Dan Marino: I didn’t realize I’d be listed as a concussion plaintiff

nfl_g_marino11_300 Getty Images

Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Marino says that he has taken steps to ensure that his family is cared for in the event that he ever suffers from symptoms of brain damage, he did not intend to become a plaintiff in the lawsuit against the NFL.

Marino, who joined the concussion lawsuit yesterday only to withdraw today, issued a statement saying that it wasn’t his intention to become a plaintiff in the suit.

“Within the last year I authorized a claim to be filed on my behalf just in case I needed future medical coverage to protect me and my family in the event I later suffered from effects of head trauma,” Marino said, via Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald. “In so doing I did not realize I would be automatically listed as a plaintiff in a lawsuit against the NFL. I have made the decision it is not necessary for me to be part of any claims or this lawsuit and therefore I am withdrawing as a plaintiff effective immediately. I am sympathetic to other players who are seeking relief who may have suffered head injuries.”

Peter King of TheMMQB.com reports that Marino is not currently suffering from any head-trauma issues and is currently negotiating for a position working with the Dolphins, as well as for a role with the AARP.

Marino did suffer concussions on the football field, and he wants to be able to get compensation if he ever feels symptoms of brain damage. But at the moment, he says he doesn’t need and isn’t asking for any damages from the NFL.

Permalink 69 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
69 Responses to “Dan Marino: I didn’t realize I’d be listed as a concussion plaintiff”
  1. qdog112 says: Jun 3, 2014 6:40 PM

Didn’t expect the backlash. Noway they attached his name without his consent.

2. iceicebaby32 says: Jun 3, 2014 6:42 PM

lol. Yeah uh Dan, if you didn’t realize you would be, it’s best you put your name back on that lawsuit.

3. GenXJay says: Jun 3, 2014 6:44 PM

when laces out DAN says “family,” does he mean his out of wedlock kid(s).

4. sammadison says: Jun 3, 2014 6:45 PM

This whole thing is one big mess. Once his name was out there he probably should have just stuck withit. Backtracking only makes both sides dislike you.

5. djaehne says: Jun 3, 2014 6:46 PM

Nobody on the planet believes this Dan.

6. briang123 says: Jun 3, 2014 6:46 PM

Was this before or even he got vilified in public opinion?

7. thestrategyexpert says: Jun 3, 2014 6:47 PM

I figured it was a simple misunderstanding, no problem here then.

8. Gordon says: Jun 3, 2014 6:48 PM

I actually believe his excuse. I really don’t think he understood the way this worked.

Let’s be honest, he isn’t the sharpest tool in the shed. Brilliant football player, but if you listen to him speak, it’s obvious that he’s not winning any Mensa awards.

9. adoombray says: Jun 3, 2014 6:49 PM

He listed his name as President of the Dolphins and then backed out when he realized he’d have to actually work too.

10. stealthjunk says: Jun 3, 2014 6:49 PM

Maybe it’s the lawyer in me, but does “within the last year” mean a 364 days ago or yesterday? Quite misleading.

11. nfl4days says: Jun 3, 2014 6:49 PM

Sure, Dan. Sure.

12. honkerdawg says: Jun 3, 2014 6:52 PM

What an idiot. No wonder he was fired!

13. imnotsorryisaidthat says: Jun 3, 2014 6:53 PM

Open mouth Dan and remove foot

14. loubearkane says: Jun 3, 2014 6:54 PM

Should of just came out and said he joined hoping his name recognition would help the players in need.

15. wickedmainah says: Jun 3, 2014 6:57 PM

THis headline should read:

Dan Marino: I Totally Forgot I’d be listed as a concussion plaintiff

16. loubearkane says: Jun 3, 2014 7:01 PM

stealthjunk says:
    Jun 3, 2014 6:49 PM
    Maybe it’s the lawyer in me, but does

LOLZ T.M.I.

17. penvik says: Jun 3, 2014 7:02 PM

So, he still wants to claim damages if he has problems down the road. Might as well just sue now, no difference. At some point he will combine some effect of aging with football and want to be paid for it.
    Nobody should be receiving any type of compensation, besides maybe just help with health care if your bankrupt. But if you have made millions, no soup for you!!

18. uglydingo says: Jun 3, 2014 7:02 PM

Dan should have sought legal advice before signing the document. I don’t know what he’s worth but somewhere along the way he would have used an attorney.
    He’s probably being honest but it also shows his naivity. One of the greatest players of all time is probably embarrassed by this, but he needs to put it behind him.

19. allhailkingflacco says: Jun 3, 2014 7:03 PM

So if he doesn’t get the new FO gig, I wonder if his name mysteriously reappears in the suit ?

20. rufustfirefly1303 says: Jun 3, 2014 7:10 PM

so, should I sue the cigarette company now? just in case I get lung cancer in 20 years?

