Calvin Pryor turns up the rhetoric

Pryor AP

Some dogs look like their owners, and some players emulate their coaches.  While Rex Ryan of the Jets has adopted a more restrained style in recent years (or at least year), his team’s first-round pick looks like a guy who will be making plenty of noise, like Rex used to.

We don’t like Tom [Brady] at all,” safety Calvin Pryor told SNY, via Dom Cosentino of NJ.com.  “When I first came here, that was one of the first things I heard about:  We hate the Patriots, and we hate the Giants.

“That’s what everybody was telling me.  We hate those guys, and I look forward to playing them this season.”

Pryor added that he has been encouraged by Ryan to make himself heard in order to get opponents “off their game.”  It sounds like Pryor didn’t need an engraved invitation to initiate hostile chatter.

“I am who I am,” Pryor said.  “I’m going to talk trash.  I’m going to be myself.  People who don’t like it are just going to have to get used to it.”

We’d been used to it from Ryan, until he clammed up once he realized that new G.M. John Idzik could eventually decide to hire a new coach.  Apparently, Ryan will be talking vicariously through Pryor for as long as they both are with the team.

Permalink 74 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, New York Giants, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
74 Responses to “Calvin Pryor turns up the rhetoric”
  1. simoneauchristopher5 says: Jun 6, 2014 3:30 PM

Can’t wait to watch him get scorched on a play action fake and burnt for a 70 yd TD in his first game versus New England.

2. kd75 says: Jun 6, 2014 3:30 PM

You only play the Giants in the preseason son…

3. skoobyfl says: Jun 6, 2014 3:30 PM

Culture of failures.

4. thestrategyexpert says: Jun 6, 2014 3:35 PM

I like this idea, sounds like some straight fun plus Pryor has a smoother sounding voice. Let’s hear some more of what these guys honestly feel!

5. nehxas says: Jun 6, 2014 3:36 PM

The Jets and Patriots have one of the best off the field rivalries in the league (Belicheck, Spygate, Curtis Martin and countless other players going back and forth during the offseason) as well as all the banter but Jets need to get good again if it’s going to be taken seriously around the league. Last years two games were a great start with both ending in chaos by a single score with a lot of circumstance involved. Playoff game where they met for a 3rd time was must watch TV a couple years ago.

6. tedmurph says: Jun 6, 2014 3:38 PM

I think Pryor is gonna be a stud and I wish the Pats could have gotten him, but he’s gonna learn a hard lesson Oct 16, one that Ryan apparently hasn’t learned, about trash talking Brady(see Anthony Smith).

7. jimjets says: Jun 6, 2014 3:39 PM

My new favorite jet. Well said son

8. valentino8100 says: Jun 6, 2014 3:39 PM

Will Rex Ryan ever rid himself of his obsession with Brady, BB, and the Patriots in general ?

Unless your name is Bernard Pollard, good luck with intimidating 6’6″, 265 across the middle.

9. doe22us says: Jun 6, 2014 3:43 PM

This guy hasn’t played a down, right?

10. weepingjebus says: Jun 6, 2014 3:45 PM

Remember that game on Thanksgiving when the Jets gave up 3 TDs in about a minute, at home, to the Patriots, after which their highest profile superfan left the stadium at halftime and abandoned his persona in the parking lot? There was also a butt-related play involved, you may have heard of it. I guess what I’m trying to say is: welcome to the first day of the rest of your life.

11. peepeetoucher says: Jun 6, 2014 3:45 PM

Rex toned it down when he realized it put his players in a tough spot and that was way before Idzik was hired. Lets not change history to make a good story.

12. bighat8 says: Jun 6, 2014 3:50 PM

Calvin Who?

13. osnap30 says: Jun 6, 2014 3:54 PM

Do you know how idiotic this sounds you hate somebody because others hate somebody so it’s okay if your surroundings tell you not to like somebody ?? so if my parents told me not to like black people I shouldn’t like black people is what you’re telling me. Your idiot and spineless and a follower you’ll never be a leader in the NFL

14. n0hopeleft says: Jun 6, 2014 3:56 PM

I’d hate the Giants and Pats too if they dominated me and ruined my season one year to the next. Both have been in multiple Superbowls. The Jets are TERRIBLE.

