Titans coordinator talks up Jake Locker: “He’s worked his butt off”

Jake Locker AP

First-year Titans offensive coordinator Jason Michael says fourth-year quarterback Jake Locker should be ready for big things this season.

Michael told the team’s website that Locker, who missed nine games last season and is recovering from foot surgery, is showing exactly the kind of dedication that a team expects from its franchise quarterback.

“From day one, he’s worked his butt off from rehabilitation of his foot to jumping in the playbook, to how he’s gone about his preparation on the field,” Michael said. “It’s been a frustrating go at times with his foot, but he’s never shown it. He’s a poised man. I’m excited about working with him. He does some good things that we’ve already seen.”

The Titans didn’t pick up the fifth-year option on Locker’s rookie contract, meaning Locker becomes a free agent after the upcoming season. If Locker is going to make big money next year, he’s going to have to earn it with a big season this year. If Locker keeps working his butt off, he may reap the financial rewards in March. But if he continues to be plagued by injuries, he may find himself just competing to be a backup somewhere. If he can’t stay healthy, it doesn’t matter how hard Locker works.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
30 Responses to “Titans coordinator talks up Jake Locker: “He’s worked his butt off””
  1. skinsfan91 says: Jun 25, 2014 9:15 PM

Hope he plays well. What people fail to realize is the more talented individuals in the game, the better the game is, the longer it will be around.

2. qdog112 says: Jun 25, 2014 9:16 PM

Destined to be a backup. Not drafting his successor was a mistake. The Jags will compete with Indy for the division.

Texans can get in the mix with above average QB play. (not likely) Titans finish last.

3. chinahand11 says: Jun 25, 2014 9:20 PM

I hope Jason is correct. His father was my neighbor growing up, a very successful high school football coach in his own right. We chat now and then. I’m not a Titans fan but I will be sending good thoughts to them this year. Just wanted to give a shout-out to Jason Michael, guys. So c’mon Jake. Don’t screw it up!! :)

4. xjippyx says: Jun 25, 2014 9:24 PM

Locker started 3-1 with ZERO turnovers before getting hurt. I have faith in my QB.

5. tennesseeoilers says: Jun 25, 2014 9:29 PM

The last time I liked an unproven QB this much it was the late ’90s. (Steve McNair)

Right now there are only a few people on the Jake Locker bandwagon–including the driver and the guy riding shotgun. … Better get on board while there’s plenty of room.

6. mwsmith1547 says: Jun 25, 2014 9:32 PM

were pulling for u up here in the land of the 12’s and DAWGS go Jake

7. lionsnati0n says: Jun 25, 2014 9:37 PM

Drafted to early, funny thing is Vikings wanted him bad, even funnier is he was suppose to be the #1 pick his Junior year.

8. huskywolverine says: Jun 25, 2014 9:54 PM

Not sure why people are surprised. Locker ran the WING-T in high school for crying out loud. He barely ever passed and he just ran around (or over) people at Ferndale H.S. He was like the biggest and fastest kid in a pee wee league but he couldn’t pass the ball. An amazing athlete, but a reason many programs recruited him as a safety.

9. campcouch says: Jun 25, 2014 9:56 PM

It’s year four,of course he’s working his butt off. The other three years were lazy time.

10. ariani1985 says: Jun 25, 2014 10:01 PM

Equivalent to the Packers bragging about their horrible defense!

11. donnymacjack says: Jun 25, 2014 10:02 PM

Aside the injuries Jake’s only issue he’s ever had is accuracy from the pocket. I’ve watched him for 10+ years now and he is one hack of a football player.

Move him a bit from the pocket and he’s deadly accurate, but stationary the ball sometimes sails. He’s always been a hard, hard worker, team leader, great athlete and better person.

I hope the guy has a huge season for the Titans. He deserves it. His team deserves it. And Titan fans deserve it.

