Karlos Dansby loves the Browns, and Karlos Dansby

Dansby Getty Images

One of the more underrated players and personalities in the NFL over the past decade or so has been linebacker Karlos Dansby.  Now that he has joined the Browns after stops with the Cardinals, Dolphins, and Cardinals again, Dansby has plenty of confidence in his abilities — and in his new team’s potential.

“The plan was to go to the best division in football and show the world what I got, and how I measure up,” Dansby told Takeo Spikes and Alex Marvez of SiriusXM NFL Radio regarding Dansby’s decision to sign with the Cardinals last year after being cut by Miami.  “Totally dominated the whole division.  Totally dominated.  Took a team that was 5-11 and they probably like ranked last in run defense.  And we went from last to No. 1 in run defense.  That’s pretty stellar, man.  I thought I was going to win the [NFL] defensive player of the year, to be honest.”

Actually, the Cardinals were 28th in 2012 against the run.  But they were indeed No. 1 in 2013.

So why did he pick the Browns?

“Me going to Cleveland, the money was sweet,” Dansby said.  “The money was unexpected.  Let’s get it straight, the money was unexpected.  I wasn’t expecting that money.  But they gave it to me because they respect me.”

And how will the Browns fare in 2014?

“We’re loaded, man,” Dansby said.  “We’re really loaded, man.  And I can’t wait until we get going to show the world what we really have in Cleveland.  We’ve got something special.  Really special.”

It’s been a long, long time since that’s been the case in Cleveland.  It’s overdue and deserved, and maybe it’s time for the Browns to finally rise.

Permalink 55 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Rumor Mill
55 Responses to “Karlos Dansby loves the Browns, and Karlos Dansby”
  1. Gordon says: Jun 13, 2014 11:47 PM

I love when players are honest about their free agency choices. He went to the team that offered the most money. No shame in admitting that. I’d take the job that offers me the most money as well.

Also love his ridiculously irrational confidence.

2. redzona says: Jun 13, 2014 11:52 PM

Last time I checked Karlos, football is a team sport and though you contributed big, there are ten other players that allowed you to do what you do that you seem to forget to mention. Glad your arrogance is gone. We’ll see how special you are in Cleveland.

3. chawkup says: Jun 13, 2014 11:58 PM

Gotta love the honesty!

4. thestrategyexpert says: Jun 14, 2014 12:08 AM

Yeah this team should win the division. If they don’t, then they could have if they made all the opposite QB choices each week. Choose wisely now!

5. ketch20too says: Jun 14, 2014 12:13 AM

He just left the best division in football

6. pacodawg says: Jun 14, 2014 12:23 AM

Very dangerous football team

7. osovol says: Jun 14, 2014 12:26 AM

Oh good, one of my beloved Cleveland Browns players is running his mouth. Because as a die-hard Browns fan, I can attest to how stellar this team is year-in and year-out. Our fans and players totally have the right to talk trash with our continued dominance of the AFC North…

8. footballchic777 says: Jun 14, 2014 12:27 AM

He is speaking defensively, right??? Because I don’t see it on the offense….

9. sdo4540 says: Jun 14, 2014 12:37 AM

Dansby only plays well in AZ.

10. ridnaway says: Jun 14, 2014 12:41 AM

The Brown indeed appear to have bettered themselves. But Karlos needs to realize this is a team game. Hopefully someone can gently break that to him, maybe during his pre-game mani-pedi.

11. jakeplummersghost says: Jun 14, 2014 12:51 AM

Actually, you just left the best division in football.

12. pfu2 says: Jun 14, 2014 1:02 AM

5 of the Browns 6 pro bowl players last year were young. Sometimes you have to pay for an experienced leader.

13. bigsowce604 says: Jun 14, 2014 1:08 AM

I hope The Browns have a good season and really shake up the AFC North. Dansby obviously will assist in that in a big way and I bet the Cardinals wish they still had him.

14. delusionalcardsfan says: Jun 14, 2014 1:09 AM

Sad to see ya go but you gotta take the loot if they’re stupid enough to sign the check. Enjoy the next two years before they cut ya.

