Bridgewater AP

After the draft, Vikings quarterback Teddy Bridgewater told Dan Patrick that the former Louisville quarterback didn’t want to play for the Browns.  Bridgewater is now backpedaling like the player Cleveland picked after an eight-nine flip-flop with Minnesota.

I think it was misinterpreted,” Bridgewater said Tuesday at the Rookie Symposium, via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer.  “What I was saying was I had a strong feeling about the Minnesota Vikings.  I was able to meet with them five or six times in the pre-draft visits.  I just had a pretty solid feeling about the Minnesota Vikings, but, you know, I try to put the pre-draft stuff behind and try to just focus on my career with the Minnesota Vikings.”

Bridgewater doesn’t deny saying what he said to Patrick about Cleveland:  “I actually told my agent that’s not the place where I wanted to be.”

“I said it on the air, but like I say, it was misinterpreted,” Bridgewater said.  “I think I was just saying I had a solid feeling about the Minnesota Vikings and that was it.”

It wasn’t misinterpreted.  It was interpreted correctly.  It was misstated by Bridgewater.

Or maybe he meant exactly what he said, and then he realized it didn’t sound so good — especially since he’ll eventually play in Cleveland if he stays with the Vikings.  Under the current scheduling formula, the Browns will host Minnesota in 2017.

Permalink 82 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
82 Responses to “Bridgewater says his comments about not wanting to play for the Browns were misinterpreted”
  1. sonofad says: Jun 24, 2014 7:56 PM

Is it just me, or is the ball starting to squirt out of his tiny hand in that picture?

2. whatthehellisgoingonoutthere says: Jun 24, 2014 7:57 PM

This guy is clearly too stupid to play QB in the NFL. Either that or he believes everyone else is dumb enough to believe his spin when his own words are impossible to misinterpret.

Just another T-Jack 2.0.

3. hor2012 says: Jun 24, 2014 7:59 PM

whatthehellisgoingonoutthere
    or another Christain Ponder

4. 4grammarpolice says: Jun 24, 2014 8:02 PM

It’s okay Teddy; Manziel doesn’t want to play there either.

5. revren10 says: Jun 24, 2014 8:02 PM

More excuses from teddy bustwater aka Akili Smith 2.0. Zero Super Bowl championships. Couldn’t carry Brady or garappolo’s jock strap

6. rav3nsownste3lers says: Jun 24, 2014 8:02 PM

No they weren’t.

7. brutus3413 says: Jun 24, 2014 8:07 PM

As a Browns fan, I can say that we have/had no interest in another sub-par QB from the great state of Kentucky. (I’m looking at you Tim Couch) If you want to sink a crucial free throw, you find a kid from Kentucky, but if you want to score TDs…it’s best to look elsewhere.

8. thestrategyexpert says: Jun 24, 2014 8:10 PM

It’s Water after the Bridge.

9. whodeynation14 says: Jun 24, 2014 8:12 PM

Lol something him and LeBron have in common

10. wholelottaawesome says: Jun 24, 2014 8:12 PM

He doesn’t want to burn any bridges in the league. When his coach and AllDay are gone in 3 seasons, he’ll need a fall back team.

Vikes go SKOL and 16 this year. Book it.

11. qdog112 says: Jun 24, 2014 8:13 PM

Based on the circus, nobody from Haslam on down doesn’t wanna be there. Heck, Haslam has even committed a crime(allegedly) to get out.

whatthehellisgoingonoutthere says:
    Jun 24, 2014 7:57 PM
    This guy is clearly too stupid to play QB in the NFL.
    *************
    Well, Imus what color is he? How many black QBs before all the bigots run to minority-safe enclave?

12. Norseman says: Jun 24, 2014 8:13 PM

Um… no… Bridgewater meant what he said- just trying to be more polite about it after the fact.

Who DOES want to play for the Browns?

Seriously.

13. Norseman says: Jun 24, 2014 8:15 PM

@brutus3413 -

14. 1rockyracoon says: Jun 24, 2014 8:15 PM

Teddy should know that we understand his desire not to play in Cleveland. It’s not exactly an attractive franchise to play for. As a young QB you want to play for a stable franchise.

15. thestrategyexpert says: Jun 24, 2014 8:15 PM

Actually that should be a lowercase ‘water’, please interpret it that way instead. Gosh, on second thought maybe I shouldn’t have typed anything at all!

16. brownsmakemecrazy says: Jun 24, 2014 8:17 PM

Lol this guy is a regular rocket scientist. My comments were misinterpreted but I actually just Confirmed what everyone heard me say.

We didn’t want you to play here either Teddy. Feeling is mutual.

