Charles Woodson thinking about playing beyond this year

Charles Woodson AP

For all the old guys the Raiders signed this offseason, none are older than Charles Woodson.

But the veteran defensive back said he’s not looking at this season as a retirement tour, as he wants to keep playing “this year and beyond.”

“Going off of how I feel health-wise, I’m not looking at this being the last year,” Woodson said, via Scott Bair of CSNBayArea.com. “I’m going to enjoy every moment of this experience because you never know how it’s going to turn out. You look at what they’ve done here and you see the draft they’ve had – we’re going to be a good team. If that means playing this year and beyond, I’ll be open to it.”

Woodson, 37, said he only wanted to play for the Raiders, which limits his future flexibility to the Raiders wanting him around. They waited a week into free agency to do so this year, and he admitted he pondered retirement.

“My heart was set on coming back here,” Woodson said. “If that didn’t happen, I would’ve had to weigh those options, . . . If the Raiders weren’t interested, that could’ve been it.”

If the collection of veteran parts yields a better return, he might get that chance. If not, he might be one of many changes they make in the future.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill
22 Responses to “Charles Woodson thinking about playing beyond this year”
  1. r8rsfan says: Jun 4, 2014 9:09 AM

Woodson is legend. Heart and soul of the franchise.

2. racerx1225 says: Jun 4, 2014 9:10 AM

He made some outstanding plays last year.

3. barsfordays says: Jun 4, 2014 9:13 AM

One of the best ever, hope his legacy doesnt get squashed like Ed Reed’s. 37 years old? Hang em up C-Wood

4. raiderufan says: Jun 4, 2014 9:21 AM

Hang em up? He played all 16 games with 2 sacks, 1 INT, 3 FF, 2 FR and 75 tackles….I’d say he has at least another year in him.

I love that it’s Raiders or bust for him…that mentality will be back full time with some stability in the originazation.

5. scoops1 says: Jun 4, 2014 9:26 AM

Remember that time Chuck invited he and his teammates to the WhiteHouse…..

I do

6. packfanaj12 says: Jun 4, 2014 9:45 AM

I have so much respect for Charles. As a Packers fan, I will always love seeing Charles play… no matter were… unless its the Vikings.

7. humb0lt says: Jun 4, 2014 9:56 AM

With their No. 1 pick last year being a BIP (bust in progress), the Raiders need all the help they can get in the DB.

8. irishinyourface says: Jun 4, 2014 10:03 AM

humb0lt says:
    Jun 4, 2014 9:56 AM

Phyllis Rivers..HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

9. hillshirefarmsgomeat says: Jun 4, 2014 10:08 AM

As a Chiefs fan, I am morally obligated to hate Charles Woodson. As a football fan, how can you not be a Charles Woodson fan? Dude has played 15 years, comes to work and does his job. As far as I know he has not ever been a problem off the field or in the locker room. And I believe that I’ve read in the past how active he is in the community. Class act all the way around and a lock for the HOF in my opinion.

10. djcologne says: Jun 4, 2014 10:08 AM

And the Chargers have won how many Lombardy Trophies?

11. jkindler429 says: Jun 4, 2014 10:22 AM

I wish we, the Packers, still had him better than what we had last year

12. djcologne says: Jun 4, 2014 10:24 AM

It’s refreshing when you have respectful fans who support their team (hillshirefarmsgomeat) vs. TROLLS (humbolt) chiming in. I like the way you articulated yourself as yes, we are morally obligated to hate division rivals! Woodson coming back to the S&B was such an amazing and inspirational reunion and meant more to the org then most would probably know.

13. humb0lt says: Jun 4, 2014 10:50 AM

I forgot how easily Raiders fans get butt hurt if you make a less than sunny observation about their team.

14. tinbender2000 says: Jun 4, 2014 11:37 AM

With the First pick in the 2015 NFL draft, the LA Chargers select….

15. nflfolly says: Jun 4, 2014 11:44 AM

The Reggie McKenzie Trainwreck rolls on.Woodson
    has been talking up Mckenzie hoping he can squeeze
    more money out of the Raider organization for his sub par play lately. The defense got shredded last year partly because of Woodson.

16. raiderapologist says: Jun 4, 2014 11:56 AM

humb0lt says: Jun 4, 2014 9:56 AM

———–
    humb0lt’s regular job of dusting San Diego’s trophy case leaves him plenty of free time for his Raider obsession. Labeling any second year player a bust is just moronic.

17. raiderapologist says: Jun 4, 2014 11:59 AM

humb0lt says: Jun 4, 2014 10:50 AM

——————–
    Observation? You post far more “observations” about the Raiders than you do about the Chargers. Nobody is butt hurt by you. We realize how badly you’re starving for any attention you can get. That just makes you annoying.

18. radrntn says: Jun 4, 2014 1:10 PM

Coach Woodson —–just saying.

Go Raiders….Go C-Wood!

19. sdboltaction says: Jun 4, 2014 2:02 PM

As a Chargers fan I’d totally dig getting a number one pick in LA next year if it meant getting a new owner who will spend the money….

20. jdphx says: Jun 4, 2014 5:41 PM

Tip of the cap to Hillshire…

The moral obligation to “hate” is much less on KC, than it is DEN and SD.

21. mrneto72 says: Jun 5, 2014 12:41 AM

Look how many old guys the Donkeys got….stop hating

22. babygaga19 says: Jun 5, 2014 1:21 AM

I so dig this guys act. Well beyond his prime, looking for another paycheck, and he really, seriously, thinks someday cares? Only in Jokeland!