Marvin Harrison: I was just minding my own business

marvinharrison Getty Images

After news broke that someone shot at former Colts receiver Marvin Harrison last week, Harrison faced some questions about whether he had been involved in some kind of wrongdoing to precipitate the shooting. Harrison insists that’s not the case.

Instead, Harrison told the Indianapolis Star, he was simply driving down a street in Philadelphia around 3:20 a.m. on Saturday when he came upon a man who was being chased by two gunmen. Harrison let the man into his car to try to help, and then one of the gunmen shot at Harrison’s car.

I didn’t do anything but drive my car, pick a guy up and call 911,” Harrison said. “I just happened to be in the right place at the right time for this person. The unfortunate part is things are coming out negative. I had nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing to do with it. I was just driving, minding my own business.’’

The man who was being targeted, Judeau Brown, said Harrison was helping him and should be praised, not scrutinized.

Part of the reason Harrison is being scrutinized in this case is that he was tied to a previous shooting in Philadelphia: A gun belonging to Harrison was used to shoot a man in a 2008 incident, although Harrison was not charged in connection with that case.

Harrison says there’s no reason anyone should be criticizing him.

“I was getting negative phone calls and I didn’t know what anyone was talking about,” he said. “The only thing I can tell you is when these negative reports came out on Sunday, the first thing that came to my mind is the next time something like this happens, I’ll just put my head down and keep on going.”

Brown is thankful that Harrison didn’t put his head down and keep on going in the wee hours of Saturday morning.

Permalink 93 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
93 Responses to “Marvin Harrison: I was just minding my own business”
  1. ibreathefootball says: Jun 16, 2014 8:22 PM

Ok ok this one might not be his fault, but Harrison sure does always seem to be in the wrong place at the wrong time!

2. omniscientmoi says: Jun 16, 2014 8:23 PM

Sure you were, Marvin.

3. umainebearman says: Jun 16, 2014 8:26 PM

Philadelphia….. ’nuff said.

4. h0c2000 says: Jun 16, 2014 8:27 PM

Yes, just a good Samaritan. Minding his own business on his way to the early shift at 320AM. Sounds plausible.

5. jdphx says: Jun 16, 2014 8:28 PM

I always just “mind my own business”, when I’m out for that 3:30 am drive…

6. dickshotdogs says: Jun 16, 2014 8:29 PM

So was Aaron Hernandez.

7. edzo82270 says: Jun 16, 2014 8:30 PM

Marvin always could run the wheel route.

8. ryann252013 says: Jun 16, 2014 8:31 PM

Yeah…….

9. zimaman says: Jun 16, 2014 8:33 PM

as HOF Coach Bill “The Tuna” Parcells was famous for saying:

“nothing good happens after 1:00am”

10. aa1829 says: Jun 16, 2014 8:35 PM

Marv, how old are you? Do you have a wife and kids? What the heck are you doing out at 3:20 in the am.

11. dyhard32 says: Jun 16, 2014 8:40 PM

marvin gave his number out to this guy to call him. you would think he would not do this or or have anything to do with this gut or unless he did know him?

12. computojon says: Jun 16, 2014 8:43 PM

I’m glad you folks aren’t on a jury. “Guilty! GUILTY!!”

“Hey wait, we haven’t even called the first witness yet!”

13. wheezerswin says: Jun 16, 2014 8:44 PM

Minding your own business? At 3:20 am in philly? Picking up a total stranger being shot at? Riiiight. Harrison should have been locked up years ago. If he was minding his own business he would have been home at 3:20am.

14. blindzebras says: Jun 16, 2014 8:45 PM

3:20am. You pick up a male stranger who happens to be fleeing gunfire. And you think we’re crazy for thinking something isn’t adding up?

15. justintuckrule says: Jun 16, 2014 8:46 PM

Good observations from above posters about him being out at 3AM but my question is how did this guy get Harrison’s phone number to “tell him how grateful he was”?

If I’m picking up dudes running from bullets (big IF), I’m dropping them off somewhere and saying, “there’s the police station….later bro”. I’m not doling out my phone no. to them.

16. packerman1968 says: Jun 16, 2014 8:47 PM

The head line should read ” I was minding MY business” He knew what was going on. How many of you are going to let a perfect stranger in your car at 3:30 am? Especially one that is being shot at.

