DeSean Jackson: I don’t flash gang signs

DeSean Jackson AP

Just before the Eagles cut DeSean Jackson, a story emerged saying he had ties to gang members, and that he has flashed gang signs on the field. Jackson says that isn’t the case.

What Jackson says he has done is used hand gestures with his friends to let them know that he’s thinking of them.

“If I score a touchdown or make a play and my boys at home can see me throwing up the area we’re from, that’s me showing them love,” Jackson told ESPN The Magazine. “They weren’t fortunate enough to make it where I’m at. All my friends wanted to be in the NFL growing up, but they weren’t able to do that, and I was. That doesn’t mean I forgot about them. They’re my boys, I grew up with them, and I’m going to give them love.”

The NJ.com report about Jackson’s supposed gang affiliations quoted a Los Angeles police detective saying the signs were gang related.

“Those were neighborhood Crip gang signs and he flashed them during a game. He may not be affiliated with the gang, but they don’t [ordinarily] take kindly to those not in the gang throwing up those gang signs,” the detective said.

Jackson’s response is that those may be gang signs to some, but that’s not what they are to him.

Permalink 71 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
71 Responses to “DeSean Jackson: I don’t flash gang signs”
  1. vaughnjoe says: Jun 28, 2014 7:15 AM

Yeah you do…

2. 7to85 says: Jun 28, 2014 7:16 AM

oh ok, that clears that up. Thanks DeSean

3. greymares says: Jun 28, 2014 7:22 AM

Does anybody still need to ask why Chip Kelly cut this guy.

4. officialgame says: Jun 28, 2014 7:27 AM

Here we go again. Jackson isn’t an Eagle because he was a over paid diva, that unlike a TO type didn’t work hard and was not as good. The gang signs show a lack of maturity and growth and are more red flags as to what his future will be. All diva types think they are bigger then the game and it will never end for them but the lights will go out, his “boys” will move on and Jackson will be left broke.

5. jets13 says: Jun 28, 2014 7:29 AM

“I don’t flash gang sings……….gangs flash my signs”

6. justafan2014 says: Jun 28, 2014 7:30 AM

Public at large say it means one thing..

Desean says it means another…

Redskins say it means one thing…

Some/others say it means another.

Intention vs perception = !?

7. bobbyhoying says: Jun 28, 2014 7:34 AM

It’ll be interesting to see how much longer he lasts in the NFL.

8. corvetteman6 says: Jun 28, 2014 7:35 AM

Just good, clean fun from the All American Boy. I plan on naming my first born after the guy, as he is just a vision of what America is all about.

9. jetblackninja says: Jun 28, 2014 7:36 AM

“I don’t flash local gangs signs during games, I just flash signs to my gang homies back home.”

He admitted it while he denied it….. I ain’t even mad, that is impressive.

10. GenXJay says: Jun 28, 2014 7:38 AM

in wisconsin, great friends literally flash each other.

11. bullcharger says: Jun 28, 2014 7:54 AM

He doesn’t flash gang signs except when he flashes gang signs.

12. 75rockrasin says: Jun 28, 2014 7:54 AM

He’s thinking of his boys at home by flashing their gang signs, showing he’s still thinking about his friends who are still in gangs.

But they’re not gang signs.. So does that mean he’s flashing “boys at home love signs”?

13. pleazenufalready says: Jun 28, 2014 7:56 AM

You can take the man out of the ghetto, but you can’t take the ghetto out of the man.

14. degraves says: Jun 28, 2014 7:57 AM

Paint me red and call me a fire hydrant

15. 700levelvet says: Jun 28, 2014 7:59 AM

And I don’t give other drivers the middle finger salute when they cut me off or something. I’m giving them love as well..

16. gammynomnom says: Jun 28, 2014 8:07 AM

Hes just flashing signs to his friends guys and all his friends happen to be in gangs.

17. cypriotx says: Jun 28, 2014 8:11 AM

“I don’t flash gang signs because i am a gangster, but i flash gang signs to show love to my gangsters friends” :D :D :D :D

Thank God that there is not an IQ test for drafting the to the NFL!

18. ravenswhat says: Jun 28, 2014 8:17 AM

Nobody buys that DeSean.

19. explosionsauce says: Jun 28, 2014 8:18 AM

He is basically either naive/dumb or a liar

20. dirtydrynn27 says: Jun 28, 2014 8:18 AM

Desean wasn’t that good???,,,,,Child please! He just had a career year now all of a sudden he’s not that good because he is no longer an Eagle……Don’t let your hatred blind you from the truth!

