Mike Pettine noticed Josh Gordon doesn’t go all-out

Josh Gordon AP

Wide receiver Josh Gordon is still practicing with the Browns while he awaits word on what could be a year-long suspension.

So it might be natural that he’s not practicing with the most urgency.

Browns coach Mike Pettine told 92.3 The Fan that Gordon didn’t always exert himself fully in practice.

“It is something we’ve talked about and from what I understand he’s made some improvement, but it is a work in progress,” Pettine said, via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. “I’m a big believer in quality of reps versus quantity of reps. If I’m a player and I know that I’m going to be out there for 40 full-speed team snaps I may have a tendency to pace myself.

“There still needs to be improvement there but we’re aware of it.”

Of course, there’s a chicken-egg quality there too. If Gordon cared enough about his craft to push himself fully, he might not continue to put himself in positions that lead to suspensions.
Pettine also admitted it was a bit frustrating getting ready for the season with the Gordon suspension hanging over their heads.

“There’s certainly a level of frustration because we’ve known the news for so long,” Pettine said. “It’s just a holding pattern and I understand that the league has a process that they have to go through and there’s other things that they’re dealing with and we respect that. But at the same time it is difficult because it really will affect our preparation for the season.”

Not having one of your best players tends to do that.

Permalink 61 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
61 Responses to “Mike Pettine noticed Josh Gordon doesn’t go all-out”
  1. joeflaccoallday says: Jun 11, 2014 9:02 AM

Keep your head up Josh.

2. tokyofilthblaster says: Jun 11, 2014 9:11 AM

Since when is suspension from the Browns considered “punishment”?

3. jjb0811 says: Jun 11, 2014 9:13 AM

A stoner for a WR and a drunk for a QB. Factory of sadness continues.

4. abninf says: Jun 11, 2014 9:15 AM

Send his butt home for a time out. Put him in with the practice squad. Do something besides cry to the media, be a coach.

5. gainofivefirstdown says: Jun 11, 2014 9:15 AM

It’s time now, Josh, you will need to decide– are you going to go the route taken by Chris Henry (rip), or Cris Carter?

Please don’t waste all your talent. Go get the help you need on this suspension, work hard on getting better & face your demons head-on. No one, not the team or family, friends, ONLY YOU can do this, and the time is now on this soon to be long suspension.

6. bishopslappytruelove says: Jun 11, 2014 9:17 AM

Cannabis Amotivational Syndrome?

7. oakfolk says: Jun 11, 2014 9:27 AM

Is Mary Kay Cabot the only reporter in Cleveland?

8. smalltownqb says: Jun 11, 2014 9:28 AM

It is ridiculous that NFL players are getting suspended for Cannabis-Use.

9. nyyjetsknicks says: Jun 11, 2014 9:30 AM

Has crazy talent and athleticism but lacks a brain.

10. spasticpickle says: Jun 11, 2014 9:31 AM

joeflaccoallday – I believe you meant keep your head held “high” when talking about Gordon

11. campcouch says: Jun 11, 2014 9:32 AM

oakfolk says:
    Jun 11, 2014 9:27 AM

Is Mary Kay Cabot the only reporter in Cleveland?
    ———————————————————-

nah,she just has this real mad-on for the team so people like publishing her hate of the franchise that helps her earn.

12. hehatemyfootballteam says: Jun 11, 2014 9:34 AM

He isn’t fighting for a job. As long as he brings it on game days like he has in the past I am fine with his not going all out. But if he is missing assignments, in the wrong place or screwing up others than I’m not fine.

13. drinkdabeers says: Jun 11, 2014 9:35 AM

spasticpickle says:
    Jun 11, 2014 9:31 AM
    —-
    Nope. Pretty sure he meant “keep your head up”

14. omegalh says: Jun 11, 2014 9:43 AM

Josh Gordon is at the cross roads of wasting his talent or being next to megatron as the best in the game. He dominated with Wedden last season. Hoping for him to play.