17. seachicken64 says: Jun 16, 2014 8:50 PM

pretty sure the colts are happy that he took his talents elsewhere. great receiver. history of doing really stupid things.

18. sportsfan18 says: Jun 16, 2014 8:52 PM

retired NFL star with many millions and you’re out in a bad area at 3:20 a.m.?

WHY?

What was the purpose?

Just out clearing your head?

Couldn’t sleep?

Why not drive in a better area since you just had to be out at that time of night and it was innocent and all?

19. thegreatgabbert says: Jun 16, 2014 8:52 PM

Marv was just being a Somewhat Shady Samaritan in this instance.

20. courtjester1234 says: Jun 16, 2014 8:54 PM

You see I was going out to get a cheese steak and as usual I just couldn’t pick between Gino’s or Pats, when all or a sudden… I mean what was I supposed to do? Besides he had the money I gave him to get the coke,er, coca-cola…To wash those delicious steak sandwiches down with. I feel God placed me there at that exact time to be able to help my fellow man. Have a “Blessed” Daye

21. canetic says: Jun 16, 2014 8:56 PM

Aaron Hernandez: “Me too!”

22. aldavis4president says: Jun 16, 2014 8:57 PM

Is it really that hard to believe?? Hes in west Philly, a shooting happens and he happens to be there. That sounds perfectly possible to me. I’m from the Bay Area. San Jose, Oakland east Palo Alto San Francisco etc have shootings on the regular.

23. kegowhisky says: Jun 16, 2014 8:58 PM

Life with Marvin seems like fun. I need to hang out and party with that guy!

24. robgilman says: Jun 16, 2014 8:59 PM

Well, it’s not illegal to be driving at 3am, and sounds like he did indeed save this guys life. Heroic to take the risk of picking the man up, regardless of who he is.

25. vikinganswer says: Jun 16, 2014 9:02 PM

Guns again. MOVE!!!

26. restorativejusticeprogram says: Jun 16, 2014 9:02 PM

Philly is such a rat-hole town that the only thing that sounds implausible about this story is that someone would actually stop to help someone out in that cesspit.

27. raymondtx says: Jun 16, 2014 9:03 PM

And…. Here is my number in case u ever get chased by two guys shooting at you again at 3:20 am.. Or pm, doesn’t matter. Just call me, what did you say your name was?

28. kd75 says: Jun 16, 2014 9:07 PM

I usually speed up when I hear gunshots driving around.

29. Wineshard says: Jun 16, 2014 9:14 PM

Well since he said “nothing” four times I believe him. If he would have stopped at three I would be skeptical.

30. thegreatgabbert says: Jun 16, 2014 9:18 PM

Burglers only got $500. No wonder they were trying to kill the guy.

31. bmd2099 says: Jun 16, 2014 9:18 PM

All this talk about 3:20am is absurd to say the least. The world doesn’t cease to exist at “not normal” times lol. If everyone was at home at 3:20am in this day and age services American’s use everyday and take for granted (like you jackasses using the Internet to write this drivel) would never be reliable and there would be constant interruptions in services during “normal” time. Life exists 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, any other perception is old fashioned and out dated for todays world. This is 2014, not 1954.

32. douchebigelow says: Jun 16, 2014 9:21 PM

In Philly…big surprise. Armpit of the eastern seaboard, that and Baltimore.

33. vaughnjoe says: Jun 16, 2014 9:22 PM

Oh wow thanks Marvin for letting me hop in the back of your truck. I was actually caught by my lovers fiancee and I had to jump out of the window from the second floor. If it wasnt for you driving by that night I wouldve been a dead man for sure.

Thanks again,

Random dude from PA

34. goodtogo28 says: Jun 16, 2014 9:23 PM

he was probably on his way to meet jim irsay. give him a break.

35. lakedog19352 says: Jun 16, 2014 9:24 PM

From my experience, when a guy starts off with, I was just minding my own business, usually the story ends badly and the storyteller is at least partially at fault…

36. theawkwardyears says: Jun 16, 2014 9:25 PM

“He was just helping me out at the right time. I’ve called him and told him how grateful I am, that he actually stopped and helped me out. He acted when I needed him. In my eyes, he really saved my life,” Brown said.”