21. f1restarter says: Jun 28, 2014 8:21 AM

Hood rat.

22. Chris says: Jun 28, 2014 8:23 AM

Fact: DeSean stills aligns himself with gang members, one who murdered a minor in L.A according to police.

“They’re my boys. […] That’s me showing them love.”

Yes, you are showing gang signs DeSean.

23. Chris says: Jun 28, 2014 8:29 AM

“My friends weren’t fortunate enough to make it to the NFL.”

So what are they doing now?

Religious leaders? Accountants? Teachers?

…Police work?

24. 1logicalvoicesays says: Jun 28, 2014 8:46 AM

Degenerate. He belongs on that mess of a team with the rest of them.

25. officialgame says: Jun 28, 2014 8:48 AM

He had a career year because he played for Kelly dirty. Look at his stats for the three years prior.

26. alshonbrandontandem says: Jun 28, 2014 8:53 AM

cypriotx says:Jun 28, 2014 8:11 AM

ank God that there is not an IQ test for drafting the to the NFL!
    —–

“yes, thank you Jesus”

Morris Claiborne

27. pacodawg says: Jun 28, 2014 8:56 AM

Don’t change……Johnny football

28. campcouch says: Jun 28, 2014 9:06 AM

Somebody said let’s see how much longer you last in the NFL. Well he’s going on year 7 so I’ll bet if he hasn’t been booted yet,he’ll be around for a while. Another guy said you can take the man out of the ghetto,but you can’t take the ghetto out of the man. It’s always great to label anyplace a black person has come from as a ghetto. I like to banter with fans of the NFL because of the passion people have for a sports entity that represents their area,but it’s puzzling to me that a lot of you guys assume that black athletes are gangsters,dumb or worthless. Yeah,there are some guys that get segregated to an acceptable group because their actions fall in line with what you grew up observing or were told was the proper way. People are born and raised wherever their parent(s) can do so. So he grew up around gang members. That’s a product of his environment. Knowing people who partake in it doesn’t make you evil or a gangster,no more than you knowing someone who’s stolen makes you a criminal.

29. chrisk61 says: Jun 28, 2014 9:10 AM

i am in eagles season ticket holder in phila. my neighbor is a giants fan and thinks the giants defense — particularly the secondary — has improved so much that eagles offense won’t score a touchdown against them in either gm this yr. he wants 2:1 odds for the bet.

comments anyone ?

30. footballfan14 says: Jun 28, 2014 9:20 AM

Desean,

Keep showing your “gang” oops I meant friends from home that love. Guess what, when you are broke from wasting all your money and out of the NFL let’s see how much love they show you.

Get away from those people in your hometown and grow up. Those people don’t really care about you. They are jealous of you and just want your money. You will see where you stand when the NFL fame is gone and the money has been spent.

31. 25cuts says: Jun 28, 2014 9:22 AM

@chrisk61:

Take that bet. It’ll be the easiest money you make. People that think the eagles offense won’t be good are naive. They’re going to be just as good if not better than last year. Still the favorites to win the east! Haters will hate, that’s just how it goes!

32. 4512dawg4512 says: Jun 28, 2014 9:30 AM

Haha, One of you geniuses said that TO didn’t work hard and wasn’t as good as D-Jack. You Eagles fans are adorable. I guess rehabbing from a broken leg and coming back several weeks ahead of schedule to show up big in the Super Bowl constitutes as “not working hard”. TO was the best receiver you guys ever had and rather than restructuring his contract your front office blew it and pointed their finger at him and the fans bought it. Still cracks me up

33. 1phillyphan says: Jun 28, 2014 9:31 AM

Lets ‘s take a poll to so who gets closest to the week D/Jax finally melts down about not getting receptions, TD, ect…he is like so many other DIVA WR’s who think they are bigger then the team. TO/ Chris Carter/ KeShawn Johnson/ Micheal Irvin ect..all are waiting for D Jax to join them in the NFL crying club. DeSean..in case you haven’t noticed.You’re NOT an Eagle anymore…You missed team meetings, you cried about not getting the ball, you pouted about having to block, and most of all you cried about a new contract 2 yrs into a 4 yrs sweet deal because you spend money like kid. Your record label sucks. You’ve already shown you won’t play hard until you get your way. Frankly for a WR who wasn’t even the best WR on his own team ( Maclin had more catches, for more yrds, and more TD’s every year he played along side of you. Tic tock, Tic Tock..week 5 tops before the D jax Bomb explodes and the REAL reason Chip sent you packing will surface…You’re waiting for week three to show the Eagles what a bad move it was letting you go?..Its more like the Eagles defense can’t wait to show you ( and the rest of the NFL) how you can’t beat press coverage

34. outlawjodie says: Jun 28, 2014 9:36 AM

You can’t be a little pregnant, Homes.