15. wdcskins says: Jun 14, 2014 1:26 AM

Darnell Dockett doesn’t miss a chance to call this guy out as selfish, running for the money, and Dockett’s been a good friend of his for a long time. It’s not like 99.5% of us wouldn’t cash in when the chance presents itself, but DDock is sure smarting from Dansby’s bolting, and truth be told, he’ll be missed. Especially with DWash out, too. The Cards D won’t be quite the same in 2014.

16. jkampel20 says: Jun 14, 2014 1:34 AM

Dansby is a great player, no doubt.

That said, I can’t help but feel as though he’s a complete tool every time I hear him interviewed.

17. craniator says: Jun 14, 2014 1:35 AM

It’s amazing how Dansby is supposedly underrated now , but when he was with Miami none of the writers here liked him. Just sayin’

18. ajgreenhof says: Jun 14, 2014 2:23 AM

Maybe its time for the Browns to finally rise? I’ve been hearing that for years now.

They’ve been doing the same thing they always do after 2 years or so. They toss money around to fit the new philosophy of their new coach and then they dump the coach after a short amount of time all while drafting busts year after year.

19. seattlesuperchronic says: Jun 14, 2014 3:06 AM

“Have we started the fire?”

“Yes, the fire rises.” (In my terrible Bane voice)

Why not hype your team up? Gets people all randy for the season to begin.

20. arzcardinals says: Jun 14, 2014 3:12 AM

And I lika da money…Dansby is good but he sounds like a fool in this clip.

21. clashpoint says: Jun 14, 2014 3:13 AM

This from a Steelers fan, I hope y’all get it together this year. The AFC North is the toughest division of all if them so far this century, and would be even more so if y’all weren’t dragging the slack. Competition drives excellence, look at the Ravens and Steelers for a good example. I’d also like to see the Browns and the Bengals have the same kind of rivalry that the Steelers and Ravens do. Both of you, get to work on that!

I really do respect the crap out of Carlos, he’s the guy that gets the D all riled up. I always thought his pregame rant was better than Ray Lewis’ was just because Carlos doesn’t do any stupid dances. Good luck this year, Brownies.

AFC North rules!

22. boobsanders says: Jun 14, 2014 3:39 AM

He sounds like Leon from the Budweiser commercials.

23. joetoronto says: Jun 14, 2014 4:33 AM

Wow, Carlos really loves himself some Carlos.

24. 12thmanindc says: Jun 14, 2014 5:32 AM

Straight up clown

25. trseann says: Jun 14, 2014 5:52 AM

I love his candor.

26. explosionsauce says: Jun 14, 2014 5:55 AM

There must’ve been some sarcasm in his dominated the whole division rant.

27. jshawaii22 says: Jun 14, 2014 6:38 AM

As a Seahawk fan… he may be right and we’re all glad he’s gone.

Arizona in the ONLY team to beat the Russell Wilson led Seahawks in two years in Seattle. The SF 49′ers are 0-3 during the same period, even though most of the talking heads rate them as the 2nd best team in the N.F.L.

Good-by, Karlos, Good-by!

js

28. kegowhisky says: Jun 14, 2014 6:50 AM

If there is such a thing, I hope they hold the 2014 Hot Air Ballooning Championship in Cleveland, because there is no shortage of hot air coming out of there!

29. tizomps says: Jun 14, 2014 7:03 AM

I love the, ‘show the world’ attitude NBA and NFL players have. The world doesn’t care. America? Yes…..but not the world.

30. Matt dog from C-town says: Jun 14, 2014 7:17 AM

The Factory of Gladness!!!!!

31. blackqbwhiterb says: Jun 14, 2014 7:27 AM

Wow!!! Dansby loves him some Dansby, don’t he?

32. 6thsense10 says: Jun 14, 2014 7:37 AM

I appreciate that Dansby came out and said he went to Cleveland for the money because in the NFL it is always about the money.

33. officialgame says: Jun 14, 2014 7:38 AM

Could the guy sound anymore mercenary talking about how “sweet” the money is? I have had it with all these off season proclamations about greatness coming from guys like Dansby who play for bad teams. There are a few great teams and several more on the cusp and the Browns aren’t one of them.

34. camdenyard says: Jun 14, 2014 7:52 AM

Dude, they gave you all that money not because they respect you…Clowny just overpaid for a free agent. They do it all the time.