Yeah, I usually just call Marvin Harrison when I need a ride to avoid getting shot…. You know because he is in my Framily Plan …not because we are both Gang members or nothin’ . .. Most people have Celebrity Athletes’ to call when they are in need.

37. packerman1968 says: Jun 16, 2014 9:25 PM

I just got done watching “Power” on Starz. I think I understand what was going on.

38. mackcarrington says: Jun 16, 2014 9:25 PM

This episode only proves that none of us really know these people. You worship them above your own families, buy and wear their jerseys, and then act so self-righteously outraged when you find out that they aren’t saints off of the football field.

39. seachicken64 says: Jun 16, 2014 9:26 PM

he’s going to have to step up his game if he wants to be mentioned with orenthal james and aaron hernandez.

40. mrfrostyj says: Jun 16, 2014 9:27 PM

Seems Plausible. I mean 3:20 AM is a normal time to be out and who wouldn’t give their phone number out to some random guy getting shot at. I mean obviously this was one of those early morning girl scout cookie sales gone bad that you hear about on the news all the time.

41. djaehne says: Jun 16, 2014 9:38 PM

So was he the “get away” driver and the two gunmen were police officers. At 330 am, ok
    Harrison. ok

42. eagles45 says: Jun 16, 2014 9:39 PM

Give me a break these comments are unreal. I guess everyone on this site has never been out late before. I wasn’t aware that marvin Harrison has a curfew. Last time I checked he can be out as late as he wants. Let’s stop judging people for stupid reasons. He can live his life anyway he wants. In fact if he hadn’t been out late the man probably would have been murdered.

43. kferguson2002 says: Jun 16, 2014 9:39 PM

Why do most of you have this huge problem with somebody being out in the middle of the night? Is it normal, of course not. But he’s not the only person to ever randomly be out in the late night/early morning.

44. raiderapologist says: Jun 16, 2014 9:42 PM

I used to get up at 3:30 a.m., when I delivered milk and ice cream. Does Marv have a paper route?

45. fafaflunky says: Jun 16, 2014 9:51 PM

last thing im doing at 320 am after hearing gun shots is picking the person up getting shot at..call me crazy but that is one stupid thing to do..unless ur involved

46. thefiesty1 says: Jun 16, 2014 10:19 PM

3:20 in the morning. – just driving around? Isn’t this the second time that’s happened to him? Once, shame on me. Twice, shame on you.

47. eoyguy says: Jun 16, 2014 10:19 PM

A should-be multi-millionaire, 3:20am, West Philly, in a pickup truck.

Perfectly normal…

48. ducksk says: Jun 16, 2014 10:21 PM

Liar, liar pants on fire.

49. psly2124 says: Jun 16, 2014 10:23 PM

Looking to score late night marvin. Talk about a disaster after there playing career. Marvin was thought if a good guy while playing. Look like he morphed into PACman jones.

50. ducksk says: Jun 16, 2014 10:29 PM

Absolutely heroic. Hey Marv, cll me back dude.

51. bigjayoakersonfan says: Jun 16, 2014 10:37 PM

Save the martyr angle too Marvin: ‘I’ll just put my head down and keep going.’

Guy acts likes he’s suffering at the hands of a blood-thirsty cult.

52. ducksk says: Jun 16, 2014 10:39 PM

Everyone in filthydelphia knows crack’nhos’ go in sale after 3 am. C’mon man

53. youcantmakemepickausername says: Jun 16, 2014 10:52 PM

I dont know what happened anymore than any of you dopes comnenting do, but for all the “oh my god, he’s out at 3:20am!”, you do realize he owns a bar in a city where bars close at 2? Im sure there are a lot of people that work at or own bars that are driving home at 3:20am

54. avanderlay says: Jun 16, 2014 11:01 PM

bmd2099 says:
    Jun 16, 2014 9:18 PM

Exactly, Marivn Harrison was just out on the streets at that hour keeping us regular Joes’ internets up and running. Wow.

55. oldcracker says: Jun 16, 2014 11:06 PM

I don’t question the late night. I only sleep a couple of hours a night for 3-4 days, and then “crash” for about 18 hours, and then it starts all over again. My wife says I have PTSD but, the VA doesn’t agree.

Let me tell you, there are a lot of night people out there, especially in the bigger cities. There are reasons many fast food chains have special “late-night” hours.

