Matt Hasselbeck compares Trent Richardson to 2010 Marshawn Lynch

Jacksonville Jaguars v Indianapolis Colts Getty Images

Trent Richardson’s first season in Indianapolis was largely a disaster.

Richardson struggled to adapt to the Colts offense after being traded by the Cleveland Browns in September. He rushed for just 458 yards and three touchdowns in 14 games with Indianapolis. He averaged just 2.9 yards per carry on 157 attempts.

However, Colts backup quarterback Matt Hasselbeck still has hope for Richardson’s future in Indianapolis.

Hasselbeck was with the Seattle Seahawks in 2010 when they made a similar in-season trade to acquire Marshawn Lynch from the Buffalo Bills.

Lynch struggled to adapt quickly to Seattle’s blocking scheme. Lynch frequently was running into his own blockers and getting stopped at the line of scrimmage despite his hard-nosed running style. Lynch eventually began to learn the running scheme as time elapsed and the line blocked more adequately in front of him.

Hasselbeck believes Richardson could see a similar shift in his success with the Colts.

Marshawn’s numbers weren’t spectacular either,” Hasselbeck said, via Craig Kelley of the Colts’ team website. “Everyone in the locker room understood he was doing the best he could and was working really hard. It’s very similar to Trent.”

“He came in in tough circumstances. We say these OTAs matter and training camp matters and preseason matters. To put unrealistic expectations on him after he missed all that with us (was unfortunate). I would definitely expect his numbers to look better this year.”

Lynch ran for just 573 yards and six touchdowns in 12 games and averaged just 3.5 yards per carry with Seattle that first season. However, Lynch did put together a memorable postseason moment with his romp through the New Orleans Saints defense in Seattle’s upset victory in the first round of the playoffs.

Lynch’s numbers jumped the following year to 1,204 yards, 12 touchdowns and a 4.2 average per carry.

Richardson feels more comfortable in the offense already this offseason. Maybe he can see a similar jump in his second season in Indianapolis and live up to his status as a former Top 5 draft pick.

“When I had to step in and start when Ahmad (Bradshaw) went down, it was hard,” Richardson said. “I didn’t have the chance to learn ‘Why are we doing this? What am I looking at this linebacker, or that linebacker on the backside?’ I just had to know where I was running. I didn’t know the full reasons. With the timing, it’s way easier now.”

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill
16 Responses to “Matt Hasselbeck compares Trent Richardson to 2010 Marshawn Lynch”
  1. barneyrumble says: Jun 3, 2014 11:45 PM

I hope TR is on his way to turning into Beast Mode, that would work!!

2. pacoltsguy says: Jun 4, 2014 1:02 AM

It’s good to hear this from Hasselbeck. Richardson clearly did not live up to expectations for the Colts last year–but in the back of my mind I keep thinking that this scenario needs more time to play out.

Richardson was clearly outstanding in H.S. to get his opportunity at Alabama. His performance at Alabama was so impressive that Cleveland took him in the first round.

I could be absolutely wrong about this, but I believe the talent is there. It is up to Richardson to prove that he is not the “Bust” that so many arm chair GMs have declared him to be.

Richardson’s future in the NFL is in his hands this season. Based on his pre-NFL success, I believe in his ability to turn his struggles around and become an asset to the Colt’s offense.

3. vancouversportsbro says: Jun 4, 2014 1:10 AM

I disagree.

4. narlo00 says: Jun 4, 2014 1:25 AM

Drafted this clown in like the 2nd round of my draft.. Broke me this year..

5. juliusanonymous says: Jun 4, 2014 1:46 AM

Hass, you know I love you man. Like undying eternal love and respect. But you gotta get off that glue, my man.

Beast Mode was getting hit behind the line, but he was still breaking 3-4 tackles before he’d go down. Richardson is not that kind of runner.

6. xplicitpits says: Jun 4, 2014 1:48 AM

I think back then Seattle’s O line wasn’t very good. Little to do with Lynch. Good luck Trent! Still one of my favorite players to watch!

7. jakezog3rd says: Jun 4, 2014 2:34 AM

As a FF player who drafted Trent #1 overall a few years ago in a dynasty league, I would love for him to evan come close to the “BEAST”!

8. andrewluck12 says: Jun 4, 2014 2:40 AM

Trent will beast out this year.

9. napalmfingers says: Jun 4, 2014 5:15 AM

I can see the comparison that Hasselbeck was trying to make, but Lynch still averaged more than a half yard per run over Richardson in the seasons they’re comparing. It may not sound like it, but that’s a HUGE difference.

You also can’t ignore that Lynch had 3-1/4 seasons in Buffalo where he averaged over 4 yards per carry for all but one (3.8 in 2009). There was already evidence that Lynch could produce at the NFL level before he was traded; you definitely can’t say the same about Richardson.

10. clownsfan says: Jun 4, 2014 5:33 AM

Kid flat out sux.

11. brasho says: Jun 4, 2014 5:52 AM

Actually, Lynch’s biggest issue when he was with the Bills was that he constantly tried to bounce everything outside. He did not have nearly the same running style that he is known for now. I think he just grew up a little, matured, and toughened up.

12. rukkus1 says: Jun 4, 2014 6:42 AM

Lynch had a horrible line that year, and he had horrible questions play as well. Matt played pretty bad his last couple years in Seattle.

13. floratiotime says: Jun 4, 2014 7:46 AM

Except Lynch gains yards. Outside of that they’re exactly the same.

14. cloesch81 says: Jun 4, 2014 8:53 AM

It’s just not going to happen. I mean the guy is garbage. He just doesn’t see the field and you can’t teach that. Good luck and go Browns

15. bornahawker says: Jun 4, 2014 9:05 AM

Not even close

16. rekroot says: Jun 4, 2014 11:42 AM

By letting go of Donald Brown, Trent’s confidence will soar. He no longer will feel the need to compare himself to others, has the support of the organization, and the space to grow into the best running back drafted since Adrian Peterson. Book it!