12. VondyP says: Jun 25, 2014 10:12 PM

Jake Locker is the future of Titans football. If he avoids the injury bug this year Tennessee will offer him a real contract.

13. akabobbo says: Jun 25, 2014 10:18 PM

Seattle fan here. I remember when Jake played at the U. Of W. Always thought he would be a great nfl quarterback. Still do.

14. rascalmanny says: Jun 25, 2014 10:35 PM

I would not have drafted Jake, but I admire his willing heart. I sincerely hope he becomes the QB we need him to be. May God bless him with an outstanding year.

15. uglydingo says: Jun 25, 2014 10:39 PM

He gets too many injuries. Talented but the key ability in the NFL is availability. This is his last roll of the dice in Tennessee.

16. jagsfanugh says: Jun 25, 2014 10:45 PM

Locker is destined to be hurt.

17. tennesseetitan78 says: Jun 25, 2014 10:50 PM

I wish Locker the best this season. Most Titans fans know that he has shown at times he can be a really really good QB, his only down fall is being injury prone. The Titans may surprise some people this season!!

18. bornahawker says: Jun 25, 2014 11:46 PM

Jake is a beast, very fast runner as well, if he can figure out how to stay healthy sky is the limit.
    Go hawks!

19. trapshoot says: Jun 26, 2014 12:07 AM

Hope he finally can live up to his potential.

20. tooz72 says: Jun 26, 2014 12:59 AM

a joke of a QB..Derek Carr is a REAL NFL QB

21. kd75 says: Jun 26, 2014 1:16 AM

There is a Sanchez joke in here…

22. asiaholman says: Jun 26, 2014 5:25 AM

Jake Locker take us to the playoffs. I have a great feeling that this year will be a good year #Titanup

23. ctiggs says: Jun 26, 2014 7:59 AM

Lockers has dreams of being Kaepernick. Bob Sanders thinks this guy is soft.

24. whatjusthapped says: Jun 26, 2014 8:18 AM

I would go so far as to say, he’s better than Christian Ponder. But then again, what QB on any NFL roster can’t say that.

25. titansbro says: Jun 26, 2014 8:29 AM

Lol @ Jags fan up there. Listen, if (big if) Locker can stay healthy I really think he can be special. But Bortles, dude has bust written all over him. I actually hope he turns out ok because I miss the Titans-Jags rivalry from the late 90s early 2000s when both teams were pretty good. But I just don’t see it. Even if he winds up being pretty good, the Jags are still gonna be last place in the division this year. For starters, Henne is still your starter. And there just isn’t enough talent on that team to compete yet. Wasting high picks on Blackmon & Gabbert were killers. And then not trading MJD when he still had value was also a mistake.

26. titansbro says: Jun 26, 2014 8:30 AM

And this coaching staff should like him. He was very good last year when they waxed the Chargers right in Whisenhunt’s eyeball.

27. bucsorbust says: Jun 26, 2014 8:45 AM

Yeah, they always said Josh Freeman worked hard.

28. bassplucker says: Jun 26, 2014 9:00 AM

Jake Locker and Sam Bradford are two guys that have to drive their teams’ fans crazy. They’re a couple ticks short of being legit, but yet they’re good enough to keep their GMs from bringing in anyone who might have a chance to be an upgrade.

29. ringheadcrusher says: Jun 26, 2014 10:44 AM

Lot of players going into make or break seasons this year. Jake is definitely one of them. After what I saw of him briefly last season, I’m pretty far over on the “he’s going to succeed” side of the thought spectrum. But those injuries, wow… Arm strength issues aside (it’s just 3rd on my list of QB attributes ranked in order of importance), I always thought Chad Pennington could have been one of the greats if not for the same issues. But you can’t be great when you only have two 16-game seasons in 11 years. Hopefully Jake doesn’t go that route.

30. dodohead418 says: Jun 29, 2014 3:18 AM

I have a feeling with this OL and improve coaching staff. Jake is going to be good!