35. joemammy says: Jun 14, 2014 8:01 AM

Damned right! Go BROWNS!!!

36. sewalters79 says: Jun 14, 2014 8:10 AM

Love this guy! Go Browns

37. phillycannon says: Jun 14, 2014 8:17 AM

Im speechless right now. But at least he’s honest about only going for the money!!

38. MichaelEdits says: Jun 14, 2014 8:34 AM

If we look at the Seattle Seahawks as a case study in how long it takes to recover from the Holmgren stench and become champions, the Cleveland Browns probably are due.

39. bengalguy says: Jun 14, 2014 8:43 AM

I don’t even know what to say. SMH!

40. annes22 says: Jun 14, 2014 8:47 AM

Good Luck in Cleveland Karlos, you will need it.
    It won’t be quite like South Beach, in fact not even close.

41. deerhuntinfool71 says: Jun 14, 2014 8:48 AM

Now thats what i want to hear. But better yet i want to see some dominance on the football field for 4 full quarters!! Go browns!!

42. tacomatiger says: Jun 14, 2014 8:50 AM

Hopefully they do get it together this year. They’ve been one of the the worst teams in any sport over the last 20ish years. Johnny football looks like he’s the size of a HS player, needs to bulk up if he wants to survive

43. floridaslonechargersfan says: Jun 14, 2014 8:50 AM

Did he really just say he single-handedly took the Cardinals from 5-11 to a team that “totally dominated the whole division” (that being the NFC West)?

And then he decided to go to the “best division in football.”

But I, and the rest of us, coulda sworn he just LEFT the best division in football.

Crazy times, Karlos, crazy times.

44. bengalskuta82 says: Jun 14, 2014 9:08 AM

I respect him for being honest.
    I love Cleveland because of the money. Its sweet! Yes Dansby,we get it

45. ytownjoe says: Jun 14, 2014 9:12 AM

Defense is solid. Now, can the Browns put up some points?

Who’s going to catch the ball?

46. erock0129 says: Jun 14, 2014 9:32 AM

I’m glad they paid him, while I love D’quell, Dansby IS an upgrade….and in my opinion, the Browns NEED some attitude. Go Browns.

47. jmblosser82 says: Jun 14, 2014 9:46 AM

No proven QB and a serious lack in RBs and WRs could hinder the dominance.

48. beachsidejames says: Jun 14, 2014 10:52 AM

After a decade at middle backer…Thats a long time to be at such hard hitting position. You have to wonder how much will be left in the tank as the season wears on. Always was good player but father time unforgiving.

49. ravens2xworldchamps says: Jun 14, 2014 11:09 AM

Browns will always be in the bottom of the afc north

50. phinatic29 says: Jun 14, 2014 11:20 AM

As a dolphin fan I have a ton of respect for Karlos Dansby. He had a stellar season last year with zona. Really out produced all 3 season in Miami. Good player no doubt but will he produce in Cleveland now that is is being paid? I agree with him on his point on Cleveland’s defense too, they have a ton of defensive talent on that team now, I think they can make some noise in the wide open AFC.

51. Kaz says: Jun 14, 2014 11:50 AM

That was a polite way of saying “because those fools overpaid!”

52. officialgame says: Jun 14, 2014 2:17 PM

What NFL team is worse then the Browns??? Got me!

53. oldcracker says: Jun 15, 2014 12:21 PM

With so many “new” things being in place, I don’t let my expectations get too high, just yet.

I am looking forward to watching the Browns defense dominate the NFL. I also believe this will be a year of painful “growth” for Mike Pettine and Johnny Manziel.

However, with everything considered, it should be a season of highs and lows but, a lot of fun to watch….as long as the new Browns beat the old Browns.

54. krehbieo14 says: Jun 15, 2014 11:12 PM

Karlos Dansby is quite the marketer. He sold the Browns (and himself) on the idea that he was the reason for the Cardinals turnaround. His inflated ego comes through in every interview he conducts. The Cardinals resurrected Dansby’s career NOT the other way around. Let’s see how Cleveland and it’s linebackers perform in comparison to Arizona. We will see in a few months who got conned.

55. mustangbryk says: Jun 16, 2014 8:13 AM

Dont think anyone will sleep on this Browns team. they are mean and nasty on defense. Offense can only improve over last year.