15. my45eagle says: Jun 6, 2014 3:58 PM

It only takes one hit on “6’6 265″…

16. getyourownname says: Jun 6, 2014 4:00 PM

Because Brady is known for being easily thrown off his game by trash talk.

Seriously, have these rookies ever watched an NFL game?

17. jimthebuilder27 says: Jun 6, 2014 4:02 PM

This is why Rex will never win a Super Bowl as head coach, because beating the Patriots is his Super Bowl.

Focus on the big picture, not just beating one team!

18. zeke2517 says: Jun 6, 2014 4:05 PM

Breaking News!

Confident Young Man Uses Words To Form Sentences!

Extra! Extra!

19. mousietongue says: Jun 6, 2014 4:09 PM

Way to tote the company line even though you haven’t been able to participate in a single loss to those guys.

20. thegreatgabbert says: Jun 6, 2014 4:09 PM

It’s one thing to bark the bark, but will he bite the bite?

21. xsorethumbx says: Jun 6, 2014 4:10 PM

talk like a jet. play like the raiders

22. chinahand11 says: Jun 6, 2014 4:11 PM

You know, if I was a rookie I think I would be careful about bad-mouthing Tom Brady, considering they play in the same division. I would rather fly under that guy’s radar. That’s just me, though.

23. cliffclavicle says: Jun 6, 2014 4:12 PM

The Jests are always the toughest team in the NFL between the end of the Superbowl and the start of the season. Talk talk talk…then comes the fail.

24. In Teddy We Trust says: Jun 6, 2014 4:14 PM

There’s nothing more endearing than a loud-mouth rookie.

25. Goodell's Green Glasses says: Jun 6, 2014 4:15 PM

Taking the high road is overrated.

26. iamdinguskhan says: Jun 6, 2014 4:18 PM

Tom has 3 rings and a gold jacket waiting for him…what to you have Calvin other than a big mouth? Between the Giants and Patriots there is 6 Super Bowl championships in the modern NFL to Jets 1 when Namath was QB in the 60s. Maybe you should respect instead of hate.
    J-E-T-S Suck! Suck! Suck!

27. denverwally says: Jun 6, 2014 4:20 PM

If he keeps flapping his gums like this, he’d better learn to add by 7’s. 7-0… 14-0… 21-0… etc etc

28. 1rockyracoon says: Jun 6, 2014 4:22 PM

The Jets hate teams that are much better than them. Loser mentality.

29. dalcow4 says: Jun 6, 2014 4:24 PM

Just don’t say anything about teh gayz.

30. jolink653 says: Jun 6, 2014 4:30 PM

I remember Anthony Smith talking trash about the Patriots in 2007, and Brady went out of his way to embarrass Smith on the field that game. Maybe Pryor should keep his mouth shut and earn some respect before Brady does the same to him

31. grogantomorgan says: Jun 6, 2014 4:35 PM

I see the assimilation process is in high gear at the Jet camp. If you actually listen to all the banter you would think they’ve actually won something recently …

I know it’s difficult but stay classy Jets & fans.

32. rutchaser says: Jun 6, 2014 5:04 PM

Really? Before you’ve even played a preseason game?

33. hehateme2 says: Jun 6, 2014 5:06 PM

The jets are trash. Most irrelevant team in sports. All talk no action since 1969.

34. bigbwoy000 says: Jun 6, 2014 5:16 PM

All talk no action since 1969.

Only the Eagles & their fans have the Jets beat for trash talking & trying to be relevant. 1960. Says it all.

35. ampats says: Jun 6, 2014 5:18 PM

January 12 , 1969 the last time a Jet backed up his trash talk. 45 years and counting !!!

36. lanman11 says: Jun 6, 2014 5:18 PM

The Jets are once again the odds on favorite to win the off season Super Bowl.

