Dallas Clark to retire as a Colt

Dallas Clark AP

Dallas Clark is calling it a career, and returning to Indianapolis to make his retirement official.

The Colts announced today that Clark will officially retire as a member of the team, with a formal press conference set for Wednesday.

The 35-year-old Clark was the Colts’ first-round draft pick in 2003, and he played nine seasons for the team. He’s the all-time leader in Colts history for catches and touchdowns by a tight end.

After the Colts cut him in March of 2012, Clark played one season in Tampa Bay and one season in Baltimore. He was effective at times last season, catching 31 passes for 343 yards and three touchdowns for the Ravens, but he said this offseason that he wasn’t sure if he could find the right situation this year. It appears that he hasn’t found that situation, and now he’ll enjoy retirement.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
33 Responses to “Dallas Clark to retire as a Colt”
  1. joeflaccoallday says: Jun 16, 2014 4:15 PM

Great career.

2. jjackwagon says: Jun 16, 2014 4:15 PM

Translation…I got old and slow and now no one will sign me.

3. bassplucker says: Jun 16, 2014 4:16 PM

I like it when guys do it this way. He always seemed like a good guy and I wish him the best for the future. Very strong candidate for broadcast work, IMHO.

4. bobman2 says: Jun 16, 2014 4:19 PM

If not for all-time greats Gonzalez and Gates in the AFCW dominating the TE receiving scene in the 2000’s, Clark would have been regarded as a top TE for a solid five seasons. Colts fans will always think of him as such. Not a great blocker (but not bad by any means), he had good speed up the seams and insane hands, helping him make his share of no-look/one-handed grabs. Colts have had pretty good TE luck the past fifteen years with Dilger, Pollard, Clark, and now Allen and Fleener. (If only Gijon Robinson could have blocked Tim Dobbins!)

5. crownofthehelmet says: Jun 16, 2014 4:21 PM

Trying to snag errant throws from Flacco is enough to make the best of them want to retire.

6. andrewluck12 says: Jun 16, 2014 4:22 PM

Awesome.! Welcome home 44! Thanks for all the great memories.

7. xli2006 says: Jun 16, 2014 4:24 PM

One of the better receiving TEs in the last 10-15 years. Not much of a blocker, but his hands and routes were on par with anyone at the position and an ideal fit for those Manning offenses.

Not sure what his retirement plans are, but seems like a decent fit for a career in TV or Coaching. A solid player and a great person who could easily jump over to the business/broadcasting side of the NFL.

8. grumpyoleman says: Jun 16, 2014 4:26 PM

One of the best, enjoy your retirement.

9. weepingjebus says: Jun 16, 2014 4:28 PM

As a Pats fan, I can only quote Anchorman: “At the bottom of my gut, with every inch of me, I plain, straight hate you. But dammit, do I respect you!”

10. kepdogg23 says: Jun 16, 2014 4:29 PM

Thanks for the memories Dallas!!

11. jimfix says: Jun 16, 2014 4:29 PM

This guy was on a HoF trajectory until concussions and injuries started hurting him. Playing in the slant for Manning is murderous.

12. afcdomination says: Jun 16, 2014 4:30 PM

I like to see players do this. shows a lot of respect towards the organization.

13. rocketcrab says: Jun 16, 2014 4:32 PM

Thanks for the season that you gave the Ravens. Class act, I hope for nothing but the best for his future.

14. Goodell's Green Glasses says: Jun 16, 2014 4:40 PM

Six rings.

15. clssylssy says: Jun 16, 2014 4:44 PM

At least he is going out on his own terms after a NFL career he can be proud of. There’s still life after football, new horizons and opportunities for much more and he’ll be healthy enough to enjoy it all…not too shabby! Good Luck and Enjoy!

16. thefiesty1 says: Jun 16, 2014 4:51 PM

He should have gone to Denver with Peyton. He’d still have a couple of years left.

17. scoonie97 says: Jun 16, 2014 4:53 PM

I’d want to get the stank from Baltimore off as well.

18. ariani1985 says: Jun 16, 2014 5:02 PM

Come join the rancid roster in green bay!

19. deafcone says: Jun 16, 2014 5:05 PM

will he be a HOF as a TE or WR? LOL

20. goodtogo28 says: Jun 16, 2014 5:08 PM

retirement party at jim irsay’s crib. rsvp.

21. lnfinite says: Jun 16, 2014 5:09 PM

Classy exit Dallas…..

22. Joe Schmoe says: Jun 16, 2014 5:17 PM

He got all he could from his talent and opportunities. He walked on at Iowa as a linebacker and was converted to TE. He left early to go to the NFL because he was already 24 or 25 as a junior. He’s a classt guy and I enjoyed watching him play.

23. winstonjed44 says: Jun 16, 2014 5:32 PM

Loved this guy in Indy. Great safety blanket for Peyton and for a stretch he was one of the best TEs in the league. Best of luck to him.

24. mortimeryoung says: Jun 16, 2014 5:38 PM

[Young P. Manning, whispered]: Clark…

25. indyhorsepower says: Jun 16, 2014 6:39 PM

All too often you hear about the crap the players are getting themselves into, not enough of the good stuff. This guy was not self-promoting, a class act on/off the field, born to wear the horseshoe. As a season ticket holder (before games) he was always real patient signing autographs for the kids, especially during training camp, you couldnt ask for more. I hope they bring him back in some capacity, he is super intelligent and has a real passion for football, cant have enough of these guys in the organization.

26. getyourownname says: Jun 16, 2014 8:09 PM

Good guy, and nice to see him going out with a win over the stillers, even if beating them wasn’t such a big deal last year.

27. gbj11 says: Jun 16, 2014 8:21 PM

One of the greatest tight ends of all time, and a classy guy to boot. I had him on my fantasy teams and some years he scored more for me than all my wide receivers put together. Great career and I wish you all the best.

28. ddogdaddy says: Jun 16, 2014 8:33 PM

The guy had a smile on his face at all times. Try and find a picture of him without that big old country grin.

29. qdog112 says: Jun 16, 2014 8:57 PM

Finally, a player who most people don’t hate for being a player.

Hope it’s trend.

30. bornahawker says: Jun 16, 2014 10:23 PM

At Iowa I watched Clark catch a screen at the 5 yd line and go 95 for a TD. Right there I knew this guy was a beast! Go Hawks!

31. jetsfaninindy says: Jun 17, 2014 12:45 AM

He was a good (not great player). I guess I don’t understand the whole 1 day contract to retire with your old team. If the player and team were so loyal to each other, the player would have not been on another team. Who cares? At the end of the day, Clark was a good player. Nothing more, nothing less.

32. rutchaser says: Jun 17, 2014 8:30 AM

Great tight end for a lot of years. I always liked watching him.

33. obsession55 says: Jun 17, 2014 10:40 AM

You had a good run, 44!! I enjoyed watching you play, and always wondered how you made all those crazy catches with no gloves on! Hope the concussions dont have a lasting effect and you can enjoy retirement with your family. Good luck and thanks for giving everything you had