Jeff Fisher says Gregg Williams is changing the attitude in St. Louis

greggwilliams AP

Rams head coach Jeff Fisher brought in his old buddy Gregg Williams to whip his defense into shape this year, and Fisher says Williams is making big changes to the attitude.

Fisher said Williams is re-shaping the Rams’ defense in a way that can already be felt during Organized Team Activities, and that should extend into the season.

He’s the main voice in the room,” Fisher said. “He can coach every single position. You can see the change. You can see the energy. I’ve had to back him down just a little bit.”

Williams is best known for his role in the Saints bounty case, but he also has a long track record of success as a defensive coach before the scandal in New Orleans. Now Williams is doing it in St. Louis.

Permalink 61 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, St. Louis Rams, Top Stories
61 Responses to “Jeff Fisher says Gregg Williams is changing the attitude in St. Louis”
  1. isphet71 says: Jun 10, 2014 8:08 PM

I wonder if he’s training them to “kill the head.”

2. myohmeier says: Jun 10, 2014 8:09 PM

I bet he is. Half a million in bounty tends to have that effect.

3. ck7isgod says: Jun 10, 2014 8:09 PM

Nobody cares about the Rams in St Louis,, it is an extra home game for San Francisco.

The 49ers will win the division, while the Rams will be in last place.

CK7 will be MVP.

4. thepftpoet says: Jun 10, 2014 8:11 PM

Gregg Williams will forever be known as the man that cheated the Minnesota Vikings out of a Super Bowl.

This guy should be banned from the league.

5. lennydpocketqb says: Jun 10, 2014 8:12 PM

I think he’s a good coach who was caught in the moment and made a bad choice. He served his time. Making the Rams D relevant again would be an amazing comeback.

6. bworacle says: Jun 10, 2014 8:14 PM

I’m sure he’s already implemented a bounty program.

7. thegreatjimbrown says: Jun 10, 2014 8:17 PM

What the heck does “I’ve had to back him down just a little bit” mean? I’d like a follow-up to that, please.

8. guyizzo says: Jun 10, 2014 8:17 PM

Glad he’s back in the nfl. He just got caught doing, what’s been done for decades. Plus he took the fall like a man and saved a half dozen or so players a substantial number of game checks. Which is instant credibility in a locker room

9. nostalgicsound says: Jun 10, 2014 8:18 PM

The NFC West shaping up to become the best division in the league. All four team defenses have a lot of toughness, should be fun to watch!

10. hauts81 says: Jun 10, 2014 8:20 PM

I’ve always admired Williams’ aggressive style and I think he can still produce a top defense even without the bounty/dirty hit shenanigans.

11. ronfai says: Jun 10, 2014 8:20 PM

He’s over rated as a coach, just like Fisher. Fisher hasn’t had a relevant team in more than a decade. The Rams will get smoked again. With supposedly the best D line in the NFL, they sure give up a lot of yards/points. They are the Lions without the explosive offense.

12. channer81 says: Jun 10, 2014 8:21 PM

Get over the bounty gate crap. He wasn’t the first, and he won’t be the last. I remember when he was our DC in Washington when Gibbs 2 started, and the same defensive roster that was horrible the year before turned into a top 5 defense.

13. broncobrewer says: Jun 10, 2014 8:21 PM

Still think the bounty thing was B.S. every team was doing the exact same time. Godell is just a fool and was trying to show a good front for the lawsuits which so far has back fired

14. scrotiemcb says: Jun 10, 2014 8:21 PM

When I think of Williams, I think of that thing Shakespeare said. Tragedies always magnify the epic nature of the struggle. So I drink tea, think strongly about the fault in our stars (not the book or movie but the real one), and remember that everybody is human unless they are not.

That basically explains the thing between Williams and Fischer. You just can’t examine football in absence of the correlating evidence.

15. jaccfrost says: Jun 10, 2014 8:22 PM

yea there’ll be a bounty….a bounty of sacks, a bounty of hurries, a bounty QB touches, a bounty of forced fumbles and a bounty of crow eaters…ijs

16. captainwisdom88 says: Jun 10, 2014 8:22 PM

i understand if you are a division rival of the rams, you may not want to see them have success. But honestly im pulling for this squad. Im not a big believer in bradford per se, but i respect a good tenacious defense…and i think thats where this team is going.

seattle, san fran and even arizona are looking strong heading into this year, but it would be cool if the rams could find it in themselves to be the dark horse in this division and start upsetting these powerhouse teams

17. thestrategyexpert says: Jun 10, 2014 8:23 PM

Maybe things didn’t work out in the past, but you need to do what you have to do to find a fiery voice that has the knowledge to understand multiple positions if you want to do right by your team that you are responsible for. I like hearing about all the energy and that the HC admits he’s had to even reel him in from going over the line. As long as you don’t cross the line then pump these guys up and tell them what they need to know and do it with passion!!!!!!!!!!!

