Mike Carey joins CBS as rules expert for 2014 season

Baltimore Ravens v Minnesota Vikings Getty Images

When the NFL released the list of officials for the 2014 season, Mike Carey was listed as a referee for the 20th consecutive season.

Carey will indeed be seen during games this fall, but he won’t be in his familiar on-field role. CBS Sports called Carey a former NFL official in a Tuesday announcement that he would be joining the network’s Thursday night and Sunday broadcasts as a rules expert.

“So many times throughout the years of watching Mike officiate, I often thought it would be great to have him someday work for CBS explaining the calls on the field,” CBS Sports Chairman Sean McManus said in a statement from the network.  “We’re excited that this has now come to fruition.  He will be a great complement to our Thursday Night Football and Sunday afternoon coverage.”

Carey spent 24 years as an NFL official and became the second African-American ref in league history in 1995. He subsequently became the first African-American to referee a Super Bowl when he officiated Super Bowl XLII between the Patriots and Giants.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
33 Responses to “Mike Carey joins CBS as rules expert for 2014 season”
  1. doctorrustbelt says: Jun 24, 2014 6:07 PM

TRANSLATION: More penalties and more commercials

2. marima07 says: Jun 24, 2014 6:10 PM

Hm… Any chance the NFL hires a consistency expert?

3. grndizzle says: Jun 24, 2014 6:12 PM

CBS must have offered him some serious money. I always thought he was one of the best refs, I’m sure he we will be good in his new position.

4. wnbasuperfan says: Jun 24, 2014 6:16 PM

I always liked his style of refereeing, it’s a shame to see him go.

5. pftree says: Jun 24, 2014 6:16 PM

Mike Carey eh? Sure does look like Marvin Harrison #88 in a zebra suit.

6. wisconsinhillfolk says: Jun 24, 2014 6:18 PM

Now we’re left with that one dude with the lisp.

7. valhallavictory says: Jun 24, 2014 6:28 PM

I enjoyed his moderately flamboyant call style. Definitely different but he was one of the few officials worthy of doing a Super Bowl.

Might be a Prince joke in there. I haven’t decided yet.

8. drunkwino says: Jun 24, 2014 6:28 PM

I see the definition of expert has been drastically changed.

9. gpenpilot says: Jun 24, 2014 6:51 PM

Never likes this guy being a Bucs fan. I was at the 2005 playoff game between the Bucs and Redskins where the Bucs got screwed over a controversial overturn by Carey. Chris Simms threw a beautiful catch to Edell Shepherd to put us up. After seeing the catch replayed a 100 times I have no idea what prompted Carey to overrule it. This was a playoff game where the Bucs defense actually had a fighting a chance to do some damage in the playoffs had they advanced.

Remember Sean Taylor spitting in Michael Pittman’s face that game as well.

10. nawlinssaints1956 says: Jun 24, 2014 6:58 PM

Mike was one of the best referees in the NFL. I’m sure he will be a great addition to the coverage.

11. abninf says: Jun 24, 2014 7:07 PM

“and became the second African-American ref in league history in 1995.

==================================

You guys actually keep track of that? What does his skin color have to do with anything?

12. armorgan67 says: Jun 24, 2014 7:09 PM

Correct if I’m wrong but how did Carey overrule the call? Was he the replay official too? I’m a Redskins fan and it was a close call but Carey didn’t make the final decision , that’s not the way I remember it happening. That was the game in which Taylor spit and when the player he spit on popped Taylor right in front of Carey he didn’t penalize him for it but he gave Taylor a penalty.

13. osiris33 says: Jun 24, 2014 7:09 PM

You people are nuts. This guy was the worst, most flag happy ref in the game. Mike Holmgren recently said of him “he thinks people pay their money to watch him throw his flag.”

Thank god he is gone. The worst of the worst. I will breathe easier knowing he will never ref one my teams games again.

14. buzzardpointlookout says: Jun 24, 2014 7:25 PM

osiris33 says:
    Jun 24, 2014 7:09 PM

——————————————————

^This. Every word of this.

Seventeen regular season games and at least two playoff games just got a wee bit shorter.

Most flag happy officiating crew ever.

I really dislike that ‘celebrefereeing’ has become a thing.

