Carl Nicks passes physical, plans to practice in training camp

Carl Nicks AP

Buccaneers guard Carl Nicks isn’t ready to practice during this week’s mandatory minicamp, but he expects to practice in six weeks when training camp opens.

Tampa Bay coach Lovie Smith told reporters today that Nicks passed his physical, and Nicks said he believes he’ll be sufficiently recovered from two foot surgeries that he can go for training camp.

“My status is on schedule. Looking forward to being ready for training camp,” Nicks said, via Tom Krasniqi of WDAE. “Honestly, I think I’ll be ready to play.”

Nicks has played just nine games with the Bucs in the two seasons since they signed him to a five-year, $47.5 million contract, thanks to a toe injury that required surgery, which then led to an infection. Nicks said he’s not in football shape and not running, and he expects to have permanent pain in the foot. But if Nicks can be close to the kind of player he was when the Bucs signed him, he could provide a significant upgrade to the offensive line in Tampa.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
8 Responses to “Carl Nicks passes physical, plans to practice in training camp”
  1. reporterofthetruth says: Jun 10, 2014 5:49 PM

Nicks can be a monster when healthy. But Tampa never enjoyed that version of Nicks.

2. dccowboy says: Jun 10, 2014 5:51 PM

I hope he is ready for TC. I hate to see any player suffer the adversity he has.

Good Luck and God Bless

3. redsoxchamp11 says: Jun 10, 2014 6:13 PM

I wonder how much over weight he was. I mean its not like you can keep your cardio sharp with a busted up foot.

4. yesser12 says: Jun 10, 2014 8:48 PM

Won’t consider him healthy until he plays a game again. I just don’t want to get hopes up and then he is back to being hurt.

5. sportsbastard says: Jun 11, 2014 2:58 AM

Don’t everyone rush to jump in that staph infected buccaneer hot tub.

6. whysomanylosers says: Jun 11, 2014 9:10 AM

dude needs to hit the bike and the elliptical and get SOME kind of conditioning… it gets flipping hot out there.

I hate to say, he will probably get cut by end of camp.

7. labucs says: Jun 11, 2014 5:04 PM

If he is always going to be playing with pain it’s over. Too bad. I really liked him in interviews.

8. acurat says: Jun 12, 2014 1:03 PM

Article fails to mention that this infection was a result of the Bucs not sanitizing their facility correctly when a MSRA outbreak occured. It is not even his fault – it was the team’s fault! Thank goodness the management of last year is cleaned out when all of these bad things happened – I would hate to see this happen to anyone!