Jerry Jones says only direction to go is up for Cowboys defense

Jerry Jones AP

Jerry Jones believes the Dallas Cowboys defense will be improved in 2014, even if the only reason is because it’s difficult to be any worse.

The Cowboys ranked dead last in the league in total defense in 2013, allowing an average of 415 yards per game. It was statistically the worst defense in Cowboys franchise history. That defense has also lost DeMarcus Ware this offseason to the Denver Broncos and saw veteran linebacker Sean Lee likely lost for the season due to a knee injury suffered in OTAs.

However, Jones is still optimistic for improvement on the defensive side of the ball. He doesn’t feel the unit they have currently is better than the defense that took the field for opening day in 2013, but he believes it’s better than the injury-depleted group that finished last season.

I can say it this year, we are better right now,” Jones said, via Schuyler Dixon of theĀ Associated Press. “Not on paper at the beginning of the season last year, but on paper right now relative to how we ended up last year.”

The Cowboys invested seven of their nine draft picks on the defensive side of the ball in hopes of turning the defense around.

Dallas allowed opponents to score at least 20 points in 12 of 16 games last season. However, all four games in which the Cowboys held their opponents to less than 20 points came in the first seven weeks of the season before injuries really began to take their toll on the team.

If the Cowboys want to break their streak of 8-8 seasons and post their first winning campaign since 2009, they’ll have to hope their owner is correct and the defense can become at least respectable next season.

Permalink 38 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Home, Rumor Mill
38 Responses to “Jerry Jones says only direction to go is up for Cowboys defense”
  1. dalfanforever says: Jun 19, 2014 11:55 PM

Well, he’s right. We were the worst defense in the NFL. Of course, that’s Romo’s fault.

2. Mr. Wright 212 says: Jun 19, 2014 11:57 PM

Really? Because I can see it being the worst of all time. They lost three of the only consistently productive (when on the field) players they had to other teams or season-ending injury, and replaced them with nothing. I love Jerry’s reasoning.

3. craniator says: Jun 19, 2014 11:59 PM

These guys remind me of the Dolphins when they had Dan Marino at QB ; they’ll probably keep stocking up on defensive players and get really good on defense — just as their QB gets too old to be effective. Then they’ll have a hellacious defense but mediocre offense. As a Miami fan , I’ve seen this movie before.

4. trefkennedy says: Jun 20, 2014 12:04 AM

Smh this team has 2-14 written all over it

5. pnut87 says: Jun 20, 2014 12:05 AM

No, that direction is very capable of going down.

6. jeremycrowhurst says: Jun 20, 2014 12:30 AM

I count 19 other categories where they can do worse, and 10 more starters they could lose to season-ending injuries.

Don’t tempt fate, Jerry.

7. chinahand11 says: Jun 20, 2014 12:36 AM

You know, I think I might like to follow Jerry around for a day, just to watch him in action, with all that jabbering and maniacal behavior. Maybe he would appoint me as an assistant coach or something. Good for a laugh, anyway. You poor Cowboy fans.

8. Big Blue On You says: Jun 20, 2014 12:49 AM

As usual Jerrah, you’re right. Your Defense is the bomb. No need to do anything else, and the Super Bowl is guaranteed.

Signed: The rest of the NFC East.

9. fordmandalay says: Jun 20, 2014 12:50 AM

Oh I bet the Cowboys can find another direction than ‘up’ this year.

10. theheyseed says: Jun 20, 2014 1:11 AM

I agree, My prediction is for them to hold opponents to 19.5 points a game, we luv ya Jera.

11. blu4l1fe says: Jun 20, 2014 1:15 AM

Too easy

12. jerrysglassescleaner says: Jun 20, 2014 1:41 AM

Well, we were the 32 rank defense and went 5-1 in the division and manage to stay alive till the last game. Tony Romo is very underrated isn’t he haters. Oh wait haters you are correct, shame on Tony for not playing defense, kick the ball, catch the ball, keep the defense healthy. Yea you are totally right. Get real! With that monster O-line, and questionable defense. You better take Romo on your fantasy team. Ask the Denver Broncos why. Cowboys offense is going to be beast!

13. dubblelznhell says: Jun 20, 2014 1:42 AM

Jones is like the old salesman trying to close his last few deals. He’s borderline delusional….nothing without Johnson.

14. tigeralum2010 says: Jun 20, 2014 1:45 AM

Lol really? Without Hatcher, Ware and Lee, the 3 best players from last years’ god-awful defense? I’m a cowboys fan but … cmon Jerry

15. iceburgskin202 says: Jun 20, 2014 2:17 AM

Love your math Jerrah cowboys need a new GM and we need a new owner!!! HTTR

16. rarelyclever says: Jun 20, 2014 2:44 AM

In addition to the draft picks, they also made some prudent defensive line signings, and a healthy Morris Claiborne and JJ Wilcox will both be big help. Losing Lee and Ware is a big obstacle, and this defense may rank in the bottom 10 by the end of the season, but that could be enough for 10 wins considering the strength of the offense.

