PFT Live stands down for soccer

Soccer AP

If you haven’t heard, the U.S. men’s soccer team plays Germany at noon ET on Thursday in something called the World Cup.  (That’s not, as some have suggested, a male protective device with a map of the globe imprinted on it.  And the over/under on “Yours would be Pluto, Florio” comments is 15.5)

While I still have concerns about soccer — from the “It Ain’t Over ‘Til It’s Over, And That’s Not ‘Til One Guy And Only One Guy Tells Us It’s Over” timekeeping procedures to the multiple stretches where the game looks like a group of college kids kicking a ball around leisurely on the grass field by the admin building — the same sense of national pride that prompts sudden interest in a wide variety of otherwise ignored Olympic sports every four years has engaged the “U-S-A!  U-S-A!  U-S-A!” reflex.

But since the game/match/whatever kicks off/tips off/pushes off/whatever at 12:00 p.m. ET, I had a problem.  That’s when PFT Live begins.  Thanks to coach Jurgen Klinsmann, who provided the entire nation with a “get out of work free” pass on Twitter, I’ve persuaded the powers-that-be to empower me to watch the game/match/whatever.

And that’s what I’ll be doing.  At least until 1:00 p.m. ET, when I press pause on the DVR and dial up Jon & Sean on 97.5 The Fanatic in Philly for a weekly visit.

After that, I can fast forward through the many hackey-sack sessions at midfield, looking for those rare moments when there’s an actual attack on the goal.

Or for the biting.

Permalink 16 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
16 Responses to “PFT Live stands down for soccer”
  1. zombiepatriot says: Jun 26, 2014 10:11 AM

Go Deutschland!

2. trollhammer20 says: Jun 26, 2014 10:16 AM

There hasn’t been this much anticipation for a US-Germany matchup since June of 1944.

3. 4949centennial says: Jun 26, 2014 10:16 AM

It’s not bandwagon if you are rooting for your country. It’s patriotism. All Americans should be rooting for our country regardless of your heritage. Go USA!!!

4. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Jun 26, 2014 10:22 AM

Soccer is dumb. They should play a real sport like football.

5. doctorrustbelt says: Jun 26, 2014 10:29 AM

Go U.S.A. ! ! !

6. citizenstrange says: Jun 26, 2014 10:38 AM

The Brazilian city of Recife where the U.S. is playing Germany has flooded

Good thing we’re mudders! Our mother was a mudder … Our father was a mudder!
    U.S.A.! U.S.A.! U.S.A.!

7. thestrategyexpert says: Jun 26, 2014 10:41 AM

How are people watching the game supposed to help the USA advance to the next round? I could see how it could inspire people to get interested and that could indirectly end up instilling more confidence in the team to somehow perform better in future rounds, but I don’t see how tuning in to watch increases the odds of advancing to the next round. And why is it that important anyhow considering the coach already declared it to be unrealistic to win the World Cup?

Also can’t you watch the game on mute and still talk about Goodellball topics?

8. 700levelvet says: Jun 26, 2014 11:00 AM

Soccer blows

9. javierjiminy says: Jun 26, 2014 11:05 AM

Germany will win the game. Clearly they are the better team.

10. pnut87 says: Jun 26, 2014 11:11 AM

TEAM AMERICA!!!

11. daaabears says: Jun 26, 2014 11:14 AM

Florio, this is the funniest thing you have ever said. Still laughing!
    ” That’s not, as some have suggested, a male protective device with a map of the globe imprinted on it.”

12. granadafan says: Jun 26, 2014 11:52 AM

Good for you, Florio. Go USA!

13. touchdownroddywhite says: Jun 26, 2014 12:28 PM

So you bail of those of us who count on you to fill our lunch time void to watch a game that you don’t really care about and are going to DVR come 1pm for a radio spot? You could’ve just DVR’d the whole thing man. Now what am I supposed to do on lunch?

14. Philip Schwarz says: Jun 26, 2014 12:51 PM

I didn’t realize followers of American football were so insecure regarding real football!!!

15. gixrider says: Jun 26, 2014 1:00 PM

“That light on the other side of the tunnel is the freight train of futbol that is going to run over American football in the next 20 years.”

I remember my 5th grade teacher who was from Brazil tell us much the same thing as he desperately tried to get us to try playing soccer over football during recess. “Get on board guys, it’s coming! There’s a pro league now! Look at how popular Pele is!”

That was 32 years ago.

16. javierjiminy says: Jun 26, 2014 1:59 PM

I told everyone germany would win. I was right. Just be glad you guys made it out of this round.