17. indriocv says: Jun 24, 2014 8:18 PM

Baby hands Bridgewater

18. packhawk04 says: Jun 24, 2014 8:24 PM

When i said i didnt want to play for the browns, i didnt mean i didnt want to play for the browns. I meant…

Uh….

something else.

19. themeccalambeaufield says: Jun 24, 2014 8:30 PM

Manziel will thrive while Bridgewater will dive.

20. f1restarter says: Jun 24, 2014 8:31 PM

Browns > Vikings.

At least the Browns have won a championship.

21. bigbenh8tr says: Jun 24, 2014 8:36 PM

I can’t take anyone seriously who actually cares about the Vikings

22. nomoreseasontix says: Jun 24, 2014 8:41 PM

“I really meant that I didn’t want to play in Cleveland. For the Browns, Indians or anyone else”

23. texansdan says: Jun 24, 2014 8:41 PM

I think the Browns are going to have the better year. Not great, but better. #wreckthisleague

24. nomoreseasontix says: Jun 24, 2014 8:42 PM

I know what he meant. I spent a month in Cleveland one week….

25. leatherface2012 says: Jun 24, 2014 8:42 PM

indriocv says:
    Jun 24, 2014 8:18 PM
    Baby hands Bridgewater

yep a whole 1/8 inch smaller than rodgers

26. urbusted2 says: Jun 24, 2014 8:43 PM

Seems to me there was another QB out of Kentucky that didn’t do all the bad… ever hear of Johnny Unitas? I HAVE. The Browns beat him 27-0 in the 64 Title game.

27. leatherface2012 says: Jun 24, 2014 8:44 PM

whatthehellisgoingonoutthere
    or another Christain Ponder

learn to spell his name correctly

28. nicofthenorthstar says: Jun 24, 2014 8:45 PM

Qdog112, you nailed it with this:

whatthehellisgoingonoutthere says:
    Jun 24, 2014 7:57 PM
    This guy is clearly too stupid to play QB in the NFL.
    *************

Gotta love some of the comments folks make about/comparing black QBs to other players. I can never tell if these types are trying to thinly veil their racism, or if they just don’t even realize how ridiculous their opinions are.

Oh, and by the way, the racist team name needs to go too. Regardless of what some Washington Rednecks might think.

29. darkneptune73 says: Jun 24, 2014 8:56 PM

Bridgewater will prove the haters wrong. Mark my words.

30. beerbratscheese says: Jun 24, 2014 8:57 PM

Bridgewater doesn’t deny saying what he said to Patrick about Cleveland: “I actually told my agent that’s not the place where I wanted to be.”

I get it. Teddy would mind playing for Cleveland; it just wasn’t “the place where I wanted to be”. So was he hoping the Browns would have 16 road games if they drafted him?

31. pillowporkers says: Jun 24, 2014 8:58 PM

@firestarter

the vikings have won multiple championships too. Way to attempt to sound smart but end up making yourself look dumb.

32. beerbratscheese says: Jun 24, 2014 8:58 PM

*wouldn’t.

33. atthemurph says: Jun 24, 2014 8:58 PM

Bridgewater is going to suck. His “drop” in the draft had nothing to do with his pro day fiasco. The fiasco was simply confirmation that he isn’t a pro-ready QB.

He doesn’t have a pro arm. He doesn’t have a pro throwing motion. He doesn’t have “it” which at least Manziel exudes. That kid is electric. Bridgewater? Meh.

34. jimmysee says: Jun 24, 2014 8:59 PM

So this is the guy who is going to lead the Vikings to multiple Super Bowl titles?

Well. OK.

35. jimmysee says: Jun 24, 2014 9:01 PM

Johnny Unitas — Kentucky. Unitas played in Kentucky back when Daniel Boone was living there.

They were neighbors.

You can look it up.

36. GenXJay says: Jun 24, 2014 9:08 PM

In this world of the politically correct, Theodore said the right thing on DP.
    He could of said worse. Like, “greenbay” or “redskin.”

37. whatjusthapped says: Jun 24, 2014 9:15 PM

The Vikings may be scheduled to play at Cleveland in 2017 but it is way too optimistic to assume that Bustwater will still be in the NFL or even remaining on the Viking’s team given their propensity to cycle thru QB, much less starting for them.

So I see no harm in his statement, rather than have anyone assume he is an idiot, he spoke up and removed all doubt.

38. themeccalambeaufield says: Jun 24, 2014 9:16 PM

Look at that throwing motion in that picture it looks like he is doing the chicken dance which by no coincidence is the favorite dance for all minnesotans after hooking up with their cousin.

