Packers players flocking to yoga studio

Tramon+Williams+Detroit+Lions+v+Green+Bay+SQA7vQrx8xCl Getty Images

Traditonally, the Packers are more Nitschke than namaste, but an increasing number of players are turning to yoga to help curb injuries.

According to Tyler Dunne of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, about 15 Packers players have become regulars at a small yoga studio in nearby De Pere, where insturctor Ryanne Cunningham is trying to teach them the value of staying flexible.

I’m not the savior,” Cunningham said. “But I care. I care about these guys and I want these guys to perform their utmost best on the field. That’s my goal for them, is to take their performance to the next level up. If I can. That’s what I can do with yoga.”

Cornerback Tramon Williams was the first regular at the studio, seeking out Cunningham after longtime wide receiver Terrell Owens swore by the value of yoga.

A growing number of Packers players are believers now, especially after a rash of hamstring injuries hurt the team in recent years.

Williams credits the program for his breakout season and his newfound resilience. But there’s still a stigma that yoga is for soccer moms in minivans, which keeps many players from embracing it.

“But it’s hard. It’s hard. That’s the thing guys realize,” Williams says. “They come in thinking it’s going to be an easy day. And guys are sweating like they had a whole day of practice.”

Players should seek out any avenue to keep their bodies strong, and keeping it flexible seems like a reasonable first step, since they can’t make plays or money if they’re standing on the sidelines.

Permalink 53 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Home, Rumor Mill
53 Responses to “Packers players flocking to yoga studio”
  1. GenXJay says: Jun 14, 2014 10:44 AM

lol. Gbtrolls, try and justify yoga for the rest of America. Please, just try to explain…we all await your awesome responses.

2. beerbratscheese says: Jun 14, 2014 10:47 AM

If it’s crazy and it works, then it’s not crazy.

On another note, I saw a picture of Ryanne working out with Randall Cobb on a Packers website. She’s considerably hotter than any woman to come out of Minnesota.

3. sdsmooth says: Jun 14, 2014 10:48 AM

The Vikings have never won a Super Bowl

4. thevikesarebest says: Jun 14, 2014 10:50 AM

Their fans should follow them,good lord when I see a packer fan,I stay a good distance away from them so they don’t roll over me or the ground begins to collapse from beneath them.at least those old washed up clowns on the o line and d line can stay in shape.

5. mp4pack says: Jun 14, 2014 10:58 AM

I want to see a picture of Ryanne Cunningham. That might help explain this whole thing.

6. gophersnot says: Jun 14, 2014 10:58 AM

Priceless!

After their workouts, they can go have tea together, get their hair done and go shoe shopping.

7. jimmysee says: Jun 14, 2014 11:03 AM

The community steps in to help the team.

That’s why Green Bay is unique and a provides the template for what professional sports should be.

8. mollywopper says: Jun 14, 2014 11:11 AM

The only thing lower than the Vikings QB rating, is the average of their fans football IQ.

9. tundra67 says: Jun 14, 2014 11:11 AM

The more flexibility and core strength built up, the more likely to make the plays (and win) when the game’s on the line.

Simple as that …

10. golforepar says: Jun 14, 2014 11:11 AM

The Packers always are trying to do the little things to stay on top of their game. In Minnesota they just hope can have season where they don’t take last place, instead of doing some thing about it.

11. jchipwood says: Jun 14, 2014 11:17 AM

Their probably just checking out the hot yoga instructor

12. blackandblueland says: Jun 14, 2014 11:26 AM

DDPyoga has changed my life for the better. So much more flexibility, strength, and weight loss than I’ve ever had. No joke.

13. classyjacklambert says: Jun 14, 2014 11:29 AM

Just guessing but I’m willing to bet Ryanne is super hot.

14. Aaron Rodgers Has Tiny Hands says: Jun 14, 2014 11:30 AM

The thought of B.J. Raji in yoga pants just made me a little sick to my stomach.

