly obvious that [using substances] is more important to him than anything else,” Carter told Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. “It’s always been very, very important to him. It’s well-documented that it’s been primary since early college. Maybe it even goes back to early high school. . . .

“If the building is on fire and the person decides to stay in there, I don’t run in there and get him out. If you see them breaking the glass, if you see them struggling and trying to get out — that’s my analogy of how I help out the guys in the league and the kids that really, really need help.”

Carter bottomed out after being cut by Buddy Ryan and the Eagles, and went onto a long and stellar career with the Vikings. And while he said he thought Gordon had the “potential to wear a gold jacket,” he wasn’t sure that would happen.

In the past, Gordon has attended Larry Fitzgerald’s summer camp in Minnesota, which includes Carter, Michael Irvin and others. But Carter doesn’t know if he’ll see Gordon there this year.

“And I haven’t thought a second about it,” Carter said. “Josh is not my responsibility. Not everyone is in a position to be saved.”

The help is obviously available to him if he wants it, but Carter sounds skeptical that Gordon is going to take the steps neceesary.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
26 Responses to “Cris Carter: Josh Gordon has to want to get clean first”
  1. mustangbryk says: Jun 3, 2014 8:02 AM

Gordon will never play again in the NFL. Sad that one of the league’s best talents will never see a touch down or ESPN highlight real.The guy wasted all the talent and millions of dollars on the HIGH life.

2. The Almighty Cabbage says: Jun 3, 2014 8:11 AM

Cris Carter is smarter than I thought. The burning building analogy is spot on.

3. barkymingo says: Jun 3, 2014 8:13 AM

Josh, pick up the phone and call CC. Everybody with a few bucks in his pocket can smoke weed. You have the chance to be a HOF receiver and go down as an all time great. If you can get clean, it could be one of the greatest turn around stories in NFL history. Unfortunately, like CC said, you have to want to first and it seems you’re more interested in driving fast cars and getting high than getting paid millions to play a game that all of us on this site would absolutely dream of playing.

4. buzzardpointlookout says: Jun 3, 2014 8:13 AM

Charles Rogers 2.0 unless he gets his act together. Too bad. This kid is really good at football.

5. 52lightsxout52 says: Jun 3, 2014 8:20 AM

He’s right. Gordon has to want it, and for that to happen he has to hit rock bottom first.

6. 49erfan44 says: Jun 3, 2014 8:21 AM

Josh Gordon is way better than Charles Rogers ever was.

7. itsunclepauley says: Jun 3, 2014 8:31 AM

Carter can be such a tool sometimes, but he’s spot on about this one.

When he talks football it goes in one ear and out the other for me, but if he’s going to talk about what it takes to come back from drug addiction….I’m listening.

8. robuff716 says: Jun 3, 2014 8:32 AM

And some people want to legalize that crap….I don’t think so!!

9. mustbechris says: Jun 3, 2014 8:35 AM

Cris Carter wanted it so much that he’s trying to revise history now about being cut way back then. Glad he’s been clean for so long now, but he’s a straight up liar and it invalidates everything he says about everything for me.

10. godofwine330 says: Jun 3, 2014 8:53 AM

@ CC “If the building is on fire and the person decides to stay in there, I don’t run in there and get him out. If you see them breaking the glass, if you see them struggling and trying to get out — that’s my analogy of how I help out the guys in the league and the kids that really, really need help.”

Very well put, CC. Great analogy. As a Browns fan I hope he gets it. He has more talent ahan any Browns receiver since Paul Warfield, but has the attitude that many in his generation have toward the future and that is sad. He’s got to want it, and I am not sure he does

11. radiofriendly420 says: Jun 3, 2014 8:55 AM

If he would have never been caught he would have continued to light up the NFL. He would have done some kids charity football thing and would have been called a role model.

Guy gets caught with a little pot and now he’s a total outcast.

Charles Rogers was addicted to cocaine and alcohol. THAT was his problem. So, to call Josh Gordon Charles Rogers 2.0 is just ignorant. As most anti-marijuana statements usually are. (Period)

12. ytownjoe says: Jun 3, 2014 8:57 AM

Maybe Gordon sees the light when he’s broke?

$5 million down the toilet for smoking weed. Stupid, really stupid.