39. kosarsmyidol says: Jun 24, 2014 9:21 PM

I don’t know why people are acting like Bridgewater took a swipe at Cleveland. The quote from the original article was pretty innocuous, as Bridgewater pretty much said that he didn’t want to get drafted by the Browns because Minnesota had made such a good impression on him.

People are too eager to get into an uproar over nothing, and this is coming from a Browns fan living in the Cleveland area who hates it when people rip the city.

40. thegonz13 says: Jun 24, 2014 9:38 PM

“I actually told my agent that that’s not the place where I wanted to be,” Bridgewater said of Cleveland. “Throughout this entire process, I felt comfortable with the Minnesota Vikings. From every visit I had with the team, it was a family environment, the players are great guys, a great group of guys, so I felt comfortable wanting to play here.”

Yep, you said it. The first sentence is clear as a bell. Nice try, Teddy, but neither I nor the entire city of Cleveland could misinterpret that. On the plus side, your agent taught you the word “misinterpret”. It already came in handy…

41. mediasloppy says: Jun 24, 2014 9:38 PM

He said that like a month ago shortly after the draft. It’s a bold statement from the heart, because MN was very clear that they wanted to pick him. I can’t fault a guy for basically saying I was hoping to be drafted by the Vikings, because they made the most effort to welcome me into the NFL.

42. 34defense2014 says: Jun 24, 2014 9:40 PM

Funny you should say that. A Buddy of mine who played Football said. “Maybe he has small hands”? He also said the same thing about the Jets Wideout Stephen Hill.

43. swagger52 says: Jun 24, 2014 9:50 PM

Bridgewater seems dumb enough, he would have been a perfect fit for Cleveland.

Bridgewater has a new nickname – Proverbs

It is better to say nothing and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

44. whatthehellisgoingonoutthere says: Jun 24, 2014 9:52 PM

Only a Vikings fan could possibly believe that winning the NFC and losing the SB is a “championship”. SKOLOLOL

45. whatthehellisgoingonoutthere says: Jun 24, 2014 10:03 PM

It is beyond mind boggling to see a Vikings fan call someone out and imply that the Vikings have won multiple championships. Unreal.

46. jayblack073 says: Jun 24, 2014 10:04 PM

It’s not like he said “I’m gonna pull a baby manning and not play for the Browns if they pick me”. He said he’d rather not play in Cleveland and he wanted to play in Minnesota. Stupid media blowing everything out of proportion as usual, and the brain-dead pfters, not being capable of any original thought, just buy into it. Makes a lot of sense actually.

47. SneezingNinja says: Jun 24, 2014 10:05 PM

pillowporkers says:
    Jun 24, 2014 8:58 PM
    @firestarter

—-
    Well they’ve won 1 actual championship back in the late 60′s I believe. This was back before teams played in a Super Bowl which means no Lombardi trophy was around. Technically yes, per NFL record books, the Vikings do actually have a championship under their belt. Many can dispute it but if its in the books then its in the books.

48. ragnarthemagnificent says: Jun 24, 2014 10:12 PM

Nobody wants to play in Cleveland Teddy. They destroy good players and the town is awful. They’ll have a new coach next year and the year after that. Cleveland is the biggest joke in the NFL. Welcome to the Vikings, you look great in purple. SKOL!

49. rrhoe says: Jun 24, 2014 10:22 PM

“Baby Hands”,OMG,is that his nickname for real???

50. sportsfan18 says: Jun 24, 2014 10:31 PM

Of course it came out wrong…

Just like his passes came out wrong at his Pro Day…

The reason his words were misinterpreted was because he wasn’t wearing his gloves during the presser…

51. lerch77 says: Jun 24, 2014 10:51 PM

I think Bridgewater needs to save his backpedal for the football field…

52. wheezerswin says: Jun 24, 2014 11:13 PM

Much ado about nothing. Must be the off season

53. kmacktruck says: Jun 24, 2014 11:25 PM

“Under the current scheduling formula, the Browns will host Minnesota in 2017.”

In other words, Teddy will never play a game in Cleveland since he will be out of the league by then.

54. campcouch says: Jun 24, 2014 11:33 PM

Wow,it’s so original to hear “nobody wants to play for Cleveland”. But people keep signing and re-signing contracts,so it’s a safe bet that a few guys choose to. I guess it could be worse,like squandering one of the all-time great running backs,seeing your stadium collapse and watching your players move to another team and win a title. Cleveland doesn’t have those worries since no one wants to play there.