17. antneejay2 says: Jun 20, 2014 2:46 AM

When Jerry is optimistic I’m optimistic. So are all the Eagles, Skins and Giants fans.

18. grantgoodman93 says: Jun 20, 2014 3:14 AM

Please go sign Jason Babin.

19. vetelmo says: Jun 20, 2014 3:31 AM

It’s cute how he thinks he has anything to do with a winning organization.

20. bamboozle99 says: Jun 20, 2014 4:38 AM

Wait, the Cowboys aren’t going to the Superbowl this off-season?

21. courtjester1234 says: Jun 20, 2014 6:17 AM

At this point I’m sure Cowboy fans and detractors would love for this old fart to line up and take a few snaps, just to hit this idiot. I hate Dallas, but I sympathize with their fans. NFC East has two idiot owners: Big Mouth Jones and Danny “I’ll buy my way to a championship”Snyder. Unless Jerky Jones relinquishes control to someone that knows how to scout talent, they will continue to be a middle of the road team. I actually feel bad for Romo…I never feel sorry for any Cowboy player.
    NFC East: Philly, NY, Wash,Dallas.

22. filthymcfunny1 says: Jun 20, 2014 6:42 AM

This team is very comparable to the packers good qb,bad o’line and a Terrible defense,these teams are going to bottom out its inevitable!

23. eagleswin says: Jun 20, 2014 6:51 AM

========================

At least they are #1 in the worst defense category. Ironically, ex cowboys defensive coach Rob Ryan pulled the Saints defense out of a similar situation.

I guess it wasn’t Rob Ryan’s fault after all was it Jerry? Maybe someone should give the GM the pink slip.

24. dirtydrynn27 says: Jun 20, 2014 6:56 AM

This defense will be worse than last years team!

25. greymares says: Jun 20, 2014 7:14 AM

Am I missing something but I didn’t see where any real personnel decisions will constitute an upgrade.

26. jimmyt says: Jun 20, 2014 7:18 AM

Brilliant! Just curious, would Boys fans rather Jerry was a quiet, behind the scene owner or do they prefer the wacko GM/owner?

27. zam0854 says: Jun 20, 2014 7:26 AM

Don’t worry JJ, the Giants and Redskins are saying the same thing.

What’s the over/under on total combined wins for Cowboys, Redskins, and Giants? 10? 11? 9?

#Back2aBackNFCEastChamps

28. moseszd says: Jun 20, 2014 7:30 AM

Actually, it could get worse. Just because you sucked last year doesn’t mean can’t suck even more this year.

And having lost their best remaining player on defense (Lee) after gutting an already weak d-line… I just don’t see where the optimism for improvement will come seeing as their draft really wasn’t that spectacular.

I don’t see the second coming of even an injury-plagued, misused DWare. I don’t see an adequate replacement for the injured Sean Lee. I don’t see an upgrade from DT Melton for the departed DT Hatcher.

29. mikea311 says: Jun 20, 2014 7:42 AM

if they are any worse they will be considered the opponents offense…

30. cowpiesnotcowboys says: Jun 20, 2014 7:54 AM

Don’t sell them short — of course they can get worse. This is allas after all.

31. 700levelvet says: Jun 20, 2014 8:09 AM

The.”Most mediocre franchise in sports”…

32. phiddysent says: Jun 20, 2014 8:10 AM

The prophet has spoken! As if there was any room to get worse…

33. sportsfan18 says: Jun 20, 2014 8:44 AM

Well Mr. Jones…

Smile, things may always get worse…

34. thefirstsmilergrogan says: Jun 20, 2014 9:06 AM

this guy is great. if he’s not extolling the virtues of putting 8-8 teams in the playoffs, he’s hiring a new play caller to go with garrett and callahan,,,,,

or claiming moral victories…

or how good this defense is on paper…. he used that word because it describes the stopping power of his defense last year….

35. kansacity88 says: Jun 20, 2014 10:59 AM

Well I can say this is an actual first! I agree with Jerrah!

36. cueghost says: Jun 20, 2014 11:30 AM

Marinelli is going to whip these guys into shape and have them flying around the field with confidence… This Defense is going to be one the biggest surprises of the 2014 NFL Season… Top 12 Defense and Cowboys win the East. Book it.

37. 88xfactor says: Jun 24, 2014 1:17 AM

The one thing about this years defence. Is that they are young. I like young. Young means more energy, faster and stamina. That can’t be all bad. And besides at the end of the day you got to play with the uniform you’re dealt. So when training camp is over. Get your guys, and I’ll get my boys and we’ll see. “Them boy 4 life”.

38. 88xfactor says: Jun 25, 2014 6:25 PM

First we have to understand, in Big D, Jerry is the man. Not Romo not Dez. Its Jerry. What jerry says goes there is nothing u can do about it. So put your uniform on, laseum up an play some football. Cause jerry can’t. You have to start rebuilding that defence sooner or later. All last season Ware played hurt. Never was he 100% all last season. And Hatcher was up in age also. And where is he now? HURT! So get younger, get faster and get to work. Can’t get any worse than dead last.