Terrell Suggs: I gained too much weight last year

Baltimore Ravens linebacker Suggs celebrates after sacking Denver Broncos quarterback Manning during the thrid quarter in their NFL AFC Divisional playoff football game in Denver Reuters

Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs got off to a great start last season, recording nine sacks in the season’s first eight games, but he was a big part of the team-wide fade in the second half that resulted in their Super Bowl title defense ending without a trip to the playoffs.

Suggs had one sack in the final eight weeks and said Wednesday that “finishing strong” is a focus for him and the rest of the team as they make their way toward the 2014 season. One way that Suggs plans to do that is altering his diet and training to make sure that he doesn’t put on as much weight as he did down the stretch last year.

“It gets a little cold and you gain a little weight,” Suggs said, via the team’s website. “I probably put on a little too much weight down the stretch. That’s one of my big focusses going into this year is to keep my weight down so I can have a strong finish.”

The Ravens would seem to be believers in Suggs’ ability to turn things back around after the unhappy way that the second half of the season played out. They signed Suggs to a four-year extension early in the offseason and guaranteed him $16 million over the next two years, ensuring that Suggs, slimmed down or otherwise, will play a major role in the defense in his 12th NFL season and beyond.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
11 Responses to “Terrell Suggs: I gained too much weight last year”
  1. brandonj21 says: Jun 19, 2014 7:58 AM

How do you gain weight during the season ?? Really , T-Sizzle ??

2. ghostfacenoah says: Jun 19, 2014 8:08 AM

Me too Terrell, me too.

3. bbb82 says: Jun 19, 2014 8:13 AM

Maybe he struggled without Paul Kruger opposite him.

4. godfatherd says: Jun 19, 2014 8:21 AM

While I’ve never known anyone who played football professionally I’ve know guys who played D1 and I played high school football. I have never know a single person to gain weight during the football season. Between conditioning, practice, and lifting most people are struggling to not drop weight. I’m not sure what this says about Suggs, but it makes you think about what kind of career the guy could have had if he had been taking care of his body better all these years.

5. logicailvoicesays says: Jun 19, 2014 8:28 AM

Same old Ravens. Always making excuses for why they are Maryland’s #2 team and are always way behind the Redskins. HTTR.

6. calhounlambeau says: Jun 19, 2014 8:32 AM

You would think after 10 years in the league he would have realized this.

7. notwithkubiak says: Jun 19, 2014 8:33 AM

Those teeth of his probably add 30 extra pounds..

8. clashpoint says: Jun 19, 2014 8:39 AM

Ravens are a bunch of old men, y’know. The team qualifies for group AARP discounts. Maybe Suggs ought to room with slugger Smith in the geriatric wing of the training camp grounds, ray ray’s old room. I bet the geritol sauna over there works wonders on their pores.

9. natijim235 says: Jun 19, 2014 8:43 AM

showed him the $$ and lived high off the hog

10. crownofthehelmet says: Jun 19, 2014 11:07 AM

I would like to point out that Ngata and Suggs, two of the Ravens highest paid players, could not combine to even reach 3 sacks in an 8+ game stretch. These guys are giving Flacco a run at the most overvalued player in the league.

11. Bull Rush says: Jun 19, 2014 12:29 PM

And yet, with Flacco’s, Ngata’s, and Suggs’ supposed poor play and being over valued the Ravens had the exact same record as the Steelers when Ben had a killer year. Ouch.