Panthers feel like they have “unfinished business”

Dave Gettleman, Ron Rivera AP

When Panthers General Manager Dave Gettleman looks at his team, he can’t help but see the holes.

But that doesn’t mean he doesn’t like what he sees.

Gettleman told reporters at the conclusion of Panthers minicamp that he likes the atittude his team has shown all spring, despite missing quarterback Cam Newton (ankle surgery) and blowing up the roster at several key spots.

“I think they feel they have unfinished business,” Gettleman said, via Joe Person of the Charlotte Observer. “It’s been since they walked in the door back in April [for offseason workouts]. They’ve worked very, very hard. They’ve been very diligent. They’re focused.”

They better be. After going 12-4 last year, the Panthers lost left tackle Jordan Gross to retirement and cut wide receiver Steve Smith, and didn’t really replace either. Combined with the exodus of free agents, it’s almost impossible to not look at their roster and see regression.

Yet, they’re optimistic.

“Every year’s new. We’re all starting 0-0. And everybody gets tired of hearing that, but that’s really where it’s at,” Gettleman said. “I feel good about where we’re at right now. You just have to get into it and see where it goes.”

He’ll feel better when the books are clear, and he can add to his team rather than regular subtraction. But to the degree they over-achieved last year, it’s hard to see them matching that feat this year.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Home, Rumor Mill
25 Responses to “Panthers feel like they have “unfinished business””
  1. doctorrustbelt says: Jun 20, 2014 2:00 PM

Let me be blunt: 2014 Carolina Panthers will be a mediocre team

2. seahawksteven777 says: Jun 20, 2014 2:00 PM

Aside from a strong defensive line and Cam Newton, they really don’t have much to speak of. Newton has like no receivers or offensive line, and they have no secondary.

Just saying the truth. They should have kept Steve Smith and they should have drafted offensive line in this past draft early on.

3. tjacks7 says: Jun 20, 2014 2:01 PM

That sound you just heard was the window slamming shut.

4. qdog112 says: Jun 20, 2014 2:17 PM

“We’re all starting 0-0. And everybody gets tired of hearing that, but that’s really where it’s at,” Gettleman said.”
    ****************
    Uh no, Dave we’re not starting at 0-0. We’re starting where we left off. You’re nuts if you think fans won’t compare this team to what we had last year. So we’re starting at 12-4.

Only teams that finished 4-12 talk about starting out 0-0. We’ve been there and done that. Any big drop off will be considered failure for a playoff team.

I think you know that, but are setting us up for a worse year than last. From my point of view, you don’t blow up a 12-4 team. You tweak here and there to maintain your top tier status.

Like one player you cut said, “the pressure is on you.” You blew it up, you own it.

5. conspiracybrotherjones says: Jun 20, 2014 2:21 PM

Infinished Business??? They should’ve kept a few receivers then.

6. demonspank says: Jun 20, 2014 2:28 PM

Is that “unfinished business” acquiring WRs?

7. goreisabeast says: Jun 20, 2014 2:32 PM

They definitely should have kept Steve Smith. At least to mentor the youngsters.

8. pencilmonkeymagic says: Jun 20, 2014 2:36 PM

Anyone who watched that defense stomp on contenders last season knows the Panthers will be a threat again this year.

9. sb44champs says: Jun 20, 2014 2:40 PM

The only unfinished business the Panthers have is finishing dead last in the NFL South this year..

10. thisguy124 says: Jun 20, 2014 2:43 PM

@qdog112

I hear what you are saying, but honestly, who thought we were going to go 12-4 last year? Nobody! I thought that they overachieved last year and now because of it, unrealistic expectations are being put on us. And how can you assume that he is blew us up and are setting us up for failure? I don’t get statements like that because the SEASON HASN”T EVEN STARTED YET. Shoot, training camp hasn’t even started yet. So let us see the finished product in action first before jumping to those conclusions.

11. footballiknow10 says: Jun 20, 2014 3:06 PM

Panthers have a solid foundation at the line with Khalil and Silatolu who should be a beast after being injured in his second season. They have a deep d line and probably the best young line backer in the league. If Benjamin can be a deep threat and keep the safety’s honest they have a talented back field that should be able to make the panthers a good team. Good defense, talented Qb, and running the ball should take them to the playoffs.super bowl I don’t know, but they’ll get 9-10 wins.

12. qdog112 says: Jun 20, 2014 3:17 PM

thisguy124 says:
    Jun 20, 2014 2:43 PM
    @qdog112

**********************

This what I said:”I think you know that, but are setting us up for a worse year than last.” That is different than “setting us up for failure”. That would be sabotage. I didn’t go that far.

