Jason Garrett hopes to speak to Kyle Orton soon

Kyle Orton AP

Dez Bryant thinks Brandon Weeden is doing a great job at quarterback for the Cowboys this spring, but the team would still like to get Kyle Orton back into the fold to give them options in the event Tony Romo goes down at some point in the 2014 season.

While Orton has reportedly told the team that he wants to retire, he hasn’t said it directly to coach Jason Garrett. Garrett said Thursday that he hasn’t spoken to the quarterback, who shares the same agent, about his plans for next week’s mandatory minicamp or the season in general, but has been trying to make a connection.

“I haven’t spoken with him directly,” Garrett said, via the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “I’m trying to get with him. He’s trying to get with me. And hopefully we have a good conversation.”

Orton’s possible retirement plans are complicated by the need to pay back $3 million of his signing bonus to the Cowboys. He also has a $3.25 million salary for the 2014 season, which makes for a pair of good financial reasons to put off retirement a little longer.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
22 Responses to “Jason Garrett hopes to speak to Kyle Orton soon”
  1. dccowboy says: Jun 12, 2014 5:32 PM

Kind of odd that a guy would want to give up $6.25 million ($3.25 million salary that would be guaranteed the first day of the season + $3 million in bonus already paid) instead of essentially holding a clipboard for 3-4 months.

There has to be something more to it.

2. davikes says: Jun 12, 2014 5:32 PM

I think I’m going to change my name to Kyle Orton and show up. Cake job.

3. scrp2 says: Jun 12, 2014 5:47 PM

Coach Garrett went on to say that he left a message with Orton’s secretary. Apparently there’s layers you need to go through before you get to the big man.

4. colinisgod says: Jun 12, 2014 6:02 PM

Jason is the worst coach in the league, he is not even close to Jim Harbaugh.

5. logicalvoicescowboybrother says: Jun 12, 2014 6:06 PM

$6.25 m to sit on the bench and hold a clipboard ~ It must be hard! He played 1 game last year!

6. brassknuckles47 says: Jun 12, 2014 6:17 PM

With Romo’s back the way it is, Orton is afraid that he WILL have to play. Knowing that he will be play for the Cowboys, he is VERY AFRAID that he WILL have to play.

7. notthetroll says: Jun 12, 2014 6:17 PM

He wants to be traded or released. Cut the 3m check neckbeard.

8. sandersmarcus10 says: Jun 12, 2014 6:24 PM

I wouldnt want a guy that is affraid he will lose his back up job to Weeden, havent you seen this guy play. I would be there will all smiles

9. 4thqtrsaint says: Jun 12, 2014 6:31 PM

“Trying to get with?” Just pick up the damn phone. How hard is it?

10. brownsclown says: Jun 12, 2014 6:39 PM

If WE DONE is your first line of defense if something happens to Romo you want to be talkin to a whole bunch of people!

11. oliverduckhunt says: Jun 12, 2014 6:46 PM

Please, let him retire!

12. edelmanfanclub says: Jun 12, 2014 6:58 PM

He doesn’t want to play. Whatever its his choice. Let him retire.

13. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Jun 12, 2014 7:53 PM

It’s surprising to me that Garrett hasn’t spoken to Orton long before now to figure out if he will have him next year or not. Something doesn’t seem right here.

14. fordmandalay says: Jun 12, 2014 8:16 PM

The Cowboys train-wreck should pull the Jets circus.

15. thereyougo2 says: Jun 12, 2014 8:25 PM

This Garrett is quite an organizer. He can’t connect on a phone call since , what, February!

16. thefirstsmilergrogan says: Jun 12, 2014 9:06 PM

heres the conversation when it happens…

Garrett: Kyle, are you playing this year?

Kyle: That all depends. If you want to save the salary and not chase the signing bonus, I’ll retire. But if you want to chase the signing bonus, I’m showing up and you pay the $3.25M salary as well as the bonus. The choice is yours….

Garrett: Actually, its not my choice, its Jerry’s….

Kyle: O.K. I should have known. Talk to him and let me know before mandatory minicamp….

17. cowpiesnotcowboys says: Jun 12, 2014 9:38 PM

Playing on a perennial non-contender has worn him down to the point that he’d rather forego $6.25M than suffer through another season on this team. He’s obviously angling to get cut. Can you blame him?

18. thesmartestmanever says: Jun 13, 2014 12:27 AM

what does it say about that classy organization down there in big D when someone would not only lose 3 mil, but would also have to pay back 3 mil just to avoid putting that jersey back on?

is it possible that while we think it’s crazy to even consider such a move maybe, just maybe Kyle Orton is the smartest man in Texas?

19. mommafrica says: Jun 13, 2014 6:03 AM

You’ve got the same agent but y
    you can’t connect! Who’s Orton’s secretary-general wife. Clearly he wants to be a starter. Common sense is that you know Romo has a bad back and factor in age. You may not be on the bench for long. But it wasn’t like you made a difference the past year when you did get your chance. You looked like twins at the end of the day. I’m clipboarding it straight to $ paradise. Healthy. No concussions. Then retire.

20. mortwannabe says: Jun 13, 2014 6:54 AM

Went to Purdue with Orton and spoke to him. Jason your not missing anything.

21. cueghost says: Jun 13, 2014 10:41 AM

Jerry, I swear I’ll take back all the bad things I’ve said about you if you’ll PLEASE JUST FIRE GARRETT ALREADY!!!

22. mtntexas says: Jun 19, 2014 8:32 PM

Local sports reporter knocks on Orton’s front door and Orton answers with checkbook in hand. What’s the big deal? Is this a diversionary ploy?