Teammates are making Michael Vick feel old

vick AP

Michael Vick became a household name during his spectacular 1999 season at Virginia Tech. Many of his current Jets teammates were in elementary school at the time. He wishes they’d stop telling him that.

Some of the young guys on the roster have looked up to Vick for years, and so when he addresses them in practice, they often respond with, “Yes, sir” or “No, sir.” Vick, who will turn 34 this month, said he’s trying to correct that.

“That baffled me a little bit,” Vick said, via Bart Hubbuch of the New York Post. “I’m not that old, and I have to reiterate that over and over again. I may be 10 or 12 years their senior, but when you start calling me ‘sir,’ I need to start thinking about retiring.”

When players tell Vick things like how they liked to play as him in video games when they were kids, or how they wore No. 7 in Pop Warner because he wore it with the Falcons, he tries to act like it’s all in good fun.

“We got a good laugh off it,” Vick said. “Seriously, [though], deep down I really didn’t think it was funny.”

As every athlete eventually discovers, it’s not easy getting old.

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
28 Responses to “Teammates are making Michael Vick feel old”
  1. punksinplay says: Jun 5, 2014 9:48 AM

Vick is an old 33.

2. whiteknightblackheart says: Jun 5, 2014 9:49 AM

You can’t have a circus when all of the newly drafted players are so polite to their elders. Loving what Idzik is doing over there.

3. gashmr says: Jun 5, 2014 9:52 AM

31 defensive units in the NFL are going to make Vick feel even older….

4. cursedvikings1998 says: Jun 5, 2014 9:54 AM

He’s actually not that old. He just sucks.

5. valentino8100 says: Jun 5, 2014 9:56 AM

Wonder how that makes all the youngsters feel when “grandpa” smokes them during sprints.

Cue LeSean McCoy

6. coldwater32301 says: Jun 5, 2014 9:57 AM

Mike Vick your just like wine only getting better with age… school those young boys…Indeed…

7. jackdaniels1 says: Jun 5, 2014 9:57 AM

Lighten up Michael

8. chalkruz1989 says: Jun 5, 2014 9:57 AM

I get into trouble with that a lot at my company. Being 25 and working on the same floor as Directors and the CEO, they hate to be called sir.

If I was Vick, I’d rather be called sir than old man or geezer. Sir is a sign of respect where I come from…unless you’re a female.

9. sterling7 says: Jun 5, 2014 9:57 AM

I was 26 years old playing football with friends & relatives preparing them for their high school season. I’ve always looked very young and they thought I was 17 or 18 years old. Once they found out I was 26 they treated me differently, we still had an awful lot of fun but it wasn’t the same. They named me honorary captain of their football team. A 20 year old college player stated who cares how old I am, the way I threw the football he wanted me to try out for his college team. Unfortunately it happens to all of us, it just takes athletes a little longer to sink in. It’s not the end-just a new beginning……………

10. kansacity88 says: Jun 5, 2014 10:04 AM

Okay, ‘yes sir’ and ‘no sir’ are forms of respect. In the south, they always taught the kids to address adults that way, no matter how much older you are. HE should know that. He needs to stop worrying about small stuff and focus on leading those ‘young kids’ on game day…..that is, if he wins the starting job! But even if he doesn’t, still……

11. DaveKShape says: Jun 5, 2014 10:05 AM

Some of my new interns have been “yes sir”ring me and I think it’s awesome. There may be some hope for these youngsters afterall.

12. psj3809 says: Jun 5, 2014 10:06 AM

Another day another comment/quote from Vick. Hes not doing himself any favours, at least hes not moaning about being a backup to Geno Smith.

Just be quiet and try and win the job in camp/preseason.

13. weepingjebus says: Jun 5, 2014 10:22 AM

Eh, I was playing video games of Pacman Jones back in the early 80s.

14. bucsfan21 says: Jun 5, 2014 10:50 AM

I thought Vick turned a corner during his successful year in Phily, but it just didn’t take. Everyone loves a redemption story, so I’m rooting for him in NY, but he’s done if he can’t stay healthy.

15. gbmickey says: Jun 5, 2014 11:26 AM

I don’t believe you should consider retirement because someone calls you sir it should be for your eroding skills, not like he had much to begin with other than the ability to run.

16. taintedsaints2009 says: Jun 5, 2014 11:28 AM

Somehow this is yet another indication that nobody wants to play the jets

17. dhardy8207 says: Jun 5, 2014 11:44 AM

why be offended?? sir and madam are a sign of respect for someone “older”. If you’re playing on a team with kids that are 22-24 years old and you are say “34”, then that makes you “older”.

Kudos to those young men. Far too many youngsters these days are not taught to respect their elders in addressing them in a proper manner.

18. greymares says: Jun 5, 2014 11:55 AM

He is old, but still the best QB on that team.

19. paulz624 says: Jun 5, 2014 12:30 PM

Shady McCoy called him old last year n Vick blew him out in a 40 yard dash. I’d bet he’d do the same to any of those young guys that called him sir.

20. jman2020 says: Jun 5, 2014 1:06 PM

Vick still da truth 🙏

21. RE LEE says: Jun 5, 2014 1:06 PM

It’s good to know that young Jets still has manners. Behave old man and set a good example.

22. richndc says: Jun 5, 2014 2:33 PM

I tell ya what’s gettin old. Waiting for Vick to “shock the whole world” and “prove once and for all he is one of the greatest NFL QBs ever.” Still waiting on that one.

23. jdphx says: Jun 5, 2014 2:42 PM

“As every athlete eventually discovers, it’s not easy getting old”

And not just for athletes….

24. td30 says: Jun 5, 2014 3:21 PM

is it just me, or is vick MISERABLE as a jet? He’s pouting about the qb competition that he says isn’t really a competition, and now his teammates are hurting his feelings

25. jgedgar70 says: Jun 5, 2014 3:56 PM

It happens to everyone. I have nieces and nephews 15 years younger than me talking about what an old fart I am. Doesn’t matter. Tomorrow the sun will come up, right on schedule. Plus, I’ll get to give them some “I told you so” sermons when they make mistakes I have already made when they make them and wonder what’s happening.

So, Michael, you’re not old. You’re seasoned. :-)

26. sylvester000001 says: Jun 6, 2014 2:25 AM

Awwwww

Let’s have a pitty party for him. He’s deserved of it.

27. muencht says: Jun 6, 2014 4:24 PM

So many dog puns! Reminds me of when Vick joined Philly after his prison time “Hide your Beagle, Vick’s an Eagle!” I can’t believe what he did, but everyone deserves a second chance.

As far as his age: age is just a number. If Michael can indeed beat younger men in the 40, then he’s not done yet. I have said many times on PFT regarding Vick: If he can get some protection and not be driven into the ground on every play, meaning he can stay healthy, he can still play.

He may become one of the grand old men of the NFL, along with George Blanda, Warren Moon and Doug Flutie.

28. jetfanfolife says: Jun 14, 2014 6:16 PM

I know Nick Foles made him feel old!
    How was it? Keeping the bench warm for him? LOL