15. Patskrieg dot com says: Jun 11, 2014 9:43 AM

Yeah Gordon sure does suck. The Browns will be sooo much better off without him this year. In all fairness he might be a little worn out from being the only one who did anything on the Browns offense last year.

16. thebirdofprey2 says: Jun 11, 2014 9:44 AM

I think the real story is why is the coach calling out his players in the media? I noticed this same thing before with Manziel- good coaches address it with the player and keep it in house not giving the media fuel.

I watched Jim Mora Jr. throw people under the bus when he got his chance to be head coach and he was done after 1 year.

17. notthetroll says: Jun 11, 2014 9:45 AM

I was gonna work hard at practice, but I got High…
    I got pulled over by the cops, because I was high….
    I got a year long suspension and I know why…
    because I got high because I got high because I got high.

18. glb15 says: Jun 11, 2014 9:49 AM

Time to fish or cut bait with this sad sack. He will always be a doper and the Browns would be best served to move on and not have the yearly angst on whether he tests positive or not. It’s obvious he doesn’t give a tinkers damn for his teammates or his career or the man would know what the rules are and abide by them. When you throw away millions just to spark one, you have to be labeled “Stupid”.

19. politicallyincorrect says: Jun 11, 2014 9:52 AM

what a dumb azzz… kid looks to be breaking through as the next elite WR.. then all this crap..

20. semperspartans says: Jun 11, 2014 9:56 AM

hehatemyfootballteam says:
    “As long as he brings it on game days like he has in the past I am fine with his not going all out.”

So you’re fine with the fact that your DB’s are going against someone that is going half way and then on game days get burned because they haven’t been able to practice against someone full speed? (you’re lucky you do have some good DB’s there) You’re fine with your QB unable to get an accurate gauge of timing because he isn’t going full speed in practice? You’re fine with spacing and timing of everything being different than it would be in games????

If you think being lazy in practice is ok and doesn’t affect other parts of the team and other players then you are delusional and are a fan of exactly the right team. Thinking like this makes losers, not winners.

21. rwhite84 says: Jun 11, 2014 9:57 AM

A tall speedy deep threat that doesn’t himself, Sound familiar? (See Randall Gene Moss)

22. rwhite84 says: Jun 11, 2014 9:58 AM

psuh himself* I meant.

23. jscruisen says: Jun 11, 2014 10:01 AM

Pettine has the insight to criticize the best receiver in the NFL, yet he’s all lovey dovey with his rookie, compulsive drinking QB? He has no problem with his self indulged, public display partying face of the Browns Rookie doing what he wants. I’m sure Johnnys giving 100% hung over with lack of sleep in practice, right Mike?
    The people that say this isn’t even training camp needs to understand one thing. A public person represents themselves on who they truly are on a daily basis. Looks like double standards are alive and well in Cleveland!

24. Andrew says: Jun 11, 2014 10:11 AM

Legalize it, don’t criticize it

25. mightbegoingtohellforthis says: Jun 11, 2014 10:13 AM

26. eloso1 says: Jun 11, 2014 10:17 AM

When someone asks an athlete/coach a question and they answer it honestly I don’t get why everyone has to twist it in to some kinda controversy. Reading the context of how the subject came up in the actual link to the story not the cherry picked words of nbc football talk it’s mentioned that we noticed(as in media) he was held out of 11-11 activities and they mentioned his effort was questioned last season as well. He said he noticed it too and talked to the player and addressed it. Why is it a big deal?

27. qdog112 says: Jun 11, 2014 10:21 AM

Further proof that Pettine is having a problem determining what he should say to the media and not.

How does he criticize his best player and give excuses for Johnny Bieber? You can see that he may be a good coach, but lacks media savvy.

I don’t give him 100% of the blame and I have a hard time blaming Farmer. This mess has the owner’s fingerprints all over it. It’s a by-product of the Manziel Circus.

28. madmax80 says: Jun 11, 2014 10:22 AM

Drew Brees wants an explanation.