21. vanmorrissey says: Jun 3, 2014 7:10 PM

Should have kept his name on it since he’s already proved he’s had too many hits in the head by the silly excuse he came up with. Either that or he’s just naturally a knucklehead.

22. rayala3 says: Jun 3, 2014 7:12 PM

Kinda tough to get an NFL job when you’re suing them Dan.

23. mrnick66 says: Jun 3, 2014 7:15 PM

“I did not know I would be listed in the concussion lawsuit because as you know I have had like a million concussions” signed dan

24. syrnyg says: Jun 3, 2014 7:16 PM

Dan Marino has taken steps by signing up for Obamacare. He doesn’t need to sue anymore his head is covered:0)

25. dennis2488 says: Jun 3, 2014 7:17 PM

hard to believe this is the same guy who only achieved a 15 on his wonderlic test.

26. thegreatgabbert says: Jun 3, 2014 7:20 PM

After consulting with several public relations firms about his principles, Dan decided they just weren’t worth the grief.

27. mrlaloosh says: Jun 3, 2014 7:21 PM

Stupid is as stupid does…..

28. 34defense2014 says: Jun 3, 2014 7:21 PM

Lol unreal!! So he says he didn’t realize?? I’m innocent until proven guilty type of guy!! Which makes it more bothersome that as a American he would drop the Lawsuit !!! If he does in fact suffer from head trauma and he’s dropping the Lawsuit because of being blackballed from the NFL? Shame on him!! Are we still living in the 1950’s? I know he was let go from TV!! You would think in today’s day and age that one could file a Lawsuit regardless if you get paid from the NFL or any other Sports affiliated show or program!! That would influence his decision ether way!!! If that’s the case?? And I said I always give people there Due Process!! If at the end of it all. when the dust has faded and years have gone by!! That we should found out the reason he dropped his Suet is because of fear of not having a Career in the Sports World!!! Shame on you Dan Marino and shame on the NFL and shame on America!!!! Does anyone other then myself find it odd that not one ex-player that is employed by the NFL, ESPN, WFAN Radio or any other Sportscasting outlet are not involved in the Lawsuit!! Boomer, Young, Banks, Johnson the list goes on and on!! Odd??? Very odd

29. db3300 says: Jun 3, 2014 7:23 PM

He would have known all this had he not blacked-out in the middle of the conversation with his lawyer.

30. stealthscorpio says: Jun 3, 2014 7:24 PM

I live in SoFlo and I think it is hysterical the media thinks Marino can be like John Elway in the front office…Danny’s not the brightest bulb on the tree…maybe Greg Cote of the Miami Herald should see if he can join the lawsuit…he obviously got hit in the head too hard somewhere along the line…can I get a hallelujah (inside joke)!

31. silverhornet says: Jun 3, 2014 7:32 PM

Perfect for the current Dolphins front office, especially Stephen Ross. Ross will probably hire him and give him a raise retroactive for clearing up the issue so quickly. Sad but true.

32. infectorman says: Jun 3, 2014 7:41 PM

he works for a network that has a multibillion dollar deal with the NFL. Yeah, me thinks he knows where HIS bread is buttered.

So I guess he won’t be pursuing the Law Degree anytime soon. Dope

33. qdog112 says: Jun 3, 2014 7:48 PM

dennis2488 says:
    Jun 3, 2014 7:17 PM
    *****************
    When will you learn that the Wonderlic has ZERO to do with playing football? It keeps a company employed by the NFL and makes for irrelevant conversation so people like can make fun of those that don’t score well, but there is no study that shows any relationship with NFL success.

Kinda like a basement scrabble player with his SAT score posted on the wall for all to see. Probably the last thing he did well.

34. 34defense2014 says: Jun 3, 2014 7:57 PM

Well said qdog112 well said lol

35. htown995 says: Jun 3, 2014 8:03 PM

We got us a flip flopper he might as well sue the nfl and then take the money and go buy a super bowl ring you bum

36. mansers says: Jun 3, 2014 8:04 PM

DUH, WONDERLIC SCORE WAS WHAT???, AND WONDER WHY HE NEVER WON A SUPERBOWL, AND ONLY WENT THERE ONCE

37. craigkintexas says: Jun 3, 2014 8:09 PM

Sure seems like Dan took one too many hits to the head.

38. orivar says: Jun 3, 2014 8:14 PM

Well there goes that trump card. A good villain doesn’t use the same move twice Marino, look what happened to the Death Star V2.

39. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Jun 3, 2014 8:15 PM

Dan’s wonderlic score was so low coming into the league, it may be difficult to prove the NFL caused brain damage.

40. vegasgreek says: Jun 3, 2014 8:15 PM

He got those bad concussions from getting a beating from the Raiders .Mike Haynes picked him off for a 97 yard td . I was there on the Raiders side line . Marcus Allen ran for 153 yds in that game and the Raiders won .

