Jonathan Martin finally practices after bout with mono

Martin AP

One of the biggest names in the NFL from last season has faded into obscurity.  Indeed, Jonathan Martin has become so irrelevant that no one really noticed that he missed three weeks of offseason workouts due to mononucleosis.

Via the Associated Press, Martin returned to the practice field on Tuesday, engaging for the first time in an OTA session with the 49ers, who traded for Martin earlier this year.

“It felt good out there,” Martin said, per Josh Dubow of the AP.  “Just trying to get my timing back.  It felt good to be back out there with my teammates and get this offense down. . . .  I just have to get back in shape.  The biggest thing is timing, getting your hands down and footwork back.  I lost a little bit of weight.  That’s what I worked on last week.”

Whatever the timetable, Martin has plenty of work to do if he hopes to make the 53-man roster in San Francisco.  The illness puts him behind schedule, and it narrows his window for not being one of up to 37 who ultimately are sent packing.

Helping Martin will be his familiarity with coach Jim Harbaugh’s offense, based on their time together at Stanford.

“We have a lot of plays,” Martin said.  “It’s been good.  There are only so many plays in football.  It’s just getting the language down, the calls, the adjustments and different looks.”

Martin provided a much different look last week, chiding LeBron James on Twitter for getting cramps in the first game of the NBA Finals.  The real question is whether anyone with Martin’s new team will chide him for what happened last year in Miami, when Martin abruptly left the team due to allegations of persistent bullying.  The ultimate question is whether Martin will be employed by the 49ers or any other team when the chase for the NFL’s next championship officially begins in September.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
32 Responses to “Jonathan Martin finally practices after bout with mono”
  1. annes22 says: Jun 11, 2014 7:38 AM

Jonathon Martin has to right to say anything about LeBron James. He couldn’t hold a candle to him for anything at all. Martin is a complete looser and the King is the opposite. He won’t make the 49ers he was terrible with the Dolphins, and they sucked.

2. mpcny says: Jun 11, 2014 7:43 AM

had mono your weekend for about 6 months after. Yes you feel a lot better in about 3 weeks but you’re not back to peak for 4-6 months.

You just do have the power, get gassed sooner and recover slower, not a good sign for a lineman.

3. jimmyt says: Jun 11, 2014 7:44 AM

Imagine that, a whiner is now a 40-whiner. Good fit there.

4. beachsidejames says: Jun 11, 2014 7:45 AM

Dolphins gave this guy a chance to be a starting tackle in the nfl and he walked out on them. Its now up to him to prove his worth. Now we will see what the 49ers think he is worth.

5. idpfantasyfootball says: Jun 11, 2014 7:51 AM

chiding? isn’t that another word for bullying?!

6. squinn21 says: Jun 11, 2014 8:02 AM

Dude is going to be cut in training camp.

7. sambaughslingers says: Jun 11, 2014 8:08 AM

So while chiding a 4 time MVP of his league and 2 time world champ, Martin was still at a point where he had not practice once since he walked away from his team in what was nothing else one of the most bizarre stories in the NFL… Not sure this is a guy I want beside me on the offensive line.

8. hakunamangata says: Jun 11, 2014 8:12 AM

Anyone else tired of hearing about this guy?

It wasn’t as if he was a hall of fame left tackle, he’s famous for being bullied and now there’s another reason why he can’t suit up.

Wake me up when he’s done something on the field.

9. thestrategyexpert says: Jun 11, 2014 8:18 AM

He has a better chance than in Miami now that he has a coach and a team that believes in him and is offering their coaching and support.

10. rrhoe says: Jun 11, 2014 8:36 AM

I can see him running to Harbaugh now,”They picking on me”……..

11. finfabulous says: Jun 11, 2014 8:46 AM

JM wont even make the team

12. ncphinsfan says: Jun 11, 2014 8:54 AM

You can do all the off-field stories you want on this gentle giant, but the bottom line is he does not have the skills to be anything but a terrible backup Linemen at best. I’m sure he will blame the Mono on his inability to make the Team and then get Mommy Lawyer to sue the Niners and disrupt the Team there too. Good Luck with him.