I stuck with the team at 1-3 last year because I knew what I saw against Seattle and Buffalo was pretty good. This off season, I see ZERO improvements and many loss starters. I haven’t drawn conclusions, but we all speculate based on what we see.

With the losses to the roster, what tells you that we’re as good as last year?

13. dvdman123 says: Jun 20, 2014 3:26 PM

The Panthers had a home game in the playoffs and blew it big time. Now they have to to play a first place schedule and in the same division as the Saints who look loaded across the board talent wise. Sorry Panther fans but your team is not going to finish any business this season.

14. dalcow4 says: Jun 20, 2014 3:38 PM

The Panthers will revert to form. 6-10.

15. dickshotdogs says: Jun 20, 2014 3:40 PM

……..nowhere, fast.

16. schmitty2 says: Jun 20, 2014 3:41 PM

Great defenses are a major reason teams win championships and the Panthers have an excellent D. The problem is those teams also had at least an average to above average offense. The Panthers lost all of their WR’s and most of their O-line. Deangelo Willimas is extremely inconsistent and Stewart can’t be counted on. I wouldn’t be surprised if Newton goes back to his rookie year and does a lot more running IMO.

17. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Jun 20, 2014 4:05 PM

In most seasons teams in the NFC south go from worst to first and unfortunately for the panthers, first to worst.

18. sasserdm says: Jun 20, 2014 4:08 PM

you guys act like we lost some of the best receivers in the nfl. those guys were BAD, with the exception Steve smith, no one wanted the crew we had. Ginn played for next to nothing and thanks to Cam got some money this year. lets see where he is at the end of 14. Everyone says smitty is cams favorite receiver, that may be true but his favorite target has been olsen for awhile. and last time i looked he is still there. so if the new guys do just ok it will about what we had last year. i love steve but even by his own admission he didn ‘t play his best and didn’t really want to play. so losing him isn’t that bad either. by my calculation if you trade bad for bad its a wash… and by the way jericho and avant have just 2 less td’s last year than all three of the guys that left us. so if all the other guys can manage 2 td’s then its a wash

19. politicallyincorrect says: Jun 20, 2014 4:10 PM

panthers certainly have an unfinished QB

LOL at these tools

20. gashmr says: Jun 20, 2014 4:11 PM

They are a good team. They will face a tough schedule this year coming off a 12-4 season.
    Good defense can create wins where there might not be one. A couple of key defensive plays are what separated Seattle from San Fran last year, not Seattle’s offense by any means. Carolina lost a WR, but they have a good solid basis for a winning season, maybe not 12-4 like last year. But they should win double digits and make a run into the playoffs.

21. bhinrichs9 says: Jun 20, 2014 4:14 PM

I thought I was going to be super cool and funny and say “Like getting some receivers” but some beat me to the bunch. Now I have unfinished business.

22. saints12013 says: Jun 20, 2014 4:18 PM

Panthers ???? BAAAAHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

23. saints12013 says: Jun 20, 2014 4:23 PM

Seriously though, Panthers got talent but they regressed way to much to do any type of damage in the South. Everybody improved in that division. Their offense might set offensive records for being awful. They better hope they can get into some 6-3 type ball games cause that’s the only way they have a chance.

24. phluffyclouds says: Jun 20, 2014 7:43 PM

It’s funny, bc the only people complaining about the lack of WRs are the ones who don’t even follow the Panthers.

Just because we dumped the whole WR and brought in a completely new one doesn’t mean we’re going to struggle. Last years WR core was horrible, Ginn being the one bright spot and even he isn’t anything to write home about. Adding Benjamin, Cotchery, Avant and Underwood, not that it’s the best WR core in the NFL or anything, but that’s not a bad group. I’m confident that the Offense will be better this year than last.

Carry on…

25. thisguy124 says: Jun 20, 2014 10:18 PM

With the losses to the roster, what tells you that we’re as good as last year?

___________________________________

I guess you are going to make me really go into detail, so here it goes. Dude, besides Gross and Smith, who did we really lose? Who was Mitchell before this season… A SCRUB. Ted Ginn was who he was, a punt returner who played in the slot. Brandon LaFail (need I say more?). You can’t honestly sit here and tell me we lost something there if you watched last season. Captain Munnerlyn was the main corner getting burnt in every game. Go look at the stats, he lead the league in completion percentage to opposing QB’s.
    Now look who we brought in, Cotchery, Avant, and Underwood is equal (if not better) than the receivers corps we had. Cason was brought in (who had very good seasons while under Rivera) so Captain is replaced. DeCoud and Harper will do just fine behind our front 7 and will probably have the same production as our last secondary. Now the O-line is the only area I am afraid of. However, we can still upgrade that area before the season starts. And I’m not even mentioning our draft either. So, you asked me what told me we are as good as last year, well there you go.