Terrell Thomas knows teams are concerned about his knee

Thomas Getty Images

In 2013, cornerback Terrell Thomas made an impressive return to the NFL after missing two seasons with a twice-torn ACL.  But after appearing in 16 regular-season games (including seven starts) and two preseason games with the Giants, Thomas hasn’t been able to find a new home.

Thomas told Alex Marvez and Zig Fracassi of SiriusXM NFL Radio that teams have concerns about the knee.

“I understand that,” Thomas said, “but I played in 18 games last year, and I’ve still got tread left on these tires.”

Thomas nevertheless realizes that, despite waiting more than three months to land with a new team since becoming a free agent, he may have to wait longer.

“This NFL game is not loyal,” Thomas said.  “It’s a part of business.  I understand it and I respect it.  As a veteran, I’m a plug-in starter.  I don’t need to go through OTAs, through minicamps to get reps. . . .  I can go in and play right now.  So I’ll be ready whenever my number’s called, whenever the right team picks me.  All I need is one team to love me.  All I need is one team to give me an opportunity.  My play speaks for itself.”

He said that a couple of teams have called, “but nobody has pulled the trigger.”  With the Lions cutting Chris Houston on Friday, there’s a chance they’ll be the ones to give Thomas his next chance.  Especially since there aren’t a lot of viable options on the veteran cornerback market.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Detroit Lions, Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
8 Responses to “Terrell Thomas knows teams are concerned about his knee”
  1. zackd2 says: Jun 15, 2014 5:53 PM

Concerns about knee?
    Or concerns about knee @ his current asking price?

Big difference

2. raiderapologist says: Jun 15, 2014 6:56 PM

Got to agree with zackd2. The Chargers, Chiefs, and Raiders could all use more depth at corner, just to name a few.

3. mrf47 says: Jun 15, 2014 8:13 PM

Terrell Thomas was the best player on the NY Giants defense in 2010 (100+ tackles and 5 INTs). This guy can play.

As a Giants fan, I hope we find a way to bring him back. Otherwise, I hope he gets a good opportunity somewhere else. But for the knee, he’d be considered a top 10 CB.

4. nyfootballgiants says: Jun 15, 2014 8:31 PM

As a NY Giants Season Ticket holder, I can’t tell you how many time last season I watched TT have receivers run right past him.

He was good in run support, is a terrific comeback story, and is a solid player.

But he is not a good corner – especially in coverage.

I’d love to see him picked up by someone and prove me wrong – but sadly I think the injuries took too much from him

5. nyfootballgiants says: Jun 15, 2014 8:32 PM

correction – Solid person – sadly no longer solid player

6. sumkat says: Jun 15, 2014 10:41 PM

Maybe if he was willing to make a move to safety?

7. kepickle says: Jun 16, 2014 4:41 AM

Thomas Davis had to take a large pay cut after his 3 Knee Surgery & well it worked out good for him & the team

8. audioflint says: Jun 16, 2014 3:27 PM

The Lions love to sign players with nagging injuries. Might as well bring him aboard…

He might be a diamond in the rough for “cheap.”