13. jimmyt says: Jun 11, 2014 8:59 AM

One thumbs down on every negative post. Martins mom must be a reader.

14. beachsidejames says: Jun 11, 2014 9:06 AM

Mike Florio said it best in that Martin is “so irrelevant that no one even noticed he wasn’t there.”

15. 1uniquename says: Jun 11, 2014 9:13 AM

This guy is mentally unstable and I don’t believe he is self aware at all. I don’t wish ill on anyone even someone who brought ill on my favorite team but realistically I cannot see him making this team, especially now that he had mono. I hope he proves me wrong, I hope one day he plays well and becomes a veteran of the NFL and apologizes to the Dolphins and Richie for what he did after realizing he overreacted and did not handle it the right way at all. But as well all know you can hope in one hand and you know what in the other and see which fills up first.

16. Deof Movestofca says: Jun 11, 2014 9:14 AM

Johnathon who?

17. igotgamenj says: Jun 11, 2014 9:16 AM

Big Goof

18. abninf says: Jun 11, 2014 9:21 AM

You guys stop the bullying. He’s going to read these posts and start crying.

19. jtowndolfan says: Jun 11, 2014 9:34 AM

moves to san fran, gets mono from his new boy friend. the first of many of jmart’s std’s to come

20. luz56 says: Jun 11, 2014 9:49 AM

We don’t know if the guy is going to make the team or not….but what I will say is he has a lot of similarities to Bryant McKinnie who carved out a nice career for being only average but big…like BM Martin has no heart or mean steak but has talent and size

21. trolltoll11 says: Jun 11, 2014 9:50 AM

turtle in a half shell!

22. mfinsrule says: Jun 11, 2014 10:20 AM

If he sees the field the defense will sure know where he is. I can see it now…… defensive ends falling all over themselves to see who gets the honor of making Martin their own personal turnstile. Guy is weak and even worse weak minded.

23. jg78219 says: Jun 11, 2014 11:50 AM

I don’t like Martin very much and don’t really care if he’s on the 49ers but jimmyt your a loser! How about a whiner on the 40 whiners??? Almost as hilarious as your mother naked.

24. jetsareajoke says: Jun 11, 2014 11:59 AM

The real question is: Was he really ill or was it because he was scared of being bullied by the defense?

25. gt40bear says: Jun 11, 2014 12:04 PM

How shameful…his bullying LeBron in such a manner! I’m calling for an investigation and suspension!

26. jayniner says: Jun 11, 2014 12:37 PM

“Indeed, Jonathan Martin has become so irrelevant that no one really noticed that he missed three weeks…”

How long until he blames this on “Mono” for bullying him.

27. thelastpieceofcheese says: Jun 11, 2014 1:44 PM

How did he get mono?

28. dvnelson72 says: Jun 11, 2014 4:25 PM

has he always had the earing on the right side?

not that there is anything wrong with it.

29. cornersss says: Jun 11, 2014 7:53 PM

Again?

Remember he had that same mystery illness last year. Hes just a lazy bum that blames sickness and other people for his laziness

30. cornersss says: Jun 11, 2014 7:55 PM

“like BM Martin has no heart or mean steak but has talent and size”

Size is useless if you are a coward and wont use it

31. phinjunky1985 says: Jun 11, 2014 9:44 PM

I know this idiot had a tough time in Miami and through no fault of his own,what happened to him was terrible.However ; a man has to handle his business the rite way. You don’t run away and hide you stand up to those who give you the problem or you let those in charge know what they are putting you through.He ran and didn’t give the people in charge a chance to handle the situation and because he did that people lost their jobs,a team that was close to the playoffs missed and coaches like Philbin got blindsided and embarrassed. If I was his teammate in San Francisco I wouldn’t trust him,I don’t know how anyone could, he only thinks of himself.

32. piason says: Jun 11, 2014 10:38 PM

Doubt he had Mono… Everytime I see his picture I want to slap him the moron.. Hope mom writes him a note so he can get back in camp. Not!