15. Frazier28/7 says: Jun 14, 2014 11:34 AM

packer fans have serious issues in regard to their extreme inferiority complex for the minnesota vikings, showing again how green and yellow is the color of vomit. ha! pack! ha! do they really forget detroit mopping the floor with them on thanksgiving or needing to face the two worst league defenses just to get to a tie and one victory without rodgers? that is one of the worst teams in the league minus aaron rodgers. ted thompson should be ashamed of the roster he has assembled and retire in embarrasment.

16. mackstrong2013 says: Jun 14, 2014 11:36 AM

In other news, they’ll be taking up jazz tap in an effort to increase endurance. In all seriousness though, how the hell does a health/fitness based business stay open in Wisconsin? Do they allow you to pay in gravy? This is all very confusing.

17. tonyc920 says: Jun 14, 2014 11:49 AM

YOGA ? Vikings fans think it’s a character from Star Wars.

18. mackstrong2013 says: Jun 14, 2014 11:57 AM

Nobody makes fun of others quite as horribly as packer fans.

19. filthymcfunny1 says: Jun 14, 2014 12:06 PM

She started this, what’s next fake nails!

20. packsoldier says: Jun 14, 2014 12:07 PM

Do all yoga instructors look like that? I may have to try yoga…

21. avr29 says: Jun 14, 2014 12:31 PM

The Seahawks have had mandatory team yoga sessions for the past 2 years after so many players showed up for (and loved) the initial voluntary sessions. All teams across all sports should make yoga a part of their regimen.

22. purpleguy says: Jun 14, 2014 12:46 PM

Hey, don’t knock a yoga lesson unless you’ve attended a class and watched everything from the back row. Then again, this studio is in De Pere, WI . . . . . never mind.

23. mrimpatient says: Jun 14, 2014 1:10 PM

I wonder how much of this has to do with a really hot yoga instructor (Ryanne Cunningham), plus all the other eye candy in the class where skin tight clothes and posing in provocative positions.

24. cheeseisfattening says: Jun 14, 2014 1:25 PM

So why is Aaron Rodgers there?

25. justsomerandomguy24 says: Jun 14, 2014 1:35 PM

True story: I tried yoga for the first time last week. It is a lot harder than you would think. It gives you a good stretch and works muscles I clearly have been missing from other workouts. If these guys think it will help prevent injuries, that is a competitive advantage which makes it smart to do.

Plus, it’s not like they are replacing their lifting sessions with yoga. So– worst case scenario– every hour players spend doing yoga is an hour they aren’t out in some situation where they might get into trouble.

26. squishman says: Jun 14, 2014 1:58 PM

Add yoga studios to what you can do in Greenbay. You can go bowling, go to a bar or do yoga. That’s about it.

27. steelersfanfromtheseventies says: Jun 14, 2014 2:02 PM

Aaron Rodgers Has Tiny Hands says:
    Jun 14, 2014 11:30 AM

Thanks alot pal!! I didnt really need that image in my head. LMAO!!!

28. gergie1957 says: Jun 14, 2014 2:24 PM

Yoga classes, Now isn’t that just cute.

29. onbucky96 says: Jun 14, 2014 3:08 PM

The Packers medical & trainning staff are so bad guys are doing YOGA? Lame. I cannot defend this America.

30. sonofad says: Jun 14, 2014 3:29 PM

No doubt the Vikings will promptly be trying to copy this latest cutting edge Packer advance in health and conditioning.

But sorry fellas, there’s more to winning 13 World Championships that just mimicking some yoga sessions.

31. Aaron Rodgers Has Tiny Hands says: Jun 14, 2014 3:47 PM

The next time Aaron Rodgers stretches across the goal line, you’ll know who to thank.

32. jchipwood says: Jun 14, 2014 4:34 PM

I will forever be greatful for yoga which inspired the yoga pants.

33. surfinbird1 says: Jun 14, 2014 4:41 PM

Nothing like a bunch of flocking Packers.

34. deltaoracle says: Jun 14, 2014 5:00 PM

The state bird of Minnesota is the Loon. It’s not a coincidence.

35. raiderapologist says: Jun 14, 2014 5:34 PM

I started taking yoga classes recently because I’m old as dirt and stiff as a board. Not only can I almost touch my toes again, the scenic views are worth the price of admission.

