Joe Montana, Jerry Rice playing final game at Candlestick

tumblr_mlb0org6cs1qm9rypo1_1280 AP

The 49ers are preparing to move into a gleaming new stadium.

But some legends are planning one final game at the old one.

Via Vic Tafur of the San Francisco Chronicle, Joe Montana, Jerry Rice and many other stars are scheduled to play in the upcoming Legends of Candlestick flag football game.

This is like the gladiators returning to the Colosseum in Rome, paying their tributes to a historical stadium,” former 49ers running back Roger Craig said. “This is a big deal.”

Of course, Craig is helping put the July 12 event together, so he has reason to hype it. But there is an impressive roster of players en route, and a waiting list. Other players scheduled to attend include Steve Young, Ronnie Lott, Dan Marino, Tim Brown and Rod Woodson.

“They want to pay their respects to the Stick,” Craig said. “There were a lot of great, classic games played there. . . .

“I just hope there aren’t too many injuries. Some of these guys’ playing condition is a little bit suspect.”

Even if it’s not the spectacle it used to be (kind of like Candlestick itself), the game should still be an experience to see if all the legends make it through the game in one piece.

Permalink 41 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers
41 Responses to “Joe Montana, Jerry Rice playing final game at Candlestick”
  1. rainponcho87 says: Jun 26, 2014 9:59 AM

I want tickets! That sounds awesome.

Anyone else want to see a short summer league of “senior” football? The Champions Tour in golf is big business. I think a lot of us would be excited to see some of our favorite players again. Modify the rules to make it easier on their bodies, that’s fine. I would watch.

2. wisconsinhillfolk says: Jun 26, 2014 10:01 AM

This is not a big deal. You are not gladiators. There’s a certain dignity to fading into the sunset, to becoming an elder statesman. This lacks that.

3. pigskinjunkie66 says: Jun 26, 2014 10:03 AM

Much respect to both men. Two of best in my lifetime.

4. medialovesthecowboys says: Jun 26, 2014 10:04 AM

Diehard Cowboy fan, grew up hating the Niners obviously. Candlestick has great memories with all of those NFC Championship games between the Boys and Niners.

Field of Jeans is very cool looking stadium, but the memories of games played at Candlestick will never die.

5. trollhammer20 says: Jun 26, 2014 10:04 AM

Abe Vigoda and Betty White are ready to take some fools down.

6. redngold1 says: Jun 26, 2014 10:04 AM

The salad days, the glory days, the team of the eighties all at once in the biggest stadium (location) mistake of the century. Those were the days, my friend. Those were the days.

7. toddm6d says: Jun 26, 2014 10:09 AM

It’s like Tecmo Super Bowl all over again!

8. jghs38 says: Jun 26, 2014 10:12 AM

Not a 49ers fan but I would pay to see that game.

9. bobleblah says: Jun 26, 2014 10:22 AM

I hope they invite Charlie Garner.

10. chicagotomahawk says: Jun 26, 2014 10:22 AM

Joe Montana and Jerry Rice. The only 49ers the 49er fans can name that aren’t on the current roster.

11. kkalama1 says: Jun 26, 2014 10:24 AM

I think they want the real sb winners here, not people who get there once and choke

12. csbanter says: Jun 26, 2014 10:29 AM

Gotta have primetime, Dallas big 3, and Phil Simms in this as well.

13. justinnelson71 says: Jun 26, 2014 10:29 AM

Will this be aired live on NBC?

14. udkidd says: Jun 26, 2014 10:33 AM

No invite for T.O.?

15. rg3sus says: Jun 26, 2014 11:03 AM

I hope this is televised. I will absolutely watch

16. trytobnimble says: Jun 26, 2014 11:11 AM

I used to love old timers game in baseball. Now, I think they’re sad.

17. woodsidegil says: Jun 26, 2014 11:57 AM

Easy guys, this is being played for very good charitable causes.

18. weepingjebus says: Jun 26, 2014 11:58 AM

The Jets will have scouts there.

19. mahimike says: Jun 26, 2014 12:00 PM

Maybe the raiders can move in. I hear they need a stadium. They don’t need lights. It’s a black hole.

20. seabiscuit3577 says: Jun 26, 2014 12:02 PM

Two great players!

21. granadafan says: Jun 26, 2014 12:05 PM

Tickets are $50 and benefits the Firefighters Cancer Prevention Foundation. Many participating are legends, some not so much:

49ers legends: Joe Montana, Steve Young, Jerry Rice, Roger Craig, Ronnie Lott, Dwight Clark, Charles Haley, Dwight Hicks, Brent Jones, Bubba Parris, John Taylor, Keena Turner, Eric Davis, Tom Rathman, Jesse Sapolu, Jim Burt, Barry Helton, Riki Ellison, Bruce Collie, Eric Wright, Guy McIntyre, Isaac Bruce, Junior Bryant, Kevin Fagan, Michael Walter, Mike Shumann, Mike Wilson, Steve Bono, Tim McKyer, Tony Parrish, Walt Harris, Wesley Walls.

