Eagle, Fouts climb to top of ladder at CBS

Fouts

With Jim Nantz and Phil Simms working every Thursday night game this year televised on CBS and/or NFL Network, they won’t be working every Sunday on CBS.

This means that, for any Sundays when Nantz and Simms are otherwise getting ready for the next Thursday’s game, Ian Eagle and Dan Fouts (pictured, but not really) become the No. 1 team at CBS.

It’s unclear when and how often Nantz and Simms will skip a Sunday.  Conventional wisdom suggests that Nantz and Simms will work the late afternoon CBS doubleheader games, and that they’ll be off on the Sundays when CBS has only regional coverage.

This isn’t Fouts’ first stint at the top of a ticket. He served as an analyst on ABC’s Monday Night Football with Al Michaels and Dennis Miller.

The other CBS broadcasting crews for 2014 will be Greg Gumbel and Trent Green, Kevin Harlan and Rich Gannon, Spero Dedes and Solomon Wilcots, and Andrew Catalon, Steve Beuerlein, and Steve Tasker.

There’s a theory/hypothesis/whatever that CBS agreed to give up Nantz and Simms for Thursday night games because the network wants to begin the process of phasing them out. While we don’t know the reality of that perception, it’ll be interesting to see how much longer Nantz and Simms continue to be the top duo at CBS.

Permalink 55 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
55 Responses to “Eagle, Fouts climb to top of ladder at CBS”
  1. thestrategyexpert says: Jun 10, 2014 6:24 PM

The Lions are due for getting a good broadcasting crew, cut us a break! Although really there isn’t a great excuse for every game to not be covered well, it shouldn’t have to be something that we ask for.

Do we at least still get Jon Gruden for 1 game this year? Thanks if it’s a yes.

2. rodneyharrisonstruckstick says: Jun 10, 2014 6:24 PM

Nantz and Simms are better than all others listed above, for sure!

3. roadtrip3500 says: Jun 10, 2014 6:32 PM

And it looks like the schedule was made so that Nantz and Simms never had to worry about doing a west coast game on Thursday, then fly cross-country and prep for an east coast Sunday game. The first Thursday night game with a home team in the Pacific time zone is week 12 at Oakland, and the CBS doubleheader games that following Sunday are at Denver and at San Fran… easy commute from Oakland-AC to Levi’s. Other than that Oakland game, there’s one Thursday game in Denver and all the rest are in Eastern or Central zone stadiums.

4. imthedudedude says: Jun 10, 2014 6:37 PM

Props for the pic

5. kush118 says: Jun 10, 2014 6:39 PM

Phil Simms is second only to Chris Collinsworth in suckness.

6. j0esixpack says: Jun 10, 2014 6:48 PM

Isn’t that Will Farrell?

7. TheWizard says: Jun 10, 2014 6:49 PM

Ian Eagle? I remember when he was a lock for the Browns/Bengals games every year.

I miss Dierdorf already.

8. donnymacjack says: Jun 10, 2014 6:50 PM

This is a real bummer. While I loved Fouts when he played for the Chargers, I despise him in the booth. I can’t believe that CBS doesn’t have a better #2 pair. But I’ve felt for a long time that CBS lags far behind Fox in terms of on-air talent. Both in the booth and in pre-game shows.

9. wiskybuck says: Jun 10, 2014 6:51 PM

Simms has had to go for a while. It’d be a Shame to see Nantz go.

10. blowfishes says: Jun 10, 2014 6:56 PM

I liked Dan Fouts in ‘The Waterboy’

11. JackedUpSports says: Jun 10, 2014 6:56 PM

nantz is one of the best in the business i dont know why theyd phase him out

12. proflonghair says: Jun 10, 2014 6:59 PM

Thank God, no more Don Crique. He had most Browns games, and seemed to be actively rooting against them. Also he was terrible

13. goodguyattorney says: Jun 10, 2014 7:03 PM

Since Chris Collingsworth was mentioned, I just have to add that I tackled that guy in a high school playoff game. He then bounced off me and ran about 80 yards for a TD.

14. seabreezes51 says: Jun 10, 2014 7:05 PM

That picture of Dan Fouts looks just like Will Ferrel

15. jadaruler says: Jun 10, 2014 7:05 PM

Phil Simms is great when he’s about to fight Desmond Howard.

16. 4grammarpolice says: Jun 10, 2014 7:05 PM

As a Raider fan, I’ll be preparing for a steady diet of Spero Dedes and Solomon Wilcox; until December, when CBS can hire a couple of interns out of the mailroom to call Oakland’s meaningless games.