55. johntonioholmes says: Jun 24, 2014 11:51 PM

Maybe, potentially, plausibly he said, “[Cleveland] is not where I want to be” because Minnesota was where he wanted to be. You know, like right now, Youngstown, Ohio is not where I want to be. I’m not bashing the city; I don’t want to be here because I want to be in Hawaii.

In other words, he might not have been knocking Cleveland as much as he was lobbying for Minnesota. That would make his defense semi-logical, if still inarticulate.

Of course, that’s probably not what he was getting at, but still…

56. gpenpilot says: Jun 25, 2014 12:08 AM

Im still convinced this guy is a 12 year old lying about his age. You can tell in his face he’s got one of those super muscle genetic disorders

57. gmsalpha says: Jun 25, 2014 12:39 AM

Isn’t this kind of the same thing as when the ugly dude gets rejected by the hot chick?

“I didn’t want to go out with her, anyway”.

58. purplezimmerpride says: Jun 25, 2014 12:40 AM

darkneptune73 says: Jun 24, 2014 8:56 PM

Bridgewater will prove the haters wrong. Mark my words.

__________________________________

How is he going to prove that he wants to play for the browns?!?

59. wallydippins says: Jun 25, 2014 12:56 AM

He would need to have bigger hands in order to be successful playing in Cleveland.

60. coachkilla6 says: Jun 25, 2014 12:58 AM

@pillowporker

I didn’t know zero championships equated to “multiple championships”. Only in Minnesota could someone have logic like that. Everyone knows Kansas City defeated the Vikings in the SB in 1969 so your claim to even a single championship is void.

#nosuccessin50+years

61. Kevin Lanflisi's Rosebud says: Jun 25, 2014 1:00 AM

He doesn’t have a pro arm. He doesn’t have a pro throwing motion.

———————————-

You should grade college QB’s professionally. Because your assertion flies in the face of just about every analyst or scouting report I’ve read or heard on Bridgewater. Nobody knows if he’s going to succeed or fail in the NFL, but the majority of the analysts said he is the most NFL ready QB in the 2014 draft. Most said Bortles had a higher ceiling though, and many said Manziel almost never read down to his 2nd or 3rd progressions (which I heard Carrucci on Sirius NFL say he still can’t do with Cleveland). They didn’t like the fact that Manziel would see his 1st WR option covered, and just run (his “it” factor). He consistently ran with WR options wide open.

62. jdubs82 says: Jun 25, 2014 1:28 AM

@whatthehellisgoingonoutthere
    A QB not wanting to play for the browns is a sign of intelligence…not stupidity

With that said, and I’m a Bears fan so it pains me to say but Bridgewater will be the best QB taken in the 1st round by a mile. Manziel won’t be horrible, but Bridgewater is easily a better pro QB. Bortles shouldn’t have even been drafted on the first day But I’d say it’s likely to be Bridgewater or Carr as the top two.. Manziel as 3, but a distant third, and then the rest of the mess

63. golynxgo says: Jun 25, 2014 2:03 AM

Funny how all these Vikings are misunderstood.
    Well they are misunderstood by their fans……They already think this team is the best in the NFC North

64. therealraider says: Jun 25, 2014 2:10 AM

pillowporkers says: Jun 24, 2014 8:58 PM

@firestarter

———————————————————-

The Vikings have never won a Super Bowl .. But I guess NFC Championships are technically “Championships”.. Just not what most fans would be satisfied with.

65. denverdude7 says: Jun 25, 2014 3:56 AM

Karma 101:

In 2-3 years when Cleveland cuts Manziel and Minnesota cuts Bridgewater, both teams will give the other teams bust a try under the “change of scenery” thought pattern.

Good Luck with that…

66. rhodesclosed29 says: Jun 25, 2014 4:48 AM

Get used to seeing his name, bc he’s going to blow up and become THE QB who will stand out in this years 2014 QB class. ppl hate on teddy simply bc he’s with the Vikings. if he was drafted somewhere else people would be singing a diff. tune, they won’t admit it. but the writing is on the wall.

Go Vikes!!

67. trspat says: Jun 25, 2014 6:33 AM

Well I can understand not wanting to play in Cleveland, but wanting TO play in Minnesota? Yeah, black or white….not that bright. I watched him play plenty of times and can assure you that he’s going to end up as a backup at best. Best guess is he gets injured rather quickly.

68. ravenswhat says: Jun 25, 2014 7:04 AM

Teddy, nobody wants to play in Cle. It’s ok bro.

69. chris1cat says: Jun 25, 2014 7:27 AM

jimmysee says:

Well. OK.
    *************************************************
    Rock N’ Skol

70. larryboodry says: Jun 25, 2014 8:09 AM

pillowporkers says:

“the vikings have won multiple championships too.”