15. aldavisfortytime says: Jun 24, 2014 7:30 PM

Mike Carey, who was actually decent is gone…

And we still have Scott Green, Jeff Triplette, Ron Winter, Bill Vinovich, and Gene Steratore.

God help us all.

16. mburkett1980 says: Jun 24, 2014 7:32 PM

Going to miss his dramatic calls…holding :::pause:::: DEFENSE

17. einherjer00 says: Jun 24, 2014 7:39 PM

Now CBS will have a former employee of NFL officiating that makes poor excuses for bad calls, just like Fox. Exciting!

18. ialwayswantedtobeabanker says: Jun 24, 2014 7:42 PM

(1) This guy was my favorite ref of all-time (pure class, poise, composure, competence) [Honorable Mention to the late Red "First Dowwwwwwwn" Cashion]

(2) Can you believe Carey is going on 70 years old? The guy looks half that age. Ponce De Leon’s descendants are wondering what Carey has been drinking from.

19. tvjules says: Jun 24, 2014 7:43 PM

Good move, CBS.
    I do wonder if he’ll be willing to call out his former peers when they make a wrong call.

20. queenlivekillers says: Jun 24, 2014 8:13 PM

A backhanded compliment to Fox and Mike Pereira. They were the ground breakers.

21. bornahawker says: Jun 24, 2014 8:37 PM

Marginal ref

22. nomoreseasontix says: Jun 24, 2014 8:44 PM

Crappy official. I hope he’s better in the studio.
    He can pander to the league office like Mike what’s-his-name…

23. 93warchant says: Jun 24, 2014 8:51 PM

I have watched Mike Careys career n he was average at best period. he’s penalty flag happy officiating was detrimental to the flow of an NFL game.

24. cags777 says: Jun 24, 2014 9:48 PM

Mike Carey may have been penalty-friendly. But he was a hell of a lot better than Jeff Triplette and Pete Morelli – both of whom should’ve been out of the NFL long ago.

25. offthelows says: Jun 24, 2014 11:33 PM

Mike Carey is the Dick Clark (well, when Dick Clark was alive) of officials.. Dude is 65 years old.

26. abreathofsanity says: Jun 24, 2014 11:53 PM

I like Mike

27. palatypus says: Jun 25, 2014 12:34 AM

Mike Carey acted like every minor transgression of the rules was a personal assault on his character. He’s a horrible referee. He has two skiing accessory businesses (Winter Mountain and Seirus) in the San Francisco Bay area that compete directly with a Seattle company (R.E.I.). And it showed when he reffed the game in San Francisco last year.

28. mrcogburn says: Jun 25, 2014 1:02 AM

Had the sissiest first down signal in the game.

29. numberoneinthehoodg says: Jun 25, 2014 4:05 AM

Hey Norm! (its Colin) Hey Norm, If you were a hotdog, would you eat yourself? I’d smoother myself in mustard….. It’s nice to see Harry’s nephew advance to bigger and better things. I hope he gets plastered and does his job in such a manner.

30. patriotsdefense says: Jun 25, 2014 8:08 AM

Many fans still disagree with his interpration of “in the grasp” but I feel he was still a great ref.

My most memorable call of his was a 2001 regular season game when Patriots WR David Patten fumbled the ball in Buffalo. The ball remained in play while Patten lay out of bounds. Because Patten’s arm was touching the ball while his body was contacting the out of bounds line, Carey correctly overturned the call of a fumble for the proper call of a dead ball. It was a high drama OT decision and Carey very professionally handled it.

31. mysterytonite says: Jun 25, 2014 9:30 AM

September 2006, Justin Smith sacks Bruce Gradkowski on 4th down with a minute left and the Bengals have defeated the Bucs in Tampa on a nail biter. Wait a minute Mike Carey throws a flag after the play say in Smith roughed Gradkowski who was flailing in the wind trying to get away and Smith had to put him down on the ground. Tampa gets a new set of downs inside the ten yard line and ultimately score on a fourth down pass to steal the victory. Bengals miss the playoffs by one game.

I never forgot that and have always held that against Carey. It is nice to know that I am not the only one who is happy he is out of stripes.

32. acmepackers says: Jun 25, 2014 10:33 PM

He could bungle a game with the best of them

33. rajbais says: Jun 26, 2014 1:31 AM

One of the best officials that the game has had. He will be missed.