Former Dolphins bullying victim recovering from cancer scare

Ron Rivera, Andrew McDonald AP

Andrew McDonald is now fighting through something much tougher, and much more serious, than Richie Incognito.

The player identified as “Player A” in the Ted Wells report about the Dolphins bullying scandal has moved onto the Panthers, and is now facing a medical scare.

According to Joe Person of the Charlotte Observer, McDonald is recovering from surgery to remove testicular cancer last month. The good news is the cancer hasn’t spread.

After noticing a “little bump,” he mentioned it to a team doctor during a physical in May, and he quickly had tests and surgery to remove it.

“It was obviously surprising. Then they scheduled surgery for the next day, so it kind of hits you at once,” McDonald said. “I just kind of made up my mind not to get down, not to let it affect me, as much as I could. Just stay positive, and obviously it’s worked out. Thank God for that.”

That kind of battle makes what he went through with the Dolphins pale in comparison, as he was hazed alongside former teammate Jonathan Martin and subject to generally demeaning behaving from teammates.

“I don’t think I want to get into that, really,” he said when asked if the bullying ever went too far with him.

And considering what he’s working through now, a footnote is all his former teammates deserve to be.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Home, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill
9 Responses to “Former Dolphins bullying victim recovering from cancer scare”
  1. thepftpoet says: Jun 18, 2014 1:12 PM

Meanwhile all the Vikings Offensive-Lineman are best friends and snowmobile with each other in the winter.

That’s why they work together so well on the field..

2. thegreatgabbert says: Jun 18, 2014 1:15 PM

Testicular cancer is no joking matter.

3. rascalmanny says: Jun 18, 2014 1:36 PM

Remember in November.

4. gojags says: Jun 18, 2014 1:40 PM

My thoughts and prayers against this dreadful disease. But the good news is people survive testicular cancer better than most of the other type of cancers as it has got better prognosis and are very less aggressive.

5. maddog111 says: Jun 18, 2014 2:08 PM

Could you start calling it “workplace harrassment” or something like that instead of bullying? I think when most of us hear bullying, we think of 10, 12 year old kids, not 325 pound grown men.

6. abninf says: Jun 18, 2014 2:20 PM

The first four words of the title made me laugh.

7. jgedgar70 says: Jun 18, 2014 2:31 PM

It sounds like they caught it early, which is the key to fighting cancer. I’m glad everything was taken care of, and I hope he can help our team win games.

8. vaughnjoe says: Jun 18, 2014 2:38 PM

Aw bullying in the NFL. Look at the size of this guy and tell me how he got bullied. Its so obvious lawyers were involved in this.

9. phillyguyindc says: Jun 18, 2014 2:41 PM

Odd that you used “Former Dolphins Bullying Victim” instead of the guys name. I’m sure he would rather you used his name instead of being the guy who was bullied.