18. realnflmaster says: Jun 10, 2014 8:25 PM

Gregg Williams spent the entire off-season begging future HOF head coach REX RYAN for his secrets to success.

19. officialgame says: Jun 10, 2014 8:27 PM

And I can see the bounty money.

20. thetooloftools says: Jun 10, 2014 8:46 PM

Are any players finding “mystery ca$h” in their lockers yet?

21. amgdds says: Jun 10, 2014 8:55 PM

Fisher sounds like he’s getting 10% of the bounty money.

22. Youknowimright says: Jun 10, 2014 9:04 PM

Williams walked into the locker room put up the manziel money hands and said I got the first one. And like that the attitude was changed.

23. kaferwerks says: Jun 10, 2014 9:05 PM

If the rams and saints are playing in the preseason (I think they are) expect a decent football game. I’m sure there will be plenty of “remember me” shots

24. harrisbarton says: Jun 10, 2014 9:17 PM

Gregg Williams needs to contact Kramer and get a ‘bro’ or a ‘man-ssierre’.

25. dadsource says: Jun 10, 2014 9:20 PM

If he’s so great, why did he do NOTHING while in Jacksonville? Was blown out after a year after trying his vaudeville act.

26. 34defense2014 says: Jun 10, 2014 9:31 PM

Finally someone who knows Football History!!! Well said “guyizzo”!!!!!!!!!

27. mrlaloosh says: Jun 10, 2014 9:37 PM

Strait cash, homey.

28. 49erfan44 says: Jun 10, 2014 9:42 PM

This headline is a softball pitch for jokes.

29. srt9 says: Jun 10, 2014 9:43 PM

It isn’t golf ladies!!!

30. harrycanyon says: Jun 10, 2014 9:54 PM

Money talks.

31. coachbeck says: Jun 10, 2014 10:00 PM

I love the LA Rams

32. rmfp1978 says: Jun 10, 2014 10:09 PM

He was a fall guy. Get over it people its a contact sport and coaches say things to motivate players. His punishment was harsh, he did his time and there are still fans that talk trash on him. It’s fans like these that are helping Goodell ruin the sport I love. Only problem I had with Williams was that he rolled over on players instead of standing up and saying yeah we put together funds and players that gave great hits were paid. Either way he did his time and I’m glad he’s w the rams. Britt is going to take the offense to the next level. RAMS NATION

33. eternalram says: Jun 10, 2014 11:01 PM

Why is Gregg Williams ALWAYS associated with “Bounty Gate” and “should be banned from the league”? But Bill Belichick is NEVER associated with “Spy Gate” and is the “best coach in the NFL”? Just saying…

34. ws3rd says: Jun 10, 2014 11:42 PM

Clearly Gregg Williams is overloaded with testosterone. Some people (and coaches) are. He is in the right sport to have the “destroy your enemy” mentality. I’m a NY Giants fan. He did his time. Jeff Fisher is one of the best coaches in the NFL. He knows what this guy can do. I’d love to have him on the Giants. Fewell got lucky when the planets aligned. I think the Giants will contend, but would love this tough, demanding SOB coach in Big Blue.

35. middy8484 says: Jun 10, 2014 11:48 PM

Colin k hates to play the Rams. He gets intercepted and sacked countless times. Bet the house that the 69ers will place 3rd ahead of AZ.

36. slick50ks says: Jun 10, 2014 11:53 PM

He’s a good coach, and has always been a good motivator wherever he went.

The aints players were just scumbags about it. It’s on them, not him.

37. vtown77 says: Jun 10, 2014 11:53 PM

Money talks

38. 1phd says: Jun 10, 2014 11:54 PM

Two words explain why it won’t matter: Sam Bradford.

39. mcmccii says: Jun 10, 2014 11:55 PM

The NFL offenses have Williams figured out, especially the 49ers.
    Greg Williams Tina in this league has come and gone.
    Glad to have Rob Ryan as the Saints DC now

40. fumblenuts says: Jun 11, 2014 12:53 AM

You can bet your ass him and his defense will under a microscope by the NFL…….