37. realnflmaster says: Jun 6, 2014 5:29 PM

January 16, 2011
    JETS 28–21 Patriots

38. richardmswartz says: Jun 6, 2014 5:31 PM

I wish Pryor found a way to slip down to 22 but alas it was not meant to be. Pryor is a defensive player and there is nothing wrong with wanting to go after the best quarterback of your time. And for all those who don’t understand that sports hate isn’t real life hate, go take a pill.

39. jchipwood says: Jun 6, 2014 5:37 PM

Patriot fans really cant talk until they win a super bowl without cheating. Say what you want but everyone knows this. And in the words of Joey Porter “if it didnt help you win then why did you do it?”

40. dcpatfan says: Jun 6, 2014 5:45 PM

No matter how long it takes the yets to finally resemble a team that can approach NE’s level you will never have cause to celebrate. All you or I have to mention is “buttfumble”….end of conversation.

41. tothefellowshipofthemiserable says: Jun 6, 2014 5:46 PM

Big mouth during OTA’S! Cracking me up.

42. coloradical420 says: Jun 6, 2014 5:52 PM

why would you like someone that beats on you regularly? totally makes sense to me.

43. 25cuts says: Jun 6, 2014 6:08 PM

It’s ok to talk….IF your team is good.

44. whywerule says: Jun 6, 2014 6:09 PM

coloradical420 says:
    Jun 6, 2014 5:52 PM

Exactly. Still, a rookie who has done nothing and may never do anything should be seen and not heard.

45. beefsbrother says: Jun 6, 2014 6:14 PM

Jchip, what everyone knows but won’t say because it doesn’t support their argument is that esteemed coaches like Bill Cowher and Jimmy Johnson freely admit that everyone was doing ‘spygate’-type stuff back then. If you want to accuse the Pats of being arrogant by ignoring the Commissioner’s edict, I will not argue with you. I thought it was a really stupid thing to do. The truth is, the Pats are still in the process of executing the longest sustained run of excellence the league has ever seen, and folks just have to deal with it.

46. my45eagle says: Jun 6, 2014 6:14 PM

Who won the last Jets Pats game? What’s Rexs record vs Bill? Multiple wins? What’s Rexs playoff record vs the Pats? How many SBs have the Pats won since getting caught cheating? Lets not bring that into it.

47. xbam1 says: Jun 6, 2014 6:19 PM

sounds like he will fit right in on a team of morons coached and owned by morons….welcome to the NFL Calvin…

48. bradyisyourdaddy says: Jun 6, 2014 6:27 PM

WHO?!?!?!?!?!?

49. tedmurph says: Jun 6, 2014 6:32 PM

Ryans record vs Belichick is 3-7, unless you count when he coached for the Ravens. Then add another 0-4.

50. imnotsorryisaidthat says: Jun 6, 2014 6:39 PM

The only person who cares what this rookie says is this rookie..

51. martybugs2 says: Jun 6, 2014 6:44 PM

Look at all these NE trolls!!!!!

52. tedmurph says: Jun 6, 2014 6:46 PM

January 16, 2011
    JETS 28–21 Patriots

The jets only Super Bowl win, for anyone young enough to operate a computer

53. kev86 says: Jun 6, 2014 6:51 PM

Yeah yeah. Rex chirped jets were better than Giants and would be for next ten years before the 2011 season. Giants beat them head to head and win the super bowl against the Pats. Keep talking.

54. gmoney94 says: Jun 6, 2014 7:07 PM

All yu pats fans can blow the grip and rot in hell for all I care. Yall talk all that smack about the Jets being garbage but yall fail to realize that the same buttfumbler mark sanchez beat your team in the playoffs. I can’t wait for pryor to make a big hit on brady so that all you sorry pats fans can complain on this page on why pryor isn’t fined.

55. robbieboston says: Jun 6, 2014 7:36 PM

Thank God, I was nervous that we weren’t gonna get any senseless preseason Jets players saying they don’t like Tom Brady and/or the pats. Here’s some news: the Pats love the jets, because it’s 2 easy wins a year! ThAnks guys!

