Darrelle Revis loves his “players coach” Bill Belichick

Darrelle Revis AP

Patriots coach Bill Belichick might still be a jerk.

But now, he’s Darrelle Revis’s jerk.

The veteran cornerback has apparently buried the hatchet with his longtime nemesis, changing his opinion of his new boss after getting to know him.

“I think it changed the first time through the whole process when I got released from Tampa and talking to teams,” Revis said, via Phil Perry of CSNNE.com. “And I actually got to sit down and talk with Belichick, and I think it changed during that conversation when we sat down together and just had a good conversation. We moved forward. Whatever we had in the past, we put it behind us. I think it changed during that moment.”

Revis admitted part of his distaste for Belichick in the past was from not knowing how he really was (funny how that works).

“Once you cross over and see — when you’re on the inside looking out — it’s a totally different perspective,” Revis said. “That’s how you look at it. Everybody here has accepted me as much as they can to make it feel like home. Even Bill has. I feel fine with it. I’m fine. We’re on good terms. . . .

“One, he’s a great coach. I really respect him for winning three championships. I really do. Another thing is that I feel like he’s a players’ coach. A lot of people might not say that outside looking in, but we’re with Bill everyday. We hang out with him every day. We’re in the meetings with him every day, so we’re around him all the time. I really feel like he’s a players’ coach. I feel like he runs it how he wants to run it, but at the same time, you have to go out here and work.”

So for now, everything’s peachy between them. But if Revis gets into a messy contract situation with them, like he did with the Jets, you get the sense that Belichick could easily revert to jerk.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
20 Responses to “Darrelle Revis loves his “players coach” Bill Belichick”
  1. whiteknightblackheart says: Jun 20, 2014 8:09 AM

I wonder how he will feel about whomever is his coach next year.

2. touchdownroddywhite says: Jun 20, 2014 8:12 AM

If Revis gets into a messy contract situation with them, they’ll cut ties and Belichick likely won’t care what Revis calls him after that.

3. jjackwagon says: Jun 20, 2014 8:15 AM

Translation: He’s the man that signs my paycheck…I like him.

4. cobraiv says: Jun 20, 2014 8:25 AM

Bill Belichick is still a JERK!!

5. keepongronking says: Jun 20, 2014 8:35 AM

Bill Belichick. You either love him, or you hate him.

6. dynaco says: Jun 20, 2014 8:55 AM

Yeah, there isn’t a $Bill$ Revis couldn’t get to love.

7. pukinbuzzard says: Jun 20, 2014 9:03 AM

Welcome to NE Darrelle, now do your job and everything will truly be peachy!

8. truthofthefootballbusiness says: Jun 20, 2014 9:24 AM

Darrelle “When’s My Next Holdout” Revis, the 65th best cornerback in the NFL

9. mysterytonite says: Jun 20, 2014 9:24 AM

Yeah he is saying that now but when the season is over and he wants another contract and NE is only interested in paying him what he is worth, he will be onto his next team.

10. pftfan says: Jun 20, 2014 9:25 AM

Revis’ problems are never with the coaching staff and never were. Revis’ problems are that he wants as much of a team’s 53-man cap space as possible and he doesn’t care how it actually affects team-building.

Make no mistake, he went to the Pats because they offered him his “$20M” (but not really), but also because they have Tom Brady who can cover up a lot of holes on offense, that don’t need to be patched with free agents that would take away from Revis’ “piece of the pie”.

This will be the Revis we see over the next 5-6 years, jumping from established team to established team trying to latch onto a winning squad, while deferring the non-guaranteed portion of his contract (which will get larger) further and further.

11. Andrew says: Jun 20, 2014 9:30 AM

Darrelle gettin paidddddddddddd
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

12. ncphinsfan says: Jun 20, 2014 9:34 AM

Revis says this about every Coach! He is easily one of the best, but age and multiple injury has had him running on pure reputation alone. Just another money grab and he is not a good teammate. The Pats are in the final year of ruling the AFCE, so it makes sense to sign him. He wont stay healthy and they dump him and his silly franchise crippling contract. I think it is a brilliant plan. Go get ‘em MEvi$!

13. melikefootball says: Jun 20, 2014 9:44 AM

And if Revis did not say that he would be gone, ask Welker his thoughts.

14. jimjets says: Jun 20, 2014 9:59 AM

Gee that didn’t sound disingenuous at all!

15. bigwii says: Jun 20, 2014 10:01 AM

It’s funny all these people (haters) keep saying every year, “this is their last year.” Oh, I didn’t know. They aren’t going anywhere anytime soon sorry everyone. Keep hating though, I mean this site would be boring without you all.

Revis will be a huge reason for the success the Pats defense will have this year, I look forward to seeing what they accomplish. Nothing like sticking it to the Jets, icing on the cake.

16. timpiker says: Jun 20, 2014 10:09 AM

Funny how even good things get twisted by haters.

17. bbbmf says: Jun 20, 2014 10:47 AM

No, Revis hasn’t said this about every coach. Remember the stint in Tampa? Any kind words for Schiano?

Revis’ point is a good one – we (fans and media) have NO idea what coaches and players are truly about because we aren’t there. We aren’t in the locker room, the meetings or the weight room and we don’t spend any time with them on the practice field. We truly have no idea what kind of person a coach is or whether a player is a “good teammate”. All we can do is make [un]informed guesses and more often than not the vision of a given person is based on bias towards a given team (or other some other personal issues which we won’t discuss).

18. audge86 says: Jun 20, 2014 11:01 AM

Belichick goes to a lot of player events and parties. Dresses up for Halloween.

He’s stern with media but seems to get along well with most of his players. If the players work hard and do their jobs, he’s happy

19. scw1993 says: Jun 20, 2014 12:36 PM

@ ncphinsfan “The Pats are in the final year of ruling the AFCE”

I have read that every year for the last decade and more.

20. councilofargos says: Jun 21, 2014 1:42 AM

I full expect Revis to say all the right things while he is in New England. Look if he was the type of guy to speak ill of somone he probably would have went off about the Bucs coach last year. If Revis does shut down every single receiver on his side of the field I would only expect 15-30 balls to go his way over the entire season. so he might allow less than 5 catches for the year. He has a chance to make $20 million there is $10 million in dead money because of Hernandez. So the money would be there to pay the man. for $20 million dollars hed probably say the bathroom smells like roses after Bill leaves. But Revis is professional.