Dolphins sign first-round pick Ja’Wuan James

Ja'Wuan James AP

The Dolphins didn’t wait long to address one of their biggest needs in the 2014 draft, nabbing tackle Ja’Wuan James with the 19th overall pick in the first round.

James fills a major need for a Dolphins team that saw their offensive line fail to function on or off the field during the 2013 season. James is pencilled into the starting right tackle spot as one of four new starters around center Mike Pouncey, but nothing could be written in ink until James used some to sign his contract.

James posted a picture of himself doing just that on Twitter Thursday. As the other 31 first-round picks from May have done or will do, James signed a four-year deal with a team option for a fifth year.

With James signed, guard Billy Turner is the only unsigned member of the Dolphins’ draft class and one of only a handful of unsigned players from around the league. Turner could also start this season, which would make for quite a fresh start on the offensive line in Miami after everything went pear-shaped for them last year.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill
12 Responses to “Dolphins sign first-round pick Ja’Wuan James”
  1. hardcorevikesfan says: Jun 19, 2014 5:16 PM

Did I think Ja’Wuan was a reach in the draft? Yes, I did. In fact, I though Antonio Richardson was the better player for the Volunteers, but he went undrafted, so what do I know?

I could sit here and call Ja’Wuan a bust like everyone else – but I won’t. In fact, no one really knows how well Ja’Wuan will be in the NFL. I am not even a Dolphins fan, but man, to label him a bust? Uncalled for.

2. vtmem says: Jun 19, 2014 5:45 PM

Only time will tell for any of the drafted AND un-drafted players.

3. scmems07 says: Jun 19, 2014 6:16 PM

james was considered a better pospect that richardson, more polished and consistant, but it was odd that richardson went undrafted all together.

the dolphins needed a RT and drafted the best RT in the draft and did not get a LT or G and have him learn the switch, should be a better transition for him. they don’t need him to be a pro bowler, just be a good solid RT and it would not be considered a reach. i think they got a good player and with turner battling with the 3rd rd pick from laster year thomas, the dolphins line should be much improved and finally have some depth. they were 8-8 and in it till the final game last year with a makeshift oline and they were a big reason they lost those last 2 games, they got a lot better on the o line and defense looks good, they should be a 10 win team this year. we’ll see.

4. dilberry says: Jun 19, 2014 6:20 PM

scmems07 says: Jun 19, 2014 6:16 PM

—————————————————————

From what I understand, Richardson had some medical red flags that scared teams enough to keep him from getting drafted.

5. ghjjf says: Jun 19, 2014 6:34 PM

Tannehill was sacked 3 times today in scrimage, so much for a “fresh start”.

6. bsizemore68 says: Jun 19, 2014 8:09 PM

To call a player a bust is crazy, how about we wait until thy play a season first. And to make a comment like ghjjf has no base, its a scrimmage guys. Bill

7. igotgamenj says: Jun 19, 2014 8:22 PM

The good thing is Ja’Wuan will be going against Cam Wake all of training camp and if he can block him he can block anybody

8. 305phinphan says: Jun 19, 2014 11:42 PM

He can’t be any worse than Tyson Clabo. The offensive line will be improved from last season. Pouncey and Albert are prime time players along with a vastly improved Dallas Thomas, Shelly Smith, and first round pick JaWaun James I don’t foresee Tannehill on his back much this upcoming season.

9. drainbameged says: Jun 20, 2014 6:13 AM

Oh no… 3 sacks with no pads and a new offense…the dolhins should probably just pack it in before the season even starts…

I’ll wait and see what the season brings to make my judgement

10. humanbowlingball says: Jun 20, 2014 10:02 AM

I am hoping that James will be great, an All Pro and a long time starter. But all he has to be right now is better than Clabo and manchild Martin. I think that is eminently doable and should help get the number of sacks of Tannehill down from last year’s awful results.

If Tannehill can get rid of the ball quicker and the o-line can be even a little better the Fins could at least be able to eke out a couple of more wins more than last year and make it to the playoffs for the first time since 2008. That is a realistic scenario.

11. mackie66 says: Jun 21, 2014 8:19 AM

Judging players based on three days of practicing in their underwear is moronic. IF your IQ scores fall south of 55 I think you qualify.

12. fishyinalittledishy says: Jun 21, 2014 1:04 PM

No two football seasons are exactly the same but if our o line is just the NFL average at worst and Tannehill can just take that next step up we are in business. The hardest thing is judging Tannehill. I think he has that X factor but can he produce we’re it counts. When he makes mistakes I like to see how he looks when he is running back to the coaches and what does on his next throws to me he looks focused but that was his honeymoon period now it’s all on him.