Rob Chudzinski all over the building for the Colts

Cleveland Browns v Indianapolis Colts Getty Images

Rob Chudzinski could have been on his way to the beach right now, cashing big checks from the Browns while doing so.

Instead, he’s working with a Costanza-esque title for the Colts, the special assistant to the head coach.

I wasn’t going to sit and do nothing,” Chudzinski told Stephen Holder of the Indianapolis Star. “My wife would have thrown me out of the house by now.”

“There’s nothing too big or too small I won’t do. That’s why I’m here.”

While there was some concern that the former Panthers offensive coordinator might step on the toes of Colts play-caller Pep Hamilton, it turns out Chudzinski is spending as much of his time working with the Colts defense.

“I can sit down with Chud for a good 30, 40 [minutes] to an hour and just melt through stuff that he did in Carolina and what he did in Cleveland as well,” defensive coordinator Greg Manusky said. “It’s a great addition for me to have a guy like that from an offensive perspective. Even though [Pagano] is here, it’s still a defensive perspective. … I understand, ‘OK, I want to beat this protection.’ But how do you actually beat it?. … [Chudzinski explains] ‘Here’s what the guard’s thinking. This is what the center’s thinking.’ That helps me to come up with something that’ll beat that protection.

“When we’re breaking down tape of other teams we’re going to be playing, it’s great to sit with him and [learn] why are they doing those things? You never really know as a defensive coordinator because you’re never in those [offensive] meetings. When I sit with him for those hours, I’m listening to what he’s thinking. It’s those little things.”

Chudzinski can also bring some valuable insight to the AFC North, which the Colts will play this year.
Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill
19 Responses to “Rob Chudzinski all over the building for the Colts”
  1. scotrugby says: Jun 11, 2014 6:00 PM

Good coach. I really do think he got a raw deal in Cleveland. It was the clown college in the front office that ruined things. Chud had his team playing hard and deserved at least one more year to prove he could do it.

Also thumbs up for the George Costanza reference. Greatest character in the history of TV IMO.

2. thestrategyexpert says: Jun 11, 2014 6:02 PM

Haslam is just giving the Colts an entitled rebate after that qualifying Richardson purchase?

3. watchfullhose says: Jun 11, 2014 6:04 PM

The colts are lucky to have a guy like Chad at their disposal.

4. zeedoubleyou says: Jun 11, 2014 6:15 PM

What an asset. Thanks Brownies!

5. glaedrfly says: Jun 11, 2014 6:19 PM

He’s got to give away secrets just to stay relevant? Teams pick up players to pick their brains before they release them. How long is Chud good for?

6. pookeye says: Jun 11, 2014 6:34 PM

man, I just wanted to say Chud got a raw deal in cleveland, and I think the owner knows this too. We didn’t have a qb worth a damn, and i thought the D last year was good, just was out in the game way too long. Chud was aggressive given what he had. really felt it was a bad idea to let him go. I will blame this on Banner and Lambordo, how do you hire someone and let him go after year 1, thats ridiculous. I’m glad the owner had some sense and realized the problem started with both banner and lombardi… ray farmer was a great GM in the making and giving him that shot, seems just right…. in fact everything seems right now… anything without lombardi and banner seems right now.

7. coloradofort says: Jun 11, 2014 6:50 PM

Whatever, he got paid and now he can just kick around the league for the rest of his life….and good for him.

If only I could get fired with that kind of severance.

8. schmitty2 says: Jun 11, 2014 6:52 PM

Giving him only 1 year to coach a team with a horrible qb and no running game showed the glaring ineptness of the Browns front office. Browns fans deserve a winner probably more then any other professional sports teams fans in America but sadly with decision making like this…they may never see that day.

9. kev86 says: Jun 11, 2014 6:59 PM

Sounds like a fun job

10. buckeyeinca says: Jun 11, 2014 7:07 PM

“And the best part is, he’s doing it for a cut rate, since the Browns are already paying him to do it.”

Wait. What??? I’m sure the Colts are paying him too, on a completely separate agreement.

11. thegreatgabbert says: Jun 11, 2014 7:33 PM

Chud is hoping that when they get tired of him at the facility, his wife will take him back in.

12. charman11 says: Jun 11, 2014 8:46 PM

Im a long time Browns fan and I know Chud is from here and all and I/we really wanted him to be the one. But the team wasn’t playing for him, well maybe they were but if so no thanks. That pitsburg game that we needed to win coming off the bye week and they played Scared.. Right then I said nope he’s not the one get rid of him. I did because if you have a bye week or even if you dont but your playing pitsburg at home and ya kinda need this game and you come out and play like they did thats all on the coach if you ask me. Anyway right then I was and am good with canning him after one year.

13. johnnydom says: Jun 11, 2014 9:56 PM

If he was such a great coach and offensive minded genius why did Cam Newton’s production go way up after he left Carolina? He’s an average coach that got a head coaching job he didn’t deserve.

14. ytownjoe says: Jun 11, 2014 10:07 PM

Best of luck to Chud. We’ll never know how good of a head coach he could have been. He didn’t have much to work with. No running game and Weeden at QB.

15. pfu2 says: Jun 11, 2014 10:14 PM

Indy was sooo excited to get Trent Richardson & they should be just as excited to get Chud, he will perform just as well as Trent did!

16. jacobknicks says: Jun 11, 2014 10:29 PM

Sounds more Dwight schrute-ish than constanza-esque

17. klroot says: Jun 11, 2014 11:14 PM

Chud was handicapped, by Joe Banner, & Mike Lombardi, who decided to not draft players in the draft, decided to not get a fullback for the running game, and traded away their running back to the Colts in week # 3. Never got Chud a quality Q after Hoyer was injured.
    I wish Chud the very best, he got the a raw deal.

18. bigpoppa5501 says: Jun 12, 2014 12:49 AM

Wonder if they gave him the Penske file?

19. pacodawg says: Jun 12, 2014 7:38 AM

Man was he an awful head coach