Matt Stafford not worried about Mike Ditka’s hat preference

Matthew Stafford AP

Mike Ditka would be happy to know that when he and Matthew Stafford showed up at the same golf tournament together, Stafford’s hat was properly turned forward.

The Lions quarterback was able to laugh about one of the silliest flaps of last season, when Ditka criticized him for wearing his hat backward.

“I’ll bust his [chops] a little bit,” Stafford said, via Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press. “No point [talking to Ditka about it], I don’t think. I don’t really pay attention to it.”

Ditka made it clear he respected Stafford’s game, but didn’t back off his old school approach to wearing an officially licensed billboard on the top of a highly televised head.

“Great talent,” Ditka said. “Love him. I love the things he does. He’s smart, he knows what he’s doing with the ball, he’s capable of getting it out in a hurry and he does a lot of good things. And he’s a hell of a football player, don’t get me wrong. Somebody asked me my opinion, and my opinion is put the hat on straight, that’s all.”

Ditka then asked a group of neighborhood kids to get off his lawn.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, Rumor Mill
35 Responses to “Matt Stafford not worried about Mike Ditka’s hat preference”
  1. jgedgar70 says: Jun 3, 2014 8:29 AM

I personally don’t see the point of wearing a ballcap backward, but that’s because I am light-sensitive and need the bill of the cap to help shade my eyes. Somebody else wants to wear theirs backward, fine for them. I never understood why this upsets so many people. It’s a hat, not a completion percentage…

2. antalicus says: Jun 3, 2014 8:39 AM

Wearing your hat backwards is not as bad as wearing a visor in doors like some coaches do…

3. lionswinsuperbowl says: Jun 3, 2014 8:43 AM

Ditka we get it. You want to become a Detroit fan.

4. godofwine330 says: Jun 3, 2014 8:45 AM

Ditka is an old fuddy duddy when it comes to things like this. He had no issue when McMahon wore sunglasses everywhere, why would he have an issue with a hat.

I don’t have an issue with a backwards hat and I think Ditka needs to stick to issues on the field that actually affect the game, and a QB or any player’s hat isn’t one of them.

5. ariani1985 says: Jun 3, 2014 8:48 AM

You should be makes you look like a putz!

6. timmmah10 says: Jun 3, 2014 8:51 AM

I respect Stafford’s hat wearing skills more than his quarterbacking skills.

You have all the talent in the world surrounding you Matthew, time to put up or shut up.

(Clearly a bitter Lion fan here… I’m sick of him sailing balls over open receiver’s 7 foot tall heads.)

7. harveyredman says: Jun 3, 2014 8:58 AM

Seriously?!

YOU MUST CONFORM! YOU MUST CONFORM!!

Who di.ed and made Ditka the hat guru?

8. jimmyt says: Jun 3, 2014 9:09 AM

I have no issue with how someone wears a ball cap. I’ve never worn one – they do cause balding. Having said that the backwards cap looks stupid.

9. thetruthcampaign says: Jun 3, 2014 9:10 AM

Ditka should wear his frown backwards.

10. loubearkane says: Jun 3, 2014 9:12 AM

QB = Face of franchise , what you’re selling to every fan , corporate sponsor etc.

Peyton Manning, Cam Newton , Drew Brees – go to press conference’s , events in sharp suits and look like CEO’s.

Stafford , Kaepernick – Look like frat boys

It’s a game so it shouldn’t matter but when you get a $100+ million dollar contract you should look the part.

11. source7769 says: Jun 3, 2014 9:13 AM

jim mcmahon poked his eye with a fork at the age of six they saved his vision but his eye was extremely sensitive to light thats why he wore sunglasses

12. r8rsfan says: Jun 3, 2014 9:15 AM

Let’s see – Ditka has won the championship, Stafford hasn’t even sniffed it. I’ll go with Iron Mike on this one.

13. 40for60alldaybaby says: Jun 3, 2014 9:22 AM

Who cares what Ditka thinks? The game’s passed him by as he refuses to open his mind to new concepts & different ways of accomplishing goals.