56. rufusporter says: Jun 6, 2014 8:07 PM

The toughest guys I’ve known don’t talk much. Take a look at Kam Chancellor and Marshawn Lynch(probably the two toughest guys in the league right now). They are ‘Bout that action, Boss.’ As Marshawn, so eloquently, put it.

57. realnflmaster says: Jun 6, 2014 8:59 PM

Belichick is a bad coach. Anyone could win with Brady. lolololol.

58. finsblood13 says: Jun 6, 2014 9:06 PM

Just End The Season

59. nyjnacho6 says: Jun 6, 2014 9:14 PM

Ah I see Pats fans r up in arms.. Pryor will knock out Brady,Gronk n Belicheat and his henchmen cameramen staking out at other teams practices

60. mtrhead269 says: Jun 6, 2014 9:23 PM

Interesting the rookie box safety with questionable coverage skills calls out one of the top QB’s in the league, prepare to be embarrassed Calvin.

61. irishinyourface says: Jun 6, 2014 9:38 PM

i thought the Raiders traded Pryor to Seattle for a 6th round pick?

62. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Jun 6, 2014 9:43 PM

If talkin’ trash is your game then playing for a Ryan is the right place to be.

63. htown995 says: Jun 6, 2014 10:25 PM

Yeah hes talking that crap right now but come game he will be quiet as a mouse when the pats beat the sweats by 35 points man some people just dont learn the jets. Will never win a super bowl with geno below average smith he sucks or vick they have scrubs for quarterbacks

64. lostsok says: Jun 6, 2014 10:47 PM

Man the Jets and their coaches/players talk a lot for being the joke of the conference.

65. Duckhomie says: Jun 6, 2014 10:50 PM

Who is this idiot? And tell me when his 15 minutes are up.

66. Angry Orange Man says: Jun 7, 2014 1:19 AM

Well, if they want to beat the Goants and Pats at something it had better be trash talk because you know it’s not gonna be football games.

Maybe Pryor should invest some of that signing bonus into another black curtain (like they use to cover the Giants 4 Superbowl logos) to cover the away team score so they can avoid reality that much longer.

How about you play a down before you go running your mouth there sport?

67. mrzazz41387 says: Jun 7, 2014 2:28 AM

Brady doesn’t get thrown off by trash talk. What does stun the golden boy is physical play that put the game in his face. Pryor has the physical ability to bring a physicality to everyone that is in front of him… Not so much behind him in deep coverage.

68. nite2al says: Jun 7, 2014 5:55 AM

What? Is he supposed to say he loves the Pats?

Sanchez tried that.

BTW, the writing is on the wall for NE. The end is near…

69. ROCKNROLLA says: Jun 7, 2014 5:59 AM

I love Ryan he’s one of the best D coaches but i hate some of the Jets players who have big mouth and no brains.
    Jets are 32 on my “like it” teams rankings list. :)

70. nite2al says: Jun 7, 2014 6:03 AM

beefsbrother,

I can easily deal with the Patriots losing AFC Championships and SBs…

LOL, like I’ve said sense the Pats had Randy Moss…they are a regular season team…once they get into the playoffs, they will get punched in the mouth by a strong defense (after playing all those patsies in their division). It happens year after year. I don’t know why the media fails to acknowledge this.

Bill, change your formula…pay some players, your 6th round gems will only get you so far.

71. nite2al says: Jun 7, 2014 6:08 AM

I remember Plaxico Burress talking trash be fore the SB.

How’d that work for you, Brady?

72. RexCanCoach says: Jun 7, 2014 6:52 AM

Jets Defense will be FLYIN this year…

Well, unlike the Giants and the Patsies, the Jets have never lost a super bowl, so put that in your pipe and smoke it missie…

73. 1952vikefan says: Jun 7, 2014 7:01 AM

that Richard he’s funny

74. floratiotime says: Jun 7, 2014 9:40 AM

That annual 3rd pre-season game against the Giants is really the Jets Superbowl. They know that they’re a non-factor once the real games start. So they put everything into winning that one. It’s pathetic.