13. checkitd0wn says: Jun 3, 2014 9:07 AM

Mr. Gordon should do whatever he wants. It doesn’t matter to me. It’s marijuana it has no negative effect what so ever. America is slowly realizing it and so will the NFL. Cris Carter needs to get a life. Maybe he doesn’t want to be saved by sanctimonious creep.

14. bleedorange59 says: Jun 3, 2014 9:17 AM

It is NOT known whether Gordon tested dirty or missed a test, which is considered failing. Seems that with today’s privacy laws, it should be a bigger concern that an ESPN reporter could find out that Josh failed a test in the first place. I’ll reserve my thoughts and opinions on the matter until the facts of the matter are made public . . . if they ever are.

15. easydog100 says: Jun 3, 2014 9:54 AM

Drugs are the scourge of society. We can make all the excuses for marijuana we want … but the bottom line is, is it better to use it or not? Our society is creeping ever closer to legalizing it nationally. As a life-long fan of football and the Browns, I am saddened by this obvious dependency. He could be an outstanding player but I fear his choices will prevent that.

16. sean222 says: Jun 3, 2014 10:09 AM

It is true that no reports have come out whether a substance has been abused or a test was missed. Remember his first issue was Dr prescribed cough medicine. The fact here is that his friends don’t respect him enough to not carry weed or smoke it near him. It is like taking an alcoholic from bar to bar, either you’re selfish or you want them to fail.

17. trumb1mj says: Jun 3, 2014 10:17 AM

Sorry CC but there is a big difference between blow and pot.

18. sfm073 says: Jun 3, 2014 10:31 AM

Is this really all for weed? How can someone not stop smoking weed in order to keep a job that pays him millions? I’m for legalization but I don’t feel sorry for pathetic people like this.

19. mightbegoingtohellforthis says: Jun 3, 2014 11:15 AM

Rodger Goodell suffers from Reefer madness. The NFL’s policy in regard to Marijuana is outdated and ignorant.

20. coachbeck says: Jun 3, 2014 11:48 AM

Browns drafted him knowing he had a drug problem. He has had multiple run ins while a brown. The browns don’t care about helping him. If they did they would have. Gordon doesn’t care and the browns see this as well. They are just using him up until he gets suspended. I’m the end Gordon did this to himself. We are all responsible for our own actions.

Having a “little” pot on him. Doesn’t matter. What matters is that he knows he can’t have that around him yet he doesn’t care. I am struggling to believe that the browns or the league hasn’t made it clear to him what can happen if he violates.

Yeah he is a great player and would get a lot of TD’s but he can’t stay clean. So he will be that sad story for what could have been.

But remember the browns drafted him knowing all this

21. jcbrewing says: Jun 3, 2014 11:54 AM

Would it be all that terrible if the NFL just took marijuana off the banned substance list? Cigarettes and alcohol kill. Heck, texting while driving and speeding are far far worse and dangerous activities.

22. tootitan says: Jun 3, 2014 1:01 PM

Carter then adjusted his crown of thorns and went on to say “And no one cometh to the father but by me. Hey fellas, did I ever show you these nail scars in my hands and feet?”

With an ego bigger than the national debt and a need for attention that makes Miley Cyrus look like a piker, Carter seems to have forgotten the ‘humble’ lessons he learned back in the day. He’s all-knowing. Just ask him!

23. simonator917 says: Jun 3, 2014 4:36 PM

I hate it when Cris Carter is right.

24. bobnelsonjr says: Jun 3, 2014 5:05 PM

Nobody knows more about drug addiction, the lies and rationalization, the downward spiral of a career, and why we must win this war on drugs.

You cannot save addicts like Josh Gordon by making the evil scourge of marijuana legal.

It is your duty to report all marijuana users to law enforcement.
    Together, we can win this war on drugs – Just say no.

25. crownofthehelmet says: Jun 3, 2014 8:37 PM

Can we please stop saying “can’t stay clean”. It’s pot for goodness sakes.

26. Savage Lizard says: Jun 4, 2014 3:39 AM

Whether the policy should or shouldn’t be changed isn’t the issue here. Gordon KNEW what he was doing was against current league policy. He KNEW what was going to happen if he got caught violating that policy. He CHOSE to do it anyway. I have ZERO sympathy for Gordon, he’s clearly more worried about getting high than he is about playing in the NFL.