Dennis Pitta is physically well, but still learning

Dennis Pitta AP

Veteran wideout Steve Smith and tight end Owen Daniels aren’t the only new faces which should help the Ravens passing game this coming season.

Tight end Dennis Pitta is working his way back after what amounts to a lost 2013 season, and said he’s “reinventing” himself while coming back from the hip injury that cost him most of the year.

“I feel good. I feel really healthy. I feel 100 percent,” Pitta said, via the team’s official website. “But there are still things that I work through. I would say I’m on my way to getting all the way back.”

Getting him back will go a long way toward getting the Ravens’ offense back in gear, as the style being installed by new offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak will create more opportunities for Pitta (who was plenty productive in 2012).

“It’s a fun system to play in and I’m excited to learn and grow,” Pitta said. “The system is set up for receivers to have big years and for tight ends to catch a lot of footballs. Owen [Daniels] has proven that over the years. Hopefully I can find a similar role.”

With Daniels alongside to help teach him, the possibility for Pitta to open the middle of the field is an appealing one. Especially with Smith working intermediate routes and Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones deep, the new acquisitions should give the Ravens plenty of options.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
16 Responses to “Dennis Pitta is physically well, but still learning”
  1. crownofthehelmet says: Jun 9, 2014 10:24 AM

I almost forgot Owen Daniels is on this team. To make the matchup fair, when covering Daniels, Shazier will tie his shoestrings together.

2. ajgreenhof says: Jun 9, 2014 10:25 AM

“I feel good. I feel really healthy. I feel 100 percent,” Pitta said

Not sure if Pitta knows what 100% is.

3. hakunamangata says: Jun 9, 2014 10:26 AM

Durh Jump Ball JOe won’t beee able tah get him da ball…haw haw!

Just wanted to beat you guys to the punch. Good luck covering him and Daniels in the middle with Steve Smith in the slot Torrey and Marlon on the outside and our RBs underneath!

4. Bull Rush says: Jun 9, 2014 10:34 AM

Shazier’s hambstring problem will slow him down enough, if he’s on the field at all.

5. Bull Rush says: Jun 9, 2014 10:35 AM

Sorry…hamstring

6. crownofthehelmet says: Jun 9, 2014 10:44 AM

Please hakuna – Shazier, Timmons and Troy could cover all 4 of those guys.

7. getyourownname says: Jun 9, 2014 10:46 AM

“To make the matchup fair, when covering Daniels, Shazier will tie his shoestrings together.”

First, you’re assuming he knows how to do that.

But even after someone teaches him, we heard the same thing when Jarvis Jones was drafted. Remind us how much of an impact he has made sitting on the bench?

8. hakunamangata says: Jun 9, 2014 10:49 AM

Troy couldn’t cover a dead man with a blanket.

As for Timmons he had trouble covering Ed Dickson, and we’ll see about Shazier. No idea what he can do in coverage but he is fast as all get out.

9. camcameronsucks says: Jun 9, 2014 10:54 AM

“ajgreenhof says:Jun 9, 2014 10:25 AM

“I feel good. I feel really healthy. I feel 100 percent,” Pitta said

Not sure if Pitta knows what 100% is.”

100% healthy does not equate to 100% ready for football.

Not sure if YOU know what 100% is…

10. clashpoint says: Jun 9, 2014 1:05 PM

Between Daniels and Pitta the Ravens have nearly one healthy tight end.

11. drewzducks says: Jun 9, 2014 1:41 PM

I must be having a drug induced flash back cuz I think I read someone stating that “Troy” could cover somebody? That “genius” must have not watched the Pats coast their way to 55 and 610 last year. I’m guessing they’ve set their lofty goal at 8 wins again this year.

12. scoobies05 says: Jun 9, 2014 9:27 PM

and the Steelers will be rolling out broken down heath Miller.

13. troy43mvp says: Jun 10, 2014 8:25 AM

I’m sorry but the Ravens just aren’t that scary. It’s too bad. I liked the rivalry. Oh well I guess somebody has to be in the cellar this year. May as well be the ones that overpaid their QB and have no non prosecuted RB’s , and the ones who couldn’t replace Ray and Reed. Hope you enjoyed the “Glory Year”..

14. jtbsteeler says: Jun 10, 2014 9:06 AM

Geriatrics are us.

15. jtbsteeler says: Jun 10, 2014 9:11 AM

One-eighth of Heath Miller’s career will be a good Pitta career.

16. guitarkevin says: Jun 10, 2014 9:21 AM

LOL at Steeler fans thinking the Ravens won’t be contending for the division. The Steelers are bankrupt, old and just plain out of gas. LeBeau’s defense doesn’t scare us since there isn’t anyone on the team to pull it off. That and the Ravens know how it works better than anyone.

Have fun watching us in the playoffs while yinz sit at home…again.