Jonathan Cooper not quite fully recovered from broken leg

Jonathan Cooper AP

The Cardinals made guard Jonathan Cooper a first round pick in April 2013 and they’re still waiting to see him play in a regular season game after a broken leg in preseason ended Cooper’s rookie season before it even started.

Cooper has made a lot of progress since he initially suffered the injury, but coach Bruce Arians says that the player still has “a ways to go” before he’s going to be back to the player the Cardinals picked last year. Cooper agrees with that assessment.

“I think I have progressed quite a bit but not quite game ready,” Cooper said, via ESPN.com. “I’ve come out here and I’ve done everything they’ve asked me to do rehab wise and lifting wise and on the field to the best of my ability. But my performance isn’t quite where it needs to be for Game 1.”

Despite that, Cooper has been taking the first-team snaps at left guard and he feels confident he’ll be at full strength come training camp. Better play from the offensive line would be a move in the right direction for a Cardinals team that will be trying for double-digit wins again this year. With Karlos Dansby and Daryl Washington gone from the defense that carried them last year, the offense will need to do a bit more than it did last season and a healthy Cooper should help on that front.

Permalink 11 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Home, Rumor Mill
11 Responses to “Jonathan Cooper not quite fully recovered from broken leg”
  1. bassplucker says: Jun 24, 2014 11:52 AM

Wow… you spend a top-10 pick on a G, lose his services for his entire rookie season and then he’s still questionable going into season 2. That bites.

2. luz56 says: Jun 24, 2014 12:19 PM

Believe it or not even injured he’s better than what we had last year

3. hansenbrothers says: Jun 24, 2014 12:39 PM

I hope it’s not a Derek sherrod situation for them where it drags on for years.

4. firerogergoodell says: Jun 24, 2014 12:52 PM

Can’t possibly be worse than the Levi Brown pick…

5. j0esixpack says: Jun 24, 2014 1:09 PM

Geeze son, just rub some dirt on it and get in there

6. beardinals says: Jun 24, 2014 1:20 PM

He was one of the most explosive, athletic linemen before the injury. It will take a while to get the muscles back to where they need to be for 100% duty.

He’s probably at a “serviceable” level at this point.

7. jdvan81 says: Jun 24, 2014 1:33 PM

Must have been one heck of a break. Hopefully he gets a chance to show what he can do protecting old man Palmer.

8. dwoofer says: Jun 24, 2014 2:04 PM

Wow, a season-ending injury for a #1 draft pick incurred in a meaningless pre-season game.

Honey Badger returning punts? Ridiculous.

Not one 2013 Cardinals draft pick was a starter at the end of the season.

Let’s hope the 2014 draft class pans out.

9. ranger40 says: Jun 24, 2014 10:33 PM

dwoofer says:
    Jun 24, 2014 2:04 PM

Honey Badger returning punts? Ridiculous.

Not one 2013 Cardinals draft pick was a starter at the end of the season.

Let’s hope the 2014 draft class pans out.
    ________________________________

Preseason may be unwatchable and pointless to some vets, but a rookie playing in preseason is just additional live work that is greatly needed. Honey Badger’s injury is on him and nobody else. Knowing when to go down is part of the game and he has admitted that himself. I guess putting Peterson back there his rookie season after going number 5 was ridiculous, except for the 5 he returned for TD’s. Cooper, Minter, Mathieu, Watford, and Ellington may all be starting week 1 of this season. Thank you to Steve Keim for sticking to your guns, drafting based on your team’s evaluation and not listening to idiots that don’t put in a fraction of the work you guys do. 2013 draft will be judged in about 3 years, so dwoofer stick it out buddy.

10. hopper15 says: Jun 25, 2014 11:51 AM

I would never draft an offensive guard inside the top 10 but that’s just me.

11. cardsbaby says: Jun 25, 2014 8:45 PM

I am twice his age and I had a tib/fib break a couple months before he had his leg broken. My leg is not right yet. I know he will heal faster due to the age difference, but his job involves running into 300 lb linemen and pushing as hard as he can 40 times a game. I don’t see him being 100% this year. I wish him the best. We need him.