All-Stars: Dan Marino, Drew Bledsoe, Tim Brown, Rod Woodson, James Lofton, Anthony Munoz, Bart Oates, Carnell Lake, Dana Stubblefield, Ed McCaffrey, Everson Walls, Eric Allen, Dave Krieg, Greg Townsend, Kevin Gogan, Terry Kirby, Byron Chamberlain, Dan Saleaumua, Dave Szott, Dixon Edwards, Marcellus Wiley, Mark Collins, Mark Jackson, Michael Perry, Mike Sherrard, Robert Griffith, Ron Heller, Scottie Graham, Tony Casillas, Troy Vincent, Will Shields.

22. kamthechancellor says: Jun 26, 2014 12:05 PM

Ah the eighties…before the cell phone and computers…before free agency and the salary cap…those were the days.

23. abninf says: Jun 26, 2014 12:15 PM

Aikman and Irvin should play there since they owned that stadium.

24. Aaron Rodgers Has Tiny Hands says: Jun 26, 2014 12:18 PM

I see Anthony Carter wasn’t invited.

25. harrisonhits2 says: Jun 26, 2014 1:03 PM

No, this is not like “gladiators returning to the colliseum”.

Until football players go at each other with swords, tridents, axes etc and leave a lot of dead bodies on the field, its not even close.

26. spiderbite108 says: Jun 26, 2014 1:18 PM

What they are not telling you is it’s a flag football game. “It’s not about the score, it’s about having fun” BORING.

27. pooflingingmonkey says: Jun 26, 2014 1:21 PM

Rice = GOAT. Montana isn’t too shabby, either.

28. rutchaser says: Jun 26, 2014 1:43 PM

Cool they are doing it but it blows my mind some of you would pay and take the time to go watch this.

29. Ed Bandell says: Jun 26, 2014 1:46 PM

Sadly a great player for that era can’t be with the team in Dave Waymer. He was one of the best in the game during his time.

I also didn’t see Merton Hanks on the list. For those of you who don’t remember him he had a unique celebration every time he made a play. He would strut and look like a human bobble-head.

I also don’t see Harris “House” Barton on the list.

30. twinfan24 says: Jun 26, 2014 1:53 PM

They need Dwight Clark for that game. Not saying he was the greatest 49er, but The Catch is how I will always remember that stadium.

31. j0esixpack says: Jun 26, 2014 2:20 PM

Not a Niners fan – but that’s awsome!!!!

32. juliusanonymous says: Jun 26, 2014 2:30 PM

Ah… Whiner fans, perpetually stuck in the 80′s. I guess watching Montana play flag football is probably a lot better for them than watching Kaepernick repeatedly lose big games.

#KissTheRing
    #2014WorldChampionSeahawks

33. 49erborn says: Jun 26, 2014 2:32 PM

Definitely would be good to see Dwight Clark for this one. I have so many memories of Candlestick, starting from the first year. Watching Willie Mays, Juan Marichal, Stu Miller, Jimmy Davenport and Mike McCormick with my Dad on a Saturday afternoon Giants game, when it seemed the whole City came out when Koufax and the Dodgers were in town…..and being there in the seventh row in the corner of the end zone where Dwight caught “The Catch” in the ’81 NFC Championship….that party lasted for 3 hours after the game! So many greats of baseball and football played on that field. Sure it was windy, cold, bitterly unforgiving….but that was only in the summer! I will treasure that park in my memories forever….God bless the ‘Stick.

34. sonoco says: Jun 26, 2014 3:37 PM

Yes the 80′s were wonderful . . . when the 49ers became NFL royalty at Candlestick . . . FOREVER!!! Deal with it haters! Embrace it 49er fans!

35. renaldorae says: Jun 26, 2014 5:42 PM

I think its great there were some great games at the stick and its good in the san fransico tradition to give the old park a good send off. organizers need to have the players come out to the music on the opening credits of the Gauntlet with clint eastwood and the raider theme song as their leaving.

36. dacktle49 says: Jun 26, 2014 5:45 PM

This will be a cool farewell game for the Stick. And for all the Seatrolls for your info the 49ers have more hall of famers than Seattle could ever dream of and Julia you are so perpetually stuck in your own imagination of being a die hard Seahawk fan, driving your make believe cars and actually believing Seadderall has any chance of repeating or winning another championship in your lifetime.

#DIRTYRING
    #KISSALL5RINGS
    #SEATTLEFANBASEEST.2013

37. higheriqthanyou says: Jun 26, 2014 6:26 PM

Who is Superbowl Champs TODAY???

Not 20 or 30 years ago but TODAY?

I thought so.

Having said that, this collection of old men could beat the current Santa Clara team.

38. sportstalkprofessional says: Jun 26, 2014 6:41 PM

Cool that Everson Walls will be there: they can have him pretend to cover Dwight Clark again!!!

39. kidsamoa260 says: Jun 26, 2014 8:27 PM

Then after that, they’re turning that dump into a lowrider car show or swap meet!

40. usdcoyotesfan says: Jun 26, 2014 9:01 PM

I have little respect for Rice ever since he was somehow ruled down by contact on an obvious fumble against my Packers in the 1999 playoffs (’98 season). The game should have ended there. Instead, that absolute JOKE of a call salvaged the 49ers’ winning drive and set up “The Catch II”.

41. buckett55 says: Jun 27, 2014 3:13 PM

Anyone who thinks this event isn’t kool has serious issues. I list of wonderful X-players, paying tribute to a wonderful stadium, and raising money for a wonderful cause. I would pay to see it but being that I’m so far from SF I hope it’s televised.