36. gbmickey says: Jun 14, 2014 5:44 PM

“The thought of B.J. Raji in yoga pants just made me a little excited”

Queen fans obsession lives on now they are even dreaming of the Packers!

Frazier you really have to bring up Detroit to try and bring down the division winning Packers because your team sucks so bad? That’s about as lame as it gets! Bwahahaha! Typical bandwagon fan.

37. bobnelsonjr says: Jun 14, 2014 6:01 PM

Let me remind people about Walter Payton.
    He was probably the most flexible player I have seen play in the NFL. He had a long and injury free career at a position that takes considerable blows to the body.

The Packers team is doing something known to reduce injuries, make better athletes, extend careers, which in turn means more and larger paychecks for the players.

If it makes them more like Walter Payton, good for them.

38. tangysizzl says: Jun 14, 2014 7:52 PM

I guess Viking fans heads will explode when they learn that their living God Adrian Peterson does yoga. What will you say then?

39. ariani1985 says: Jun 14, 2014 7:57 PM

This must be the secret to losing in the first round of the playoffs!

40. axespray says: Jun 14, 2014 9:08 PM

Aaron Rodgers Has Tiny Hands says:
    Jun 14, 2014 11:30 AM
    ——————————
    The thought of BJ Raji having more Superbowl rings on his hand than Moss, Carter, Randle, Fran, and AP combined brought a smile to my face.

41. purp1eone says: Jun 14, 2014 9:13 PM

TT is just a brilliant mind!!!! I know he had to be behind this, man TT you just know…….

more lombardis to come!!!!

go pack go!!!

42. stellarperformance says: Jun 14, 2014 9:47 PM

I haven’t read any of the negative posts. I don’t need to….and I know they’re there.

I just want to say how pleased I am that the Packer players recognize the advantage of thinking outside the box. Any advantage should be taken seriously. If the Viking players are stuck in the mindset of the same ‘ol same ‘ol eighties, as so many of their fans are, it’s their loss.

Long Live the Green Bay Packers.

43. stellarperformance says: Jun 14, 2014 9:51 PM

ariani1985 says:
    Jun 14, 2014 7:57 PM
    This must be the secret to losing in the first round of the playoffs!
    //////////////////////////////////////////

Not at all. It’s just one of the secrets to avoiding the basement of the division, but I have to admit I really don’t know what that is like.

Tell us….what’s it like?

44. ariani1985 says: Jun 14, 2014 10:26 PM

Then again we are talking about a culture that they fleece the fan base to buy fake stock to update an old outdated outhouse!

Go pack go, ahhhhhhhhhh!

45. stellarperformance says: Jun 14, 2014 10:40 PM

A fleeced fan base and a modified outhouse to play in, and somehow the a Packers still own the Vikings.

You must get tired of being lower than your own insults. What’s that like?

46. GenXJay says: Jun 14, 2014 10:57 PM

End of the day; yet, gbtrolls concluded that the yoga teacher is “beyond their reach” type hot…what a sorry bunch.

47. ariani1985 says: Jun 14, 2014 11:13 PM

Yoga, moose hunting, drinking, drinking and drinking. See there is plenty to do 8n wiscoooonsin!

48. ariani1985 says: Jun 15, 2014 12:23 AM

Own, own, own, I don’t brag about owning you! Better job, car, house ect, not a very stellar life for you!

49. linemanguy74 says: Jun 15, 2014 11:43 AM

No words necessary

50. winninaintsinnin says: Jun 15, 2014 12:44 PM

A soft team gets softer.

51. stellarperformance says: Jun 15, 2014 8:12 PM

What’s it like?

52. superjroch says: Jun 16, 2014 11:25 AM

Yoga = flexibility. Pretty simple. Poll every player on every team and ask them if it’s better to be more flexible or less flexible. Please post your results (hint: I already know the answer).

53. numba1wiscosportsfan says: Jun 16, 2014 12:42 PM

Yoga’s actually kinda sweet once you get into it. Makes m’legs feel good.