35. mrhoban says: Jun 28, 2014 9:43 AM

You above. Please read more carefully. He said he wasn’t a hard worker like t.o. As in at least t.o. was a hard worker.

We all know t.o. was our best receiver. But all you need to do is look at his career post eagles to figure out if he was the problem.

You people who can’t read crack ME up.

36. east96st says: Jun 28, 2014 9:49 AM

chrisk61 – I am REAL Giants fan and your “friend” (if he exists) is an idiot. But, at least he’s seen his favorite team win a Super Bowl multiple times in his life. So, feel free to take his money. If he feels bad about it, all he has to do is remember he’s not an Eagles fan watching five decades, and counting, of his favorite team never getting the job done. Think of the money as a “pain and suffering” payment from a guy who has had a LOT of laughs at your expense. Every summer you clowns chirp “this is the year” and every February Giants fans laugh and laugh and laugh.

37. zinger92 says: Jun 28, 2014 9:50 AM

dawg, are you seriously trying to defend TO? Dude is the picture of a narcissist. Besides it seems like he did REALLY WELL after he left… Off subject as well.

38. thefiesty1 says: Jun 28, 2014 9:55 AM

Ghetto style! Some people just can’t put it behind them.

39. theravenmaniac says: Jun 28, 2014 9:58 AM

No boss the middle finger is how I say what up to my co-workers i don’t know what it means to you.

40. tonyc920 says: Jun 28, 2014 10:05 AM

In Minnesota, those same signs are how you order lutefisk and a beer at the local Applebee’s. SKOL !

41. petecarrolmorelikecheatpayroll says: Jun 28, 2014 10:17 AM

His next excuse will be “I’m not flashing gang signs, I’m giving props to my peeps with rheumatoid arthritis and Parkinson’s!” Dude is a tool…

42. dstep24 says: Jun 28, 2014 10:39 AM

“For example, one of my signs means the mule got the pack, the money transfered hands and the bills are unmarked. That’s LOVE right there. “

43. hellawaitsusall says: Jun 28, 2014 11:01 AM

What a punk. Like most of the city kids playing in the NF, they all wanna that image. Yet won’t take credit when the media wants to give it to them.

44. janvanflac says: Jun 28, 2014 11:10 AM

“Haha, One of you geniuses said that TO didn’t work hard and wasn’t as good as D-Jack. ”

That’s NOT what he said….reading comprehension, anyone?

Everyone knows TO was an incredibly hard worker, and what he did in the Super Bowl was superhuman, he almost single handedly won that game. Unfortunately he was a head case. DJax is a different kind of head case, but a head case nonetheless. And not to say he’s not a hard worker, but he is definitely not a team player and he packs it in when things aren’t going well, or against tough competition.

45. notthetroll says: Jun 28, 2014 11:32 AM

Thankfully I don’t know what gang signs look like save a few episodes of the (Discovery?) show Gangland. I doubt there is much to DeSean’s gestures and if there is, he’s still free to do them.

46. koolrepetoire says: Jun 28, 2014 11:39 AM

I wish you bitter Eagles fans would move on. He’s gone. Is Aaron Rodgers flashing a secret gang sign with his TD gesture? Is the Denver High Mile salute a gang gesture? Are elaborate handshakes secret gang codes? Are NFL owners in the Illuminati? The Eagles said his release was football related right? The LAPD said he has no ties to a gang. CRIPs don’t wear Redskins paraphernalia because it’s associated with the BLOODs.

47. 9erandraiderfan says: Jun 28, 2014 11:47 AM

Hard to be a brotha in America. Since when does throwing signals to friends automatically mean that those signs are gang related? How do these sign coincide with organized crime? Dis anyone even ask? You don’t know. But, he’s black, his friends are black, he’s signaling them, so this must be some kind of organized crime gang affiliation. Please. If was a player I would give the media the Marshawn treatment.

48. distracted9 says: Jun 28, 2014 11:49 AM

So when DeSean and D’Angelo were in each others faces last year it made Jackson feel the need to remember the ones that didn’t make it in a threatening way.? He threw up his hand gesture as if he was pulling out a gun trying to intimidate and evoke fear.. of course maybe it was all in good fun. Anyone wonder why he spells Jaccpot with 2 Cs? It’s common amongst Crips to replace “CK” with a “CC” because the bloods use CK as Crip Killer. How long before he changes his name to Jaccson?