29. peytonsneck18 says: Jun 11, 2014 10:32 AM

Trent Richardson for.johnny.bust, colts.win again

30. irishinyourface says: Jun 11, 2014 10:38 AM

BEAST!

31. 1rockyracoon says: Jun 11, 2014 10:58 AM

How is it hard to get ready for the season? It is certain that Gordon will be suspended at least for the first part of the season. The only part the team doesn’t know is if he will be suspended for the entire season or not.

32. atthemurph says: Jun 11, 2014 11:02 AM

“Trent Richardson for.johnny.bust, colts.win again”

How can it be a win when Richardson sucks AND costs more? I’d take a chance on Manziel over Richardson because at least Johnny hasn’t proven he sucks in the NFL yet. That in and of itself is enough to consider Cleveland the flat out winner in that trade.

33. hehatemyfootballteam says: Jun 11, 2014 11:09 AM

semperspartans remember Josh Gordon going at half speed is like the rest of the leagues full speed just ask aqib talib

34. peytonsneck18 says: Jun 11, 2014 11:13 AM

Trent Richardson bonus was fully paid by the Browns, so tag in Johnny bonus n salary n Colts still win

35. bucksnknucks says: Jun 11, 2014 11:29 AM

Colts fans are in denial if they still think somehow they did not get fleeced with Trent Richardson.

36. weepingjebus says: Jun 11, 2014 11:29 AM

Which came first, the suspension or the wandering around in a drugged haze?

37. rcali says: Jun 11, 2014 11:34 AM

Wake up coach. He’s already communicated what’s most important in his life. Ur not changing that. He won’t be around anyway this year so move on to the players that will be.

38. ronarch13 says: Jun 11, 2014 11:39 AM

I was gonna be the best WR, but I got high…..
    I was gonna lead the league, but I got high…..
    La da da da da da La, Da Daaa,
    La da da da, La da da da, La da da daaa

39. vikinganswer says: Jun 11, 2014 11:55 AM

NO WR can go all out on every play because teams THROW TOO MUCH. Not realistic to expect them to either. You only have so many 40 yard routes in you in a row before you are tired. These coaches are clueless.

40. granadafan says: Jun 11, 2014 11:58 AM

Allan Iverson approves of Gordon’s effort in practice.

41. granadafan says: Jun 11, 2014 12:07 PM

“mightbegoingtohellforthis says: Jun 11, 2014 10:13 AM
    Josh Gordon is not wasting his talent. He is being denied the opportunity to showcase it due to outdated and ignorant NFL rules.”
    =========================================

Delusional. Marijuana is still illegal in most states, and especially in Ohio where Cleveland resides. Instead of whining about the laws/ rules, try following the rules/ laws until they are changed. Playing in the NFL is a PRIVILEGE, not a right.

42. bullcharger says: Jun 11, 2014 12:20 PM

Coaches calling players out in public never works. Protect your team and correct their mistakes in private. You can hate on Belichick all you want, but he never talks badly about a player in public and consistently says that every player and coach needs to improve (including himself and Brady). Players don’t want a coach telling reporters they are lazy.

43. bullcharger says: Jun 11, 2014 12:33 PM

Andrew says:Jun 11, 2014 10:11 AM

Legalize it, don’t criticize it

————–

Even if it were legal, Gordon likely would still have a problem. It’s still substance abuse if it is legal or illegal.

44. boctavious says: Jun 11, 2014 12:41 PM

I am a Browns fan. I love Josh Gordon. But I’m really upset with him for putting himself and the team in this position. Stupid. He is the best WR is the NFL. I don’t smoke weed. But i used to. I quit years ago bc i wanted to be the best at my job. I fail to see how smoking weed has any affect on an NFL player’s game performance(other than negatively).

45. gallogj says: Jun 11, 2014 12:47 PM

Don’t blame the NFL rules for Gordan’s problems! Until the rule is changed, he’s being paid good money to follow it! Ask Ricky Williams whether throwing his career away for a plant was worth it. So much talent wasted because there’s nothing between the ears.

