Blount was surprised by depressed tailback market

Blount AP

Running back LeGarrette Blount made a strong closing argument for free agency, exploding late in the 2013 regular season and postseason with the Patriots.

But then came the open market.  And Blount didn’t find any open wallets.

“I was really surprised by it,” Blount told SiriusXM NFL Radio.  “I didn’t think that the running back market would be so low.  I didn’t think that, you know, the biggest contract would be Toby Gerhart’s $10.5 [million].  I didn’t think that would have been the biggest contract. . . .  I don’t think that his body of work should have made him the highest paid free agent running back this offseason.  We were just trying to get things done, man.  Like y’all said the market wasn’t that great but, you know, I feel like I deserve a lot more credibility in the part of getting contracts done.  But, I mean, that will all settle itself out, so I’m happy where I landed and I’m going to continue to do what I do best and just try to build on my body of work.”

He’ll build on his body of work with a two-year, $3.85 million contract.  It’s still unclear how many opportunities he’ll get to show what he can do, given the presence of second-year tailback Le’Veon Bell.

Last year, the opportunities were few and far between for Blount, who made the most of opportunities that came his way, when they came his way.  He seemed to do the kind of job that would allow him to get more opportunities — and a lot more money.  That didn’t happen.

The way running backs wash out of the league, it may never happen for Blount.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill
35 Responses to “Blount was surprised by depressed tailback market”
  1. aceakking says: Jun 4, 2014 7:18 PM

The Seahawks want their SB40 win back.

2. daburgher says: Jun 4, 2014 7:21 PM

So glad this guy is in the black and yellow. Gonna be a nice 1-2. Ring the Bell, Roll the Blount

3. explosionsauce says: Jun 4, 2014 7:24 PM

Maybe Gerhart got paid because he works hard and doesn’t talk about other people’s contracts.

4. juststeel says: Jun 4, 2014 7:27 PM

Dudes a beast, wouldn’t want to tackle him in the fourth quarter

5. marima07 says: Jun 4, 2014 7:33 PM

or… Blount was depressed by surprising tailback market.

6. nomoreseasontix says: Jun 4, 2014 7:37 PM

I think Blount is kind of a dummy…
    How could he not see the market? Everyone in the country saw it.

Gerhart got paid for upside and low mileage. The days of being paid for what you did last year are pretty much over for running backs.
    The expiration date on a running back is never far in the future… They get beat up.

7. magicmtndan says: Jun 4, 2014 7:37 PM

It figures a ‘hawks fan would still be living in the past and whining that his team got jobbed in SB40.

8. professor177 says: Jun 4, 2014 7:40 PM

I dont have a problem with blount but he sounds like a hater.. He isnt as good a gerhart.. Blounts body of work isnt what he got paid anyway.. He had a bad rep and hes been moved almost every year hes been in the league.. Gerhart was held back by the best rb in the nfl and when he played he played like a beast.. Blount needs some glasses.. He pickd up hatorade instead of gatorade..

9. TheWizard says: Jun 4, 2014 7:41 PM

The last few games of 13 this guy dominated until the Broncos game when the Pats got shut down cold.

Given the right circumstances, he can go on a tear.

10. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Jun 4, 2014 7:56 PM

The NFL has morphed to the point where RBs are just another occasional receiver and pass protector for blitzes.

11. FlashPatterson says: Jun 4, 2014 8:29 PM

Toby is better than you and has more tread left. Plus the pats are the second team to let you walk. The Vikes didn’t want Toby to go.

12. steelers4385 says: Jun 4, 2014 8:32 PM

Id rather have Blount that toby. You have to be a idiot to think otherwise.

13. 4thqtrsaint says: Jun 4, 2014 8:37 PM

Ask your QB why the market is depressed. He won’t be able to answer you with his mouth full of cash.

Not Steeler bashing here. That joke was about QBs taking all the money.

14. thegreatgabbert says: Jun 4, 2014 8:39 PM

These guys probably take the most abuse and have the shortest career expectancy of any position on the field. Doesn’t seem fair, somehow.

15. notthetroll says: Jun 4, 2014 8:44 PM

They asked him, it was a valid question, makes sense to talk to the people that are affected by this. Next time he should forget the honesty part about Toby getting a better deal.

16. bobnelsonjr says: Jun 4, 2014 8:53 PM

Only the vikings overpay for the running back position.

RB’s are a disposable commodity with little value compared to other positions. They are lucky to get a 2nd contract after their rookie deal.

This guy is a hot head and lucky to have a contract with a team like the Steelers. He’d be trouble on a less disciplined team.

He has never learned that he is part of a team and that the team is not his supporting cast.

17. coachbeck says: Jun 4, 2014 8:57 PM

He went to a place where they are gonna force feed Bell to try and validate their draft pick. Even though he has more wear and tear than Blount probably does.

Feel for Blount but talking about another mans money is blasphemy. Not right and he needs to just focus on his own money

18. Nofoolnodrool says: Jun 4, 2014 9:15 PM

I am sure you are basing your force feed issue on years of nfl experience…oh, wait, coach is your posting dream name not something based on experience and knowledge…pretty humorous. Blount is insurance and a compliment to Bell and the Steelers were very smart to get insurance against injuries.