41. habeeb08 says: Jun 11, 2014 12:54 AM

The main thing for the Rams is to get Bradford healthy for the whole season and compete in that helluva division like they did in 2012 and not just defensive adjustments
    If Britt can turn back the clock, the decision to pass on Watkins will than appear justified.
    The secondary could use Gregg Williams nous tho.

42. wyrdawg says: Jun 11, 2014 1:36 AM

Not sure I’d be throwing that name around if I were Jeff, but, I’m not.. so…

Good luck!

43. jayovalentine says: Jun 11, 2014 2:04 AM

Say what you want about him, he puts out some tough defenses. That whole NFC West division will have some pretty good defenses.

44. FlashPatterson says: Jun 11, 2014 2:13 AM

attack the head.

45. dougiefresh59 says: Jun 11, 2014 2:22 AM

Ck7isgod, remember who won the division and beat the niners in the NFC title game, yea I think they’ll have a say in this as Kaepernick fails again

46. sportsbastard says: Jun 11, 2014 2:33 AM

This defense is going to be flat out nasty if the young secondary can cover anyone. With that front 7, they won’t have to cover for very long.

47. bamboozle99 says: Jun 11, 2014 2:37 AM

I am wondering if Gregg Williams is heads-up certified?

48. dylanthom2013 says: Jun 11, 2014 2:52 AM

I wonder if anyone has set up a bounty for Williams’ torture and execution yet. It’d be hilarious if he protested while a few of us were curbstomping his skull into pieces and say melting his family by say pouring hydrochloric acid on them. After all, he thinks physically harming other people is accceptable, so it’d be awfully hypocritical of him to all of a sudden be against it if it was happening to him, wouldn’t it? Eye for an eye baby. If Williams turned up somewhere having been say tortured for days and incinerated alive, that’d be hilarious and hopefully there’d be a Youtube of it happening.

49. donkeydik says: Jun 11, 2014 5:05 AM

So Fisher had to take Williams’ guns and knives away. I’d have like to have seen Fisher explain to Williams the definition of “weapons” as it pertains to the NFL

50. davemvh says: Jun 11, 2014 5:36 AM

20 bucks says the bounty program is already up and running.

51. dapollock69 says: Jun 11, 2014 6:54 AM

Fisher probably had to “back him down” after he gave Bradford an atomic wedgie.

52. shaundolphinsfan23 says: Jun 11, 2014 7:16 AM

It’s a shame that this heartless SOB is allowed anywhere near a football field

53. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Jun 11, 2014 7:24 AM

Am I the only one surprised to see Williams still a coach in the NFL?

54. crik911 says: Jun 11, 2014 8:22 AM

-Doesn’t every team want to kill the quarterback?
    -Doesn’t every team have contracts with incentives in it for the players performance?
    -Was the rams defense not better last year than previous years?

55. baddegg says: Jun 11, 2014 8:47 AM

When Gibbs left town the second time, Snyder should have given the head coaching job to Williams. He had totally transformed the defense, the players all wanted him, and he wanted to stay. There was NO reason not to give him the job other than Snyder’s ego.

Curse you Mighty Midgit!

56. jgedgar70 says: Jun 11, 2014 9:23 AM

If I were other NFC West players, I would be worried. The Rams were accomplished cheap-shot artists last year. How much worse will it be with Gregg “go for the head” Williams as DC? If I were Kaep, Wilson and Palmer, I’d have Lloyds of London on speed dial.

57. schmitty2 says: Jun 11, 2014 10:42 AM

jgedgar70 says:Jun 11, 2014 9:23 AM

I won’t dispute the Rams had some dumb personal foul calls last year (Carolina and Seattle games come to mind), but for you to label them “cheap shot artists” shows you know nothing about football or don’t watch every Rams game…or maybe a combo of both.

58. Cortez>Sapp says: Jun 11, 2014 11:45 AM

All the new rules they have to protect players, they let someone who bribed players to injure other players back in?

59. dolphanphan says: Jun 11, 2014 12:38 PM

Rams coach Jeff Fisher has never won a championship at any level whatsoever, so do we really trust his assessment of other coaches?

60. ksiner says: Jun 11, 2014 3:26 PM

Well of course he’s changing attitudes, they’re all looking forward to collecting some bounty money.

61. madroaddog says: Jun 19, 2014 11:47 PM