What I question is how this “stranger” who was being shot at winds up with Marvin’s phone number. Most of us can barely get an autograph, even at PR events, how does this guy rate not only a ride but his phone number? Something stinks about all of this.

56. akboot says: Jun 16, 2014 11:10 PM

It’s your story Marvin, tell it any way you want. But I for one aint buyin it. A previous post I like, if you would have said, “nothing” 3 times instead of 4 I would have worked with me. LOL. Ok.

57. 9timd9 says: Jun 16, 2014 11:12 PM

Just keepin’ it real mane

58. imthedudedude says: Jun 16, 2014 11:13 PM

Dude killed a guy

59. ducksk says: Jun 16, 2014 11:16 PM

Harrison has been accused of involvement in two Philadelphia shootings, but wasn’t charged either time. One of the men was later shot and killed near a bar Harrison owns.

60. campcouch says: Jun 16, 2014 11:22 PM

There must be a lot of people who knock out at 8pm. Work,partying,buying weed,dropping off a chick,I don’t think there is a curfew in effect for adults in America. I fairly certain there isn’t a rich guy road either so more than likely he has to use the same streets as the rest of us to get home after a night of carousing. You’d call him scum still if he let the guy get murdered so he’s pretty much damned either way.

61. cannabisisgreat says: Jun 16, 2014 11:33 PM

The night I got arrested I was just minding my own business too.

62. youallrfools says: Jun 17, 2014 12:12 AM

I know the first thing I’m looking to do at 3am (albeit on a weekend) is pick up a stranger, especially those who appear fleeing for their life.

63. tanstewie says: Jun 17, 2014 12:22 AM

I’m disgusted by the trolls on here ripping Harrison or thinking they’re funny. A guys life was saved. U all have no clue what was going on yet you rip a guy who helped a person in need. I think Harrison should be applauded. And hopefully none of you fools ever need help from a stranger

64. croghan1919 says: Jun 17, 2014 12:58 AM

Colts fan here.
    Awesome WR for the Colts.
    But I’m calling “BS” on this tale.
    Somethings up Marvin, sorry.
    Out and and about at 3:00 in the morning?
    They don’t start making the donuts until 4:00AM.
    Heading to a 24 hour gym for a workout or…?
    This fan wants some splaining.
    But I’m sure you’re already over fandom.
    carry on…

65. theheyseed says: Jun 17, 2014 1:08 AM

I don’t care that it was 3:20 AM, but the story just doesn’t sound true. How did he know the guy was being shot at? If he was close enough to see the shooters and stopped he is stupid. If the guys were shooting at the dude, why would they stop to let him get in a car and ride away?
    Maybe some fans will believe him, but I’m sure the cops don’t.

66. mungman69 says: Jun 17, 2014 1:24 AM

To, here’s my # 555-1234

67. vicksbitch says: Jun 17, 2014 5:29 AM

Marvin Harrison owns and runs a bar, it is entirely normal that he would be heading home one hour after the business that he operates closes. BTW the bar he operates is known for its zero tolerance of drugs or weapons so lets not be so quick to judge him.

68. nnagi says: Jun 17, 2014 7:06 AM

The next time this happens…always thinking ahead, huh Marvin?

69. sb44champs says: Jun 17, 2014 8:15 AM

Sure, we all believe you Marvin lol

70. raiderluv says: Jun 17, 2014 8:38 AM

I was just driving, minding my own business…..at 3:20 am…….

71. jimfix says: Jun 17, 2014 8:41 AM

so, i don’t understand how marv is at fault in any of this. some guy got his apartment broken into and ran into the street… marvin somewhat reluctantly picked him up. i don’t see what he did wrong here that people are comparing him to pacman jones etc? he was out late at night? ok, as was said above, he owns a bar. and he’s a grown ass man who is retired. i think the guy is allowed to go out until whenever he wants.

whatever did or didn’t happen six years ago was definitely sketchy but he was never charged with anything, and hasn’t been involved in anything since…

72. kepdogg23 says: Jun 17, 2014 8:41 AM

He owns a bar, is it really that unbelievable that he was out at 3:30 am when last call is at 1:45???

73. jimfix says: Jun 17, 2014 8:42 AM

like what is the angle, he was with the guys breaking into the apartment and then picked the victim up and called 911? does that make any sense to anyone?