Not NFL ones…Or maybe you meant some HS team somewhere that calls themselves the Vikings.

As for Teddy Backtracker, saying you’d rather play for the Vikes over the Browns is like saying “Hey, they both suck, but Cleveland sucks worse.”

He’s screwed either way.

71. perkjctc says: Jun 25, 2014 10:20 AM

Don’t try to take it back, NOBODY want to play in Cleveland… in ANY sport. The town is a garbage dump and the teams are just a reflection of the town. Be a man and have the courage of your convictions.

72. sonofad says: Jun 25, 2014 10:55 AM

Teddy is a lot like Akili Smith, but devoid of any talent.

73. Aaron Rodgers Has Tiny Hands says: Jun 25, 2014 11:27 AM

Just like Brett Favre, Teddy Bridgewater’s fondest desire was always to play for the Minnesota Vikings. Can you blame him?

74. Aaron Rodgers Has Tiny Hands says: Jun 25, 2014 11:29 AM

So we’re ripping Bridgewater because he said he wanted to play for the team that drafted him rather than a team that didn’t draft him. What would we be saying about him if he had said he was hoping to go to Cleveland?

75. Aaron Rodgers Has Tiny Hands says: Jun 25, 2014 11:32 AM

Wow, Rick Spielman, Mike Zimmer, and Norv Turner really should have checked with the PFT commenters before drafting Bridgewater. I’m sure they had no idea he was devoid of any talent, had a weak arm, didn’t have an NFL throwing motion, had baby hands, and was stupid.

Of course, Cleveland’s own $100K study said Bridgewater was the best QB in the draft, but that certainly can’t be as meaningful as free advice from haters.

76. jrmbadger says: Jun 25, 2014 11:44 AM

SneezingNinja says:
    Jun 24, 2014 10:05 PM
    ……
    —-
    ==================================

While they did win an NFL championship in 1969, while it was prior to the NFL-AFL merger, it was still AFTER the institution of the Super Bowl which was in 1966. In 1969 they lost to the Chiefs in Superbowl IV. So in 1969, the Chiefs were the champions, not the Vikings.

77. themeccalambeaufield says: Jun 25, 2014 11:55 AM

leatherface2012 says:
    Jun 24, 2014 8:42 PM

indriocv says:
    Jun 24, 2014 8:18 PM
    Baby hands Bridgewater

yep a whole 1/8 inch smaller than rodgers

If you are going to repeat something someone has said you might want to make sure it is factual first. Rodgers hands are over an inch bigger than Bridgewaters making his hands look like Tyrion Lannister’s in comparison.

78. Kevin Lanflisi's Rosebud says: Jun 25, 2014 12:53 PM

themeccalambeaufield says:
    Jun 25, 2014 11:55 AM
    leatherface2012 says:
    Jun 24, 2014 8:42 PM

indriocv says:
    Jun 24, 2014 8:18 PM
    Baby hands Bridgewater

yep a whole 1/8 inch smaller than rodgers

————————–

USAToday, CBS Sports, ESPN.com and a few other smaller sites listed Rodgers’ hands to be measured at 9 3/8. While I’ve only seen a couple Packer fans that write for the Milwaukee paper and another Wisconsin publication listed his hands over 10″. Sounds like hopeful reporting to me.

79. stellarperformance says: Jun 25, 2014 1:34 PM

When Bridgewater makes a fist, it is small enough to fit in his mouth. That is where it belongs.

80. stellarperformance says: Jun 25, 2014 1:38 PM

By the way, Rodgers’ hand size is 10-1/8″. Fact. Believing anything else is purely selective. The often-repeated incorrect size of 9-3/8″ is hard to circumvent, but is incorrect just the same.

81. simonator917 says: Jun 25, 2014 4:44 PM

I like Teddy B, but if you said it, own it.

82. mrfrostyj says: Jun 25, 2014 9:13 PM

I said he’d be eating his words as soon as he realized where the rookie symposium was.

Don’t take it personal Cleveland. The only reason he said it is he believed the ESPN hype that was generated for him to create interest in the QB’s that were expected to go ahead of Johnny Manziel. Most mock drafts had Bridgewater to Cleveland with one of their two first round picks and the sports media even reported that the Browns had done a study saying they should pick him which he obviously believed was going to happen.

Not only were all the reports wrong but Bridgewater was close to not being drafted by ANYONE in the first round so obviously he’s going to take his frustrations out on the team that either he or his agent thought it was a slum dunk that he’d be drafted by.

Remember, Ryan Leaf said he didn’t want to go Indianapolis either after the fact.