sam montgomery texans getty Getty Images

Bengals defensive end Sam Montgomery was ticketed for speeding on Wednesday morning in South Carolina, the Laurens County (S.C.) Sheriff’s Office confirmed to PFT.

Montgomery’s citation was first reported by Fox Carolina. WYFF4.com also reported on Montgomery’s ticket.

According to Lt. Francine Champagne of the sheriff’s office, Montgomery was ticketed for being clocked at 89 mph in a 55 mph zone. The citation drew a $355 fine, and Montgomery was booked into the county jail early Wednesday morning. According to the sheriff’s office, it’s not uncommon to be booked for being alleged to have been traveling more than 25 mph over the limit.

Montgomery was released this morning on his own recognizance, according to the sheriff’s office. He has a July 16 court date in the county, Lt. Champagne said.

The 24-year-old Montgomery signed with the Bengals in April. He was a third-round pick of the Texans out of Louisiana State in 2013.

According to data from the sheriff’s office, the date of birth for Montgomery matches the one cited in his online NFL and LSU biographies. Also, an online record of the arrest no longer on the sheriff’s office website listed Montgomery’s address in Greenwood, South Carolina, which was listed as his hometown in his LSU bio.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Home, Houston Texans, Rumor Mill
24 Responses to “Bengals DE Sam Montgomery cited for speeding, released after being briefly booked”
  1. ariani1985 says: Jun 25, 2014 12:11 PM

Typical packer move

2. doctorrustbelt says: Jun 25, 2014 12:18 PM

Speeding gets a story?!?

I guess speeding is equal to beating up your spouse and dragging her thru a casino.

3. steelerben says: Jun 25, 2014 12:27 PM

We’re only concerned about defensive ends speeding when it is Jadaveon Clowney.

4. marvsleezy says: Jun 25, 2014 12:38 PM

So, to be clear, in South Carolina, a black man was put in jail just for speeding.

That’s stupid.

5. handsofsweed says: Jun 25, 2014 12:39 PM

This story isn’t (or shouldn’t) be about football, or rivalries between fans, or poop-talking on the Bengals.

The real story is: WHY IN THE HELL DID HE GET BOOKED FOR SPEEDING??? I find it incredibly disturbing that someone gets arrested even briefly for going 89 in a 55.

Now if he is drunk or shuttling cocaine or something, that’s fine. But our government should NOT have the ability to arrest for 89 in a 55.

6. denverwally says: Jun 25, 2014 12:48 PM

Dude got a speeding ticket. Wow. Slow football news day.
    And for full disclosure, I got a speeding ticket two weeks ago from the Arapahoe County Sherriffs department for doing 58 in a 45 mph zone. A 4 point ticket, but if I pay by mail or online it is lowered to a 2 point ticket (something like a tail light broken).
    Any other law breakers who need to fess up on this site?

7. jawill5 says: Jun 25, 2014 12:50 PM

Oh and that it’s not uncommon.

8. mookfromcincy says: Jun 25, 2014 12:55 PM

It’s sad that professional athletes LITERALLY ….. can’t do anything!! Not only is this uneventful press, but just imagine if every mistake all of us made was reported through social media.

9. FinFan68 says: Jun 25, 2014 12:56 PM

marvsleezy says:
    Jun 25, 2014 12:38 PM

That’s stupid.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you want things to be clear, read the article and not just the headline.

He was way over the speed limit and arrests are not uncommon–you unnecessarily added a racial element

10. mancave001 says: Jun 25, 2014 12:57 PM

Getting booked for a speeding violation like that is stupid…never should happen. The fine is also outrageous and does not fit the crime.

11. thegenoatkinsdiet says: Jun 25, 2014 1:02 PM

I forgot the Bengals had even signed this guy. Complete non-factor, will be gone in about 8 weeks.

Oh… and WTH SC?

12. denverdude7 says: Jun 25, 2014 1:05 PM

Kind of surprising he got caught speeding in South Carolina.

The drivers there are usually traveling 15 mph UNDER the speed limit in the high speed lane and won’t allow anyone to pass them.

I’m beginning to think its the state sport or something…

13. trollhammer20 says: Jun 25, 2014 1:15 PM

In some states, being 30 or more over the limit is considered “reckless driving”, and can lead to an arrest.

I fell 2 mph short of getting reckless in California, 98 mph in a 70. I-5 was empty except for the guy in the Chevy Tahoe in the right lane who stayed right in my blind spot regardless of what speed I was doing (I call such drivers “Klingons”). So I decided to open up a little space and see what that 244 hp V6 could do. Cop was coming the other direction, and I had the radio cranked too high to hear the radar detector. Whoops.

14. cincyfan0890 says: Jun 25, 2014 1:32 PM

It’s not just a SC thing. When I was 17 I got pulled over for 80 in a 55, cop said if i was over 18 he would have cuffed me and taken me in for 25 over. Guess it is a common law?

15. tjacks7 says: Jun 25, 2014 1:45 PM

I was once running late for work and got pulled over going 92 in a 65. The cop said “can you slow down for me?” I said “Yessir, I’ll walk the rest of the way if you don’t give me a ticket.” And he said “just slow down, it’s not that important.” Thank god there are awesome cops out there.

16. DrSteveBrule says: Jun 25, 2014 1:57 PM

Hauling a sober guy back to the station for speeding at 12:30am and giving him a $355 ticket. Meanwhile drunken drivers o’plenty cruising around freely. That sounds like a good use of police/government time and resources.

17. radiofriendly420 says: Jun 25, 2014 2:24 PM

55 mph speed limit and he was able to hit 89 mph? Sounds like the speed limit needs to get raised.

18. vottorific says: Jun 25, 2014 2:29 PM

Blah blah blah…… Gonna be a long month till camps get going.

19. mousietongue says: Jun 25, 2014 2:39 PM

Wouldn’t be a story except the guy already got released once for
    smoking blunts in the team hotel the night before a game.

20. corvetteman6 says: Jun 25, 2014 4:02 PM

It’s always funny to me that the most boring team in the NFL makes more headlines in the off season than they do when they are in-season.
    6-10, anyone?

21. coachbeck says: Jun 26, 2014 12:10 AM

20 miles over is a felony in many states. Yes it’s ridiculous to be booked but I know someone who was arrested and held for three days because they went to the wrong court room to pay a speeding ticket.

22. jaxbeachjagfan says: Jun 26, 2014 10:53 AM

Dude has never played one single down in the NFL. WTF?

23. joetoronto says: Jun 27, 2014 4:57 AM

He’s just a Bungal that’s trying to keep it real.

24. empty82 says: Jun 30, 2014 12:21 PM

Seems to me that people whine and moan when athletes/celebrities are let off easy just because they are famous, yet this one gets cited and booked according to the letter of the law and yet people complain about that too.

Speeding kills more innocent people than drunk driving, so if you’re dumb enough to drive 34 miles over the limit, then you deserve to get caught. No sympathy from me.