74. sbchampsagain says: Jun 17, 2014 8:58 AM

He’ probably just a fisherman…out for a pleasure cruise…at night…through eel-infested waters.

75. freevinnycurry says: Jun 17, 2014 8:59 AM

I’ve been minding my own business for 38 years on this planet and never been shot at. Actually I know hundreds of people and not one of them have been shot at while “minding their own business”.

76. abninf says: Jun 17, 2014 9:42 AM

“I’ve called him and told him how grateful I am, that he actually stopped and helped me out. ”
    ====================================

An NFL star just gave the guy his number? Sounds like they were already friends.

77. glb020971 says: Jun 17, 2014 10:35 AM

Didn’t know that Phil has a curfew for adults. So what if he was out at 3:20 am what do it matter.

78. thraiderskin says: Jun 17, 2014 10:45 AM

Apparently you’re not allowed to be out at anytime or anywhere you want in this country… guess I missed that day of civics class. Some of you people are the problem that needs to be rectified.

79. rukkus1 says: Jun 17, 2014 11:07 AM

He might very well have been in the wrong place at the wrong time. We’ve all been there.

At least he didn’t pull the trigger though, lots of you guys are acting like he was the shooter. Wait to convict him til you know the whole story, he at least deserves that.

80. nyneal says: Jun 17, 2014 11:10 AM

Maybe Harrison is telling the truth. Or maybe then again he isn’t. But there has been some speculation that he was somehow involved with a murder, too. Not saying he committed one, just saying there was talk he was somehow involved.
    All I know is what my father always told me. Trouble always finds those who are looking for it.

81. 4greatestvikingever says: Jun 17, 2014 11:17 AM

And they found the gun in a mop bucket at Marvin’s shop right?

82. jjackwagon says: Jun 17, 2014 11:18 AM

Marvin, you stopped “minding my own business” when you chose to get involved in the situation.

83. xxsweepthelegxx says: Jun 17, 2014 11:27 AM

Out at 320am and own a bar? Ok, I’ll give him one pass.
    Picks up man that is being shot at? I certainly wouldn’t, but he did, and that’s heroic/admirable. I’ll give him a second pass
    Being famous and handing out your phone number to a complete stranger…a stranger who was getting shot at…..at 320am? I think he’s got some splainin’ to do.

84. eagles45 says: Jun 17, 2014 11:31 AM

You want to know why the guy has Harrison’s number ? Its because the police showed up and created a police report for what happened. Ever been in a car accident and the police show up and get contact information for everyone involved at all in the incident? It’s the same concept and all parties leave with a copy of the report with contact information included. This is not hard to figure out.

85. clashpoint says: Jun 17, 2014 11:41 AM

There are some seriously jaded people around here. Guilty even if proven innocent hmm? I say Marvin did a good and heroic thing, especially since so many of y’all lack the stones to do what he did. I’m sticking to that.

86. granadafan says: Jun 17, 2014 11:49 AM

Nothing good happens after midnight.

87. govtminion says: Jun 17, 2014 12:28 PM

I’m not saying he’s up to no good, but… what possible reason could a multi-millionaire have to be driving around the rough parts of Philly at 3:20 in the morning?

88. ravensfaninflorida says: Jun 17, 2014 12:37 PM

Yea…..right. After 3:00 in the morning? Tell me another one Harrison.

89. 12brichandfamous says: Jun 17, 2014 12:43 PM

I don’t care what the haters are saying….good job Marvin. You probably saved that man’s life.

That’s a good deed.

90. oldsombrero says: Jun 17, 2014 12:44 PM

And there I was, just minding my own business.

91. sbchampsagain says: Jun 17, 2014 1:16 PM

Aaron Hernandez coulda learned a lot from Marvin Harrison.

92. gostlcards5 says: Jun 17, 2014 2:07 PM

Being out at that time of the night is feasible. Marvin owns multiple businesses in Philly, one of them a bar. Perhaps he had been there that night and was on his way home.

It is sad that he is guilty in the eyes of so many. However, I understand it. After you are in the “wrong place at the wrong time” so many times, it doesn’t seem like a coincidence.

93. slaugin says: Jun 17, 2014 9:26 PM

So Marvin Harrison gave this guy his number after the incident? I’m willing to bet he has his number because they know each other.