19. campcouch says: Jun 4, 2014 9:21 PM

Or…somebody thought Gerhart was the best available back in the field and they paid him what they felt was good. Either way,Blount is getting paid good money to practice,work out and play a game.

20. pittspuke7 says: Jun 4, 2014 9:29 PM

The steelers have o playoff appearances and o winning seasons since Tebow beat them in the playoffs years ago

21. pittspuke7 says: Jun 4, 2014 9:30 PM

22. j0esixpack says: Jun 4, 2014 10:03 PM

As a Patriots fan, I can understand where Blount is coming from. The dude gave his all last season.

It showed. I was appreciated by the Fandom. And yet he looks around the league and sees other guys at other positions cashing in – in a much bigger way

But the reality is, more and more, teams carry multiple role playing RBs to spread the risk – and to hire two or three quality RBs costs the same as what a featured back used to command.

And the reality is, Blount is a role player. A damn good one too – but that’s only worth so much – even if he does get a ton of respect from the fanbase for how much he contributed.

23. patriotinvasion says: Jun 4, 2014 10:23 PM

Still don’t understand why the Pats let him walk at those numbers. He was a legitimate beast at times last year and a good asset to have in cold, windy games late in the season.

Unfortunately though he’s slow on pitch plays and sometimes goes down way too easily for his size.

24. SAV says: Jun 4, 2014 10:41 PM

If your not a Blount fan, you can’t appreciate hardcore.

25. crownofthehelmet says: Jun 4, 2014 10:58 PM

“Last year, the opportunities were few and far between for Blount, …”

This year will be much the same for him. It’s not that I’m not excited about him being a Steeler, but the way Bell was rolling the back half of last year, he’ll get 90% of the action.

26. bornahawker says: Jun 4, 2014 11:02 PM

I am 45 and growing up in Iowa I was a Walter Payton guy. Chuck Foreman, Franco, then E.D. And Marcus Allen, and of course Sanders. My point is I cannot believe how irrelevant Running Backs became with all the rule changes that aim at tons of points. I will say if you take a look at what my Seahawks did to a so called best ever offense that the running back is far from dead, see Beast Mode. Once the NFL decides to stop trying to be arena football the backs will be relevant again. I will say that great running backs are trying to play other positions at youth level and if you look at Myles Jack at UCLA he is planning on being a LB in the league though he is an excellent RB. I sure hope they fix this issue. I really do not like the CFL……

27. nicofthenorthstar says: Jun 4, 2014 11:49 PM

Funny. He thinks he should get a better contract than Gerhart. That’s cute.

28. slick50ks says: Jun 5, 2014 12:06 AM

Blount was clearly the best FA RB this off-season.

29. rjl1pghfan says: Jun 5, 2014 12:40 AM

Think the role and market for RB’s will eventually increase again. I know this new “pass happy” NFL is more than just a phase, but eventually teams will realize that a strong go-to RB is just as important as many other position with a currently higher premium. Almost all if the past Super Bowl winners have had a franchise work horse RB in the stable. Honestly, I think that’s part of the reason that Manning only has 1 ring. He has never really had a franchise RB in his backfield because all of the $ was dedicated to his weapons in WR’s. Brady hasn’t won since he had Kevin Faulk and Corey Dillon, and think of some of the past great teams with numerous championships. They all had a recognizable back. The league will realize this sooner or later and the RB will once again be a glorious position.

30. Nofoolnodrool says: Jun 5, 2014 7:59 AM

It’s obvious to me he is focusing on his own money, but feels he should have gotten more. See that wasn’t so hard even for a ….hmmm coach?

31. troy43mvp says: Jun 5, 2014 8:29 AM

Truth be told. I expected the RB market to be slower but I didn’t expect it to be “that slow”. I am glad it was though, as Pitt never would have been able to get this guy otherwise. Biggest free agent bust next season? Moreno. Peyton made him better than he was by keeping the defense on their heels.

32. corvetteman6 says: Jun 5, 2014 8:43 AM

Blount is going to destroy the Bengals, Ravens and Browns this year. Anyone with even a hint of football knowledge understands that he is the perfect compliment to Bell’s slashing style of hitting a hole. Blount will just pulverize guys who get in the way. He did not get signed to sit on the bench.
    Wonderful pick up that will wear down defenses. We must have too many new age NFL fans here who don’t know what running the football is all about (oh, with the usual accompanying jealous fans of teams like Baltimore, Cincinnati and LOL, the inane rumblings of Seahawks screwballs).
    Save for not getting more D-Line help, I love what the team did in free agency and look for them to steamroll division rivals this year.

33. jpcrunk says: Jun 6, 2014 8:22 PM

Preach
    Corvette man!

34. jpcrunk says: Jun 6, 2014 8:23 PM

Seahawks wore white in Superbowl

Steelers: respect my gangsta!!

Ps: legion of boom will get there chance thus year vs Steelers and be beaten to death by the run!!

35. asteeler4life says: Jun 13, 2014 6:23 PM

WHEN THE BLACK AND GOLD BROUGHT IN MJD I WAS KINDA SKEPTICAL, I PERSONALLY THOUGHT HE HASD TOO MANY MILES PLAYING AROUND IN JAX.
    THE BLOUNT OBJECT WILL ME MUCH NICER, AND HE’S YOUNGER.
    HE GET IT DONE THIS YEAR, I SAY TACK TWO MORE YEARS ON HIS CONTRACT!