49. corduroy88 says: Jun 28, 2014 11:50 AM

“I don’t flash gang signs, [I discretely show them quickly for all to see].”

-DeSean

50. floriothenbclapdog says: Jun 28, 2014 12:22 PM

Can you please just stick to the ongoing name change debate? It is the only reason I come here.

51. dcstinks says: Jun 28, 2014 12:24 PM

DeSean you will get your bell rung and be out for the year. Then you can flash all the signs you want.

52. superslugg says: Jun 28, 2014 12:29 PM

Chip Kelly’s initials

53. granadafan says: Jun 28, 2014 12:45 PM

If DeSean’s boys back home were truly his friends they’d tell him to knock it off. It’s making him look bad. He’ll have less money to throw around at the clubs next time for his posses and entourages.

54. joetoronto says: Jun 28, 2014 1:20 PM

“They’re my boys, I grew up with them, and I’m going to give them love.”

And end up broke as soon as he retires.

55. oreo51 says: Jun 28, 2014 1:38 PM

Chip Kelley was wise to disassociate himself from this Crip. He will end up in prison before he is through.

56. sonopazzo6 says: Jun 28, 2014 2:37 PM

Now he can throw up some Navajo, Cherokee or Apache signs…….that ought to make everyone happy!

57. bearshaterseverywhere says: Jun 28, 2014 3:03 PM

Nope, but you do flash 50 Grand and leave it in your car to get robbed. Go DeSean you’re overrated and a lil punk.

58. sportsfan18 says: Jun 28, 2014 3:07 PM

Your nose is growing Pinocchio…

59. steves11 says: Jun 28, 2014 4:19 PM

So Jackson throws them some love. They would probably appreciate it more if he threw them some money.

60. rkov says: Jun 28, 2014 5:10 PM

Desean and Washington deserve each other, #basementlife

61. GenoAtkinswillnotbestopped says: Jun 28, 2014 6:08 PM

bobbyhoying says:
    Jun 28, 2014 7:34 AM
    It’ll be interesting to see how much longer he lasts in the NFL.
    ——–

You got a thumbs up simply for being Bobby Hoying. Go Bucks!

62. realitycheckbaby says: Jun 28, 2014 6:16 PM

This guy is a liar, a moron or more likely, both.

Props to Philly and their whale coach for dumping him.

63. steves11 says: Jun 28, 2014 6:19 PM

Why would someone call themselves Bobby Hoying, unless they really were Bobby Hoying? Younger Eagles fans probably don’t even remember who Bobby Hoying is, and probably very few people who don’t follow the Eagles regularly have ever even heard of him.

64. xiiprestige says: Jun 28, 2014 6:23 PM

So tell mr Jackson if ur not affiliated with them then why do you have 5 known crip tattoos?

65. sumkat says: Jun 28, 2014 7:05 PM

4512dawg4512 says:
    Jun 28, 2014 9:30 AM

_________________

Why would you respond to a post you obviously didn’t read through. The post said Jackson is NOT as good as TO, and he DOES NOT work as hard. But good job arguing with him and saying the same thing. Clown

66. jayovalentine says: Jun 28, 2014 8:52 PM

Who cares at the end of the day ?? He isn’t out doing gang member activities like Aaron Hernandez did. Matter of fact… has the kid even been in trouble like players such as : Aldon Smith and his guns & bombs, Marshawn Lynch and his swept under the rug DUI’s, Ray Rice imitating Ike Turner, Golden Tate/Russell Wilson beef, and I could go on. So many hypocrites are quick to rush to judgement…

67. forever9ers says: Jun 28, 2014 10:10 PM

“I flashed signs to my friends, who just happened to be all gang members.”

68. 4512dawg4512 says: Jun 28, 2014 10:47 PM

Zinger92- with all respect, look at the numbers. T.O was The most productive wide receiver in the NFL throughout his three years with the Cowboys. The Eagles could have had that but they blew it

69. pv1960 says: Jun 29, 2014 7:00 AM

He may end up like another Philly star. Allen Iverson. BROKE after it’s over.

70. richardtrains says: Jun 29, 2014 9:28 AM

Mr. Jackson was my favorite player on the Eagles and sorry to see him go to the Redskins.

71. dallascowboysdishingthereal says: Jun 30, 2014 1:45 PM

So in other words you are actually flashing signs to gangs your home boys are involved with not just flashing gang signs.

Well that’s different….