14. bornahawker says: Jun 3, 2014 9:48 AM

Old man worried about how a young guy acts? What’s new?

15. schmitty2 says: Jun 3, 2014 9:50 AM

“I’ll bust his [chops] a little bit,” Stafford said, via Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press. “No point [talking to Ditka about it], I don’t think. I don’t really pay attention to it.”

Something tells me I don’t think he could bust Ditka’s chops.

16. dwarftosser says: Jun 3, 2014 10:04 AM

I’ll take the backwards hat look over the flat-bill hat look any day.

17. wisconsinhillfolk says: Jun 3, 2014 10:11 AM

Ditka’s pissed.

18. thestrategyexpert says: Jun 3, 2014 10:20 AM

Matt does look much better with his hat on straight. But winning is really all that matters.

19. scoochpooch says: Jun 3, 2014 10:31 AM

Of course Stafford isn’t worried about Ditka’s comments, he’s too concerned with throwing INTs and stealing money from the Lions.

20. bearshaterseverywhere says: Jun 3, 2014 10:34 AM

Why would he care? Opinions are opinions.

Ditka is an old school guy, Stafford is a youngblood.

End of story.

In case you guys forgot Marshall/Jeffery>Calvin and any scrub on your team.

21. flickaboogie says: Jun 3, 2014 10:38 AM

That young Whipper-snapper.

22. starchybunker says: Jun 3, 2014 10:41 AM

Ditka was trying to do him a favor; any guy over the age of 14 or so who wears a backwards cap immediately looks like a tool…

23. hyzers says: Jun 3, 2014 10:43 AM

A backwards hat didn’t stop Stafford from sweeping the Bears last year.

24. whatjusthapped says: Jun 3, 2014 11:08 AM

Stafford is overrated as a Qb so how he wears his hat has more to do with attention seeking than style. He will never garner the national spotlight with his play on the field so looking like an idiot is the next best thing.

25. metrocritical says: Jun 3, 2014 11:10 AM

Unlikely as it may be, I’ll take Stafford wearing a Super Bowl hat, forward, backward or sideway.

26. packfan66 says: Jun 3, 2014 11:14 AM

Ditka is right, you’re not a frat boy anymore, you’re the face of an NFL franchise, grow up and act like it.

27. granadafan says: Jun 3, 2014 11:25 AM

It never ceases to amaze me when you go to outdoor day games. There are lots of guys wearing caps backwards but use their hands to shield the eyes from the sun glare. Facepalm.

Ditka made a great point about leadership. You need to look the part. If you look like a slob then people are generally going to treat you like a slob.

28. Getoffmylawn! says: Jun 3, 2014 11:26 AM

Damn noisy kids. Pull up your pants too while you’re at it.

29. notthetroll says: Jun 3, 2014 11:51 AM

Mix it up Stafford. Sometimes front sometimes back. Every now and then wear it sideways Flav-o-flav style.

30. clashpoint says: Jun 3, 2014 12:24 PM

Are people really being fascist about how you can wear a hat these days? Are you friggin’ kidding me?! I remember when America used to be a free country. Seriously, Stafford can tell Ditka and anyone else sniveling about how he wears a hat to come kiss MY butt.

31. cshearing says: Jun 3, 2014 3:26 PM

What’s hilarious is when you see guys wearing the hat backwards, but then shielding their eyes from the sun with their hand. Always good for a chuckle.

32. isphet71 says: Jun 3, 2014 8:01 PM

Didn’t wash/fix your hair in the morning + not really sunny out = hat on backwards. That’s an easy one.

Now someone logically explain wearing your pants around your ankles (please…)

33. JSpicoli says: Jun 4, 2014 1:14 AM

Its funny because old people often yell at the neighborhood kids to get off their lawn.

Douche

34. oimakkamio says: Jun 6, 2014 5:48 PM

bears still suck

35. twelsh36446 says: Jun 11, 2014 8:03 AM

Ditka must not have known that Stafford was not only a QB, but a catcher in college also. Tell Ditka to put a face mask on sometime with a baseball hat, and maybe he will get my point. I think Ditka took to many hits to the head as a player don’t you?