17. NFLJunkie says: Jun 10, 2014 7:06 PM

Ian Eagle, no huge complaints. Fouts? I always feel like he just showed up and did no prep whatsoever. Like when he’s trying to sound like he knows the personnel when he calls a name to go with a jersey number the spotter gave him..except he’s reading the name off of the wrong team’s roster sheet.

Guess it won’t be so bad being the smaller market team that almost never gets the #1 crew this year.

18. icewalker946 says: Jun 10, 2014 7:06 PM

I miss the days of Dick Enberg and Merlin Olsen.

19. icewalker946 says: Jun 10, 2014 7:06 PM

I miss the days of Pat Summerall and John Madden.

20. sws84 says: Jun 10, 2014 7:08 PM

Fouts? Sheesh! Get ready for a guy who makes calling players by the wrong name a regular habit.

21. goodguyattorney says: Jun 10, 2014 7:17 PM

I miss the days of Pat Summerall and Tom Brookshire.

22. rabidbillsfan says: Jun 10, 2014 7:31 PM

In recent years, the broadcast booths have taken huge hits in the talent department. I prefer the fox crew slightly more than the CBS, but Nantz is tops over them all. I never understood the hate for Collinsworth. He never really seems to drool over any one team, and he sounds prepared and well versed, unlike some of the guys. I do love it when somebody claims to watch any sporting event muted because they can’t stand so-and-so, I also picture them silently cheering and lip-syncing “Jock jams”. If there is any one commentator in all of sports I cannot stand, it is Pierre McGuire for the NHL. I’m surprised we can even understand him with how deeply buried his face is in Sydney Cros… Well, I’m sure you all get the picture. Jon Grueden at least LOVES everybody.

23. patriotsdefense says: Jun 10, 2014 7:42 PM

What a petty gossip attack from an NBC property on to CBS. Jim Nantz is the network voice for sports. He does the Masters, Super Bowls, and March Madness. He is easily by far the best play by play guy they have.

24. whatswrongwithmyname says: Jun 10, 2014 7:44 PM

Does anyone actually like anyone? Really…every time there’s an article about broadcasters, the comments section is filled with complaints about those broadcasters.

Personally, I don’t mind Fouts and Eagle, and most of the others. The only ones I don’t like are Buck and Aikman. Otherwise, I have no major issues with any broadcasters.

Quite frankly, if the broadcasters are in any way affecting the game for you, you’re watching it for all the wrong reasons.

25. Stiller43 says: Jun 10, 2014 7:44 PM

Sims and Nance are by far the worst team on TV

26. nflviewer says: Jun 10, 2014 7:47 PM

“There’s a theory/hypothesis/whatever that CBS agreed to give up Nantz and Simms for Thursday night games because the network wants to begin the process of phasing them out. ”

Yes, everyone should take this NBC gossip about CBS seriously. Yes, CBS put their #1 team on their big new Thursday night investment because they want to phase them out, because that’s what networks do — they put people they want to phase out on very high profile prime time shows.

27. nfloracle says: Jun 10, 2014 7:51 PM

With all the retired NFL players who really know the game and can most likely talk intelligently about it in front of a TV camera, it’s amazing to me that there’s such a dearth of quality in the broadcast booths. I’m also surprised that some enterprising ex-broadcaster hasn’t started a coaching program to teach retired players (and coaches and assistants for that matter) how to comment live on games.

28. slick50ks says: Jun 10, 2014 7:54 PM

Fouts is the worst thing on air. He makes Collingsworth sound like Madden.

29. jacobk621 says: Jun 10, 2014 8:28 PM

I miss the days of Curt Gowdy and John Brodie ,,, Gowdy was one of the best but never gets the credit he rightfully deserves !!

30. kenstabler says: Jun 10, 2014 8:56 PM

It’s his coverage of the Bourbon Bowl that propelled him to the top. And yes that is Will Ferrell.

Nice to see Florio has a sense of humor.

31. wte1 says: Jun 10, 2014 9:16 PM

I had always thought his name was Iron Eagle and not Ian Eagle.

I felt it was rather pretentious to call himself Iron Eagle.

32. thegronk87 says: Jun 10, 2014 9:20 PM

this is CBS’s number 2 crew? LOL, mute button.

33. puppybowler says: Jun 10, 2014 9:22 PM

People complain about announcers WAAAAAAAAAAY too much. With that being said…Ian Eagle is awesome

34. kantnockdahustle89 says: Jun 10, 2014 9:23 PM

I will miss Billick and still miss Gus Johnson. I also feel like no one likes most of the former players but actually like the guys who studied broadcasting. Maybe that’s an idea… Former coaches also seem like able.