41. briscocountyjr says: Jun 3, 2014 8:16 PM

America has taxes to help pay for these things, so we should make sure there are financial options to take care of our athletes and their families, for crying out loud.

42. 700levelvet says: Jun 3, 2014 8:17 PM

Vince young nailed his wonderlic

43. thraiderskin says: Jun 3, 2014 8:21 PM

I believe him… he has never given me a reason not to.

44. vegasgreek says: Jun 3, 2014 8:23 PM

when ur talking Dolphins your talking toilet bowl . when is the last time they Won an SB? back in the 1970’s ?

45. jimjets says: Jun 3, 2014 8:24 PM

I agreed to something but didn’t know I did . Dan like ball. Dan throw ball. Dan talk about others who like ball

46. natijim235 says: Jun 3, 2014 8:26 PM

yeah right – didn’t know he was going to get paid for the weight loss commercials either

47. nite2al says: Jun 3, 2014 8:30 PM

Seems Dan is the perfect candidate for a plaintiff.

48. justintuckrule says: Jun 3, 2014 8:40 PM

It happens more often than you would think (people mistakenly getting named as parties to a lawsuit). No big deal. No malpractice. No ethical violation. Chill people.

49. FreewayJim says: Jun 3, 2014 9:13 PM

If I recall, Dan’s wonderlic score was nothing to brag about, it’s now been confirmed.

50. thegreatgabbert says: Jun 3, 2014 9:33 PM

It’s going on your epitaph, Dano.

“Here Lies A Concussion Plaintiff.

Do not make loud noises, sudden movements, or ask difficult questions.”.

51. cartire says: Jun 3, 2014 10:01 PM

So doesnt want to sue, just wants to reap the benefits of those who did.

Got it.

52. VenerableAxiom says: Jun 3, 2014 10:19 PM

And still one of the greatest QB’s ever to play the game.

53. wisconsinhillfolk says: Jun 3, 2014 10:31 PM

Dan sounds like a hall of fame turd.

54. buttfumbles says: Jun 3, 2014 11:04 PM

—————-

Yeah all the time. In fact, I was named in three lawsuits last week.

55. crowdedtrophycase says: Jun 3, 2014 11:26 PM

I always thought he was a little “foggy” when trying to blurt out his second-rate analysis on Sunday TV . Maybe there is something to this…

56. mansers says: Jun 3, 2014 11:31 PM

THERE IS A TERM USED IN PITTSBURGH FOR PEOPLE LIKE MARINO, IT’S NOT DIRTY, BUT HE IS A “JAG OFF”, LOOK IT UP

57. jchipwood says: Jun 3, 2014 11:34 PM

Marino + billicheats tapes = 8 super bowl victories. Not a sorry 3.

58. packinggreens says: Jun 3, 2014 11:45 PM

Classic strong arm situation

59. campcouch says: Jun 3, 2014 11:50 PM

I’m no Dolphins fan,but Dan Marino was the man in Tecmo Bowl,so he’s A-OK in my book. For someone you guys think is dumb,he’s done pretty well for himself. He said he put in a medical claim to cover any future issues. The lawsuit now is looking to compensate former players who are at a stage where the injuries are causing a severe disability. It’s fair to reason that his intent was a separate claim for coverage in the future not realizing that the NFL automatically lumps all head trauma cases into the lawsuit.

60. codiablo says: Jun 4, 2014 6:40 AM

Someone squeezed the Charmin – but he stopped; is ok, he was wearing isotoners!

61. 1952vikefan says: Jun 4, 2014 7:38 AM

too many hits to the head

62. jakescott13 says: Jun 4, 2014 7:40 AM

Bill Clinton: I didn’t inhale.

63. phinfan says: Jun 4, 2014 7:55 AM

Marino never was good at the qb sneak

64. ducksk says: Jun 4, 2014 8:24 AM

Liar liar pants on fire

65. opneon says: Jun 4, 2014 9:16 AM

I agree. He was just trying to cover himself in the future by putting his name in now. That doesn’t mean he knew he would be on the front line (and front page) as an active participant. So, he doesn’t want to pursue a suit against the NFL at this point.
    And that’s his prerogative.

66. johnqlunchbox says: Jun 4, 2014 9:34 AM

He was a great quarterback, but he’s obviously even dumber than he looks and sounds.

67. guadalahonky says: Jun 4, 2014 10:24 AM

Judging by his actions in this case, and his stupefying acumen as an NFL analyst, it is painfully obvious Dan Marino has brain damage.

68. ohioraider22 says: Jun 4, 2014 12:02 PM

Must have hit his head this morning.

69. pillowporkers says: Jun 4, 2014 12:15 PM

I didn’t realize having an affair could result in accident children.