46. Matt dog from C-town says: Jun 11, 2014 12:53 PM

As a Browns fan i hate to say it….but he should sit the year out, not for the pot, but for the stupidity….you have to be hard on a knuckelhead like that….real hard!!!!!!!!!!!!

47. nickster31 says: Jun 11, 2014 12:58 PM

While I agree that weed SHOULD be legal (if for medicinal if nothing else), and think that a year suspension is WAY too serious, when people are getting less for DUI and beating their girlfriend.

The point is, currently, weed is a banned substance. If Gordon would have been smart, and stayed clean for a month before he was going to take a test EVERYONE knew was coming, he could have smoked out the next 11 months like everyone else in the league.

I think this suspension isnt because he smokes weed, but because he is too stupid to not know when he is going to be tested.

48. tanstewie says: Jun 11, 2014 1:07 PM

So Mary Kay gets credit for retyping an interview she didn’t conduct? The interview was with Dustin Fox and Adam the Bull. Mary Kay has never reported news, she rereports what others discover first. The plain dealer has the worst all time beat reporters

49. thenuttts says: Jun 11, 2014 1:13 PM

“We’re talking about practice. I mean listen, we’re sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we’re talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it’s my last but we’re talking about practice man.”

50. thefiesty1 says: Jun 11, 2014 1:20 PM

Save yourself and maybe they’ll drop you and you can then go play with a real team.

51. brownsclown says: Jun 11, 2014 1:27 PM

I hope this is not the high water mark for Coach Pettine’s observancy skills.

Even Mike Dumbturdi recognized that Gordon doesn’t go all out in practices and he recognized this before he was fired!

52. johnnyjagfan says: Jun 11, 2014 2:18 PM

Voluntary workouts. Go “all out”? C’mon. The league doesn’t even know if he’s playing football this year. Ask Sean Lee how that rook”s “going all out” is going. It’s otas. Not even camp. It’s still Spring. He’s the only guy ever to go 200+ 2 weeks straight. As a Brown. With those QBs. Leave him alone there’s 90 players on the field. You’ll end up w/ 53. Find someone else to bitch at.

53. ronarch13 says: Jun 11, 2014 2:33 PM

Well, he was benched today. Don’t want to try? Don’t want to use your skills? Don’t want to stay clean? GOODBYE!

54. jebronjames says: Jun 11, 2014 3:07 PM

josh gordon passed out in a taco bell drive thru at baylor…he’s not going to change

55. codiablo says: Jun 11, 2014 3:16 PM

It’s been rumored mike pettine only goes all out at the brunch buffet & next years unemployment line.

56. sourdieszel says: Jun 11, 2014 3:39 PM

Legalize it already. Let the man play!

57. wrdtoyrmama says: Jun 11, 2014 3:49 PM

Solution seems obvious to me.
    Tape a joint to the football, then you’ll see ol’ Josh getting after 420%…..

58. holmania85 says: Jun 11, 2014 4:16 PM

I just don’t get why the NFL includes pot in their PED categories? Can’t wait til the owners and NFLPA agree to remove marijuana from the list. It seems to only becomin more of a headache now that two states (that have NFL franchised whitin them, they were both just featured in the Super bowl) have levalized the substance for public consumption.

59. gritzblitz66 says: Jun 11, 2014 6:13 PM

If I was a star player who’s guaranteed to make the roster I wouldn’t go all out either. Look at all the players to go down so far Sean Weatherspoon, Sean lee, etc. Train, keep yourself in football condition, and save full speed for Sundays.

60. coloradofort says: Jun 11, 2014 6:52 PM

Even if he went all out and was injured he has a year to recover……….that’s good news

61. abigbuck99 says: Jun 18, 2014 8:34 PM

If I remember right Jim Brown didn’t practice well after he established himself. He turned out o.k.