Blake Bortles thought Cleveland might select him

Blake Bortles AP

Blake Bortles as a Cleveland Brown?

The Jaguars’ rookie quarterback himself thought it was quite possible.

Bortles told the Willoughby, Ohio News-Herald he believed he could be taken by the Browns, who had two first-round selections and a clear need at quarterback when the 2014 NFL Draft began.

“I definitely thought there was more of a possibility I’d be here than Jacksonville, but that’s not the way it turned out and I couldn’t be happier to be where I am,” Bortles said in a story published by the News-Herald on Friday, with the former Central Florida star noting that he was “as surprised as anybody else” when the Jaguars took him third overall.

With the No. 22 pick, the Browns took their rookie passer, selecting Johnny Manziel, whose every move draws scrutiny, it seems.

“He’s way more under the microscope,” Bortles said of Manziel, according to Jeff Schudel of the News-Herald. “He’s way more of a celebrity than me. He’s got a lot of stuff to deal with that I don’t have to.”

Indeed, that seems to be the case, to say the least.

Permalink 22 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Home, Jacksonville Jaguars, Rumor Mill
22 Responses to “Blake Bortles thought Cleveland might select him”
  1. lennydpocketqb says: Jun 27, 2014 7:19 PM

Bortles seems like a grounded guy. It wil be interesting to see if he can raise Jacksonville out of the primordial ooze they currently reside in.

2. abninf says: Jun 27, 2014 7:22 PM

“selecting Johnny Manziel, whose every move draws scrutiny, it seems.”
    ====================================

Scrutiny from the press. Because really no one else cares that he *shock* sprayed champagne.

3. joeflaccoallday says: Jun 27, 2014 7:22 PM

Has it this a report if he said it himself?

4. captainwisdom8888 says: Jun 27, 2014 7:24 PM

I think it’s an absolute shame how the media as a whole operates these days. The undeniable power they have to shape the public’s opinion of players leave many of our favorite athletes in a prison of sorts, unable to do the things they want because the media will spin it into a team-distracting “problem.” You truly sacrifice a lot of your freedoms when you become a professional athlete, and it’s as if these guys are constantly walking on eggshells. I can go on and on about just how oppressive the media can be, but my main point is this:

Nobody is perfect, and everyone deserves the right to live their life the way THEY want to…it’s called freedom.

5. zoxitic says: Jun 27, 2014 7:32 PM

Cleveland is happy that Jacksonville took Bortles. If Cleveland selected Bortles they wouldn’t be getting all those cool videos that Johnny is putting out. Did you see the one where Johnny was trashed with a stack full of money to his ears? Cleveland must be loving all that cool stuff. They were cheering like nuts when they selected Johnny in the draft because they knew they would be getting all those cool videos.

6. Aaron Rodgers Has Tiny Hands says: Jun 27, 2014 7:40 PM

“Wait, you mean I got picked earlier than I expected, I get to make more money, I get to live near my home in Florida, and I don’t have to go to Cleveland? This has been a good day.”

7. frazzah says: Jun 27, 2014 7:48 PM

That $$$ phone bit was HILARIOUS!

8. kwjsb says: Jun 27, 2014 7:51 PM

I miss the no social media days, no one would know or care what any player was doing while on vacation.

I lived near a suburban Maryland Country Club in the ’70’s, If you had seen how much beer Sonny J and company knocked out on a night out, you would be amazed, but back then, private lives were just that….private…. and we respected that

9. denver1983 says: Jun 27, 2014 8:18 PM

Blaine Gabbert 2.0

10. phinfanatic84 says: Jun 27, 2014 10:20 PM

Blaine has a smoking hot girlfriend at home waiting for him so there’s no need for him to go hit Vegas every weekend that he’s off or go hit the clubs after OTA’s.

Two different cats living two different lifestyles. Move on to the next story..

11. 216orangeandbrown says: Jun 27, 2014 11:04 PM

Blake Bortles= Brady Quinn

12. therillest says: Jun 27, 2014 11:28 PM

Bortles needs to worry about throw a more accurate deep ball and maybe throwing some spirals and not what Johnny and Cleveland are doing. Kid isn’t looking anything like a 3rd round pick.

13. toolfan74 says: Jun 27, 2014 11:37 PM

@denver1983
    You sir are incorrect!

14. cheddarisbeddar says: Jun 28, 2014 2:55 AM

Report: Great, but they didn’t.

15. couldntthinkofaname says: Jun 28, 2014 7:16 AM

216orangeandbrown says: Jun 27, 2014 11:04 PM

Blake Bortles= Brady Quinn

__________________________

You mean the guy you Clevelanders all slobbered over and worshipped because he wore a Bernie Kosar jersey when he was a kid? That Brady Quinn?

16. bloomer006999999 says: Jun 28, 2014 7:49 AM

Both teams are gonna wish they drafted Bridgewater.

SKOL~

17. colv says: Jun 28, 2014 8:49 AM

OK, living in Cleveland Ohio ( cold and dreary) or Jacksonville, Fl where the weather is great all year long on the Atlantic Ocean. A team that has had some success in its short tenure whereas Cleveland is still dysfunctional with its new owner and new dysfunctional QB adding to the circus.

18. jpaq68 says: Jun 28, 2014 10:14 AM

denver1983 says:
    Jun 27, 2014 8:18 PM
    Blaine Gabbert 2.0
    ——————————–
    I thought EJ Manuel was Blaine Gabbert 2.0

19. vikingspride says: Jun 28, 2014 10:49 AM

For being the highest drafted QB in the draft the world sure hasn’t heard much from Bortles. Jacksonville is definitely handling this the right way. As long as he is getting the right coaching Bortles could be a huge success. Good job Jaguars.

20. rutchaser says: Jun 28, 2014 11:54 AM

Phinfanatic – having a smoking hot wife or girlfriend doesn’t take away the desire to be with other hot women.

21. surfinbird1 says: Jun 28, 2014 1:53 PM

Great pic. of him with his offensive line.

22. jagsfan2012 says: Jul 1, 2014 2:22 PM

I wonder if he would be hanging out with Justin Bieber if he had been selected by the Browns? I guess he’ll have to settle for world class golf courses and great Florida beaches. Being only 2 hours from his family is probably a plus too.