35. brownsmakemecrazy says: Jun 10, 2014 9:27 PM

Ian Eagle is a great play by play announcer. One of the best. Fouts is so so. Unlike most that seem to be annoyed by Joe Buck and Troy Aikman, i think they are rock solid.

Spero Dedes and Solomon Wilcots are really good.

Lately Nantz and Al Michaels have become a little annoying. Collinsworth is one of the best analysts if not the best. Chucky Gruden is fun to listen to.

Still my all time favorite duo are Pat Summerall and John Madden.

Unlike above, i really enjoyed Don Criqui. The dbag i couldnt stand was Bob Trumpy.

Miss hearing Gus Johnson doing NFL games.

36. lemdawg says: Jun 10, 2014 9:28 PM

Simms has been terrible since he started. He starts talking then has no idea what he was going to say. Get him out of there!

37. robuff716 says: Jun 10, 2014 9:29 PM

These network execs are acting silly….Gus Johnson is the best in the game!!

38. avanderlay says: Jun 10, 2014 9:38 PM

Mayock is better than everyone on that list IMO.

39. jsally430 says: Jun 10, 2014 9:42 PM

Why is dan fouts dressed like Will Ferrell

40. 34defense2014 says: Jun 10, 2014 9:43 PM

Gruden??!?? He never shuts the “F” up!!!!

41. mrman0063 says: Jun 10, 2014 10:12 PM

Whoa, someone actually like Dierdorf?

42. patriotsdefense says: Jun 10, 2014 10:38 PM

Curt Gowdy was not only great but he truly did it all, not a sport he didn’t master behind the mic.

43. ocgunslinger says: Jun 10, 2014 10:42 PM

Best broadcast team ever was Dandy Don Meredith, Frank Gifford and yes….Howard Cosell on Monday Night Football. They became legends and games were watched to see and hear them as much as the game itself. Maybe ya had to have been there….. :-)

44. jlmd17 says: Jun 10, 2014 10:44 PM

Hey dierdorf is gone so it’s all good.

45. ajgreenhof says: Jun 10, 2014 10:56 PM

Fouts is awful.

46. mtraider says: Jun 10, 2014 11:01 PM

Glad his bias won’t be heard on Raider games on a regular basis!

47. jeffreyshulenburg says: Jun 10, 2014 11:13 PM

I still love hearing Tasker call Bills games on Sunday.

48. raiderrob21 says: Jun 10, 2014 11:19 PM

HORRIBLE!

49. raiderrob21 says: Jun 10, 2014 11:22 PM

Give me Gus Johnson any day all day!

50. jblandbeardown says: Jun 10, 2014 11:23 PM

Phil Simms is heads, toes, arms , and any other appendages above and is the WORST color man in all of football. He routinely is wrong about who held, what penalty is, why a team mightv e used a timeout. What can/cannot be challenged. If a petition could be signed to remove Simms, id sign it first. Nantz is ok. I feel for him. Dierdorf should’ve been on #1 team. Anyone than Simms. I usually don’t rant, but I feel 100 times better knowing a conspiracy might be there to remove Phil Simms

51. elliottcovert says: Jun 10, 2014 11:33 PM

Phil Simms is the worst NFL commentator by a country mile. He provides no insights into the games and the boring drone that is his voice is one of the most irritating sounds known to man.

Usually, a football game is enjoyable as long as the commentary is neutral rather than actively bad, but Simms, the clown prince of color commentary, manages to ruin every game he touches.

The fact that CBS not only retains that doofus year after year but that they’ve seemingly decided to piss the whole country off by sticking him on a whole series of prime time games only serves to show why they’re the worst NFL coverage network on the air.

52. sportsbastard says: Jun 11, 2014 2:57 AM

I wish Jim Nantz would just go away. (Or stick to The Masters). Kevin Harlan is far and away the best play by play guy CBS employs.

53. pacificdan says: Jun 11, 2014 11:20 AM

I miss when Dr. Z used to rank the different TV commentators, that was always a good read during the off-season.

It sucks about Dr. Z in general, he was always good for a in-depth X & Os analysis.

54. scotrugby says: Jun 11, 2014 12:58 PM

Good God no. Fouts is unbearable, unless it’s Will Ferrell as Fouts, then it’s ok.

55. djshnooks says: Jun 11, 2014 3:05 PM

I’m not saying this because I’m a Bills fan…but Steve Tasker might be the best of the bunch, besides Greg Gumble.