Kyle Williams on Marcell Dareus: I think he’s going in the right direction

Marcell Dareus AP

Bills defensive tackle Marcell Dareus isn’t talking to the media during this week’s minicamp, so we can’t get his take on the pair of arrests that have marred his offseason.

Dareus was charged with possession of a controlled substance and drug paraphernalia in early May and then with a series of traffic violations after an alleged street racing incident at the end of the month, leading coach Doug Marrone to wonder aloud whether or not Dareus gets what he needs to do to have a long NFL career. Defensive tackle Kyle Williams shares some of the same concern and hopes this offseason is a “watershed moment” for a player he thinks can be a great player for the Bills.

“You can pour into people as much as you possibly can. We’re here together every single day. And you hope that when they leave the building, that some of those things that you poured into them, some of the ideas that you’ve given them, some of the direction you’ve given them, goes with them,” Williams said, via the Buffalo News. “That’s kind of what we’re hoping sticks — and I think it will. I believe in him, and I think he’s going to do a great job. Everybody’s got their own circumstances. Yes, you’d hope that decisions would have been avoided, but like I said, that stuff is hopefully behind him. Myself and Mario [Williams], we’re going to continue to pour into him and hopefully show him the right way. … I think he’s going in the right direction.”

Dareus was in his usual position next to Williams on the defensive line during Tuesday’s practice and his talent will keep him there as long as the fallout from his legal issues doesn’t render him unavailable to the team. How long that talent continues to win out will likely have much to do with whether Dareus proves Williams correct about the direction he’ll take from this point forward.

Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Buffalo Bills, Home, Rumor Mill
9 Responses to “Kyle Williams on Marcell Dareus: I think he’s going in the right direction”
  1. ghostfacenoah says: Jun 18, 2014 9:32 AM

Kyle Williams is a great leader and one of the most underrated NFL players of the past 5 or so years.

2. mack909 says: Jun 18, 2014 9:54 AM

Kyle Williams will be a great head coach in this league someday.

3. davikes says: Jun 18, 2014 10:08 AM

he’s going the right direction, now that he walks or rides a bike everywhere he goes.

4. schmitty2 says: Jun 18, 2014 10:13 AM

The problem is that the direction he goes is way over the speed limit.

5. mgpet says: Jun 18, 2014 10:23 AM

Well that was quick. Makes Irsay’s supposed change of heart seem glacial in comparison.

6. idoubtiwillbother says: Jun 18, 2014 12:25 PM

I know Williams is saying those things because he believes them, and said them the way he said them in part to keep Dareus in good spirits, but I don’t share his faith.

7. jeffreyshulenburg says: Jun 18, 2014 1:05 PM

Kyle Williams is probably one of the most underrated NFL players of the last 50 years. I hope he will come back and coach DL for us when he retires.

8. mackcarrington says: Jun 18, 2014 2:21 PM

I’ll watch the Bills and hope for them to win, but every time I see this guy now I think, “He’s one of the dumbest human beings on the planet.” Just because he may be a good football player doesn’t make him an intellectual genius.

9. luther6 says: Jun 18, 2014 2:25 PM

Doug Marrone said that he would rather help people than win. Of course, it’s unlikely that he’s as concerned about marginal talent that has run-ins with the law. He really should focus on winning. If he wants to be a counselor, then by all means, go pursue that career. If so, maybe we can trade a future pick to get Mike Pettine back.